Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+69
lancelot
marcellogo
limb
AMCXXL
Arkanghelsk
lyle6
PapaDragon
PhSt
Atmosphere
Scorpius
TMA1
11E
Tsavo Lion
Hole
slasher
LMFS
miketheterrible
AlfaT8
franco
eridan
Benya
OminousSpudd
Walther von Oldenburg
GarryB
kingodthequeens
nemrod
jka
eehnie
Zhukov-Patton
Godric
KoTeMoRe
Acheron
Vann7
KomissarBojanchev
Big_Gazza
Firebird
medo
sepheronx
Werewolf
Regular
kvs
higurashihougi
Mike E
GuyFromSerbia
akd
magnumcromagnon
Morpheus Eberhardt
Asf
Viktor
As Sa'iqa
flamming_python
Cyberspec
Sujoy
Mr.Kalishnikov47
George1
TR1
gloriousfatherland
Russian Patriot
KRATOS1133
Ogannisyan8887
Pervius
NationalRus
Austin
Hoof
Admin
KRON1
nightcrawler
ekacipta021292
Andy_Wiz
73 posters

Russian Military Reform

Mike E
    Mike E

Russian Military Reform - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Military Reform

Post  Mike E Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:37 pm

medo wrote:Russia is not an island in the middle of the ocean. Russia is a large country bordering on many hostile regions. Having small professional army is a death sentence for Russia, because it doesn't have reserve and not big enough to cover so large territory. Professional quick reaction units are good for quick covering of gaps and to be quickly send to places where and when needed, but to defend a country you need conscript army with large reserve to mobilize.
    True... However, most importantly isn't the amount/type of troops, but defenses in general... That large amount of area Russia covers is great for *being hostile* to invaders. They'd need to get through a heck of a lot of permafrost to get anywhere by land, and that isn't exactly a walk in the park. Also, the large size means that defenses, while not together, can be effectively placed in many different areas. 

That being said, I agree with what you stated...
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:13 am

I`m saying that Serdyukov did good reforms,trying to make the GF proffesional,a quick and a mobile force.What Shoygu is doing is backdoing them.A lot of divisions have been kept,instead of making them brigades.There are still recruits being conscripted.My opinion is that the new minister is not up to the job (just my opinion).

Serdyukov made plans in the dark. He didn't know how quickly the young men of Russia would voluntarily sign up to be professional soldiers or how long they would stay in service.

Some times a division is better than a brigade... even if it is less mobile.

Shoygu has the benefit of seeing the results of Serds plans... what is working and what is not working... have you perhaps thought that the fact that he is changing the pace of the plan... changing the schedule but not the direction of the plan might be because some parts of the plan are not working to match the plan.

there is no point in having all brigade strength units when you don't have enough of the brigade vehicles to equip them?

Claiming you want an all professional force is nice but if you have a 1 million man army and you have 300,000 volunteers what are you going to do? Pay them double or triple and expect them to do three times the work of a conscript... or worse accept your military force is a paper force undermanned and unable to perform its duty?

I suspect you would agree that keeping conscription might be the best option there.

Well,I don`t think that Russia in fact needs a large army.NATO is far from organized on such a scale to attack Russia.

I agree, but I also know that Russia is a very large country with large borders and having a 1 million man armed force is not that big a burden for a country with 140 million odd people.

The changes being made are to increase mobility, protection, and firepower and the introduction of technology should allow a significant improvement, especially in terms of the introduction of new guided munitions and more capable platforms.

higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:10 am

GuyFromSerbia wrote:I`m not whining about anything,I`m saying that Serdyukov did good reforms,trying to make the GF proffesional,a quick and a mobile force.What Shoygu is doing is backdoing them.A lot of divisions have been kept,instead of making them brigades.There are still recruits being conscripted.My opinion is that the new minister is not up to the job (just my opinion).

May be it's off topic, but Serdyukov's plan is not all good. For example, the plan to reduce the number of airfields and airports... resulted in huge number of planes were stacking in an airbase and that means traffic-jam... And the plan to use the same grey color for airplanes turned out to be too costly and unsuitable for camouflage.

By my guess, probably Serdyukov fell into a trap of "cut cost" and "commonality", which turn out to be not cost-effective as people predicted.

