Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+62
Daniel_Admassu
lyle6
GarryB
LMFS
gc3762
KoTeMoRe
lancelot
TMA1
PeregrineFalcon
Backman
Hole
dino00
Tai Hai Chen
Scorpius
Arrow
thegopnik
Isos
nero
zepia
FFjet
secretprojects
Begome
Gomig-21
limb
Mindstorm
SeigSoloyvov
wilhelm
jaguar_br
tomazy
Stealthflanker
PapaDragon
owais.usmani
Sujoy
AlfaT8
Singular_Transform
The-thing-next-door
marcellogo
RTN
Azi
ahmedfire
x_54_u43
ultimatewarrior
JohninMK
Austin
Tsavo Lion
Giulio
jhelb
tanino
kvs
mnztr
Rodion_Romanovic
PhSt
Vann7
Viktor
Big_Gazza
archangelski
magnumcromagnon
miketheterrible
calripson
william.boutros
George1
ult
66 posters

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

Backman
    Backman

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 31 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

Post  Backman Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:09 am

kvs wrote:The whole "debate" is moronic.   As if the people who wrote the book (manual, whatever; it was not Americans or NATzO members)
    on the stealth EM applied mathematics cannot conduct simulations using those equations to test any design they produce.
    Somehow those equations are good enough when Americans use them, but become worthless when their authors use them.
    NATzO fanbois are certifiable retards or frothing at the mouth haters.

I have a theory for why the yankees just spew with hate for the su 57. Its because the F-22 is seen as their trophy for winning the cold war. So Russia isn't supposed to have one. Its ok if the Chinese have one. They don't hate the J-20 at all really.

The F-22 was discontinued because the Soviets went away.

The su 57 symbolizes Russia's rebirth.

kvs, zepia, miketheterrible and LMFS like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 31 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

Post  GarryB Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:40 am

They probably also don't think China can do anything but copy so they likely think most of the stuff on the J-20 looks 5th gen but inside it will be all 4th gen and not even 4+gen...

Whether they are right or not could be argued either way, but even if it is not 5th gen, those 5th gen fighters the US has have not really turned out to be that great anyway... and certainly are so expensive as to be unaffordable in numbers that mean anything.
    TMA1
    TMA1

Post  TMA1 Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:46 am

The J-20 is hyped by western press which drives me nuts. It is a flagrant collection of copied systems. The fighter itself looks like a mig 1.42 modified with almost identical western stealth features. I remember in 2015 the Chinese were asking to work with russian firms to develop an AESA radar for the fighter. And just a couple years later when it came out they were saying it had a superior AESA radar and Russian kit is totally outdated. Ridiculous.

And dont get me started on their new air to air missiles. One thing I notice that China has been doing lately is trying to one-up Russia. Remember when images from videos showed an su-35 firing an r-37m and su-57s carrying new r-77ms? China was showing some new missiles a couple days before. Russia comes out with new information about the product 30? Just a couple days before that China says development on ws-15 is ahead of schedule. Seen it multiple times when any news comes out about Russian development.

Russia should not be selling anything to China, especially not the su-57. They are not even really true allies. Communist China would gladly backstab anyone for what they would see as sensible reasons.

miketheterrible and Backman like this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:58 am

TMA1 wrote:The J-20 is hyped by western press which drives me nuts. It is a flagrant collection of copied systems. The fighter itself looks like a mig 1.42 modified with almost identical western stealth features. I remember in 2015 the Chinese were asking to work with russian firms to develop an AESA radar for the fighter. And just a couple years later when it came out they were saying it had a superior AESA radar and Russian kit is totally outdated. Ridiculous.

And dont get me started on their new air to air missiles. One thing I notice that China has been doing lately is trying to one-up Russia. Remember when images from videos showed an su-35 firing an r-37m and su-57s carrying new r-77ms? China was showing some new missiles a couple days before. Russia comes out with new information about the product 30? Just a couple days before that China says development on ws-15 is ahead of schedule. Seen it multiple times when any news comes out about Russian development.

