Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+85
Peŕrier
Azi
Rodion_Romanovic
T-47
SLB
miketheterrible
medo
eehnie
Isos
Singular_Transform
Benya
hoom
SeigSoloyvov
KomissarBojanchev
PapaDragon
AlfaT8
Big_Gazza
Kimppis
ATLASCUB
A1RMAN
Giulio
VladimirSahin
marcellogo
kvs
Rmf
par far
KiloGolf
Project Canada
chinggis
OminousSpudd
Singular_trafo
GarryB
Zivo
d_taddei2
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
Cyrus the great
Hachimoto
jhelb
archangelski
2SPOOKY4U
wilhelm
RedJasmin
GunshipDemocracy
Book.
mack8
max steel
henriksoder
Naval Fan
victor1985
Kyo
higurashihougi
mutantsushi
navyfield
type055
Werewolf
Mike E
Asf
RTN
Flanky
zino
SOC
Morpheus Eberhardt
eridan
GJ Flanker
Viktor
Hannibal Barca
magnumcromagnon
collegeboy16
Sujoy
flamming_python
TheRealist
Flyingdutchman
Firebird
Mindstorm
NickM
TR1
George1
ali.a.r
runaway
Austin
Stealthflanker
sepheronx
Russian Patriot
Admin
Sukhoi37_Terminator
89 posters

Future russian aircraft carriers. #1

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Future russian aircraft carriers. #1 - Page 29 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #1

Post  PapaDragon Wed May 03, 2017 4:17 am

Few official data on UAE contract but from what they told press, general opinion here is that they will be using current and future MiG-35 components that will be installed into freshly designed low observable airframe.

Number of engines is still a mystery. If you ask me single engine setup would be preferable.

Kuz doesn't have icebreaking abilities. Back when it was built Arctic was still inaccessible wasteland.

I don't think new carrier will have any as well. Unless they repurpose next gen icebreaker which is very unlikely.

And why would they need it for? Much simpler and cheaper to just build airfields along Arctic coastline.
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Future russian aircraft carriers. #1 - Page 29 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #1

Post  Big_Gazza Wed May 03, 2017 12:08 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    However, that tower it taking up huge amount of real estate on deck. Just by offsetting it to the side you could immensely improve this ship by extending takeoff lane.

Offsetting it further to starboard?  Have you seen the K from the front?....

Future russian aircraft carriers. #1 - Page 29 Kuznet10
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed May 03, 2017 12:38 pm

Carriers don't operate alone... to be useful the entire carrier group, from carrier down to refuelling vessel and cruisers and destroyers in between would need to be ice breakers...

And if only the carrier was an icebreaker then sailing single file through an ice sheet would make them horribly vulnerable to attack... especially from enemy subs... ASW helos are not really very efficient through ice but torpedoes set to run under the ice still work.

Most carriers have a waste position for take offs at higher weights...

The advantage of nuclear power plant and electric drive propulsion is that you don't need an enormous drive shaft and an engine connected in line with that enormous drive shaft. You can place components where you like for balance and with several propulsars you get the benefit of excellent manouver performance as well... no tugs needed.

Ok, interesting, i am assuming that pad way in the back is the long launch position, if so than i have little issues with the ship, although any future carrier will likely not have such an odd launch position.

The design of the angled deck... most inventions of carriers are british inventions by the way... is intended to allow two aircraft to be set up near the nose to take off while landing operations can continue. The landings are angled so that if an aircraft misses its arrester wire or if the wire breaks then the aircraft can get airborne again... generally as it touches down to catch the wire the pilot selects full AB so that if the wire is missed the aircraft can quickly recover speed and fly around for another attempt.

The long takeoff position is therefore only usable when there are not landing operations underway, but greatly increase the payload capacity of the aircraft operating from that position.

To launch an attack, when no aircraft need to land the waist launch positions are used to increase launch rates.

As you can see from this drawing there are two launch angles... indicated by two dotted yellow lines moving from the centre of the ski jump back to the two standard launch positions. Also as you can see the top one goes all the way back to level with the rear of the island... the three box shapes are the blast deflectors that are raised to protect things on the deck from jet engine wash when aircraft on those positions take off.