It's seems like this man has a mixed image, depends on whether you are a pro-Moskva or pro-western. But for me, I prefer a military man to be a Defense Minister. At least he know what does the army need.
    GuyFromSerbia

Post  GuyFromSerbia Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:43 pm

Russia is not an island in the middle of the ocean. Russia is a large country bordering on many hostile regions. Having small professional army is a death sentence for Russia, because it doesn't have reserve and not big enough to cover so large territory. Professional quick reaction units are good for quick covering of gaps and to be quickly send to places where and when needed, but to defend a country you need conscript army with large reserve to mobilize.

Back to my statement.Nato is far from being organized to attack Russia.I think that the future wars will be smaller conflicts in ME and Caucasus.In such conflicts divisions would have a hard time trying to push rebels out.Simply,there isn`t a front there.Enemy can appear deep inside your teritory.For that you need a quick,small,professional formation that can attack quickly and efficiently.You don`t need tanks and conscripts,you need good men and air support.

Claiming you want an all professional force is nice but if you have a 1 million man army and you have 300,000 volunteers what are you going to do? Pay them double or triple and expect them to do three times the work of a conscript... or worse accept your military force is a paper force undermanned and unable to perform its duty?

I suspect you would agree that keeping conscription might be the best option there.

I think that volunteers should recieve better pays and maybe some things like a free home and tax cuts.That will surely make some young men join the army,knowing that there is no more bullying there and that you can live with the funds you get.

Maybe you don`t understand me,I don`t think Russia should just cancel conscription.I think that first Russia must enlarge the professional force,at least to half a milion,and then cancel the conscription.Yes,the current number of professional troops is small,but I`m sure it can be enlarged somehow.
    Asf

Post  Asf Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:01 am

and then cancel the conscription
    What for?
    I think that first Russia must enlarge the professional force,at least to half a milion
    It's already about half a million 'professional force' of the Army - officers and contract soldiers and NCOs.
    I think that the future wars will be smaller conflicts in ME and Caucasus.In such conflicts divisions would have a hard time trying to push rebels out.Simply,there isn`t a front there.Enemy can appear deep inside your teritory.For that you need a quick,small,professional formation that can attack quickly and efficiently.
    Sounds like meaningless rhetorics of a non-military folk
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:37 am

Back to my statement.Nato is far from being organized to attack Russia.

Interesting statement, but wrong.

The US and UK and France easily moved forces to various places over the last few years to intervene... including Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan.

And Russia is not to plan her future defence based on the situation right now... isn't it allowed to plan for future changes in situation... what happens if half of the Ukraine splits off and joins the EU and NATO... they can base armoured forces very close to Russia and would not be bound by the CFE treaty because only Russia has signed it.

I think that the future wars will be smaller conflicts in ME and Caucasus.In such conflicts divisions would have a hard time trying to push rebels out.

And what if you are wrong and another threat presents itself out of the blue?

The Russians need to be able to protect all her territory... and sometimes keep forces in certain areas to prevent certain neighbours from taking advantage of a situation.

Coloured revolutions are always possibilities that Russia simply cannot ignore.

They don't need a huge conventional force to fight WWIII, but equally they need an effective force that is useful and powerful and efficient.

For that you need a quick,small,professional formation that can attack quickly and efficiently.You don`t need tanks and conscripts,you need good men and air support.

So they are only allowed a small paramilitary COIN force? Why have a military... I am sure the FSB and MVD can cope with terrorism cells.

I think that volunteers should recieve better pays and maybe some things like a free home and tax cuts.That will surely make some young men join the army,knowing that there is no more bullying there and that you can live with the funds you get.

So you want an army of men looking for financial security. Interesting.

Maybe you don`t understand me,I don`t think Russia should just cancel conscription.I think that first Russia must enlarge the professional force,at least to half a milion,and then cancel the conscription.Yes,the current number of professional troops is small,but I`m sure it can be enlarged somehow.

Ending concription has been on the table for decades, and they made all sorts of offers and so far it is what it is.... maybe they need a draft for volunteers... Twisted Evil

Sounds like meaningless rhetorics of a non-military folk

The opinion of a man who served in the Russian military holds more weight than the opinion of a Kiwi on the other side of the planet... on this opinion we agree.
    Firebird

Post  Firebird Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:55 pm

Does anyone know how the reform of the Russian armed forces reserves is going?

