Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

Militarov

Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News

Post  Militarov on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:44 pm

Giulio wrote:Right, and it would end on all World newspapers: "the US Navy saves Russian Navy". The Su-33 has new engines and systems. I'm sure that no military pilot being healthy in mind would do such a thing.

Well... newspapers need to sell. Again i am saying all this just as possibility.

Su-33 is same as it was the day it was built, we are not aware of any deep modernisations being perfomed except allegedly on few SVP-24 being fitted. Also they are still on AL-31F3 engines as they were always. So its basically just Su-27P with folding wings and reinforced landing gear.
    Giulio

Post  Giulio on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:55 pm

Militarov wrote:
    Giulio wrote:Right, and it would end on all World newspapers: "the US Navy saves Russian Navy". The Su-33 has new engines and systems. I'm sure that no military pilot being healthy in mind would do such a thing.

Well... newspapers need to sell. Again i am saying all this just as possibility.

Su-33 is same as it was the day it was built, we are not aware of any deep modernisations being perfomed except allegedly on few SVP-24 being fitted. Also they are still on AL-31F3 engines as they were always. So its basically just Su-27P with folding wings and reinforced landing gear.

But don't the Su-33 have new Al-31FM1 engines with 13,5 tons thrust and new satellite nav/attack system?
    Militarov

Post  Militarov on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:08 pm

Giulio wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

But don't the Su-33 have new Al-31FM1 engines with 13,5 tons thrust and new satellite nav/attack system?

Not that i am aware of, franco might know if they did such modernisation, but i never heard of their engines being replaced. Its satelite navigation and SVP-24, its nothing spectacular really, its just quick modernisation.
    medo

Post  medo on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:42 pm

Interesting video about carrier aircraft operations from today. At the first seconds we could see a cockpit of Su-33, where it seems to be a new MFD display similar to the one in the front cockpit of MiG-31BM or in Su-30KN.
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion on Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:15 am

Although theoretically an Su-33 could land on NATO carrier, they would rather ditch it & eject for reasons already mentioned by others (another 1 being not to show its current level of modernization or lack of it), even if it could take off w/o a CAT.
    JohninMK wrote:Anyone else think that she will cruise home via Sevastopol?
    I doubt it. Why burn more fuel & pay extra to Turkey twice for transiting the straits? There's nothing for her to do in the Black Sea, & Ukraine won't get scared of her anyway as it's been a PR disaster, unless it's used as a helicopter carrier in a combined operation. This is a classic example of assets not used as they were designed for- they wanted to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, by catching up on training/testing & to the show of force. But, a negative result is also a result & they'll learn from those mistakes.

Last edited by Tsavo Lion on Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:17 am; edited 2 times in total
    KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf on Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:13 am

medo wrote:

Interesting video about carrier aircraft operations from today. At the first seconds we could see a cockpit of Su-33, where it seems to be a new MFD display similar to the one in the front cockpit of MiG-31BM or in Su-30KN.

back in the game cheers
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible on Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:16 am

I may be blind but I cant see the display that medo states. Please post screenshot.
    KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf on Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:24 am

miketheterrible wrote:I may be blind but I cant see the display that medo states.  Please post screenshot.

First 2 seconds. It's a new MFD with buttons on the edge, instead of the soviet potentiometer-like dial.
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible on Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:47 am

KiloGolf wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote:I may be blind but I cant see the display that medo states.  Please post screenshot.

First 2 seconds. It's a new MFD with buttons on the edge, instead of the soviet potentiometer-like dial.

I see it now. Right hand side. I was looking on the left for whatever reason.

miroslav

Post  miroslav on Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:53 am

hoom wrote:K may be going into Tartus.
    Apparently PtG has entered & K photographed not far off

I'm sorry if it wasn't you intention to suggest that this is the PtG, that is the silhouette of a Ropucha class assault ship.
    hoom

Post  hoom on Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:34 am

Indeed the pic was said to show PtG going in.
    At the time it didn't seem quite right but then the 2nd pic was definitely K so I took their word for it Embarassed

Charly015 shows that its definitely a Ropucha http://charly015.blogspot.co.nz/2016/12/el-pedro-el-grande-en-tartus.html

He's also counted 5* Mig-29K on K http://charly015.blogspot.co.nz/2016/12/las-aeronaves-bordo-del-kuznetsov-mig.html

PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:17 am

Old post got lost so I'm asking again:

Have they resumed flight ops after cable SNAFU?

And by looking at the amount of space those AA launchers take up they could easily fit same number of both AA and ASh missiles that is has now in that AA space alone via Redut and UKSK and still have room to spare.

After that they could simply remove those Granit launchers from the front and still keep the amount of firepower unchanged while gaining a lot of free space.

And I called it two weeks back that they can easily fly extra MiG-29s on board. I still don't know why everyone sees that plane as something rare. MiG-29 is aerial equivalent of Ford Crown Victoria, nothing special regardless of the equipment package.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:05 am

Ill just say it this way, if someone asked me if i want to fly on air defence mission on Su-33 or Rafale-M id pick Rafale. For the purpose of bringing head back to home to my fiance, tho it might be her biggest disappointment of a day. Fraction of the cost comes with hidden price in terms of having no modern avionics whatsoever due to age of the bort. I bet if you asked RuNAV pilots they would agree with me on this one. Its easy to us here to say "ye, its good, cost effective stuff", but when your head is on the plate...

If the Su-33 cost a quarter of what the Rafale does it would not exist... there would be nothing for you to refuse to fly in.