Obviously the rear position can only be used when no aircraft are landing and can of course also only be used when the front takeoff position has been vacated. That means the front one or two launch positions take off first and then the rear position is launched. All three can be rapidly launched as only two positions conflict for takeoff.

Future russian aircraft carriers. #1 - Page 29 Wpid-r11
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed May 03, 2017 1:52 pm

Big_Gazza wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    However, that tower it taking up huge amount of real estate on deck. Just by offsetting it to the side you could immensely improve this ship by extending takeoff lane.

Offsetting it further to starboard?  Have you seen the K from the front?....

Future russian aircraft carriers. #1 - Page 29 Kuznet10

Correct, it is already pushing it.

Still next one will definitely have something more efficient, preferably moved further to the back in addition to being smaller. At least base should be smaller so it frees up more space. Every square meter helps.

Also, a lot of tower's size goes on chimney. Need for this would be eliminated trough use of reactors.
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Wed May 03, 2017 9:53 pm

Ok guys, here's the thing, i have been looking at the map and the only places i can see for Russia to one day build a true blue-water fleet are the Northern regions of Murmansk and the Kamchatka region, because i am not to sure of the amount of ice these places have i was asking whether any future carrier would have ice-breaking abilities.

On that note, i have been wanting to ask whether there are any major plans to expand the naval base in Kamchatka?
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed May 03, 2017 10:16 pm

AlfaT8 wrote:Ok guys, here's the thing, i have been looking at the map and the only places i can see for Russia to one day build a true blue-water fleet are the Northern regions of Murmansk and the Kamchatka region, because i am not to sure of the amount of ice these places have i was asking whether any future carrier would have ice-breaking abilities.

On that note, i have been wanting to ask whether there are any major plans to expand the naval base in Kamchatka?

That base is homeport of pacific fleet nuke subs. Top secret if there ever was one. Any plans for expansion would be pretty classified as well.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Wed May 03, 2017 10:33 pm

AlfaT8 wrote:Ok guys, here's the thing, i have been looking at the map and the only places i can see for Russia to one day build a true blue-water fleet are the Northern regions of Murmansk and the Kamchatka region, because i am not to sure of the amount of ice these places have i was asking whether any future carrier would have ice-breaking abilities.

The russians legitimately have no good area to build a base for a carrier fleet.

Since all the ships would require icebreaking ability and the other regions can be locked down to bottle up the Carrier fleet.

People don't seem to understand the Russians have no viable warm water naval ports that have open access to the ocean all.

The only way for Russia to change this is to build annex land which they will not do or perhaps build a major base near the Kurils while they will be close to japan. They will have some easy access to the pacific.

This is a problem they have had since soviet times and one they cannot solve unless some seas stop freezing over or they magically get some new land.
    KomissarBojanchev
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev Wed May 03, 2017 10:57 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:

The russians legitimately have no good area to build a base for a carrier fleet.

Since all the ships would require icebreaking ability and the other regions can be locked down to bottle up the Carrier fleet.

People don't seem to understand the Russians have no viable warm water naval ports that have open access to the ocean all.

The only way for Russia to change this is to build annex land which they will not do or perhaps build a major base near the Kurils while they will be close to japan. They will have some easy access to the pacific.

This is a problem they have had since soviet times and one they cannot solve unless some seas stop freezing over or they magically get some new land.

Your argument only applies to the arctic ocean and baltic sea(irrelevant). The black sea hasn't frozen since the 50s and will never freeze again. Same with Vladivistok. So Russia is perfectly capable of having a blue water navy in the pacific. Once it secures Syria as an eternal ally so will the black sea fleet be capable of becoming blue water in the mediterranean.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Wed May 03, 2017 11:29 pm

KomissarBojanchev wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:

Your argument only applies to the arctic ocean and baltic sea(irrelevant). The black sea hasn't frozen since the 50s and will never freeze again. Same with Vladivistok. So Russia is perfectly capable of having a blue water navy in the pacific. Once it secures Syria as an eternal ally so will the black sea fleet be capable of becoming blue water in the mediterranean.