There was an article somewhere saying that the problem with the |Reserve was that reservists generally lost skills within a month or so, and then took several months to relearn them. And that reservists struggled in some ways in previous Russian and Soviet conflicts.

In Britain, reservists attend for one weekend per month and get perks like lower taxes.

I think the solution might be multi level reserves ie those with monthly, quartlerly, annual and even bi annual refresher training. Ofcourse its not just frontline soldiers that are needed in reserve. Its logistics, technical support and other operations that might be a long way from enemy lines.

PS parts of the forum were diverting to some hosting company earlier- not sure what was happening?
    Asf

Post  Asf Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Does anyone know how the reform of the Russian armed forces reserves is going?

During Vostok-2014 several units were reactivated from reserve, several artillery and other battalions (territorial defence battalion was mentioned) "in a matter of days". Units was reported to be able to perform someking of training missions.

Testing of contract reserve program is underway currently.

Major changes of student military training is planned (as a part of initial reservist training).
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:10 pm

How about you ask Vladimir a russian soldier what he thinks about having no conscripts in Russia and down sizing the active menpower to such lower numbers that they can not protect their own territory anymore without focusing 80% their army on one specific oblast problems?
    GuyFromSerbia

Post  GuyFromSerbia Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:20 pm

down sizing the active menpower to such lower numbers that they can not protect their own territory anymore

Never mentioned downsizing.Never.Never did,never will.The army,after the reform which would take about 2 years,would have the same number of soldiers as it has today.

And go ahead call Vladimir,I have nothing to fear from a man with a respectful opinion and theories to prove his thoughts.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:51 pm

GuyFromSerbia wrote:
    down sizing the active menpower to such lower numbers that they can not protect their own territory anymore

Never mentioned downsizing.Never.Never did,never will.The army,after the reform which would take about 2 years,would have the same number of soldiers as it has today.

And go ahead call Vladimir,I have nothing to fear from a man with a respectful opinion and theories to prove his thoughts.

WTF?
    You said small army, small army has to be downsized from the current arm size.
    GuyFromSerbia

Post  GuyFromSerbia Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:11 pm

And in one of my comments I stated that I didn`t mean small,it was a mistake.I meant professional.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:23 pm

GuyFromSerbia wrote:And in one of my comments I stated that I didn`t mean small,it was a mistake.I meant professional.

Scrapping conscripts means automatically smaller military, volunteers will not float in like an avalanche to compensate all the scrapped conscripts.
    Nor is this so called "professional army" professional. Look at the US their regular army is bad trained and equiped same as "unprofessional" armies often in worse conditions.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:32 pm

GuyFromSerbia wrote:And in one of my comments I stated that I didn`t mean small,it was a mistake.I meant professional.

Combined army is the best answer for Russia and for any other country. Not all units must be professional. High technology units and quick reaction units must be professional, but regular infantry and motorized infantry could still be conscript army. Conscript army give large reserve force and also train general population for war time.
    GuyFromSerbia

Post  GuyFromSerbia Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Combined army is the best answer for Russia and for any other country. Not all units must be professional. High technology units and quick reaction units must be professional, but regular infantry and motorized infantry could still be conscript army. Conscript army give large reserve force and also train general population for war time.

A big war today is almost impossible.Nukes and MAD will surely keep anyone from trying to take on moscow.Russia should focus on mobile and professional ground forces,while modernizing the nuclear forces so that they can break any shields NATO makes.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:25 pm

GuyFromSerbia wrote:

A big war today is almost impossible.Nukes and MAD will surely keep anyone from trying to take on moscow.Russia should focus on mobile and professional ground forces,while modernizing the nuclear forces so that they can break any shields NATO makes.

Big WW3 now is far more possible today than in times of the first cold war from 1948 to 1990. In that time on both sides were reasonable and adult leaders. Today you have childish idiots in White House. I think WW3 will actually happen with Hillary Clinton as President of US. She is even worse than Obama and they are all just marionettes in the hands of financial satanists from behind the scene. Russia need big army to defend both fronts in European part and in far East in the same time.
    GuyFromSerbia

Post  GuyFromSerbia Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:55 pm

Bottom line-I think Russia will face more wars in Cacausus and Middle East,than a real WW3.You can always disagree,but that is just my opinion.In such conditions I think that a professional force would be much better then the conscript one.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:05 pm

GuyFromSerbia wrote:
    Bottom line-I think Russia will face more wars in Cacausus and Middle East,than a real WW3.You can always disagree,but that is just my opinion.In such conditions I think that a professional force would be much better then the conscript one.