Russia should not be selling anything to China, especially not the su-57. They are not even really true allies. Communist China would gladly backstab anyone for what they would see as sensible reasons.

I just made a post about the western defense media in general (https://www.russiadefence.net/t8342-the-western-defense-media)   and the J-20 featured in it. I was thinking the exact same thing. The J-20 is hyped just as a means of cutting down the su 57. I wish we could have good objective and respectful discussion about all the fighters. But we cant. Because the US is so partisan and full of hate for the su 57.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:17 am

Well, the J-20 is a clear rip off of Russian MiG 1.42

And yeah, their so called AESA is heavily questionable.

Add to that, if Indian mod is to be trusted, they spotted a j-20 near Tibet India border from a Su-30MKI (Bars M) from 180km bringing the j-20's stealth to heavy speculation.

J-20 is a piece of shit like nearly everything China produces. That's no secret. Hence why poor ass African nations are more interested in the Chinese equipment. Asian nations who buy Chinese equipment are buying equipment that is roughly half Chinese and the rest major components are from either Russia or Europe
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:21 am

PeregrineFalcon wrote:Very nice chanel, although the video you linked is not very helpful for our discussion [yours and mine], his other video actually is  Wink

Look at 11:15

Yes we agree. The video I linked talked about the beneficial interaction of the canard to the wing on a close coupled layout.

I don't think they had stability on their mind because anhedral angle is used for the opposite reason [unlike dihedral angle],

It can be both, depending on the position of the plane re. the CoG. If the first is higher than the second, the anhedral will be actually stabilising. But probably your theory below is better.

but maybe they wanted to direct canard vortex closer to the main wing when the plane is at higher AoA for increased maneuverability. If the canard tips vere at the same plane as the canard root, the vortex interaction with the main wing would most probably be absent at desired level.
    When the flow above the main wing has begun to experience turbulence, the vortex core from the canard will hit the flow above the wing and make it re-streamline.

Yes, close coupled canards frequently have the tips of the foreplane lifted upwards. The Eurofighter seems to me a less optimized design re. for instance Rafale, but maybe the drag requirements / supersonic flight requirements as you say were the reason for the long coupled canards and their consequences.

Anyway, I think that the PAK FA solution is the most "elegant" one regarding performance and also RCS!

It does not have the vortexes of close coupled canards but they probably compensated for that with the small LERX right besides the LEVCONs, in general I think the layout of the PAK-FA is very smart and a very good compromise.

Backman wrote:I just made a post about the western defense media in general (https://www.russiadefence.net/t8342-the-western-defense-media) and the J-20 featured in it. I was thinking the exact same thing. The J-20 is hyped just as a means of cutting down the su 57. I wish we could have good objective and respectful discussion about all the fighters. But we cant. Because the US is so partisan and full of hate for the su 57.

Not to be dismissive of Chinese, since they are progressing by leaps and bounds and will certainly come at the forefront in short to medium term, but the J-20 is a first attempt of a top of the line fighter while the Su-57 has superior design solutions compared to US 5G fighters and will force the design of new platforms able to compete in the crucial range / speed / payload characteristics. Add to that the diverging approaches to VLO among others, and you have the perfect receipt for denial and bashing from the US side.
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:18 pm

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 31 Wxzr0r10

medo, dino00, tanino, zepia, DerWolf, zardof, LMFS and like this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:11 pm

I have read this is the original nr. 1 that crashed last year, not the one to be delivered in 2020...
    Tai Hai Chen
    Tai Hai Chen

Post  Tai Hai Chen Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:11 am

Doubt there's going to be any Su-57 production jet delivered this year.

dino00 and x_54_u43 dislike this post

Tai Hai Chen
    Tai Hai Chen

Post  Tai Hai Chen Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:13 am

miketheterrible wrote:Well, the J-20 is a clear rip off of Russian MiG 1.42

Add to that, if Indian mod is to be trusted, they spotted a j-20 near Tibet India border from a Su-30MKI (Bars M) from 180km bringing the j-20's stealth to heavy speculation.

