Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+15
Arrow
Big_Gazza
Hole
Pinto
George1
sepheronx
Viktor
Austin
GarryB
ricky123
TheArmenian
TR1
flamming_python
Sujoy
Russian Patriot
19 posters

Russian Krivak IV stealth frigates

Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Russian Krivak IV stealth frigates Empty Russian Krivak IV stealth frigates

Post  Russian Patriot Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:45 pm

Russian shipyard seeks $60 mln loan to complete Indian frigates
    RIA Novosti

18:49 05/08/2009 KALININGRAD, August 5 (RIA Novosti) - The Russian Yantar shipyard is negotiating a $60 million loan to enable it to complete the construction of three frigates for the Indian Navy, the company director said on Wednesday.

Russia is building three Project 11356 Krivak IV class guided missile frigates for the Indian Navy under a $1.6 billion contract signed in July, 2006.

Igor Orlov said the shipyard had previously taken out a $110 million loan from Russian national development bank Vnesheconombank (VEB) but was now forced to seek an additional $60 million loan due to "financial constraints."

He added that the problems had been caused by fluctuations in the ruble-to-dollar exchange rate.

"When the contract was signed, the rate was 28.2 rubles per $1, but then it fell to 23.5 rubles," he said, adding that the shipyard had lost about 500 million rubles as a result.

However, the current exchange rate is 31 rubles per $1.

Russia said in late June it would meet its obligations to deliver the frigates to India by 2012.

An industry official said the first ship would be floated out this year, the second, in spring 2010, and the third a bit later, adding that the Indian government had provided sufficient and timely project financing.

A delegation of Indian military officials, led by India's deputy chief of the naval staff, Vice Adm. Raman P Suthan, visited the Yantar shipyard last October and said they were satisfied with the pace and the construction quality.

Russia previously built in 2004 three Krivak class frigates - INS Talwar, INS Trishul and INS Tabar - for India, but they all were delivered late.

All of the new frigates will be armed with eight BrahMos supersonic anti-ship cruise missile systems and not the Club-N/3M54TE missile system, which was installed on previous frigates.

The Krivak class frigate has deadweight of 4,000 metric tons and a speed of 30 knots, and is capable of accomplishing a wide range of maritime missions, primarily hunting down and destroying large surface ships and submarines.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2009/08/mil-090805-rianovosti08.htm
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Russian Krivak IV stealth frigates Empty Russian Krivak III stealth frigates

Post  Russian Patriot Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:08 pm

Russian shipyard set to float out frigate for India in November

RIA Novosti

10/11/200917:33

KALININGRAD, November 10 (RIA Novosti) - The Yantar shipyard in Russia's Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad is planning to float out the first of the three frigates being built for the Indian Navy at the end of November, a company spokesman said Tuesday.

Russia is building three Project 11356 modified Krivak III class (also known as Talwar class) guided missile frigates for the Indian Navy under a $1.6 billion contract signed in July, 2006.

"The first frigate in the series is expected to float out at the end of November," Sergei Mikhailov said.

"Floating out does not mean that the sea trials will start right away. We still have to carry out post-construction work. The trials will start in 2010," he added.

Mikhailov reaffirmed that the shipyard should be able to deliver all three vessels to the customer in 2011-2012.

The Talwar class frigate has a deadweight of 4,000 metric tons and a speed of 30 knots, and is capable of accomplishing a wide range of maritime missions, primarily hunting down and destroying large surface ships and submarines.

Russia has previously built three Talwar class frigates for India - INS Talwar (from the Hindi language meaning Sword), INS Trishul (Trident), and INS Tabar (Axe).

Indian President Pratibha Patil has named the new ships the Teg (Saber), the Tarkash (Quiver), and the Trikand (Bow).

All of the new frigates will be armed with eight BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles rather than 3M-54E Klub-N anti-ship missiles, which were installed on previous frigates.

