Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+59
Skandalwitwe
Tsavo Lion
OminousSpudd
jhelb
dino00
Arrow
Tingsay
Stealthflanker
slasher
crod
zorobabel
Neutrality
Godric
Aristide
Airman
ATLASCUB
ultimatewarrior
Airbornewolf
miketheterrible
Nibiru
lycantrop
medo
AbdulhamidtheSecond
SeigSoloyvov
Big_Gazza
PapaDragon
franco
Karl Haushofer
Visc
Austin
par far
nomadski
eehnie
Dima
starman
kvs
George1
Isos
AlfaT8
auslander
schaff
KiloGolf
JohninMK
calm
Walther von Oldenburg
HUNTER VZLA
KoTeMoRe
d_taddei2
LMFS
KomissarBojanchev
Hannibal Barca
A Different Voice
BKP
flamming_python
Vann7
GarryB
archangelski
Mindless_drone
yavar
63 posters

Syrian War: News #18

zorobabel
    zorobabel

Syrian War: News #18 - Page 27 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #18

Post  zorobabel Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:42 am

The horrible Erdogan deal, and now this.

Yikes.
    Neutrality
    Neutrality

Post  Neutrality Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:43 am

PapaDragon wrote:There are already twitter accounts trying to spin this as a blue-on-blue from Russia itself or the SyAA.
    If friendly fire then start eating humble pie I guess.

I don't believe for a second that the RuMoD would jeopardize their own ruthlessly like that. This isn't the first day of the intervention and this isn't the first day NATO warships/planes carry out strikes.[/quote]
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:45 am

They are trying, but no one is believing it

https://twitter.com/TomtheBasedCat/status/1041834399199895552?s=19
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:46 am

Neutrality wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:There are already twitter accounts trying to spin this as a blue-on-blue from Russia itself or the SyAA.
    If friendly fire then start eating humble pie I guess.

I don't believe for a second that the RuMoD would jeopardize their own ruthlessly like that. This isn't the first day of the intervention and this isn't the first day NATO warships/planes carry out strikes.

Friendly fire from SAA

I never said that VKS shot down their own plane
    Neutrality
    Neutrality

Post  Neutrality Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:52 am

https://ria.ru/syria/20180918/1528759243.html

Translation: Israel refused to comment.

PapaDragon wrote:Friendly fire from SAA

Bullshit, RuMoD and SyAA have been cooperating during this entire conflict on what goes on in the air space.
    Neutrality
    Neutrality

Post  Neutrality Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:24 am

CNN has already published the "blue-on-blue" article and so far they are the first. Total bullshit.

Even the French and Israeli sources are refusing to comment.
    crod
    crod

Post  crod Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:37 am

if it was the israelis i think we all know deep down and no matter how hard to stomach, there will be no action taken.

interesting the Russian systems were in use, do we know what systems? if s-400 how the heck are there not israeli F16s strewn all over the place???

can i ask why the Russian systems were used now, did the aggressors cross some Russian red line or something?

Last edited by crod on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
    crod
    crod

Post  crod Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:40 am

zorobabel wrote:The horrible Erdogan deal, and now this.

Yikes.

though we need to give some time to understand exactly what this deal involves, but yeah, on the face of it, it is a horrible deal indeed potentially. i am only hoping the Russians and Syrians are playing some card we're not privy too yet but christ...
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:04 am

Martyanov has picked up the news, is addressing them with his customary common sense:

http://smoothiex12.blogspot.com/2018/09/russia-loses-recce-il-20-in-syria.html#disqus_thread

BTW, the same day the deal is announced this attack happens and some people still think is a bad deal??
    BKP
    BKP

Post  BKP Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:21 am

LMFS wrote:
    BTW, the same day the deal is announced this attack happens and some people still think is a bad deal??

Well, the controllers of Russia Insider are trashing it, but they're semi-wackos these days. I'm withholding final judgement. The deal puts it on Turkey to evacuate the terrorists they infiltrated into Syria. So they save some face and fewer civilians die if it works. Could be a good solution, again, if it works.

But right now I'd say all bets about anything are off.
    slasher

Post  slasher Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:05 am

According to RT: Putin & Erdogan agree Idlib buffer zone to avert new Syria crisis

As part of solving the deadlock, all heavy weaponry, including tanks and artillery, will be withdrawn from the zone before October 10, Putin said. The zone will be patrolled by Turkish and Russian military units. Before the end of the year, roads between Aleppo and Hama, and Aleppo and Latakia must be reopened for transit traffic, he said. wrote:

I think therein lies the real kicker. That's a big concession that opens up corridors and further boxes in the militants, tightening the noose a little more. If this is really as stated then this makes it quite a good deal both for saving face for Turkey, basically leaving it to them the responsibility for taking care of that vipers' nest, while opening up major supply lines and at little risk/cost at all to Russia.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:33 am

French denied that it was them. But if they really want to know, take the ship and look if it has all its missiles.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:49 am

Russia confirms the SAA shot it down.

Syrian AD operators must be some stupid SoB's lol.

https://twitter.com/sssmirnov/status/1041956507460546560
    BKP
    BKP

Post  BKP Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:00 am

Lastest breaking headline on sputnik: "Israeli Pilots Put Russian Military Aircraft In Path Of Syrian Air Defence Systems - Russian Defence Ministry"

Well, so much for said AD "integration," I guess. So it looks like this worked out perfectly for Russia's "partners." They created a situation in which a Russian aircraft is downed and Russia's ally will get the blame? I think some shit will happen now, not sure what though... looks bad.

Syrian AD operators must be some stupid SoB's lol.