J-20 is a piece of shit like nearly everything China produces.  That's no secret.  Hence why poor ass African nations are more interested in the Chinese equipment. Asian nations who buy Chinese equipment are buying equipment that is roughly half Chinese and the rest major components are from either Russia or Europe

J-20 is no joke. It's said to be the most capable fighter jet in the world right now. DSI is something not even Russians and Europeans can do. It's basically a twin engined F-35 with better aerodynamics.

dino00 and x_54_u43 dislike this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:28 am

Tai Hai Chen wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote:Well, the J-20 is a clear rip off of Russian MiG 1.42

J-20 is a piece of shit like nearly everything China produces.  That's no secret.  Hence why poor ass African nations are more interested in the Chinese equipment. Asian nations who buy Chinese equipment are buying equipment that is roughly half Chinese and the rest major components are from either Russia or Europe

J-20 is no joke. It's said to be the most capable fighter jet in the world right now. DSI is something not even Russians and Europeans can do. It's basically a twin engined F-35 with better aerodynamics.

Common man. You can defend the J-20's strong points. That's fine. But to say it's "the most capable fighter in the world right now" is just asking to get flogged.

My main issue with the J-20 is the politics of it. China claims it's in mass production and in service and the Americans take them at their word. When there's no real evidence of either. And while China buys su 35's and sends them to the South China sea.

Can someone enlighten me on what is so great about non variable intakes in a jet that's supposed to fly fast and at high altitude ?

lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:54 am

TMA1 wrote:The J-20 is hyped by western press which drives me nuts. It is a flagrant collection of copied systems. The fighter itself looks like a mig 1.42 modified with almost identical western stealth features. I remember in 2015 the Chinese were asking to work with russian firms to develop an AESA radar for the fighter. And just a couple years later when it came out they were saying it had a superior AESA radar and Russian kit is totally outdated. Ridiculous.

I would not downrate the Chinese AESA radar capabilities. The Chinese are one of the leaders in telecommunications today and a modern radar isn't all that different from a cellphone tower.
    The Chinese also have a more advanced semiconductor manufacturing industry than Russia. A decade or two ago things might have been different but not today.
    Actually I expect the Chinese semiconductor industry to even beat the US semiconductor industry in 5 years time.

It is true that the J-20 looks like a MiG 1.42 though. With regards to their air to air missiles, since they haven't been proven in combat your guess is as good as mine.
    They did have access to Israeli missiles at one point though so not all of it must be shit. The Israelis are one of the few countries which does a lot of air combat.

With regards to China or backstabbing, or whatever, you have to remember that after the USSR crumbled the Chinese actually made a deal with Russia to solve the longstanding border issues. There was minimal exchange of land to China (perhaps a couple of small river islands). Compare that with what HATO made with both former Warsaw Pact nations and even former USSR republics after promising Gorbachev they wouldn't expand East.

magnumcromagnon likes this post

limb

Post  limb Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:40 am

lancelot wrote:

I would not downrate the Chinese AESA radar capabilities. The Chinese are one of the leaders in telecommunications today and a modern radar isn't all that different from a cellphone tower.
    The Chinese also have a more advanced semiconductor manufacturing industry than Russia. A decade or two ago things might have been different but not today.
    Actually I expect the Chinese semiconductor industry to even beat the US semiconductor industry in 5 years time.

It is true that the J-20 looks like a MiG 1.42 though. With regards to their air to air missiles, since they haven't been proven in combat your guess is as good as mine.
    They did have access to Israeli missiles at one point though so not all of it must be shit. The Israelis are one of the few countries which does a lot of air combat.

With regards to China or backstabbing, or whatever, you have to remember that after the USSR crumbled the Chinese actually made a deal with Russia to solve the longstanding border issues. There was minimal exchange of land to China (perhaps a couple of small river islands). Compare that with what HATO made with both former Warsaw Pact nations and even former USSR republics after promising Gorbachev they wouldn't expand East.
    Not to defend the chinese, but its downright moronic on american levels to claim that the j-20 is a copy of the MiG 1.44. In what way? having canards? Their fuselages
    look nothing alike. By that logic F-15 is a complete monkey see monkey do level copy of the MiG-25. 2 rudders, 2 intakes, 2 engines. hurrrrr. What about EF and rafale? What about Su-57 and YF-23?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:46 am

J-20 is what you get when you pay MiG for an aircraft design for a supersonic stealth fighter...

