Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+73
kvs
sepheronx
flamming_python
KiloGolf
Hannibal Barca
Godric
Solncepek
George1
Cyberspec
iraqidabab
KoTeMoRe
Dima
Monarchist
zorobabel
Heartbeer
zg18
SturmGuard
franco
d_taddei2
victor1985
OminousSpudd
Kyo
Neutrality
whir
Bidoul
Rodinazombie
Ramos 2
Khepesh
Siempre_Leal
marat
HUNTER VZLA
Arctic_Fox
TheArmenian
ultron
Hachimoto
Regular
ExBeobachter1987
Stealthflanker
Inetwarrior
Geronimo
Flyboy77
PapaDragon
Anas Ali
Fred333
2SPOOKY4U
AK_47
Prince Darling
Walther von Oldenburg
Flagship Victory
Abu Bakr al Bosni
Book.
mutantsushi
Manov
Cucumber Khan
sheytanelkebir
putinboss
jhelb
arpakola
Morpheus Eberhardt
higurashihougi
AlfaT8
mack8
Werewolf
par far
Zivo
olibeira
TR1
Vann7
medo
ShahryarHedayatiSHBA
magnumcromagnon
GarryB
NationalRus
77 posters

Yemeni Conflict: News

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Yemeni Conflict: News - Page 15 Empty Re: Yemeni Conflict: News

Post  PapaDragon Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:38 pm

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Remember Operation Scorched Earth from 2010? Saudis lost (by THEIR OWN admission) over 130 KIA, over 470 WIA... And that was when Houthi territory was limited pretty much to a single province around Saudi border - now they control half of the country's population and have Yemeni Republican Guard on their own side... together with IRGC special forces that constantly train them and give them new equipment.

I would be very grateful if someone outlined equipment operated by Houthis - do they have latest Iranian stuff? Iranian MLRS, balistic missiles, ATGMS?

They actually called it Operation Scorched Earth??!!?!?? Shocked

Jesus Saudis.... lol1
    Fred333
    Fred333

Post  Fred333 Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:19 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Remember Operation Scorched Earth from 2010? Saudis lost (by THEIR OWN admission) over 130 KIA, over 470 WIA... And that was when Houthi territory was limited pretty much to a single province around Saudi border - now they control half of the country's population and have Yemeni Republican Guard on their own side... together with IRGC special forces that constantly train them and give them new equipment.

I would be very grateful if someone outlined equipment operated by Houthis - do they have latest Iranian stuff? Iranian MLRS, balistic missiles, ATGMS?

They actually called it Operation Scorched Earth??!!?!?? Shocked

Jesus Saudis.... lol1

maybe it sounds better in arabic? dunno
    Fred333
    Fred333

Post  Fred333 Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:31 am

There's an interesting poster om themess, beardlessinfidel, I don't always agree with his framing but info-wise he is usually right on the money. According to him, the grand alliance between Houthis and army is breaking down after the former tried to replace army leadership with their own. Also, gulf states economic blockade is seriously hurting the war effort against the KSA and for the same reasons I surmise Iranian assistance is not very large (only a few supply runs at the start of the war, none after the Saudi blockade, no real IRGC involvement). If this is correct, then I guess we will see a progressive collapse of Houthi territorial holdings, until they have been pushed back into their core areas. After that Saudis will probably reinforce their proxies in the country in an effort to keep the Houthis boxed in and harmless.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:56 pm

Fred333 wrote:

There's an interesting poster om themess, beardlessinfidel, I don't always agree with his framing but info-wise he is usually right on the money. According to him, the grand alliance between Houthis and army is breaking down after the former tried to replace army leadership with their own. Also, gulf states economic blockade is seriously hurting the war effort against the KSA and for the same reasons I surmise Iranian assistance is not very large (only a few supply runs at the start of the war, none after the Saudi blockade, no real IRGC involvement). If this is correct, then I guess we will see a progressive collapse of Houthi territorial holdings, until they have been pushed back into their core areas. After that Saudis will probably reinforce their proxies in the country in an effort to keep the Houthis boxed in and harmless.

I remember when 'BeardlessInfidel' back on mp.net opined on how much of a bad deal the used Su-25s that Iraq bought from Russia were; as allegedly Iraq was about to launch a blistering counter-offensive that would send the ISIS fighters reeling; completely reversing all of ISIS's gains over the past several months and kicking them back into Syria.

Of course, no such imaginary blitzkrieg summer offensive by Iraq's dozens of imaginary reserve divisions that it had being prepared in the rear ever actually happened in the end, instead ISIS just continued to take ever more ground, was even bold enough to strike deep into Kurdistan, and long story short those Su-25s proved highly invaluable indeed.

