Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+11
kvs
Werewolf
Walther von Oldenburg
George1
Tingsay
The-thing-next-door
GarryB
PapaDragon
SeigSoloyvov
LMFS
Hole
15 posters

Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general

Poll

Rate the core Star Wars movies... good or bad

[ 3 ]
    Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Bar_left10%Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Bar_right [10%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Bar_left10%Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Bar_right [10%] 
    [ 3 ]
    [ 5 ]
    Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Bar_left17%Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Bar_right [17%] 
    [ 6 ]
    Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Bar_left21%Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Bar_right [21%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Bar_left17%Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Bar_right [17%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Bar_left0%Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Bar_left0%Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 4 ]
    Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Bar_left14%Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Bar_right [14%] 

Total Votes: 29
    Hole
    Hole

Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Empty Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general

Post  Hole Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:52 pm

Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Death_10
    Very Happy

Vote for the ones you like by clicking on them... if I set this up right you should be able to like as many as you want.
    LMFS
    LMFS

Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Empty Re: Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general

Post  LMFS Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:56 pm

Hole wrote:Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Death_10
    Very Happy

That's an interesting hull indeed lol1
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Empty Re: Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general

Post  SeigSoloyvov Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:39 pm

Idk man I heard it has a weak spot where one lucky shot takes it out, Seems like terrible design to me
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:43 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:Idk man I heard it has a weak spot where one lucky shot takes it out, Seems like terrible design to me

I heard it was intentional sabotage

One of the lead designers was working for the enemy
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:44 am

And we can trust the source... a lot of brave people lost their lives getting us this information... it was the only decent new Star Wars movie in a while...
    The-thing-next-door
    The-thing-next-door

Post  The-thing-next-door Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:32 am

It is rather funny that the intentionally designed weakspot is only vulnerable to an absurdly lucky shot or a shot guided by space magic and not something more exploitable.
    Tingsay

Post  Tingsay Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:54 am

SeigSoloyvov wrote:Idk man I heard it has a weak spot where one lucky shot takes it out, Seems like  terrible design to me

Hollywood revisionist propaganda bullcrap! They only showed the last blow to make it appear it was brought down by one guy, the "Hero", conveniently ignoring all the damage it had taken over the course of the long battle.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:27 am

The-thing-next-door wrote:It is rather funny that the intentionally designed weakspot is only vulnerable to an absurdly lucky shot or a shot guided by space magic and not something more exploitable.

It's perfectly exploitable by standard shot

It's just that terrorists in question opted to use space magic instead of computer after previous one lucked out
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:37 am

With Pantsir-M guarding the weak spot the Empire would still exist. Very Happy
    The-thing-next-door
    The-thing-next-door

Post  The-thing-next-door Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:41 pm

PapaDragon wrote:

It's perfectly exploitable by standard shot

It's just that terrorists in question opted to use space magic instead of computer after previous one lucked out

If you are the lead designer and want to sabotage it but not have it blow up when first test fired perhaps you should just design the dish is a way that would cause it to catastrophically fail if it recieved any battle damage and if questioned claim that you cannot see any way around it. Or better just include a disguised self destruct in the air vents and tell your rebel friends about it, due to their policy of abducting nearby craft rather than firing on the getting on the death star would be rather easy.

A shaft that long is a 1 in 10 000 000 shot and they only attempted it out of desperation and only succeeded because of the force and
    their plot armor.

Hole wrote:With Pantsir-M guarding the weak spot the Empire would still exist. Very Happy

That is what I would always think when seeing capital ships be defeated by attackers at point blank range, that and get some bloody missiles on your ships.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and plots in those movies in general Empty Problems with Star Wars vs reality, and the plots in those movies in general

Post  GarryB Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:56 am

I think this discussion needs to move it is continues as it is Off Topic ... of course you would think the easiest way to destroy something the size of a deathstar is to build a ship slightly bigger than the Millenium Falcon and load up the empty space with containers of anti matter and then from 50 light minutes away make the calculations for light speed directly towards the death star and have it come out of hyperspace/light speed inside the death star... or at least past its shields.

If the armour is as rubbish as the armour worn by the Storm Troopers it should be easy to take out...

Moving to its own thread in the General chat section....
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:07 am

Idk man I heard it has a weak spot where one lucky shot takes it out, Seems like terrible design to me

Actually once you work out where the weak spot is it would not be that hard to turn it in to a trap and also at the same time put a few kinks down the port tube so even a successful hit wont get to the reactor..... and in the trench leading up to the vulnerable point for 1km in both directions along that trench (so the roof shielding is 2km long) from the point and back you could have shields over the top like a roof so no spacecraft flying down the trenches could climb up and away and escape and no Millenium Falcon can come down at the last second and save the day... and then 100m before the vulnerable point in both directions have a wall shield so the spacecraft could only stop and turn around and leave the way they came with no chance of firing any weapon into the port... by which time laser cannons in the trench can open fire and destroy all the attacking pilots... who will be the best pilots the rebels have of course...
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:58 pm

You could add a poll on top about which of 11 Star Wars movies is the best​

Let's have some fun
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:26 pm

Polls are limited to 10 choices sadly...
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:33 pm

GarryB wrote:Polls are limited to 10 choices sadly...