They will be also equipped with a 100-mm gun, a Shtil air defense system, two Kashtan air defense gun/missile systems, two twin 533-mm torpedo tubes, and an anti-submarine warfare helicopter.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/india/2009/india-091110-rianovosti01.htm
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Russian Krivak IV stealth frigates Empty Re: Russian Krivak IV stealth frigates

Post  Russian Patriot Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:07 am

The Yantar shipyard in Russia's Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad has completed the final tests of a missile frigate for the Indian navy, the company’s spokesman Sergei Mikhailov said o Tuesday.

Russia and India signed a $1.6 billion contract on construction of three modified Krivak III class (also known as Talwar class) guided missile frigates for India in 2006. The first frigate, the Teg, was scheduled for delivery in April 2011, but funding shortfalls have delayed the work.

Two other Talwar class frigates, the Tarkash and the Trikand, are at various stages of construction and testing at the Yantar shipyard, and their delivery dates are unknown.

The new frigates are each armed with eight BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles.

They are also equipped with a 100-mm gun, a Shtil surface-to-air missile system, two Kashtan air-defense gun/missile systems, two twin 533-mm torpedo launchers, and an antisubmarine warfare (ASW) helicopter.

Russia has previously built three Talwar class frigates for India - INS Talwar (Sword), INS Trishul (Trident), and INS Tabar (Axe).

http://www.en.ria.ru/world/20120207/171200771.html
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Russian Krivak IV stealth frigates Empty India to purchase 3 more Krivak IV class frigates from Russia

Post  Sujoy Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:38 am

INDIA DEFENSE REVIEW

A Krivak class frigate is equipped with a 100mm gun , a Shtil medium range air defense system , Club N supersonic antiship missile , two Kashtan point defense systems , two twin 533 mm torpedo launchers and an anti submarine warfare helicopter.

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:56 pm

What was that American naval intel saying (for identifying Soviet ships); "guns in back, smoke stack - Krivak"?
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Is it confirmed?

Yantar director mentioned they might be working on another batch of Talwars for India.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:36 am

If the Indians order an extra 3 Talwar frigates, that would mean the 2nd batch of 3 Grigorovich frigates for the Russian Navy will be postponed or cancelled.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:32 am

TheArmenian wrote:If the Indians order an extra 3 Talwar frigates, that would mean the 2nd batch of 3 Grigorovich frigates for the Russian Navy will be postponed or cancelled.

I find that extremely unlikely, the 1st of the 2nd trio or the RuNavy has already been ordered and is supposed to be laid down before the year ends.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:31 pm

It is the second trio that I am worried about.
    If the Indians confirm the order now, the Yantar (Kaliningrad) shipyard will finish the first 3 Russian frigates and instead of laying down the second trio they will build the Indian ones instead.

I also think they should finish the Taman frigate that is already launched, just to make up some numbers for the fleet.
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:45 pm

TR1 wrote:Is it confirmed?

Yantar director mentioned they might be working on another batch of Talwars for India.

TR1 , Russia made the offer last April to supply three additional frigates . The Indian Navy is very much interested in it and right now since Rogozin is in New Delhi they are discussing the price issue .

Last month India received INS - Teg the first of the three Stealth Talwar frigates from Russia . The Talwar is a modified version of the Russian Krivak III class . Given the shortage of stealth frigates in the Indian Navy there is always a demand .

TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:19 pm

TheArmenian wrote:It is the second trio that I am worried about.
    If the Indians confirm the order now, the Yantar (Kaliningrad) shipyard will finish the first 3 Russian frigates and instead of laying down the second trio they will build the Indian ones instead.

I also think they should finish the Taman frigate that is already launched, just to make up some numbers for the fleet.

Yeah I was talking about the 2nd trio, the first ship of the 2nd batch has already been ordered, expected to be laid down this fall.
    Russian Navy won't abandon its order because of an export order, and Yantar would be in hot water if they delayed the domestic order at this point.
    ricky123

Russian Krivak IV stealth frigates Empty Third Indian frigate undergoes dock trials in Russia

Post  ricky123 Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:55 am

A Talwar class frigate being built for the Indian Navy at the Yantar Shipyard in Russia’s exclave of Kaliningrad has begun dock trials, the shipyard said.