People still listen to this poser though, which does tick me off a little.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:12 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    Fred333 wrote:

I remember when 'BeardlessInfidel' back on mp.net opined on how much of a bad deal the used Su-25s that Iraq bought from Russia were; as allegedly Iraq was about to launch a blistering counter-offensive that would send the ISIS fighters reeling; completely reversing all of ISIS's gains over the past several months and kicking them back into Syria.

Of course, no such imaginary blitzkrieg summer offensive by Iraq's dozens of imaginary reserve divisions that it had being prepared in the rear ever actually happened in the end, instead ISIS just continued to take ever more ground, was even bold enough to strike deep into Kurdistan, and long story short those Su-25s proved highly invaluable indeed.

There is both sides to it. There are the Iraqi's who think that all american is best (even if proven horribly wrong) and vice versa. I think in the end, whatever works works and Su-25's proved it. Beardlessinfidel was an idiot imo but he did have good info, even if it wasn't all accurate.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:53 am

Prepare for some Russian Equipment redemption now ladies and mostly gentlemen.

Saudi sukas ambushed and minced. Bradley in the fray completely torched. So much for Wunderwaffens. Thanks to Houthis Russian engineering is scoring massive brown points in assymetric warfare.

Tochkas from Yemen to Saudi Arabia with Love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSAbckDd_vE Apache dropped by Sa-18 allegedly. Third Apache downed so far, Pilot and SWO dead.

Saudis ambushed. Multiple RPG's fired along with DSHK's.

Konkurs gotta Konkurs...

These were partly seen from Pride's post at the other site.
    Fred333
    Fred333

Post  Fred333 Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:58 am

yeah I saw them too! looks like houthi's are far from being out of the fight. with all the lackluster media attention and accuracy in the west, I wonder what the losses on both sides are right now.

edit: this is the true war on terror and it seems the houthi's are the only ones on the front lines facing off with its source.

Last edited by Fred333 on Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:01 am

flamming_python wrote:
    Fred333 wrote:

Actually he was partly right. The backlash happened, right until AMC (AmeriCan'ts) pressured to Iraqis to cease the use of the shiite militias...and right there Ramadi happened. The Su's on the other side were a helluva GOOD deal. And Sheytan was critically right on that. Beardless has his mainstays, he is right on most core things, just way too much anti Assad to get the point. There will be no Houthi territorial collapse, since the whole point of Houthi resistance is that they used the ground at their advantage. Furthermore, while the KSA coalition can reign terror from the skies, once in the ground they're les capable than the UA armed forces. And we'll see the same kind of dismal performance that we saw back in the good old days. But this tume Gucci Western Equipment will be wrecked at the great displeasure of the Western Fanboys...yeah no more wunderwaffens.

Fred333 wrote:yeah I saw them too! looks like houthi's are far from being out of the fight. with all the lackluster media attention and accuracy in the west, I wonder what the losses on both sides are right now.

edit: this is the true war on terror and it seems the houthi's are the only ones on the front lines facing off with its source.

The losses will gradually become more balanced since the great bombing run is mostly over. There aren't much big targets to hit, unless the US starts taking part in this and cues those motherf.... Houthis aren't alone in here...don't forget. This is about to become tit for tat for the Syrian TOW's. Prepare to see more Konkurs use, Metis-M applications. What is also likely to happen is Some of those Yemeni Tor's that haven't been toched...will pop back up. Even on limited capability mode, they're more than enough to cause strong emotions among the Saudis.
    Fred333
    Fred333

Post  Fred333 Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:09 am

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:
    Fred333 wrote:

Actually he was partly right. The backlash happened, right until AMC (AmeriCan'ts) pressured to Iraqis to cease the use of the shiite militias...and right there Ramadi happened. The Su's on the other side were a helluva GOOD deal. And Sheytan was critically right on that. Beardless has his mainstays, he is right on most core things, just way too much anti Assad to get the point. There will be no Houthi territorial collapse, since the whole point of Houthi resistance is that they used the ground at their advantage. Furthermore, while the KSA coalition can reign terror from the skies, once in the ground they're les capable than the UA armed forces. And we'll see the same kind of dismal performance that we saw back in the good old days. But this tume Gucci Western Equipment will be wrecked at the great displeasure of the Western Fanboys...yeah no more wunderwaffens.

he is pretty much anti-everyone, anti-Iran, GCC, Assad, Israel, US, you name it. to me it seems like he is an extreme idealist who drank too much freedom and democracy koolaid at some point (but not the watered down stuff the west tries to sell)
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:20 am

Fred333 wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:
    Fred333 wrote:

he is pretty much anti-everyone, anti-Iran, GCC, Assad, Israel, US, you name it. to me it seems like he is an extreme idealist who drank too much freedom and democracy koolaid at some point (but not the watered down stuff the west tries to sell)