The Black Sea can be bottled up with little Effort via the Bos straight. also, a carrier fleet will never be deployed within the black sea.

Vladivostok can be locked down by Japan with Ease with US assistance try again.

syria will be partitioned Assad will never gain full control over it again, Thus any fleet based there will be within easy range of attack by US allies.

Post  Guest Wed May 03, 2017 11:37 pm

KomissarBojanchev wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:

Buliding carrier battlegroup in Black sea? Why not in a bathtub? Syria is not a good place for carrier to be permanently deployed either. Best place that Russia has on disposal for carrier fleet is Pacific fleet.

Post  Guest Wed May 03, 2017 11:39 pm

eehnie wrote:It is curious to see how some people here is obsessed with smaller aircraft carriers than the US has (better if they are only helicopter carriers), or..., if big aircraft carriers are done, they must be to counter China (as US tools).

WTF.

There is here a bench of "Russian supporters" that are sistematically talking against every real Russian ally. Just trolling.

And yet there are also people that are saying how China is somehow biggest Russian ally, based on what.. noone really knows.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Thu May 04, 2017 12:20 am

Militarov wrote:
    eehnie wrote:It is curious to see how some people here is obsessed with smaller aircraft carriers than the US has (better if they are only helicopter carriers), or..., if big aircraft carriers are done, they must be to counter China (as US tools).

WTF.

There is here a bench of "Russian supporters" that are sistematically talking against every real Russian ally. Just trolling.

And yet there are also people that are saying how China is somehow biggest Russian ally, based on what.. noone really knows.

Stop liying. The people is not silly.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A8%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%85%D0%B0%D0%B9%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%8F_%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B3%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0%B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D1%8F_%D1%81%D0%BE%D1%82%D1%80%D1%83%D0%B4%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%B0#/media/File:SCO_MAP_10_July_2015_-_Including_two_new_permanent_members_Pakistan_and_India.png

Future russian aircraft carriers. #1 - Page 29 SCO_MAP_10_July_2015_-_Including_two_new_permanent_members_Pakistan_and_India

https://www.rt.com/news/385912-russia-backs-iran-shanghai-pact/
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Thu May 04, 2017 1:05 am

eehnie wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

WTF.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A8%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%85%D0%B0%D0%B9%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%8F_%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B3%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0%B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D1%8F_%D1%81%D0%BE%D1%82%D1%80%D1%83%D0%B4%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%B0#/media/File:SCO_MAP_10_July_2015_-_Including_two_new_permanent_members_Pakistan_and_India.png

Future russian aircraft carriers. #1 - Page 29 SCO_MAP_10_July_2015_-_Including_two_new_permanent_members_Pakistan_and_India

Holy crap, somebody painted map green !!!

Russian allies confirmed lol1
    KomissarBojanchev
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev Thu May 04, 2017 1:38 am

Militarov wrote:
    KomissarBojanchev wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:

Buliding carrier battlegroup in Black sea? Why not in a bathtub? Syria is not a good place for carrier to be permanently deployed either. Best place that Russia has on disposal for carrier fleet is Pacific fleet.
    The Persian gulf is also not a good place to keep carriers. That doesnt stop the US navy from putting one of them there.

Post  Guest Thu May 04, 2017 11:30 am

KomissarBojanchev wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    KomissarBojanchev wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:

The Persian gulf is also not a good place to keep carriers. That doesnt stop the US navy from putting one of them there.

That is different, they do not use Gulf as permanent base, its not their homeport, they are there on deployment.

Post  Guest Thu May 04, 2017 11:31 am

eehnie wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

WTF.

lol!
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu May 04, 2017 12:36 pm

It is curious to see how some people here is obsessed with smaller aircraft carriers than the US has (better if they are only helicopter carriers), or..., if big aircraft carriers are done, they must be to counter China (as US tools).

WTF.

There is here a bench of "Russian supporters" that are sistematically talking against every real Russian ally.

Some real Russians see China as a potential threat... and why would they not... China is no buddy of Russia and acts in its own interests.

