Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+73
kvs
sepheronx
flamming_python
KiloGolf
Hannibal Barca
Godric
Solncepek
George1
Cyberspec
iraqidabab
KoTeMoRe
Dima
Monarchist
zorobabel
Heartbeer
zg18
SturmGuard
franco
d_taddei2
victor1985
OminousSpudd
Kyo
Neutrality
whir
Bidoul
Rodinazombie
Ramos 2
Khepesh
Siempre_Leal
marat
HUNTER VZLA
Arctic_Fox
TheArmenian
ultron
Hachimoto
Regular
ExBeobachter1987
Stealthflanker
Inetwarrior
Geronimo
Flyboy77
PapaDragon
Anas Ali
Fred333
2SPOOKY4U
AK_47
Prince Darling
Walther von Oldenburg
Flagship Victory
Abu Bakr al Bosni
Book.
mutantsushi
Manov
Cucumber Khan
sheytanelkebir
putinboss
jhelb
arpakola
Morpheus Eberhardt
higurashihougi
AlfaT8
mack8
Werewolf
par far
Zivo
olibeira
TR1
Vann7
medo
ShahryarHedayatiSHBA
magnumcromagnon
GarryB
NationalRus
77 posters

Yemeni Conflict: News

Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 25 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

Post  Guest Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:54 pm

Only CAS and COIN missions for Apaches they carry 1200 rounds and only when the location and hot zone is very close (under 40mins) from the AFB where the Apache flies its missions from. All other configurations for the Apache all use the additional 3rd fuel tank, the robby tank, which is a modular based fuel tank that will be fitted under the helicopter exactly where the ammunition bay for the 30mm rounds are. That cuts the maximum ammunition payload to the feeding system with additional space between turret and ammunition bay which are in total roughly 300 rounds. This layout is only designed for low value targets more as a defense than an attack, because such layouts were made to equip Apaches with ATGM's + UR to deal with higher value targets than lonely infantry on ground and the 300 rounds are there to deal with infantry.

It is also not true that ATGM's aren't used against infantry, they are, but usually they have different layout meaning HE-Frag warhead and Thermobaric, but what i suspect to be the case is that Russia never actually bought that type of ATGM's with Anti-Personal warheads,  not in numbers, so they are stupidly stuck with either wasting ATGM's with HEAT warheads with limited capability against personal, scattered across or rely on striking formations against such targets those formations and tactics were designed to do.

The issue here is russia indeed never reported to buy ATGM's with He-Frag warheads and i doubt they have over 1000 of them of all heliborne variants in entire RF, which is a short sighted thing they did in the past.

Actually the US is doing it, because their MIC needs the money and advocating air strikes against 1-2 talibans in houses facing a whole platoon with Bradley and Abrams and soldiers equipped with Javelin's to call afterwards an air strike or artillery strike, is their way to go. The US army and its doctrines are dictated by money milking MIC not by actual war economics.

Yes i know about auxilary tank under fuselage which greatly reduces ammo load however that wasnt the main point of whole this discussion so i didnt even mention it. ATGMs in general are not used aganist infantry, fact that US is occasionally wasting Hellfires on dumb targets does not make it something "legit", smart or propper way of using ATGMs, they are simply throwing money though open window coz they can even they would stop doing it during prolonged conflicts aganist someone who actually can fight back. Its easy for them to spare Hellfires on low intensity conflicts where they fire 100-150 per year, in Syria Russians would spend, what 500 by now at least if they were targeting every technical these guys have with Ataka.

I would accept and greet use of Ugroza like system during conflicts like this, however use of ATGMs even with thermobaric or HE FRAG with are made for it, should be limited only to high value targets or as i said above to protect your ground units from imminent attack or to repell overpowering enemy, and tanks naturally since thats their main role. 20 enemies in building giving resistance, throw them ATGM with FAE/HE-Frag you have my blessing, spending it on a car in open field with two guys trying to figure out how to reload HMG? What about no.

After all you have S8 and S13 rockets with FAE, HE-Frag, concrete piercing and flechette warheads, introducing Ugroza would be very smart move, US despite whatever we belive are trying to reduce this waste of Hellfires that we saw last few years. APKWS, LOGIR and TALON projects are trying to merge two worlds precision of Hellfire and cost + simplicity of Hydras.

