Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

3 posters

George H.W. Bush dies at 94. What did Russians think of him?

andalusia

George H.W. Bush dies at 94.  What did Russians think of him? Empty Re: George H.W. Bush dies at 94. What did Russians think of him?

Post  andalusia Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:50 am

President George H.W. Bush dies at 94.  What did Russians think of him?

I know when the Cold War ended that the USSR ended the Warsaw Pact and pulled their bases out of Eastern Europe but the US did not do the same with NATO and their bases in Germany and Italy.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/11/30/president-george-hw-bush-dead-dies/
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

George H.W. Bush dies at 94.  What did Russians think of him? Empty Re: George H.W. Bush dies at 94. What did Russians think of him?

Post  flamming_python Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:59 pm

andalusia wrote:President George H.W. Bush dies at 94.  What did Russians think of him?

I know when the Cold War ended that the USSR ended the Warsaw Pact and pulled their bases out of Eastern Europe but the US did not do the same with NATO and their bases in Germany and Italy.

Personally I liked him, if only for the common sense he had at the time to withdraw from Iraq and not attempt to overthrow Saddam Hussein after beating his forces.

And in general under his administration things made a lot more sense. The US wasn't clamoring to support hardcore anti-Russian nationalists in the ex-USSR such as Georgia; they instead took a line of neutrality.

US intelligence work was continuing as always of course, installing friendly elites in Eastern Europe. However the actual push to expand NATO, and not to mention - intervene in Yugoslavia, didn't happen until Bill Clinton.
    andalusia

Post  andalusia Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:18 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    andalusia wrote:President George H.W. Bush dies at 94.  What did Russians think of him?

Personally I liked him, if only for the common sense he had at the time to withdraw from Iraq and not attempt to overthrow Saddam Hussein after beating his forces.

And in general under his administration things made a lot more sense. The US wasn't clamoring to support hardcore anti-Russian nationalists in the ex-USSR such as Georgia; they instead took a line of neutrality.

US intelligence work was continuing as always of course, installing friendly elites in Eastern Europe. However the actual push to expand NATO, and not to mention - intervene in Yugoslavia, didn't happen until Bill Clinton.

He ordered the bombing of innocent iragis during the First Gulf War: https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/if-you-murdered-a-bunch-of-people-mass-murder-is-your-single-defining-legacy-27dd8c9a72e6?fbclid=IwAR0uKTyDUU2Xb8n0jpJvTR6bGiI1QFAGdD1cMXsyCWtTZbJ2mVQAandOGuk
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:48 am

He ordered the bombing of Iraq, but not the invasion of Iraq.

He ordered the isolation and sanctions on Iraq that probably killed a lot of kids, and he called on the Shia majority in Iraq to rise up against the Sunni minority in control, but didn't support them and they got hammered by Saddam... but that was because he realised that if Saddam is gone in Iraq then Iran would gain a lot of influence in the region... something later US presidents forgot... with the result that now Iran is in a much better position in the ME than ever before... which is what has Saudi Arabia so scared and doing stupid things too.

Funny that the west is very selective about who it forgives... seems to have totally forgiven Germany and Japan, but not Russia... yet it has forgiven other components of the Soviet Union.

The US got support from Russian at various times through Americas history, yet during the Russian revolution the US and its western allies chose to interfere... I don't remember Russian forces fighting in the US civil war, but there were US forces camped in Siberia for quite a few years.

The only thing I can say is that in public it was all about peace keeping and the commander in charge of the forces there took that role literally and so did not interfere as much as western politicians secretly wanted him to.
    andalusia

George H.W. Bush dies at 94.  What did Russians think of him? Empty George H.W. Bush dies at 94. What did Russians think of him?

Post  andalusia Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:35 am

GarryB wrote:He ordered the bombing of Iraq, but not the invasion of Iraq.

He ordered the isolation and sanctions on Iraq that probably killed a lot of kids, and he called on the Shia majority in Iraq to rise up against the Sunni minority in control, but didn't support them and they got hammered by Saddam... but that was because he realised that if Saddam is gone in Iraq then Iran would gain a lot of influence in the region... something later US presidents forgot... with the result that now Iran is in a much better position in the ME than ever before... which is what has Saudi Arabia so scared and doing stupid things too.

Funny that the west is very selective about who it forgives... seems to have totally forgiven Germany and Japan, but not Russia... yet it has forgiven other components of the Soviet Union.

The US got support from Russian at various times through Americas history, yet during the Russian revolution the US and its western allies chose to interfere... I don't remember Russian forces fighting in the US civil war, but there were US forces camped in Siberia for quite a few years.

The only thing I can say is that in public it was all about peace keeping and the commander in charge of the forces there took that role literally and so did not interfere as much as western politicians secretly wanted him to.

Very True, I am surprised that America is challenging Russia claims in the Pacific. https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-laughs-off-us-navy-142537295.html

Also read this Garry B and I think you would agree with most of this if you don't know are ready.

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2018/12/george-herbert-walker-bush-myth-good-gulf-war.html

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:00 pm