You still don't get it?

If you ban conscripts you will have automatically smaller army, volunteers don't grow on trees, we had army in menpower during conscription of 185.000 now it is 175.000 and since this reform of "Professional was started just 2 years ago" the constant shrinking of Bundeswehr each 2 years is around 10.900 people less and volunteers incoming of roughly 8.500, meaning the Bundeswehr will reactive conscriptions in next 10 years and that is set in stone!

Your opinion isn't falls but you completley ignore that US is pushing very hard for WW3 between EU slaves and Russia so they can do a proxy war and finance all sides like they did during WW1 and WW2 and their GDP increased almost two fold.
    GuyFromSerbia

Post  GuyFromSerbia Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:29 pm

A professional one=volunteer one.Of course,you might not think that it is professional in terms of combat performance.And I actually agree with that.I just have no idea where those 600 bilion go.
    GuyFromSerbia

Post  GuyFromSerbia Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:51 pm

Also,the whole saying that everything is OK with this force right now is not true.

Here are some of the news:

http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1888238,00.html
    http://rt.com/politics/new-russian-outraged-forces-318/

As you can see,because Russians are relying on Conscripts and not boosting up the contract soldiers,their military is getting smaller and smaller every year.Conscripts aren`t VITAL,they are just a repair tool which won`t last much longer.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:59 pm

Those are relatively old articles (2009 and 2012). Now, Russian military forces can make more money than oil and gas workers.

Conscription is needed as it means that during a major wartime, they will have people who are capable of fighting rather then sending a bunch of farmers with no experience, to go die somewhere. This was due to the fact that the second world war has helped caused major casualties for Russia. People say third world war will never happen, but I am pretty certain they said the same thing after the first world war about a second one not happening.

Russia is moving to a mix of conscription/contract based military. Now with the introduction of allowing the creation of private military companies, I can imagine that those will somehow be included as well. But in reality, a huge portion of soldiers use in Iraq as example has been private military. That is in both dealing against Saddam and his troops (whom, regardless of size of army, was all poorly trained, equipped and lacked proper general as Saddam never had military experience yet was in charge of the tactics used). So in the end, they didn't make much difference in against US. But, and the big but, is that many more US lives have been lost, but they are not accounted for, simply because they are private military. Yet, they should be accounted for, since that they are doing many of the same jobs as the US soldiers are doing.

Russia is now going to see at least 1/3 of its military as contract. So conscripts have a chance to continue on and become contract to do better. But replacing all of them for contract is not smart, because if incase shit really hit the fan, then they will be in desperate need of troops and even contract ones are hard to find. I remember during the beginning of the war in Iraq, they were having such difficulties in finding soldiers, they had to turn to National guard and other weekend warriors to go and fight in Iraq/Afghanistan. I also remember when I was working at the US consulate, I had a fair share of people coming in to go and see someone about moving to US. When I asked to see papers, it was military papers about their acceptance into the USMC. I asked why they didn't join Canadian Army as these guys are Canadian, and they said because they had criminal records..... So in the US, they also loosened rules as well, to obtain people.

US spends a lot of money on the military, but if you actually break it down, a lot of it actually goes to the big people, to the maintenance of the military bases it has around the world, and pay/compensation to the military units themselves. Equipment payments and R&D falls somewhere around $100B which is still a lot, but not much more than China as example. So this also in turn does make what Werewolf was saying correct about poorly equipped. Don't forget, many of the equipment in US military is heavily overpriced. My father used to work for Sperry who made military gear for the navy of both nations, as well as radar equipment (worked up in the Dew Lines during the cold war) and he would state that they were heavily overpriced and they were able to get similar modules for its radar from Cezckoslovakia at much cheaper rates.

Hummvees, Bradlys, M1's all of that, are very expensive equipment. They are not necessarily better (actually, the Hummers were garbage many would say, and the Bradly's were being used in rolls that it shouldn't have, due to weaker armour). But they also have to take into account that the people working at these facilities are well paid individual and the companies they are buying from are private (thus they require a profit margin). Russian companies alternatively, are State run and the employees are paid semi-decently (depending on the location. Some are paid worst than a person working at a cell phone booth in Moscow, and some are paid well), and the equipment is not really all that expensive, but are practical. Example is that an M1 tank will go around $4 - $5 million where a T-90 will run around $2 - $3 Million. This is just an example.