Therefore it is best to ensure Russia has capabilities to counter them if needed.

If not needed of course they can be used against other more real problems like the US and UK etc.

The US needs huge carriers to bomb countries and to mount invasions... they need 100K ton super carriers with large capacities of aircraft types for strike roles, and helicopter carriers to mount landings in places like Somalia and Grenada and Iraq etc etc.

The Russians don't need that... a decent ability to carry capable fighters to escort their ships and subs is what they need... any land attack can be mounted by cruise missiles... currently by Kalibr but later by hypersonic Zircon...the F-35 on US carriers wont match Mach -8 penetration of enemy air space performance...

A really big carrier is more expensive to buy and to operate... it offers capabilities the Russians wont need or even want.

Ok guys, here's the thing, i have been looking at the map and the only places i can see for Russia to one day build a true blue-water fleet are the Northern regions of Murmansk and the Kamchatka region, because i am not to sure of the amount of ice these places have i was asking whether any future carrier would have ice-breaking abilities.

The russians have the worlds largest fleet of icebreakers... if they want to operate carrier groups in ice they could.

The Northern Fleet and Pacific fleets are the only places they would find carrier groups useful to operate from most of the time.

The Black Sea can be bottled up with little Effort via the Bos straight. also, a carrier fleet will never be deployed within the black sea.

Are you a bit slow?

The point of carrier groups is not to hang out around their port of origin... you sail them out into open water and resupply them there... they leave port in times of tension... times of tension is not a good time to try to bottle up a fleet in the Black Sea or Vladivostok... the reaction could be lethal.

There is little to no benefit in making China an enemy of Russia.

Holy crap, somebody painted map green !!!

Russian allies confirmed

The real problem is that so many have their brains locked in the cold war.

Russia can have friendly relations with Turkey and China and India and Pakistan and Taiwan and North and South Korea... it is the advantage of a no longer communist Russia that is just interested in commerce and cooperation with countries not looking to screw them like the west does.

That is different, they do not use Gulf as permanent base, its not their homeport, they are there on deployment.

True, but then the threat of a nuclear strike on any country that attacks their carrier group in port... say Vladivostok, would be an excellent deterrent against a country like say Japan who might think of supporting a pre-emptive self defence attack.

As such that port is no less or more safe than any other on the planet... US ports hosting super carriers will be glowing 30 minutes after kickoff... I doubt US allies near Russian ports could do worse to be honest.

Besides in WWIII carrier groups and a navy are not going to be worth shit to Russia anyway.

It is during peace time that it gives her power and capacities to do certain things that a lack of such things means she can't do.

Britain and the US didn't become great and then develop their navies... they became great because they developed great naval forces.

Air power means air cover for their ships and subs away from Russia, and it also means better air warning of threats... better sight with AWACS platforms (fixed or rotary) and better protection with fighter aircraft that can be sent out to investigate threats rather than just shoot them down.

Flexibility and of course better information in times of conflict and times of peace.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Thu May 04, 2017 1:57 pm

That is different, they do not use Gulf as permanent base, its not their homeport, they are there on deployment

Still stupid to put one in a place like that where antiship missiles can be lunched in low-low trajectory and where Iranian Kilo subs are very hard to detect.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Thu May 04, 2017 3:21 pm

GarryB wrote:Russia can have friendly relations with Turkey and China and India and Pakistan and Taiwan and North and South Korea... it is the advantage of a no longer communist Russia that is just interested in commerce and cooperation with countries not looking to screw them like the west does.

The first part is right, but the communism has nothing to do with it. There are other communist countries having friendly relations with its neighbors that are also interested in commerce and cooperation.

GarryB wrote:
    It is curious to see how some people here is obsessed with smaller aircraft carriers than the US has (better if they are only helicopter carriers), or..., if big aircraft carriers are done, they must be to counter China (as US tools).

WTF.

There is here a bench of "Russian supporters" that are sistematically talking against every real Russian ally.

Some real Russians see China as a potential threat... and why would they not... China is no buddy of Russia and acts in its own interests.