To my knowledge they did obtain certain numbers of Atakas 9M120F with thermobaric warhead, so they do exist however Russians were always putting AT role of their helicopters forward, which i understand.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:02 pm

Militarov wrote:
    Yes i know about auxilary tank under fuselage which greatly reduces ammo load however that wasnt the main point of whole this discussion so i didnt even mention it. ATGMs in general are not used aganist infantry, fact that US is occasionally wasting Hellfires on dumb targets does not make it something "legit", smart or propper way of using ATGMs, they are simply throwing money though open window coz they can even they would stop doing it during prolonged conflicts aganist someone who actually can fight back. Its easy for them to spare Hellfires on low intensity conflicts where they fire 100-150 per year, in Syria Russians would spend, what 500 by now at least if they were targeting every technical these guys have with Ataka.

I would accept and greet use of Ugroza like system during conflicts like this, however use of ATGMs even with thermobaric or HE FRAG with are made for it, should be limited only to high value targets or as i said above to protect your ground units from imminent attack or to repell overpowering enemy, and tanks naturally since thats their main role. 20 enemies in building giving resistance, throw them ATGM with FAE/HE-Frag you have my blessing, spending it on a car in open field with two guys trying to figure out how to reload HMG? What about no.

After all you have S8 and S13 rockets with FAE, HE-Frag, concrete piercing and flechette warheads, introducing Ugroza would be very smart move, US despite whatever we belive are trying to reduce this waste of Hellfires that we saw last few years. APKWS, LOGIR and TALON projects are trying to merge two worlds precision of Hellfire and cost + simplicity of Hydras.

To my knowledge they did obtain certain numbers of Atakas 9M120F with thermobaric warhead, so they do exist however Russians were always putting AT role of their helicopters forward, which i understand.

In fully i aggree.

Russians have some He-Frag/thermobaric ATGM's for heliborne use, but overall i do not expect them to exceed 1000 ATGM's in whole Russian Army/Airforce and i also include Vikhr's into some part of that numbers sicne they have double warhead Tandem HEAT and He-Frag. The numbers are to limited to use them  on daily basis.

BTW Ugroza exists in russian military since years but only for S-13 and S-24/25 rockets, the S-8 Ugroza was never adopted most probably due the relative high costs and relative low devestation of the limited 80mm, while any target that needed a guidance or more accuracy for low cost weapon would be dealed with more effecient S-13 rockets.

Post  Guest Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:10 pm

Not true, the vast majority of hinds around the globe and in russia are V variants, russia has more than 450 of them in service and many in storage. Mi-24P were chosen because they are the closed to a full CAS aircraft. The Mi-24P is superior to Su-25 when it comes to gun runs, it comes actually close to A-10, in kinetic power, better grouping and more lethal due better accuracy and range. That superiority in gun over Su-25 comes from longer barrel length and better maneuverability to adjust the helicopter more quickly on target instead like Su-25, that has to make long runs, adjust its alignment with target, get close in and then shoot to actually be effective. That leaves the Su-25 in a straight line to its target, which makes it easier to shoot at it with ground fire of all calibres especially for more modern SPAAG's-

In such territory a V model with 12.7mm would have to come even closer to just hit their Toyota trucks with HMG's, since YaKB-12.7 uses double cored steel rounds meaning only direct hits will kill, not fragmentations spreading. The only option would be Mi-24VM2 (Mi-35M) with GSh 23-2L. Mi-35M's should be there, but not unequipped of Vitebsk of course.

Are you really sure about that? To my knowledge most numerious atm in service is P while Vs were gradually removed from service, since Mi28s/35s started coming to units. They produced almost 700 of Ps till 1989. i somewhat highly doubt many Vs is left around as totally 300 Mi24s are remaining in service. I do not have doubts about hundreds being kept in reserve however. And yeah i said that myself, Ps were sent to Syria due to their guns most likely.

There are two dozen of Mi24Vs rearmed with twin GSh 23s from late 80s i belive, they would be suitable too if they are still being around at all.