The Trikand is the last in a series of three frigates built under a $1.6-billion contract with India. The first frigate, the Teg, was delivered to India in April 2012, while the second, the Tarkash, has completed sea trials and will be delivered in November.

“The Trikand started dock trials at the Yantar shipyard on September 15,” Yantar spokesman Sergei Mikhailov told reporters on Tuesday. “They will continue until mid-January next year.”

The sea trials of the frigate will be held in the Baltic Sea and the delivery of the warship to the Indian Navy is expected in summer 2013.

View the infographic: Russian-Indian BrahMos supersonic cruise missle
    The new frigates are each armed with eight BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles.

They are also equipped with a 100-mm gun, a Shtil surface-to-air missile system, two Kashtan air-defense gun/missile systems, two twin 533-mm torpedo launchers, and an antisubmarine warfare (ASW) helicopter.

India announced in 2011 that the Yantar shipyard had delayed the delivery of the frigates for over a year due to a shortage of skilled labor and flaws in the production chain.

In a separate development, the delivery of the Vikramaditya, formerly the Russian Navy's Admiral Gorshkov, to the Indian Navy has been put back from December 2012 to at least October 2013 after propulsion failures occurred during the ship’s sea trials in the White Sea last month.

A string of delays on the delivery of military equipment has drawn sharp criticism by Indian authorities and soured traditionally strong bilateral military-technical ties.

Moscow has recently lost several large tenders on the delivery of weaponry to India, which used to be a major buyer of Russian-made military equipment
    this is what i was worried about ,russia losing bussiness .and then we buying third grade stuff from USA No
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:22 am

Eh, if we look at the tenders than "Russia" (in reality, companies) lost, none of them are too shocking.

MiG-35 faces an uhill battle due to Indian desire for a 3rd weapons supplier.
    Mi-28 was (and still is in many ways) too raw to compete with serially produced, well mastered Apache.

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:29 am

MiG-35 faces an uhill battle due to Indian desire for a 3rd weapons supplier.
    Mi-28 was (and still is in many ways) too raw to compete with serially produced, well mastered Apache.

Exactly... if the Mig-35 is rubbish then why would India bother with Mig-29 upgrades and why would the Indian Navy bother with Mig-29K2s.

The facts are that the Indian Air Force is happy with Migs, but they clearly wanted the Rafale.

Equally with the helicopters the Mi-28N needs a little further work and operational experience to become a mature system. I rather suspect that the Mi-28NM will be a formidable aircraft when it enters production in 2015-2016, but clearly India has decided it wants to start the process of introducing a new attack helo now.

The Apache is an expensive aircraft, but it is also a very capable and a proven helicopter.

They will need to invest in spare parts and support equipment, but I am sure it will serve them very well.

Regarding the engine problems, I have read that because the Indians rejected asbestos for insulation that they used firebricks from China to insulate the boilers from the ships structure and some of them proved to be faulty.

The Chinese are reported to have stated that no Chinese firm has sold any fire bricks to Russia... so who knows what the real story is.
    ricky123

Post  ricky123 Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:59 am

Garry ur right indian navy is happy with mig29 but the rafeal deal is a political deal i guess .
    and for indians rejecting asbestos .then the shipyard should have tried something better since they have invested so much money putting so many brand news things already , i read somewhere the shivmesh head was critising indians for rejecting asbestos he has been sacked now . i agree with indian gov when it rejected asbestos to protect its crew members ...

there is a team heading to Russia this week to finalise the FGFA project ,there is news that there will be other deals which will be made as well ,and then when putin comes to india later this year he will sign those deal i guess. so within a week or 2 we may see some new deals ,

i have heard india is making its own stealth fighter as well, does anybody has any info about it ?? there is a video on youtube about it though
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:15 am

and for indians rejecting asbestos .then the shipyard should have tried something better since they have invested so much money putting so many brand news things already , i read somewhere the shivmesh head was critising indians for rejecting asbestos he has been sacked now . i agree with indian gov when it rejected asbestos to protect its crew members ...