Can someone enlighten me on what is so great about non variable intakes in a jet that's supposed to fly fast and at high altitude ?

The F-16 can't fly faster than Mach 2.0 because it has a fixed air intake and it chokes on too much air going in to the engine at higher flight speeds.

DSI means lighter simpler air intakes but you would need to do a lot of testing... I would suspect they are not as flexible as current air intakes for high supersonic aircraft.

It's basically a twin engined F-35 with better aerodynamics.

So an overpriced dog that likely wont break the sound barrier except just before impact with the ground ...

Doubt there's going to be any Su-57 production jet delivered this year.

Flamebait?

China has 5g network technology, but does that mean Chinese AESA radars are better than anything America makes too, because the US doesn't have 5g network technology yet... not ready for production it seems... Does it mean Chinese nuclear power stations are better than Russian ones?

By that logic F-15 is a complete monkey see monkey do level copy of the MiG-25. 2 rudders, 2 intakes, 2 engines. hurrrrr. What about EF and rafale? What about Su-57 and YF-23?

The F-15 is a copy of the MiG-25... the F-15 is what they thought the MiG-25 was supposed to be, and it looks nothing like any previous US fighters.

Chinese companies often buy aircraft designs from Russian companies... Kamov helped them with a few helicopter designs too.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:11 pm

No, the j-20 isn't really capable. The Su-30 is more than a match for it.

As for the AESA radar, we don't know what modules they use.  5G t/r modules aren't the same so no, I don't count those either.

But knowing history and even recent, Chinese radar systems are considered meh, by the nation's who used it.  Also, it's the Powersupply from the jet engines to provide the necessary power to onboard electronics. And it's well known Chinese jet engines are questionable at best hence why they still use Russian engines for most part and their export jets do as well. And radar cannot operate at its potential if it isn't getting the power behind it. It is also simple physics too.

China is good at making things look flashy. But it's usually shit in performance and use. That's with its electronics down to it's construction industry.
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:53 pm

Hole wrote:Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 31 Wxzr0r10

I am not seeing the nozzles... considering the Su-57 shown at Army had the serrated ones, I am considering the possibility that the series models may make employ of them despite izd. 30 not being ready... why not?
    Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:39 pm

[quote="limb"]
    lancelot wrote:
    TMA1 wrote:The J-20 is hyped by or AESA radar and Russian kit is totally outdated. Ridiculous.
    republics after promising Gorbachev they wouldn't expand East.
    Not to defend the chinese, but its downright moronic on american levels to claim that the j-20 is a copy of the MiG 1.44. In what way? having canards? Their fuselages
    look nothing alike. By that logic F-15 is a complete monkey see monkey do level copy of the MiG-25. 2 rudders, 2 intakes, 2 engines. hurrrrr. What about EF and rafale? What about Su-57 and YF-23?

The US state dept originally implied that the J-20 was a copy of the Mig 1.44. But then the Western defense media realized that this gives Russia too much credit. So now they all claim its a copy of the F-22. The shape of the front and canopy does look Lockheed. But the jet itself isn't anything close to what the US has produced.

Imo the Russians did borrow some ideas from the YF-23. But we never hear that copy accusation from the Yankees. Because that might mean the su 57 is a good aircraft. And it would also expose their lies about the alleged issues with the su 57 canopy and intakes. Because the YF-23 has the same setup.

And yes. China has good 5g. But that is consumer electronics. Consumer goods is China's strength. Mass produced consumer goods.

Military is a whole different ball game. It's not mass produced. The economics of military equipment is just different. Just because China has good consumer electronics doesn't mean it's good at military.

miketheterrible and LMFS like this post

KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:07 pm

limb wrote:
    lancelot wrote:

Holy shit, we know that the Chinese comissioned Russian KB's to design blueprints. Kamov did the research for the Z-10. The 1.44 was used as template by the Chinese. They do not deny it.