Post  Guest Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:15 pm

Werewolf wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

In fully i aggree.

Russians have some He-Frag/thermobaric ATGM's for heliborne use, but overall i do not expect them to exceed 1000 ATGM's in whole Russian Army/Airforce and i also include Vikhr's into some part of that numbers sicne they have double warhead Tandem HEAT and He-Frag. The numbers are to limited to use them  on daily basis.

BTW Ugroza exists in russian military since years but only for S-13 and S-24/25 rockets, the S-8 Ugroza was never adopted most probably due the relative high costs and relative low devestation of the limited 80mm, while any target that needed a guidance or more accuracy for low cost weapon would be dealed with more effecient S-13 rockets.

Waiiiit, wait Ugroza was actually produced and put into service? Do you by any chance have some kind of source, article, statement id like to see it, naturally for research purposes not that i do not belive you, but this would be first time i hear it. I remember reading about it more than decade ago in Aero magazine here when it was shown at MAKS 2000. or something like it.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:31 pm

Militarov wrote:
    Not true, the vast majority of hinds around the globe and in russia are V variants, russia has more than 450 of them in service and many in storage. Mi-24P were chosen because they are the closed to a full CAS aircraft. The Mi-24P is superior to Su-25 when it comes to gun runs, it comes actually close to A-10, in kinetic power, better grouping and more lethal due better accuracy and range. That superiority in gun over Su-25 comes from longer barrel length and better maneuverability to adjust the helicopter more quickly on target instead like Su-25, that has to make long runs, adjust its alignment with target, get close in and then shoot to actually be effective. That leaves the Su-25 in a straight line to its target, which makes it easier to shoot at it with ground fire of all calibres especially for more modern SPAAG's-

In such territory a V model with 12.7mm would have to come even closer to just hit their Toyota trucks with HMG's, since YaKB-12.7 uses double cored steel rounds meaning only direct hits will kill, not fragmentations spreading. The only option would be Mi-24VM2 (Mi-35M) with GSh 23-2L. Mi-35M's should be there, but not unequipped of Vitebsk of course.

Are you really sure about that? To my knowledge most numerious atm in service is P while Vs were gradually removed from service, since Mi28s/35s started coming to units. They produced almost 700 of Ps till 1989. i somewhat highly doubt many Vs is left around as totally 300 Mi24s are remaining in service. I do not have doubts about hundreds being kept in reserve however. And yeah i said that myself, Ps were sent to Syria due to their guns most likely.

There are two dozen of Mi24Vs rearmed with twin GSh 23s from late 80s i belive, they would be suitable too if they are still being around at all.

roughly 300 Mi-24's are in active service the rest of roughly 300-450 are reserved, the big majority of Hinds that have been faced out, gifted or sold to countries and mseums have been helicopters that have either reached maximum lifespan of the fuselage or D models that became obsolete years ago.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:55 pm

Militarov wrote:
    In fully i aggree.

Waiiiit, wait Ugroza was actually produced and put into service? Do you by any chance have some kind of source, article, statement id like to see it, naturally for research purposes not that i do not belive you, but this would be first time i hear it. I remember reading about it more than decade ago in Aero magazine here when it was shown at MAKS 2000. or something like it.

Many different guided variants of S-80 have entered Russian and probably Cuban service. They were extensively used in South Africa by at least the Cubans to, among other things, annihilate the South African airforce.

Other than my own knowledge of the system, there was a long and extremely useful article that was published by the Raketnaya Tekhnika about 15 years ago. I don't know if you can find it on that web site or not. I had a translated hard copy of the article, but a couple of years ago, I unfortunately got rid of it.

Two of the guided variants of S-8 that were used in South Africa are as follow.

1- An antiradiation variant designed for both air-to-air and air-to-ground roles. It was extensively used in the air-to-air roles.

2- A two-stage IR guided air-to-air variant, where the first stage was a short S-8 type rocket, and the second stage was a shortened Igla.

There was a lot of discussion in the article about the various launch tube cover designs to allow for the protection of the homing heads for some of the missiles' launch modes of some of the variants.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:04 pm

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    In fully i aggree.

