Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+68
bitcointrader70
ALAMO
Podlodka77
Atmosphere
Lennox
mnztr
Krepost
Autodestruct
franco
Rasisuki Nebia
Gomig-21
Lurk83
Russian_Patriot_
x_54_u43
Broski
Mir
lancelot
limb
Backman
tanino
owais.usmani
LMFS
lyle6
zepia
TMA1
thegopnik
Scorpius
The-thing-next-door
KoTeMoRe
Tai Hai Chen
PhSt
d_taddei2
eridan
Viktor
JohninMK
magnumcromagnon
ult
Rodion_Romanovic
AMCXXL
Regular
hoom
Cyberspec
calripson
ultimatewarrior
SeigSoloyvov
archangelski
Gazputin
George1
flamming_python
kvs
Nibiru
GunshipDemocracy
miketheterrible
zg18
Isos
medo
GarryB
Tsavo Lion
PapaDragon
Arrow
xeno
Hole
Big_Gazza
ATLASCUB
marcellogo
dino00
william.boutros
Austin
72 posters

S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

tanino

S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 20 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

Post  tanino Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:41 pm

At 900-1000 km/h you have a great relative speed, and you can use CAS missions, even circular ones, of long duration (just replace the pilot and the remote operators with shifts). at 700 km/h missions of 5-7 hours (autonomy permitting) will be the rule. With a minimal logistic management and much more economical (but much more) if you have (and so it is) a lot of data around.

The others will have to adapt quickly.

PapaDragon likes this post

thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:57 pm

Well great news on two things, 1. we will get a production number estimate in 6 months. 2. it appears its an all aspect stealth drone because I think that image is showing a flat nozzle. If I had a choice on the matter between choosing the PAK-DP or PAK-DA like keeping one and dumping the other I will dump the PAK-DA because the ranges, all aspect stealth and being a carrier of Larva-MD missiles I see no point for PAK-DA and the modernized Tu-160Ms will have the long range and long distance stand offs.

tanino and TMA1 like this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:53 pm

S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 20 Fglb7c10
    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 20 Ohotni24
    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 20 Ohotni25
    Looks much "cleaner" then the first prototype, as expected. Can someone see a camera for the operator?

medo, dino00, magnumcromagnon, kvs, PapaDragon, Isos, zardof and like this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:54 pm

S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 20 Screen63
    Some nasty reporter with a part for the next one.
    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 20 Screen64

franco, dino00, magnumcromagnon, PapaDragon, zardof, LMFS, jon_deluxe and Autodestruct like this post

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:43 pm

Can someone see a camera for the operator?

IMO it's hidden inside and pops up when activated. Most of the time it will work on its own.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:18 pm

thegopnik wrote:Well great news on two things, 1. we will get a production number estimate in 6 months. 2. it appears its an all aspect stealth drone because I think that image is showing a flat nozzle. ...

Did anyone at any point actually think that this thing will not get new nozzle?

TMA1 likes this post

thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:55 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    thegopnik wrote:Well great news on two things, 1. we will get a production number estimate in 6 months. 2. it appears its an all aspect stealth drone because I think that image is showing a flat nozzle. ...

Did anyone at any point actually think that this thing will not get new nozzle?

the critics with russia is broke and 1st impressions mean everything approach.

PapaDragon, Scorpius, TMA1 and jon_deluxe like this post

Krepost
    Krepost

Post  Krepost Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:00 am

A better video with a better view of the tail:

dino00, kvs and Scorpius like this post

Autodestruct

Post  Autodestruct Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:10 am

Isos wrote:
    Can someone see a camera for the operator?

IMO it's hidden inside and pops up when activated. Most of the time it will work on its own.

We also don't know what kind of hardware it uses for imaging - either for targeting or control. Transparency is a material property, and it is always frequency dependent. For instance, silicon is transparent in infrared. The pilot's view camera (cameras) could be in any number of locations hidden behind selectively transparent materials.
    Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:26 am

Gomig-21 wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    Also that reporter has a well documented habit of making ass of himself

lol!  He really is a clown sometimes.  But the show is great and would be much better if he wasn't such a moron sometimes.

But that S-70 is a monster.
    [/quote]

Iike that reporter. He's got gumption. He speaks with authority.
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:29 am

PapaDragon wrote:Did anyone at any point actually think that this thing will not get new nozzle?

Do you mean anyone with a brain, right? US butthurts always found it highly unlikely, due to the lack of rubles and stealth technology of the Russians

To make their butthurt even more bitter, Sukhoi apparently implemented a major advance in the stealth technology by covering the gaps in Okhotnik's control surfaces with a flexible material, hence for the first time (to my knowledge) eliminating one of the biggest sources of backscatter of a plane...

GarryB, Big_Gazza, kvs, thegopnik, Hole and Broski like this post

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:01 am

Is it using a new smaller engibe ? Seems far smaller than the al-41.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:02 am

Most probably Al-41 without afterburner.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:36 am

Isos wrote:Is it using a new smaller engibe ? Seems far smaller than the al-41.

Video of the S-70 in flight shows it to have the exhaust nozzle focused to have a small aperture. So it appears not to need the
    full thrust of the engine installed in the first flying prototypes. This makes sense since it uses composite materials for the body
    and must be rather light. The small aperture of the flat nozzle appears to confirm this.