Therefore it is best to ensure Russia has capabilities to counter them if needed.

If not needed of course they can be used against other more real problems like the US and UK etc.

The US needs huge carriers to bomb countries and to mount invasions... they need 100K ton super carriers with large capacities of aircraft types for strike roles, and helicopter carriers to mount landings in places like Somalia and Grenada and Iraq etc etc.

The Russians don't need that... a decent ability to carry capable fighters to escort their ships and subs is what they need... any land attack can be mounted by cruise missiles... currently by Kalibr but later by hypersonic Zircon...the F-35 on US carriers wont match Mach -8 penetration of enemy air space performance...

A really big carrier is more expensive to buy and to operate... it offers capabilities the Russians wont need or even want.

Are you a bit slow?

The point of carrier groups is not to hang out around their port of origin... you sail them out into open water and resupply them there... they leave port in times of tension... times of tension is not a good time to try to bottle up a fleet in the Black Sea or Vladivostok... the reaction could be lethal.

True, but then the threat of a nuclear strike on any country that attacks their carrier group in port... say Vladivostok, would be an excellent deterrent against a country like say Japan who might think of supporting a pre-emptive self defence attack.

As such that port is no less or more safe than any other on the planet... US ports hosting super carriers will be glowing 30 minutes after kickoff... I doubt US allies near Russian ports could do worse to be honest.

Besides in WWIII carrier groups and a navy are not going to be worth shit to Russia anyway.

It is during peace time that it gives her power and capacities to do certain things that a lack of such things means she can't do.

Britain and the US didn't become great and then develop their navies... they became great because they developed great naval forces.

Air power means air cover for their ships and subs away from Russia, and it also means better air warning of threats... better sight with AWACS platforms (fixed or rotary) and better protection with fighter aircraft that can be sent out to investigate threats rather than just shoot them down.

Flexibility and of course better information in times of conflict and times of peace.

I have not doubt some Russians see China as a threat, and would love to see the Russian Armed Forces used to counter China, like the US would like, following the scheme used in the Arab countries around Israel, promoting the fight between them so make safer Israel. I would bet this Navalny oppositor does, as example. But well, Russia has a gouvernment that does not see China as a threat.

Your comment that say: "If not needed of course they can be used against other more real problems like the US and UK etc.", is enlightening about where you are, and comes after to see you denying the attacks of Israel to Syria. For me is not casual, that you come also in defense of small aircraft carriers for Russia, and to defend explicitly that Russia does not need aircraft carriers of the size of those owned by the US, despite what has been published in the Russian Maritime Doctrine of 2015, and about the Project 23000 aircraft carrier, which would be of 90000-100000 tons (in the size of the aircraft carriers of the US). You really think Russia would offer to India bigger aircraft carriers than what Russia plans to have?

https://in.rbth.com/economics/defence/2016/07/20/russia-offers-nuclear-aircraft-carrier-to-india_613285

I would not expect Russia to use its aircraft carriers like the US does, to invade other countries, but at same time, I do not think your defense of small aircraft carriers for Russia is right.

You said some thing about why Russia would need their aircraft carriers. To escort ships and subs, for better sight with AWACS platforms, for better air warning of threats, and by economic reasons. Can you elaborate more about what is threatening these Russian ships and subs to need to be escorted? Can you elaborate more about what can threat a good sea based air warning of threats? Can you elaborate more about what can threat sea based AWACS platforms?

Post  Guest Fri May 05, 2017 12:11 am

Isos wrote:

That is different, they do not use Gulf as permanent base, its not their homeport, they are there on deployment

Still stupid to put one in a place like that where antiship missiles can be lunched in low-low trajectory and where Iranian Kilo subs are very hard to detect.

And then they would bring other 9 carries and scorch the ground where Iran used to be... Smart move right there.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Fri May 05, 2017 3:25 am

Simple math:

It costs 10-15 billion dollars to construct super carrier and it takes 10-15 years to do it.