Just ditch Solo, I doubt it's anyone's favorite (if it is it would barely count as rounding error)
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:24 pm

Personally i am a trekkie

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:25 am

I remember someone comparing the two... Star Wars and Star Trek... they described Star Wars as a rollercoaster with long bits that create story and then periods of excitement... they described Star Trek as more like Sub warfare.

I have made this thread a poll about Star Wars so perhaps a new thread for Star Trek? Smile

George1 likes this post

Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg

Post  Walther von Oldenburg Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:03 pm

I've just completed watching Star Wars The Episode IX and I feel disappointed about the whole sequel trilogy.

I's just a rehash of the Original Trilogy. It would be much more ambitious to turn the Thrawn trilogy or the Yuuzhan Vong trilogy into movies.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:22 pm

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:I've just completed watching Star Wars The Episode IX and I feel disappointed about the whole sequel trilogy.

I's just a rehash of the Original Trilogy. It would be much more ambitious to turn the Thrawn trilogy or the Yuuzhan Vong trilogy into movies.

The problem it suffers from is not only bad uninspired writing, they also had their list of checkboxes which they needed to check.

strong female
    gay
    black guy
    some love story involving interracial relationship

Did I miss something?

The sequels have been only bearable because...
    a) It's Star Wars and the nostalgia was forcing me to see it
    b) some funny and awesome battle scenes
    c) because some of the old cast were involved.

I find it a bid morbid that they made CGI Carry Fisher after shie died, but Disney doesn't give a shit about how the family feels seeing their beloved one being totally unreal.
    Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg

Post  Walther von Oldenburg Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:03 pm

The Thrawn Trilogy would have been a much better choice. You get a story that
    1. logically follows the Episode VI (the Sequels don't)
    2. is very well written
    3. is known to all hardcore SW fans
    4. isn't the Original Trilogy v2.0

Except it would have to get a different director.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:25 pm

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:The Thrawn Trilogy would have been a much better choice. You get a story that
    1. logically follows the Episode VI (the Sequels don't)
    2. is very well written
    3. is known to all hardcore SW fans
    4. isn't the Original Trilogy v2.0

Except it would have to get a different director.

Star Wars for all of its limitations had a lot of potential for interesting movies. They could have made something in the vein
    of Mysteries of the Sith. Instead, they focused on cheesy PC rubbish. Pandering never gives a good product. Too many
    contradictory demands from the feelings-challenged, intolerant, sanctimonious brown shirts on social media. These clowns
    should never be pandered to, they need to be publicly shamed and ostracized.

Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg

Post  Walther von Oldenburg Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:41 pm

Sequels aren't bad because of PC. They are simply repetitive. Disney decided to make a new trilogy that is like the old one, we have Darth Vader v2.0, Death Star v2.0, (sort of ) Palpatine v2.0, Tatooine v2.0 and a sort of Luke-Leia crossover. All of that is bad as the prequels already had a lot of references to OT.

The new movies don't have to be a rehash of the old ones in order to be interesing. They can be a new formula and don't even have to be about Skywalkers.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:19 pm

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Sequels aren't bad because of PC. They are simply repetitive. Disney decided to make a new trilogy that is like the old one, we have Darth Vader v2.0, Death Star v2.0, (sort of ) Palpatine v2.0, Tatooine v2.0 and a sort of Luke-Leia crossover. All of that is bad as the prequels already had a lot of references to OT.

The new movies don't have to be a rehash of the old ones in order to be interesing. They can be a new formula and don't even have to be about Skywalkers.

A plot cannot be interesting if the primary concern of the director and his bosses is pushing PC narratives. The lack of originality is predicated
    on having priorities other than the story to make these movies. I watched them too and they were superficial pap. But that is what almost
    everything out of Hollywood is today and for decades already. But even Hollywood can produce something that holds some interest. CGI
    effects and brainless action coupled with drivel-logue are stale and boring.

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:49 pm

The first time I saw the prequels at the movies I was disappointed, but later seeing them on TV I think my expectations were lower and I actually enjoyed them... they are not my go to movies when I am bored or depressed, but I would sit and watch them if they were on.

Rogue One has the same problem because from the getgo you know exactly what is going to happen... what you don't know is exactly how.

They are tied to simplicity because their target audience is 13 year old kids so they can't make it too dark or scary which means it can't be deep or complicated... I thought the last prequel really suffered because you really didn't see the transition from a talented and basically good person turn into a monster... a nasty sadistic evil monster. Honestly... I didn't care if he killed a whole lot of Sand People, and the Younglings weren't important or developed enough for me to care about much either.

In the later movies the son of Solo was better with his helmet on... he just looked like a little boy when he took it off... and he wasn't nasty and petty and mean to others like he should have been too... they needed someone who was ruthless... he is supposed to have killed his own father in cold blood...