EF and Rafale are ironically different in every aspect and it shows on the efficiency. YF vs PakFa...ok never go full retard.
    TMA1
    TMA1

Post  TMA1 Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:36 pm

look the j-20 is a good fifth gen fighter. i just have a bad attitude about communist china. not that neocons/neolibs here at home are any better. but i just dislike china throwing shade at russian kit along with the west. see it all the time. the su-57 is an incredible design with a completely unique philosophy as opposed to the j-20 and f-22/f-35. i think all four are dangerous fifth gen fighters.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:43 pm

The J-20 is more or less a 4th gen fighter masquerading as a 5th gen. It isn't a bad jet by any means but it isn't anything special to write about.
    Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:01 pm

[quote="KoTeMoRe"]
    limb wrote:
    lancelot wrote:
    TMA1 wrote:.

The Chi

Holy shit, we know that the Chinese comissioned Russian KB's to design blueprints. Kamov did the research for the Z-10. The 1.44 was used as template by the Chinese. They do not deny it.

EF and Rafale are ironically different in every aspect and it shows on the efficiency. YF vs PakFa...ok never go full retard.

I dunno if its full retard. Copy accusations are just fun.  If you had to pick an aircraft that shared the most similarities with the su 57, it would have to be the YF-23. They are both true blend wings.

https://worldwarwings.com/russias-latest-fighter-stolen-american-design-evidence-say/

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 31 De8fuws-4e7afd29-d59e-4489-a3fc-7c00d499a8c1.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNjczMmY2M2YtZDU0Zi00Nzg5LWI0ZWEtZGU0ZTIxMzMyZDk2XC9kZThmdXdzLTRlN2FmZDI5LWQ1OWUtNDQ4OS1hM2ZjLTdjMDBkNDk5YThjMS5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 31 YF-23PakFA-735x413
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:12 pm

The similarities are superficial and not even all that relevant when it comes to the bottom two photos. They actually look
    nothing alike from the side. The YF-23 clearly had more appreciation for the need to reduce cross-sectional area.
    The F-22 is really a gen 5- design hyped to the level of a 5+.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:24 pm

I think the reason was that they never used the YF was because
    1) more expensive
    2) Lockheed Martin has a stronger influence in US politics.

YF-23 was a rather good design and it wouldnt be a bad idea to grab some influence designs from it.

Backman likes this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:25 pm

miketheterrible wrote:I think the reason was that they never used the YF was because
    1) more expensive
    2) Lockheed Martin has a stronger influence in US politics.

YF-23 was a rather good design and it wouldnt be a bad idea to grab some influence designs from it.

Most planes are similar to other planes. There is way too much false attribution of originality and "copying"
    inferences.

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 31 1280px-YF-23_top_view

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 31 Sukhoi_T-50_in_2011_%284%29

Not so similar now.

George1, zepia, JohninMK and miketheterrible like this post

KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:38 pm

Backman wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    limb wrote:
    lancelot wrote:
    TMA1 wrote:.

The Chi

I dunno if its full retard. Copy accusations are just fun.  If you had to pick an aircraft that shared the most similarities with the su 57, it would have to be the YF-23. They are both true blend wings.

https://worldwarwings.com/russias-latest-fighter-stolen-american-design-evidence-say/

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 31 De8fuws-4e7afd29-d59e-4489-a3fc-7c00d499a8c1.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNjczMmY2M2YtZDU0Zi00Nzg5LWI0ZWEtZGU0ZTIxMzMyZDk2XC9kZThmdXdzLTRlN2FmZDI5LWQ1OWUtNDQ4OS1hM2ZjLTdjMDBkNDk5YThjMS5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 31 YF-23PakFA-735x413

Are we really doing this or you're taking the piss?

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 31 5gside10
    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 31 J-31-j10
    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 31 Main-q10

The YF-23 was a vastly bigger and complex plane in its design than both the F-22 and Sukhoi's Pak Fa. This is why it failed.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 6:47 pm