So for 10-15 billion dollars you have a choice to buy:

a) 1 x super carrier whose maintenance costs alone would be half a billion per year

b) 10-15 x nuclear submarines whose maintenance is fraction of that cost combined

So which option makes more sense from strategic, financial and scheduling standpoint?
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Fri May 05, 2017 3:51 am

PapaDragon wrote:

Simple math:

It costs 10-15 billion dollars to construct super carrier and it takes 10-15 years to do it.

So for 10-15 billion dollars you have a choice to buy:

a) 1 x super carrier whose maintenance costs alone would be half a billion per year

b) 10-15 x nuclear submarines whose maintenance is fraction of that cost combined

So which option makes more sense from strategic, financial and scheduling standpoint?

What about a smaller carrier around 70+kT, similar to the Kuz?
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Fri May 05, 2017 4:24 am

AlfaT8 wrote:

Kuz is roughly 50kT but something like that would make more sense, especially if it is based on other type of ship like Lider destroyer

So basically Izumo or Wasp class equivalent with nuclear propulsion (20-30kT tops)

However everyone here is obsessed with "100K or nothing" approach

Nobody gives a crap if something like that his even needed

This is precisely why people who do this for a living stay the hell away from forums
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Fri May 05, 2017 6:15 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:

Kuz is roughly 50kT but something like that would make more sense, especially if it is based on other type of ship like Lider destroyer

So basically Izumo or Wasp class equivalent with nuclear propulsion (20-30kT tops)

However everyone here is obsessed with "100K or nothing" approach

Nobody gives a crap if something like that his even needed

This is precisely why people who do this for a living stay the hell away from forums

It's not that a 100k Carrier would not have use it would, however, the problem is The Russian Navy does not require such a ship.

Their naval doctrine does not call for mass carriers or huge Carriers. Russian Naval doctrine is centered around their subs a Decent sized surface fleet.

Carrier strike groups do no fit into this mold, now they will need Carriers. India is Making them, China is, the US.

I know some people will say "But they are allies". Unless Russia adds said land to their own, that means nothing allies can change at the drop of a dime.

Nothing is guaranteed, Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded by their own thoughts.

Russia WILL require at least four carriers in the future, right now however they can do without them.

Russia needs carriers for a simple reason to protect their own surface fleet and for Strike operations.

Now you don't need a 100k Carrier to protect your surface fleet, something around 70k Tons is very doable.

The navy for Russia will always be 3rd rank.

The army and Airforce always come first, Russia will never devote huge funds to support massive Carrier strike groups.

The people on here aren't naval officers and they ignore Russia's naval doctrines because they "think" they know better and this is why people like me.

Love to mock Arm-Chair Admiral and Generals because they think they know better than anyone else including the people who do it for real when the only exprience they have is shit they read online.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri May 05, 2017 11:12 am

The first part is right, but the communism has nothing to do with it. There are other communist countries having friendly relations with its neighbors that are also interested in commerce and cooperation.

I mentioned the absence of communism to highlight that Russia no longer has an ideology to push... they don't need to convert Taiwan or Turkey any more than they have to convert North Korea or Cuba. They have no need to convert of change the countries they trade with... unlike the US/West.

You really think Russia would offer to India bigger aircraft carriers than what Russia plans to have?

India was operating Su-30MKIs at a time Russia had Su-27s.

You said some thing about why Russia would need their aircraft carriers. To escort ships and subs, for better sight with AWACS platforms, for better air warning of threats, and by economic reasons. Can you elaborate more about what is threatening these Russian ships and subs to need to be escorted? Can you elaborate more about what can threat a good sea based air warning of threats? Can you elaborate more about what can threat sea based AWACS platforms?

Can we agree that Russian subs and ships need protection from enemy air power? I mean they do carry SAMs for that purpose, but then Russian Army units have SAMs as well but the Russian forces would be better protected with the cooperation of the Air Force as well as the Army.

To have air power to support the navy you need a type of aircraft carrier. You can have big ones, medium ones or small ones. Each has advantages and problems... the big ones are capable but expensive to buy and to operate. The little ones might not be that useful for longer deployments.
    My opinion is that the medium ones (ie 40-70K ton) are better than the big ones (100K ton) or the small ones (20K ton).

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:32 pm