The Russians may now know how Canadians feel about the US.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:14 am

"Using the Russian jet as a shield, the Israeli pilots put it in the fire of Syrian air defense systems ... Il-20 ... was hit by the S-200 system's missile," Konashenkov said.

Load those tupolevs ...

Funny thing : French TV media haven't said anything about this. They are waiting for Macron to tell them what to say.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:18 am

The plane probably helped guid the missile to the Il-20 because it was probably locked on. Since it wouldn't lock onto the Il-20, the F-16 just flew behind Il-20.

That said, I know for a fact the Russians we're aware of this attack long before the phone call, because their radar systems, including that Il-20, would have spotted the F-16's taking off from Israel
    ATLASCUB
    ATLASCUB

Post  ATLASCUB Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:21 am

Appeasing Israel has a price. Told ya...k don't want to...
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:22 am

miketheterrible wrote:The plane probably helped guid the missile to the Il-20 because it was probably locked on. Since it wouldn't lock onto the Il-20, the F-16 just flew behind Il-20.

That said, I know for a fact the Russians we're aware of this attack long before the phone call, because their radar systems, including that Il-20, would have spotted the F-16's taking off from Israel

No the missile it's self would have had to acquire the 20 because of the bigger profile, it would have been super dam hard for the isreal pilot to stay at such a perfect angle between him and the missile to keep the 20 directly between them, possible sure but that would have been realllllllly dam hard even for the most experienced pilots. Because at that point the 20 would have been moving to get out of the shot,.

So no way the f-16 could have kept the 20 between him and the missile while the 20 would be trying to evade this, just not possible.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:24 am

ATLASCUB wrote:Appeasing Israel has a price. Told ya...k don't want to...

and we will see if they actually do anything.
    BKP
    BKP

Post  BKP Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:25 am

Another breaking headline (sputnik):
    "Russian MoD Blames Israel for Attack Which Led to Downing of Il-20 by Syria"

Fly in more iskanders for extra deterrence, then take out the base(s) the temple-locks flew out of. Fuckers went too far this time.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:27 am

BKP wrote:Another breaking headline (sputnik):
    "Russian MoD Blames Israel for Attack Which Led to Downing of Il-20 by Syria"

Fly in more iskanders for extra deterrence, then take out the base(s) the temple-locks flew out of. Fuckers went too far this time.

Taking out airbases is a full-scale declaration of war, if Russia does that it better be ready for war with Isreal and I don't mind a light war, I mean a real war, nevermind isreal has nukes. so that's a really dangerous game to play.

We don't even know if this pilot acted on orders or if he did this to save his own skin in the end. It's one thing is they told him to do it, it's another if he acted on his own accord.

The best way for them to respond is to attack any isreal aircraft that try and attack Syrian soil.
    ATLASCUB
    ATLASCUB

Post  ATLASCUB Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:28 am

It was my opinion it was a mistake to appease Israel from the very beginning. Just like appeasing the Americans with the West of Europhrates demarcation deal.... everyone then wants a pie...the French...now the Turks can dictate terms...

You go in, you set the terms, you use the element of surprise and bluff to push your adversaries out, put a strong show of force....close all of the airspace..... the minute you start wobble and set your goals low.... negotiating and giving your enemies time to figure out your red lines and strategy the minute you lose your biggest advantage. But then again Russia has been relatively timid in its Syria adventure. Like a kid not sure of his own stregh trying to break in to a fight club. To be expected I guess after decades of been in shock therapy - hermit kingdom. One thing is clear, Russia's enemy's are not going to cut them any slack - proven.

I will say this, I wasn't expecting Israel's appeasement to fail this spectacularly. I mean at worst I imagined an Israeli airstrike killing some Russians embedded with Syrians...to be denied, and buried.... but this.... lol1 lol1

Can't fix stupid.

Last edited by ATLASCUB on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:31 am

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote:The plane probably helped guid the missile to the Il-20 because it was probably locked on. Since it wouldn't lock onto the Il-20, the F-16 just flew behind Il-20.

No the missile it's self would have had to acquire the 20 because of the bigger profile, it would have been super dam hard for the isreal pilot to stay at such a perfect angle between him and the missile to keep the 20 directly between them, possible sure but that would have been realllllllly dam hard even for the most experienced pilots. Because at that point the 20 would have been moving to get out of the shot,.

So no way the f-16 could have kept the 20 between him and the missile while the 20 would be trying to evade this, just not possible.

The f-16 could have put itself behind the il-20 and launched chaffs. When a target release chaffs the air defence tries to keep the lock on the target by processing the signal. Then it acquired the bigger il-20 because on the radar when there are two targets flying close they are seen as one target. The il-20 being bigger most of radar return was his so the missile destroyed him.

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:33 am

I'm with you. Russia is spineless fucks. What's the point having an army when you let others walk all over you.

Curious how the missile would lock onto the Il-20 when it's a command guided missile and requires radar to lock onto it, and with iff, it wouldn't?

So Israel hid behind it at right moment for missile to fly into il-20
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:35 am

miketheterrible wrote:I'm with you. Russia is spineless fucks. What's the point having an army when you let others walk all over you.

Curious how the missile would lock onto the Il-20 when it's a command guided missile and requires radar to lock onto it, and with iff, it wouldn't?

So Israel hid behind it at right moment for missile to fly into il-20

IFF wouldn't prevent the lock, it would just tell the friendly radar operators "hey that guy is cool don't attack him"

If the signaled was interrupted and tried to relock it makes sense the jet did something to lose the lock and the missile while trying to get the lock back targetted the 20 instead.

I'll give this to that pilot clever ass move.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:47 am