Russia, due to its smaller population than USA/China/India, has to rely on conscription due to the fact that if there is a major war, they will have to muster up quite a few million people. In that case, it is better to have the people partially trained already rather than sending farmers to die. In China, India and USA, where they have a larger population, they could get away with having conscription. Actually, India and China specifically, because even if they cannot get that many people to join, that "not many" could be 10 - 20 million soldiers as both the countries population is enormous. USA on the other hand has no public schools but what it does offer, is free schooling (so no student loans) when you join the army, and a guarantee pay cheque and medical care. Russia? Well, school is pretty much already free, so is medical care and social benefits. What is the incentive of joining the Russian army for Russian's? Not much other than a potential to make good money in the future. But if you go to university, set up your own business in IT or what not, you can make millions, or work for an overseas company that can get you a fortune in itself. So even then, contract soldiers, they may still find it hard to get people. Hence why conscription is needed. But, the thing is, there are people you can still pay off (although, many people are now ending up in jail over such corruption) to get out of military service, and as well, there is this loose rule that if you are already destined to go to university (accepted), then you avoid military service.

Israel has conscription. Look at the quality of their soldiers for being mostly conscripts. They are well trained and well disciplined troops. Effective of what they do. If they didn't have conscription, then they would probably be really hard pressed to find troops. If they didn't have a strict conscription, then there would be many more ways to avoid military service.
    higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:24 am

My friends, I would like to ask about your opinions and comments about this article.

Feel free to like or dislike it.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-bear-has-no-claws-russias-massive-military-modernization-11445
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:40 pm

higurashihougi wrote:My friends, I would like to ask about your opinions and comments about this article.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-bear-has-no-claws-russias-massive-military-modernization-11445

Western MSM agitprop for those retards who like to masturbate over "Russia-is-doomed" apocalypse scenarios. To gauge the caliber of the intended readers, simply browse the comments and the low-brow, ignorant and spiteful nature of these intellectual bottom-feeders will become only too apparent. Pay no heed to this biased screed....
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:58 pm

Big_Gazza wrote:
    higurashihougi wrote:My friends, I would like to ask about your opinions and comments about this article.

Western MSM agitprop for those retards who like to masturbate over "Russia-is-doomed" apocalypse scenarios.  To gauge the caliber of the intended readers, simply browse the comments and the low-brow, ignorant and spiteful nature of these intellectual bottom-feeders will become only too apparent.  Pay no heed to this biased screed....

I didn't read the article, I'm guessing they're masturbating over what some 5th-column monetarists said, but little did they know Kudrin had his ass-kicked to the curb for a reason lol!
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:35 pm

Contract soldiers outnumber conscripts in Russian military – Defense Minister

In September, the Russian military had more contract servicemen than conscripts, Sergey Shoigu has said, adding it was proof of the growing prestige of a military career and its popularity among young Russians.

The minister noted that the officers who conducted the draft were obliged to take special measures to decrease the numbers of those who wanted to join the ranks. “Already in September, we started to hold back applicants, because there were so many of them. And this cannot but make us happy,” the Defense Minister said in an interview with the ITAR-TASS news agency.

Shoigu added that sometimes people even tried to bribe military officers in order to join the ranks and the incidents ended in criminal cases. The minister said that such things had never happened before.

Such developments could be explained by more generous wages.

The head of the National Center for Defense, General Mikhail Mizintsev, told the Interfax news agency that for the first time in history the number of contract soldiers in Russian military forces had surpassed the number of conscript soldiers.

The general said that the defense ministry hired over 70,000 people as contract servicemen in 2014, fulfilling the draft plan by 94 percent in September. Over 16,000 contract servicemen joined units that make up Russian peacekeeping forces, the airborne troops, the marines and special forces units.

“Two army brigades, 12 special forces units and five battalions of airborne troops and marines were manned entirely with contract servicemen,” Mizintsev told reporters.

In June this year, Russia introduced a federal law allowing male citizens who reach the age of conscription to choose between one year of conscription and two years as a contract serviceman. The law is part of a larger military reform, with the objective of decreasing the numbers of military in the country, and at the same time boosting their professionalism, as well as improving the quality of weapons and equipment.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:53 pm