I remember reading a book about the Cantina on Tatooine... it was about a 250-350 page book that was filled with separate short stories all based in the cantina on Tatooine... and it just took all the different characters seen in that sequence in the original Star Wars movie and over the space of 5-16 pages or so told their story... it was really well written and I really enjoyed it... it was really all I had because Lucas didn't seem interested in making new movies about Star Wars...
    Vann7

Post  Vann7 Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:48 pm

The problems with start wars universe and movies are so many , that i could write  a book
    about it, and is not worth of saving that over rated crap. For the only thing i watch their movies
    is for the special effects ,the monsters , the space ships are cool , and some uniforms too.
    but if you try to immerse in their story , is like walt disney story for children.

With the gazillions trillions ,amount of money that hollywood spend in that super over rated
    universe , they should just drop that universe already , and leave it in the past and start something else..  but they will never do that ,because of the ammount of merchandize they have created to sell
    from tshirts to mouse pads , and this is a major part of american culture.. i rather take any day
    start trek movie over star wars.. but the best space movies drama that america have are alien movies of the creepy creature that grows and terrorize people in a space ship , and the new direction the movie is taking make it better by the time.

So what is wrong  with star wars ?

1) the story is super infantile and amateurish to say the least..
       good boys vs bad guys.. move to the "dark side" luke skywalker.. don't resist.
       but you never see that "dark side in the entire movie" is just words.

2)the lazer guns sucks donkey balls.

3) r2d2 and c3po sucks elephant balls.

4)chubaka..??   lol1   why in hell that retarded thing in in the game ,not only looks like
       a halloween costume ,but is annoying too in the movie.
    5) yoda , looks like a children toy.. is bad makeup    Laughing
    6)dark vader.. is the gayest villain in the entire movie industry.  if you plan to make a bad guy
     make it right , not like someone in a halloween costume.

7) the white storm troopers.. why they use that mask ? does it provide them oxygen ? or any
       protection?   Laughing  
    8)the teddy bears..   the jawas?  and the singing..     lol1

star wars biggest problem is that the entire movie is just looks , is just cosmetics ,all words , all acting , is all superficial , is an all ages universe oriented for children to buy their toys ,but when i was a kid , i never liked it either.. lol

So i only watch star wars for the special effects and costumes ,space ships , but could care less about the story .. because is not that immersive.

interestingly i find their video games much better ,more immersive than the movies.. kind of rare.

Hollywood who have money , all they need to do is buy the rights of  Games workshop , or better
    buy the company , and replace star wars with warhammer 40k.  is a million times superior in every way. the warhammer 40k universe is super awesome , there are real bad guys there , and the outfits
    are very cool.

So this is the problem.. hollywood have all the money ,but waste i it to produce crappy universes
    like star wars ,wonderwoman , captain america ,gi joe and other crap ,is..

Games workshop have an amazing universes in warhammer 40k  ( and warhammer fantasy ,an universe that inspired lords of the rings books and movies and that blizzard stole/copied for their games) but the problem of games workshop is that they don't have the money of hollywood and so
    they only limit to publish books ,build miniatures to paint and board games.  Rolling Eyes  

so when you have the video game industry ,or even fan videos in their homes ,put to shame
    a multibillionaire start wars industry , in terms of better world and story and immersion then you
    know Star wars sucks big time and the only reason they promote it ,is because makes money in merchandize sales.. but make no mistake warhammer universe is a million times better ,there is
    no "good side" and "dark side" .. and the variety of protagonist alien races ,not just for a beer bar fight ,but actually fight the human race is far more variety.

Why Star war universe sucks.. ? look how much more interesting the competition stories
    can do with a million times less budget than hollywood.

warhammer 40k = space alternative future focused story
    warhammer fantasy = a medieval times variation with orcs ,elf ,humans ,dwarf and many others.

Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr - Cinematic Release Trailer

warhammer fantasy cinematic
    Total War: Warhammer 2 - Cinematic Announcement Trailer

fan made mini movie clip..of warhammer 40k universe..

another mini cinematic of w40k

Star wars sucks ,because is infantile story telling ,is all cosmetics , is children and teens aimed ,
    they have been improving in latest star wars movies , but still is a cosmetic story ,with cosmetic
    characters to the largest part , that you simply don't care at all to know more about any character.

who wants to know about chubaka or r2d2 past?  or yoda past?  Star wars universe is silly dumb
    universe. and looks very amateurish.. the alien races in the movie are mostly cosmetic , just to fill
    the environment in a beer bar.

Warhammer 40k universe is more similar to how real life could be in a thousands of years, if anglo system allowed to do all they want , is very dark , is very HUGE , and the story is amazing and endless , is an universe that truly makes you think how could the future of humanity could be.. there is a lot of engineering genetics and racism like real life , a lot of innovation in new things never seen before.. like alien-necro robots? biological space ships with animal form, there is a lot of artificial intelligence robots ,with self life ,there are biological technology spaceships , there are genetically modified super humans ,reincarnation subject too , and the weapons are combination of medieval era with high tech.  in the other side the warhammer fantasy side of the universe , is lords of the rings on steroids.. all american fantasy movies and games from  lords of the rings and blizard fantasy online are heavily shamefull imitations copies in an extremely simplified way ,from the warhammer universe.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:13 pm