Rejecting asbestos is understandable... the problem seems to be that the substitute seems to have failed... but they could only find that out with at sea testing.

I don't understand the need to find someone to blame for this, I just don't see how blaming someone makes things any better. I'd prefer they looked into solutions.
    ricky123

Post  ricky123 Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:25 pm

Rejecting asbestos is understandable... the problem seems to be that the substitute seems to have failed... but they could only find that out with at sea testing.

I don't understand the need to find someone to blame for this, I just don't see how blaming someone makes things any better. I'd prefer they looked into solutions.

i totally agree but this aircrft deal is become a pain in the neck for both countries ,i just hope the end product is worth the wait Razz
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Russian Krivak IV stealth frigates Ins_ta10
    INS Tarkash arrives in India

Built by the Yantar shipyard, Kaliningrad, the ship sailed from Russia to the UK and back via Oman before reaching India.

Photo Source : DPR Defence
    ricky123

Post  ricky123 Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:36 pm

dint they crash it somewhere before it came to mumbai ????
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:13 pm

ricky123 wrote:dint they crash it somewhere before it came to mumbai ????

Yes, Indian naval mariners smashed it against a quay . Fortunately the damage/s were not severe .
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:42 am

Yes, Indian naval mariners smashed it against a quay . Fortunately the damage/s were not severe .

Perhaps they saw a champagne bottle on the pier? Smile

Seriously though, I am glad there was no serious damage.
    Austin

Post  Austin Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:25 am

Its almost certain that India will order 3 more Talwar class frigate , IN has been very happy with it and Russia can deliver it at much faster rate then MDL.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:17 pm

Hopefully they benefit from latest advances- stealthy gun turret, VLS Shtil, etc.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:29 am

Just as Sujoy said. I just dont get the price. 3 bin $ ? - that might be some mistake

India to spend $3 billion for 3 more Talwar-class frigates

A formal contract is likely to be signed after Russia delivers to India the third and final Talwar-class stealth frigate INS Trikand.

Russia is going to get a fresh order of building three more Talwar-class stealth frigates for India later this year which is likely to be worth $3 billion. The frigates have substantially enhanced Indian Navy’s firepower in the region mainly because of their stealth capabilities.
    Knowledgeable sources told RIR that the Indians have already orally conveyed their in-principle decision to Russia to construct three more Talwar-class frigates. A formal contract is likely to be signed after Russia delivers to India the third and final Talwar-class stealth frigate INS Trikand, being built at the Yantar shipyard in Russia. The delivery is expected in June 2013.

The game-changer aspect of the Talwar class frigates is its stealth technology and a special hull design. These features enable the Talwar class frigates to be extremely useful in a wide range of missions like finding and eliminating enemy submarines and large surface ships. The Talwar-class frigates are the first Indian Navy warships to have stealth features.
    What the Fresh Deal May Entail

Sources in the Indian defence establishment said the mood is quite upbeat about the successful Talwar-class frigates experiment and once the current cycle gets completed after the delivery of INS Trikand, the Indian Navy will take a call on issuing a formal order to Russia.

The new set of frigates will be more technologically advanced and each of the next three Talwar-class frigates will be equipped with BrahMos missiles. The existing Talwar-class boats and the upcoming INS Trikand are not BrahMos-equipped because they were designed before the BrahMos naval variant could be developed.

Therefore the greatest USP of the upcoming order for three more Talwar-class frigates would be that for the first time these frigates will be fitted with BrahMos. “This is the single most important reason why the Russians don’t really have to worry whether they are going to get this order or not,” a source said on condition of anonymity.
    Likely irritants

It is a question of when, not if, Russia would be getting the fresh order for the Talwar-class frigates. The Indians would pitch for inclusion of a financial penalties clause for Russian failure to meet delivery deadlines. The Indians are unhappy that the Russians invariably fail to meet the delivery deadlines and eventually jack up the prices too.