100% with you, That's called an objective observer...it is true he doesn't like anyone, because all are ugly mofos in the area. But he accepts that SOME things have to go. On Assad he's partly right. Ideally, Syria deserves better than a de facto monarchy. But surely not to the motherfuckers that Assad is facing now. He understands that Iran is under siege. Understands that Iraq is also under siege and Iran's aid, isn't really sincere (I disagree but what ever). He's mostly right about the Kurdish issue. And off course he doesn't do PC in the face of the Israeli Debiolid crew. I respect him for his cojones. But he's bound to end badly, no matter the level of truth in his words. Some compromise has to be done.
    Fred333
    Fred333

Post  Fred333 Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:42 am

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Fred333 wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:
    Fred333 wrote:

100% with you, That's called an objective observer...it is true he doesn't like anyone, because all are ugly mofos in the area. But he accepts that SOME things have to go. On Assad he's partly right. Ideally, Syria deserves better than a de facto monarchy. But surely not to the motherfuckers that Assad is facing now. He understands that Iran is under siege. Understands that Iraq is also under siege and Iran's aid, isn't really sincere (I disagree but what ever). He's mostly right about the Kurdish issue. And off course he doesn't do PC in the face of the Israeli Debiolid crew. I respect him for his cojones. But he's bound to end badly, no matter the level of truth in his words. Some compromise has to be done.

of course Assad needs to go, but not like this. with turkey slowly going to hell, the world doesn't need another wahhabi shitfest in that area. btw, what's his stance on the kurdish issue? I would ask "in person" on the other forum, however I am in suspension limbo...
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:19 am

S.Arabia's "Vietnam"?

Falling Saudi Saudi Apache and destroyed machinery
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:55 am

M1Abramz getting OMGWTFBBQ by good ole Konkurs (DAT high pitched sound).

Iran's Ali Voentorgi seems right on track. Comrade Farsi looks like he's quite the shi'ite clown .

If you hear closely, you can hear Damian90 weeping in the background. Perfect Tank design etc...

Flyboy77
    Flyboy77

Post  Flyboy77 Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:37 am

KoTeMoRe wrote:

Was going to post the same video. I still think the Abrams is a good tank though the indestructibility myth that came out of the first gulf war has been greatly exaggerated.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:48 am

Flyboy77 wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:

Was going to post the same video. I still think the Abrams is a good tank though the indestructibility myth that came out of the first gulf war has been greatly exaggerated.

Good or bad, that's actually not the point. It might have been that golden Konkurs...the point is that indeed the Reports on that tanks "indestructibility" were greatly exaggerated. BTW unlike what's claimed (notably by people at the other site) both Abrams tanks destroyed are M1A2 variants (you can see the TIS and CITV) thus those bought and modified from 2006 onwards (including DU slabs). This should only highlight the reality of the US way of warfare. It's a system with multiple layers. Extract every single component out and isolate it, and you'll have similar results.

Not badmouthing the hardware here, just underlining what I said about the pointless comparisons between T-90 and Abrams. You got flip-flop equipped dudes, munching qat all day blowing up 11 USd worth of steel and even chanting death to Amrika. Looks like 1970's again...

Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg

Post  Walther von Oldenburg Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:22 pm

Destroyed Saudi convoy:
    Fred333
    Fred333

Post  Fred333 Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:29 pm

well at least it is now possible to compensate the wahhabi apologist videos of "FSA" groups blowing up SAA stuff with videos of Houthis blowing up Saudi stuff
    Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg

Post  Walther von Oldenburg Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:40 pm

Fred333 wrote:well at least it is now possible to compensate the wahhabi apologist videos of "FSA" groups blowing up SAA stuff with videos of Houthis blowing up Saudi stuff
    Well, the ammo compartment of M1 Abrams is designed in such a way that even ammo cookoff is not usually catastrophic - usually the compartment utself is burned but the crew has a high chance of surviving and the tank itself can be repaired and brought back to service within several days - nothing like T-72 with flying turrets.

In order to completely destroy M1 you would have to fire a KE round right into the back of the turret to make it punch through to the crew compartment - good luck with that in Yemen.
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:01 pm

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:
    Fred333 wrote:well at least it is now possible to compensate the wahhabi apologist videos of "FSA" groups blowing up SAA stuff with videos of Houthis blowing up Saudi stuff
    Well, the ammo compartment of M1 Abrams is designed in such a way that even ammo cookoff is not usually catastrophic - usually the compartment utself is burned but the crew has a high chance of surviving and the tank itself can be repaired and brought back to service within several days - nothing like T-72 with flying turrets.

BS, the tank literally needs to be whisk of back to the factory to get completely renewed, that sh#t takes months.