Many different guided variants of S-80 have entered Russian and probably Cuban service. They were extensively used in South Africa by at least the Cubans to, among other things, annihilate the South African airforce.

Other than my own knowledge of the system, there was a long and extremely useful article that was published by the Raketnaya Tekhnika about 15 years ago. I don't know if you can find it on that web site or not. I had a translated hard copy of the article, but a couple of years ago, I unfortunately got rid of it.

Some of the guided variants of S-8 that were used in South Africa are as follow.

1- An antiradiation variant designed for both air-to-air and air-to-ground roles. It was extensively used in the air-to-air roles.

2- A two-stage IR guided air-to-air variant, where the first stage was a short S-8 type rocket, and the second stage was a shortened Igla.

There was a lot of discussion in the article about the various launch tube cover designs to allow for the protection of the homing heads for some of the missiles' launch modes of some of the variants.

Well haven't seen that article, but if you somehow can dig it up or provide any further informations to narrow down the search. Maybe author or something?

Post  Guest Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:46 pm

The Imam of the Holy Mosque in Mecca shoots artillery rounds towards Yemen... Holy...cow....
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:36 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:Something interesting about the Saudi vermin's Patriot SAM batteries... Wink pwnd

According to information from the same source, the Saudi Patriot air defense system able to intercept only 40% of the 20 issued to date of R-17 / Hwasong 6.

Saudi Patriot air defense system against ballistic missile R-17 and their derivations

Link to newsletter TTU? There is no such material. Article - fake. You can look for yourself on the page of this newsletter: http://www.ttu.fr/actualite-forces-armee%20s%20/

Don't fall for propaganda
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:57 pm

max steel wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:Something interesting about the Saudi vermin's Patriot SAM batteries... Wink pwnd

According to information from the same source, the Saudi Patriot air defense system able to intercept only 40% of the 20 issued to date of R-17 / Hwasong 6.

Saudi Patriot air defense system against ballistic missile R-17 and their derivations

Link to newsletter TTU? There is no such material. Article - fake. You can look for yourself on the page of this newsletter: http://www.ttu.fr/actualite-forces-armee%20s%20/

There's nothing fake about the Patriot SAM family's long history of lackluster interception rates, it's been a topic of discussion for several years now. Look up MIT professor Theodore Postol.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:04 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    max steel wrote:

There's nothing fake about the Patriot SAM family's long history of lackluster interception rates, it's been a topic of discussion for several years now. Look up MIT professor Theodore Postol.

The Propaganda about is that they somehow magically reach 40% interception rate. That is 5 times more effecient then Patriots were in Iraq against Scuds. I doubt that success of a technology that has worse parameters than first developed S-300.
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:07 pm

That I know but  I'm talking only about recent Saudi lates PAC-3 interception of Scud-B from houthis. Saudi claimed on media they intercepted it and your link has no valid proof to prove it wrong.

I shared a link from bmpd saying Out of 12 SCUD launched on Saudi air base that killed Saudi air force chief, Patriot managed to intercept only three again they had no source except french intelligence. So it was not that convincing . ( http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1369075.html)
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:54 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    max steel wrote:

But 40% is an extremely high rate. Any claim for more than 0% is probably disinformation.
    Bidoul

Post  Bidoul Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:11 pm

max steel wrote:

There's no link to the "newsletter" for TTU because it's an oldschool one (lettre indépendante et non-institutionnelle d'informations stratégiques et de défense), I.E. it's a paperback mail order only magazine (a newsletter... Internet didn't invent those), last edition has a big chunk of it dedicated on the Yemen conflict and the Shia Alliance.

It's considered as one of (if not THE) the best french civilian publication on military affairs.

And no I don't have that copy.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:21 pm

Whatever next, Russia now a peacemaker in Yemen!!! That Saudi/Russia meeting today would have been interesting.

Russia cooperates with the Yemeni government and opposition to resolve the internal conflict in the country, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Sunday.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Yemen is engulfed in a military conflict between Houthis, the country’s main opposition faction, and government forces. In late March, a Saudi-led coalition of Arab states began airstrikes against Houthis in Yemen at the request of President-in-exile Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi.