The same problem has been witnessed in the Talwar-class frigates episode. Though the boats are doing well, the delivery deadline was pushed back by one year or so for all the vessels. Even INS Trikand was scheduled to be delivered to India by April 2012.

Russia will have to streamline its procedures and remove recurring problems of delays and price hikes. In December 2010, Russian shipbuilding plant Yantar had asked Russia's state arms exporter, Rosoboronexport, for an additional $100 million to complete construction of the three frigates for the Indian Navy. However, in this case it was an internal problem relating to VAT refund and the Russians this time did not jack up the already negotiated price.
    Staggered Payment

Another good thing from the Russian point of view is that it would be a government-to-government dealing wherein floating of global tender will not be required.

Stung by the Agusta Westland VVIP helicopters scandal, the Indian Ministry of Defence is likely to stipulate a stringent and transparent payment schedule. In the case of Agusta Westland deal, the MoD was flustered when it realized that only India stood to lose if it were to scrap the chopper deal because the Italian company had been paid more than fifty percent of the total amount though just about 33 percent of the work had been done.

Therefore, the contract for the new deal would focus on staggered payments after a mutually agreeable advance payment is made.
    India had awarded a $1.6 billion contract to the Yantar shipyard in 2006 to build three modified Talwar class for the Indian Navy. The final trials of INS Trikand have already started in the Baltic Sea. Yantar shipyard spokesman Sergei Mikhailov has been quoted in a recent RIA Novosti report as saying that INS Trikand was cleared for final state trials on April 4, 2013 which should be completed by this month end.

The Indian Navy got a major fillip to its firepower with the arrival of its latest acquisition INS Tarkash at Mumbai on December 27, 2012. Built by the Yantar Shipyard, Kaliningrad, Russia, INS Tarkash was second of three project 1135.6 (follow-on Talwar class) ships ordered by Indian Navy, the first being INS Teg which joined the fleet in June 2012.
    What Makes Talwar Class Frigates Formidable

These ships, a modification of Krivak III class Russian frigates, are designed to carry and operate one heavy duty early warning helicopter which can provide over-the-horizon targeting. The Talwar-class frigates can also have the indigenously built Dhruv light combat helicopter.
    The frigate’s efficacy in anti-submarine warfare can be gauged by the fact that its RPK-8 rocket system has a firing range from 600 to 4300 metres and the depth of engagement of up to 1000 metres.

Its combat data system independently generates combat missions based on situation analysis, determines optimal number of missile firings, displays information on the state of ship-borne weaponry and transmits data to protection systems.

The Talwar-class frigate is armed with a new 3M-54 Klub attack anti-ship system with a vertical missile launcher. This anti-ship system is an 8.22 meters (27 ft) long missile using active radar guidance with a range of 220 kilometres. It is a three-stage missile in which the terminal stage reaches supersonic velocity (Mach 2.9) when it is approximately 20 km (12 miles) from its target.
    The writer is a New Delhi-based journalist-author and a strategic affairs analyst.

LINK
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:10 am

When India signed the deal for the Krivak 3 frigates in 2006 they were around $550 million ( ballpark) a pop . The frigates were delivered 6-7 years later .

Now India will be purchasing the Krivak 4 frigates . So they too will be delivered around 2019 . Therefore , inflation , BRAHMOS integration , advanced stealth features might just propel the price to $1 billion a piece.

There is also a belief that by 2019 , Russia will perfect the Russian version of the "AEGIS" and so this might be incorporated in the Krivak 4 ( Talwar Class) frigates that India will purchase.

http://en.rian.ru/military_news/20120831/175538466.html

Didn't the Russian Neustrashimyy-class frigate (3800 tonnes) costs $600 million in 2008 ?

German Sachsen class Frigate $700 million in 2003.

Netherlands De Zeven Provinciën-class frigate was going for $800 million in 2003 .

It seems ,that a price of $1 billion is therefore justified by 2019.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:13 pm