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:18 pm

Non AB version of the Su-57's first stage engine AL-41F-1, confirmed some time ago

PapaDragon likes this post

TMA1
    TMA1

Post  TMA1 Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:03 pm

It's a very unique flat nozzle. Unlike what I have ever seen with flat nozzles like on the B-2/YF-23 or F-22 this is very different. I think it means that different engineering principles are connected with it and I wonder what they may be. I think the Russians have a wholly unique design ideology than anyone else in the world which is why I love Russian aircraft. Rapid 3d printing of the nozzle is obviously part and an awesome means to save time and cost but I bet it's design point to other purposes as well. Cant wait to see more. respekt

GarryB likes this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:03 pm

S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 20 Fgvzaz10
    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 20 Fgvzxd10
    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 20 Fgvzyp10

medo, dino00, magnumcromagnon, Big_Gazza, PapaDragon, GunshipDemocracy, DerWolf and like this post

TMA1
    TMA1

Post  TMA1 Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:41 am

Badass. Could these images show that it has dispenser systems to lower IR radiation like on the izdeliye 30 nozzle???
    mnztr

Post  mnztr Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:55 pm

TMA1 wrote:Badass. Could these images show that it has dispenser systems to lower IR radiation like on the izdeliye 30 nozzle???

If you look at how the piping is routed, it takes air from the latter stages of the compressor and pumps them to the nozzle creating a boundary layer of cooler air around the exhaust. This means an IR missile will be much less effective unless much closer and directly behind the engine. Apparenly they are looking at his for SU-57 as well :

https://tass.com/defense/1375517

but with afterburners its more difficult. Its likely it will only work when in military power.
    TMA1
    TMA1

Post  TMA1 Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:18 pm

mnztr wrote:
    TMA1 wrote:Badass. Could these images show that it has dispenser systems to lower IR radiation like on the izdeliye 30 nozzle???

If you look at how the piping is routed, it takes air from the latter stages of the compressor and pumps them to the nozzle creating a boundary layer of cooler air around the exhaust. This means an IR missile will be much less effective unless much closer and directly behind the engine. Apparenly they are looking at his for SU-57 as well :

but with afterburners its more difficult. Its likely it will only work when in military power.

Nah flateric over at secretprojectsuk was saying it is to test nozzle parameters.

Aside: I just got banned for two months from that place for a ridiculously obvious joke. Was a jocular post essentially said "psshhh I knew that! Was just testing your knowledge. You (flateric) would have to be an absolute fool to think otherwise!"

Do I need to add freaking (sarcasm) before and after every post now? I'm furious and confused all at once. I even made it over the top to obviously imply sarcasm in case someone was too autistic to see it. I had no ill will behind it so I'm shocked and angered.

Anyways had to vent sorry mods pls no delete and sorry for talking about another website here I know some places dont like that. I just think you guys are cool and maybe someone knows people there can clue them in wtf.

Edit: had to add a thought.
    Lennox

Post  Lennox Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:59 am

mnztr wrote:

Huhm technically that would work. But usually the way they do it, at least on normal airliners, is by using the bypass airflow instead of the compressed air. Then again, that would increase the engine's efficiency, but decrease the power-to-weight ratio, which won't work on the S-70, so they might do it differently. Interesting find mnztr.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:00 am

That is it TMA1 you are banned for life... just kidding.... Razz

The flat nozzle mixes the hot and cold air more quickly, remember the hot air going through the core of the turbojet is compressed and fuel is burning in it so it is hot, but the front fan drags in normal cold air and blows it out the back too, and it greatly boosts thrust because it is colder and denser and in the fighter version it has lots of oxygen in it so the afterburner is more efficient in a turbofan than in a turbojet so you can dump more fuel and get more extra thrust in a turbofan.

In this drone there is no afterburner so there is cold bypass air and hot air that has been through the hot section and a flat nozzle forces the two airflows to mix more rapidly.

If you look at how the piping is routed, it takes air from the latter stages of the compressor and pumps them to the nozzle creating a boundary layer of cooler air around the exhaust.

In a normal bypass turbofan the air round the outside is the cold air while the centreline airflow is hot which would stop the engine nozzle getting too hot.

By channelling high pressure but cold bypass air directly into specific points inside the flat nozzle it might be intended to ensure the entire inner surface of the flat nozzle has a layer of cold air between it and the hot section air so the flat nozzle does not overheat.

The flat shape of the nozzle would mean the cold air and the hot air will be mixing as it moves through so the engine exhaust would appear cooler than from a round nozzle where the heat from the core airflow would radiate heat, while with this design the hot and cold air would already have mixed leading to not a super hot and a cold air stream but instead a hot stream of mixed air.

Make no mistake the air would be hot anyway so standing in front of it, your clothes would likely burst into flames and be stripped from your body.

TMA1 likes this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:53 pm

S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 20 Fg_okg11

George1, dino00, magnumcromagnon, thegopnik, LMFS, lyle6, TMA1 and like this post

lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:42 pm

They really do plan on making unguided bomb runs against near peer militaries viable lmao.

TMA1 likes this post

dino00
    dino00

Post  dino00 Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:12 pm

magnumcromagnon, thegopnik and LMFS like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:27 am