"The Russian side… works with the Yemeni government and with various opposition forces to ensure a prompt launch of the political process and political settlement," Lavrov said at a joint press conference with his Saudi counterpart.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20151011/1028364225/russia-cooperates-with-yemen-opposition.html#ixzz3oHxXyGdh

Post  Guest Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:03 am

Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 25 CRJNl90VAAARihV

Well isnt this kinda sad...
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:18 am

^^^^

Savages....that's a loss for the whole world in general
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:54 am

I have read stories that Al quada and the Taleban actually use the destruction of things like those big buddas and museums in general to hide the theft of the items they sell on the black market for cash... would not surprise me if they didn't do it too... I mean they sell oil too.
    whir

Post  whir Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:13 am

GarryB wrote:I have read stories that Al quada and the Taleban actually use the destruction of things like those big buddas and museums in general to hide the theft of the items they sell on the black market for cash... would not surprise me if they didn't do it too... I mean they sell oil too.
    It's not worth the effort, the real business is in undocumented artefacts and that's why ancient sites under their control become mole fields.
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:44 pm

Saudi Arabia Sells Off Wealth Fund as Yemen War Cost Rises cheers cheers lol1

NationalRus
    NationalRus

Post  NationalRus Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:18 pm

max steel wrote:Saudi Arabia Sells Off Wealth Fund as Yemen War Cost Rises    cheers  cheers  lol1

you know how big ther wealth fund is over 670 billion, they pick peanuts from it, change money... so dont cheer to early Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  they can go on for years like that, and if by god the oil price goes up they can continue for decades
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:45 pm

NationalRus wrote:
    max steel wrote:Saudi Arabia Sells Off Wealth Fund as Yemen War Cost Rises    cheers  cheers  lol1

you know how big ther wealth fund is over 670 billion, they pick peanuts from it, change money... so dont cheer to early Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  they can go on for years like that, and if by god the oil price goes up they can continue for decades

They already spent 187 billion on oil deflation alone in about one year (this are known figures, black expenditures are a plus). With another year things will 'stabilize'. So yes Assad needs to hold some more.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:51 pm

NationalRus wrote:

Yemen war costs are peanuts, but large budget deficit and Saudi way of life of buying loyalty burn a lot of money from their reserves. Saudis already burn around 100 billion $ from reserves and if those costs of war in Yemen and in Syria and Iraq will continue as well as low oil prices and large budget deficit, than Saudi Arabia will soon face big troubles, specially uprise of low masses. The world is going into the large depression and I doubt oil price will go much higher as World economy is shrinking and the need for oil is going down. The biggest problem will be the fall of USD, which will mean, that Saudi reserves become worth nothing. The West is trapped in the biggest financial trap, with cooling down of the World economy, shrinking demand on western products and too large debt to pay. West need new credits to function, but they could not sell new bonds any more and on the other hand with China, KSA and others selling back their bonds, US and EU have to pay for those bonds with money.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:57 pm

medo wrote:
    NationalRus wrote:

Yemen war costs are peanuts, but large budget deficit and Saudi way of life of buying loyalty burn a lot of money from their reserves. Saudis already burn around 100 billion $ from reserves and if those costs of war in Yemen and in Syria and Iraq will continue as well as low oil prices and large budget deficit, than Saudi Arabia will soon face big troubles, specially uprise of low masses. The world is going into the large depression and I doubt oil price will go much higher as World economy is shrinking and the need for oil is going down. The biggest problem will be the fall of USD, which will mean, that Saudi reserves become worth nothing. The West is trapped in the biggest financial trap, with cooling down of the World economy, shrinking demand on western products and too large debt to pay. West need new credits to function, but they could not sell new bonds any more and on the other hand with China, KSA and others selling back their bonds, US and EU have to pay for those bonds with money.

20% GPD is way over 100 bln.
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:20 pm

There wealth fund contains 800 Billion$. Learn some facts

Time for the United States to Start Worrying About a Saudi Collapse

Unlike Russia saudis don't sell anything or make high end weapons for export. They got nothing except oil. They are in deficit already.

Saudi Arabia Faces Another 'Very Scary Moment' As Economy, FX Regime Face Crude Reality

Saudi Reserves Drop for Fifth Straight Month

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:31 pm