Ofc the size of fleet matters. Its quite simple, you have Super Hornets that fly some idk, 250 hours a year? Maybe even more for instructors. And you have like 450 of them flying. On other side you have like 12-13 Su-33s and 4 MiG-29Ks... which i doubt flew more than 100 hours last few years. And that is an increase compared to previous years. Some original F-18s broke 9.000 flying hours mark...

Numbers should not matter at all... all US Navy equipment is perfect so it should not matter how often it is used... all faults found instantly, backup plan after backup plan allows for problems to be solved instantly... they don't even need tug boats... they have a world wide support network of alternative landing sites and support vessels... how can planes crash when the pilots clearly walk on water...

Even MiG-25 that landed in Japan was returned to USSR after few days.

Not all of it.

I didnt say that, but if US carrier was hailed and asked to aid Su-33 in landing, i am quite sure they would do it. That is what i am saying. Not like that is very likely to happen, but if...

Not a chance. Just like the Soviet request for help at Chernobyl was also refused...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    medo

Post  medo on Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:05 pm

Second that. If someone could make a screenshot, it will be really wellcome.
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian on Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:39 pm

At night:

TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian on Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:42 pm

medo

Post  medo on Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:20 pm

Great photos, thanks. Now we could see this MFD more clearly. thumbsup
    medo

Post  medo on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:55 am

TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:49 am

hoom

Post  hoom on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:53 am

Part 2 of Military Acceptance on K

Includes a bunch of footage of arrestor gear stuff.
    My understanding is it was done after the 1st failure but before the 2nd.
    hoom

Post  hoom on Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:48 pm

Here is part 3

Good closeups of the deck, new paint looks pretty smooth maybe even gloss? Deck underneath looks plenty pitted to give decent grip anyway, the angled deck is definitely anti-skid.
    I wonder if Charly015 will find some new plane numbers?
    Fascinating mix of ancient manual stuff, CRTs & a few flat panels in the control center (anyone see a Mars-Passat label? Laughing think-tankers would shit bricks)
    Interesting how much close observation/aircraft passes everyone seems to be doing.
    hoom

Post  hoom on Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:33 pm

Here's a nice pic of K, I think around/during English Channel transit? via Balancer forum
    medo

Post  medo on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:58 pm

https://lenta.ru/news/2017/01/03/kuznets/

https://lenta.ru/news/2017/01/06/kuznetsov/

Russian carrier Admiral Kuznetsov could finish its deployment in Syria in January and not in February as planed before as part of reduction of forces in Syria.

Maybe it will sound strange, but Kuznetsov first real combat deployment was actually sucessful. Militarily speaking, it's main combat task was to support military operation to liberate Aleppo and in time of Kuznetsov deployment Aleppo WAS fully liberated, so the main task for Kuznetsov was sucessfully done and this is what really matter in real combat. They didn't lost any jet in combat missions, but they lost two because of problems with arrestor wires. Break of wire was an accident, which could happened anytime on any carrier, while the first trouble, when MiG-29 run out of fuel is the problem of crew training, which could be caused by the problem, that Yeisk center is not finished yet and SAKI is in bad shape and need general renovation. This is not only a problem for pilot training, but also for carrier crew training as they could as well have whole year training with finishers and carrier deck operations in those training centers as they also have whole carrier infrastructure. With constant training most probably MiG would not run out of fuel as crew could repaire the failure in shorter time.
    medo

Post  medo on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:23 pm

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/russian-air-force-destroyed-1200-militant-sites-syria-report/

Russian naval aviation pilots have performed 420 sorties and destroyed 1,252 terrorist facilities over the two months of the aircraft carrier naval group’s participation in the Syria operation, Commander of Russia’s Group of Forces in Syria Colonel-General Andrei Kartapolov said on Friday.

"Over the two months of their participation in combat operations, naval aviation pilots have carried out 420 sorties, including 117 in nighttime. Actually all flights were performed in complex weather conditions. A total of 1,252 terrorist facilities have been destroyed," he said.

Their operation was actually excellent. Considering that in combat they carry 2 to 4 bombs and quarter of them was in night time. This was somethong unthinkable for Su-33 a year ago. russia

I think China will soon send a delegation to Northern fleet to get some first hand experiences from Syrian deployment as they have sister carrier Liaoning and Su-33 clone J-15. They are for sure the most interested in them.
    KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:54 pm

medo wrote:https://lenta.ru/news/2017/01/03/kuznets/

https://lenta.ru/news/2017/01/06/kuznetsov/

Russian carrier Admiral Kuznetsov could finish its deployment in Syria in January and not in February as planed before as part of reduction of forces in Syria.

Maybe it will sound strange, but Kuznetsov first real combat deployment was actually sucessful. Militarily speaking, it's main combat task was to support military operation to liberate Aleppo and in time of Kuznetsov deployment Aleppo WAS fully liberated, so the main task for Kuznetsov was sucessfully done and this is what really matter in real combat. They didn't lost any jet in combat missions, but they lost two because of problems with arrestor wires. Break of wire was an accident, which could happened anytime on any carrier, while the first trouble, when MiG-29 run out of fuel is the problem of crew training, which could be caused by the problem, that Yeisk center is not finished yet and SAKI is in bad shape and need general renovation. This is not only a problem for pilot training, but also for carrier crew training as they could as well have whole year training with finishers and carrier deck operations in those training centers as they also have whole carrier infrastructure. With constant training most probably MiG would not run out of fuel as crew could repaire the failure in shorter time.

That went well... not silent
    RuN has a long way to go when it comes to carrier ops. Lets hope this deployment gives them useful insight to perform better next time.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:23 am