In order to completely destroy M1 you would have to fire a KE round right into the back of the turret to make it punch through to the crew compartment - good luck with that in Yemen.

Ooh please, HEAT will do just fine especially if it's the rear, and consider this is mostly gorilla warfare getting attack in the rear is a common tactic.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:16 pm

Yeah but that order of magnitude though. 30K USD Tow's blowing up marginally more expensive equipment. While 8K USD Konkurs wreck millions per shot. Wasn't it Dfarce that said Western Equipment is on par with Soviet? I guess the accountants will opine to the contrary.

WvO: Nope as you can see the said video clearly shows you only have to hit the M1 right. Upper Flank shot, ammo brew almost instantly, huge conflagration and what looks as a complete spillover to the fighting compartment (you can see it blew off the floor trap). Saudi BBQ ribs included. BTW the ATGM flies 10 seconds at 200m/sec =2000m range. The second attack is even closer.

Which makes me think WTF do the Saudis use those Thermals for?
    Fred333
    Fred333

Post  Fred333 Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:35 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:

Yeah but that order of magnitude though. 30K USD Tow's blowing up marginally more expensive equipment. While 8K USD Konkurs wreck millions per shot. Wasn't it Dfarce that said Western Equipment is on par with Soviet? I guess the accountants will opine to the contrary.

WvO: Nope as you can see the said video clearly shows you only have to hit the M1 right. Upper Flank shot, ammo brew almost instantly, huge conflagration and what looks as a complete spillover to the fighting compartment (you can see it blew off the floor trap). Saudi BBQ ribs included. BTW the ATGM flies 10 seconds at 200m/sec =2000m range. The second attack is even closer.

A tank is only as good as its crew, an army is only as good as its soldiers /cliche
    One destroyed M1 is more expensive than 5? 8? destroyed T-72s? Difference is, Syria cannot afford the manpower and equipment losses, KSA can, they still have lots of money to burn and legions of Wahhabi zombies to bother other countries with...
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Fred333 wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:

A tank is only as good as its crew, an army is only as good as its soldiers /cliche
    One destroyed M1 is more expensive than 5? 8? destroyed T-72s? Difference is, Syria cannot afford the manpower and equipment losses, KSA can, they still have lots of money to burn and legions of Wahhabi zombies to bother other countries with...

Actually the KSA can't afford the kind of losses we see so far. Bear in mind, they got mostly NATO-styled ORBAT with "small" number of Abrams (about 300 give or take); if they start losing them like this, soon enough they'll go back to AMX30's, which is like going to war on a coffin. All in all we're talking of about 1200 MBT's (most of them "obsolete").

As for buying, yes, they have the money, but they aren't many sources for the said tanks. If push comes to shove they'd be forced to induct US storage M1's. Those 400 M1's that Greece was eying from the US might go and "die fast" as Book put it somewhere in Yemen.

On the other side, the DRO produces the Tosan-1 at 3K USD. Hell the HJ-8 sold to Sudan and ending up in Syria is at 5K USD. Wrecking havoc will always be the cheapest soluton...

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:02 pm

Fred333 wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:

You say that but you haven't taken in to account that the majority of Saudi oil is in Eastern Saudi Arabia, with demographics that are predominately Shiite. If the war ends up spilling heavily in to Saudi territory, it'll only be a matter of time before the Shia population starts to rebel, in which we may very well see the Saudi govt. being cut off from large portions of their oil.

You also haven't taken in to account the global oil glut initiated by the GCC, in which hydrocarbon sales garner significantly less revenue.
    Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg

Post  Walther von Oldenburg Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:11 pm

We would need heavy Saudi defeat in Yemen in order to see that.

Personally, I would like to see a large scale war between Iran and Gulf nations in Iraq - can you imagine 100,000 IRGC vs th entire Saudi and Emirati army?

There is however a question how would Turkey and US react to tha - remember that fall of Saudi oil-rich terrtories to Iran means nearly inevitable fall of Kuwait and Bahrain - and if that happens, Iran would be in control of ca . 60% of world oil reserves. Who wants to see that?
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:We would need heavy Saudi defeat in Yemen in order to see that.

Personally, I would like to see a large scale war between Iran and Gulf nations in Iraq - can you imagine 100,000 IRGC vs th entire Saudi and Emirati army?

There is however a question how would Turkey and US react to tha - remember that fall of Saudi oil-rich terrtories to Iran means nearly inevitable fall of Kuwait and Bahrain - and if that happens, Iran would be in control of ca . 60% of world oil reserves. Who wants to see that?

That's the end game though for the KSA. They'll just cry Uncle (Sugar) and the US would have a casus belli to start its long awaited Iran "Democratization".

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:54 am