Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+70
Kimppis
Rmf
szo
Kyo
type055
kvs
tempestii
2SPOOKY4U
EKS
Mike E
navyfield
bantugbro
mutantsushi
gaurav
mig7
RTN
Morpheus Eberhardt
Indian Flanker
Zinuru
Djoka
George1
Airbornewolf
lulldapull
Hannibal Barca
Alex555
Hachimoto
Giulio
havok
eridan
etaepsilonk
magnumcromagnon
Cyberspec
ali.a.r
Werewolf
CaptainPakistan
GJ Flanker
macedonian
Arrow
zg18
BlackArrow
Vann7
flamming_python
KomissarBojanchev
a89
JPJ
Rpg type 7v
Department Of Defense
collegeboy16
quetzacol
dionis
AlfaT8
sepheronx
NickM
TheArmenian
coolieno99
nemrod
Zivo
Firebird
mack8
Mindstorm
Sujoy
Deep Throat
Stealthflanker
SOC
TR1
Flanky
medo
Viktor
Austin
GarryB
74 posters

PAK-FA, T-50: News #2

Mike E
    Mike E

PAK-FA, T-50: News #2 - Page 34 Empty Re: PAK-FA, T-50: News #2

Post  Mike E Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:44 am

sepheronx wrote:
    Mike E wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Meh, if the processor works, stick with it.  The other aspect is that the Intel processor, much like the Elbrus one, has been tested for extreme conditions of electromagetnic pulses to prevent major damages to it (either that or go back to vaccum tubes for everything) and has been in production for a lot longer (MCST one is actually quite new), thus making it a lot cheaper than another one that could be faster, but provides no added benefit.  Same processor is being used for F-35 as well.

It goes back to the old question: Would one computer to power all on an aircraft be better/cheaper than multiple computers for various gadgets in an aircraft?  In this case, I would the latter be better since if the computer fails, it wont take everything with it.  For radar translations are done so fast, milliseconds, that a new processor, regardless of it being faster, won't add any benefit at all.  Only thing it could add is that the processor would be more powerful enough to run multiple tasks at once compared to the old one.  But if it fails (which actually, smaller transistor processors have higher failure rates compared to the older 180nm tech), it would take a lot with it.

I asked my father this same question a few years ago, since he worked for Sperry and IBM (when working on processors and other IC for military and civil tech) and his statement is that even though the new may be faster, it is in a lot of cases more prone to failures as well as provides little to no need of tech.  Hence why they went with a lot of slower, older MIPS and RISC processors over the more advanced CISC processors at the time.

Funny thing he told me, is that in the military, they have a huge backup of analog systems, old coil wrappings for memory, vacuum tubes and what not, for "just in case".
    It cannot be that hard to build a replacement... Like I said, it doesn't have to be a "miracle processor". All it has to do, is improve the architecture etc and keep the optimized DSP design. An improved model could handle the same conditions, and EMP-resistance isn't a major challenge. My question to you, is why compromise? - I swore the F-35 used a newer chip, after all ,they wanted to upgrade the F-22's chip....

I agree with that... There should be multiple processing units and not just one, I never suggested otherwise... The ability to process information quicker, and multitask better (like you said), is very much an upgrade. More so when the radar systems themselves are getting more and more complicated. AESA radars always have hundreds of independent emitters/receivers, what is going to happen when they have thousands if not tens or even hundreds of thousands? That much information could overwhelm an older chip like that, especially if trying to resist jamming etc (switching bands etc). 

I should ask my father a similar question... He worked in both the hardware and software divisions of defense contractors for many years, and thankfully he continues to retain that knowledge. The chance of failure isn't much higher, if not lower... The advanced nature has less to do with reliability than production facilities and stable software and architectures etc. A die shrink + whatever else they'd do wouldn't destroy the chip....

For good reason....

The failure rate for newer processors is very high compared to the old.

That said, you need to find a reason to upgrade it.  In the end, if it runs better, but the difference is 20ms vs 1ms, then it is still beyond human comprehension to notice the difference.  Like the lag between sunlight to the human eye.  Only area where it may be beneficial is energy consumption wise, but even then, is it that important?  They could make them more stronger from EMP effects, but the major issue is not the processor itself but the transistors.  Smaller they are, the harder it is to shield them apparently.  Radar's are actually not becoming more advanced.  These AESA radar's are very similar design and development since the 80's.  When my father installed AESA radar in the Dew Lines to replace the PESA, he stated it was a nightmare (and not needed as the PESA was far more accurate in its readings due to how the energy is used) and the AESA was not ready technically.  So really, it is just improvements in various areas since then, but still the same technology.  Korea is using more powerful processors to power multitude of devices while the west and Russia's aim is multiple processors for multiple applications.  This may change though and US may go that route, cause it could reduce costs and logistics.  But could also increase issues in other areas.

It is all a give and take really.  You could actually have all new processors for these devices, but it comes down to need vs want.  It is like in the civil market.  The average person won't even use the full power of a core i3, let alone a Core i7.  Heck, most programs cannot take advantage of the multicores, let alone the architecture itself.  But people still purchase it anyway.  The military on the other hand are far more interested in the use of the device more so than the want.  But there are cases where there is total bastardization of programs (F-35 is newest example), so who knows.
    I'd bet you a hundred bucks that has everything to do with production and nothing to do with the chip itself... Production is tens of times larger than what it used to be.

You said it yourself, humans limit their effectiveness.... Thing is, as jets become more and moreover advanced, human pilots become more and more irrelevant. In a matter of decades, all militarized fighter aircraft with be a drone anyway...

The jets themselves are already capable of maneuvering by themselves (PAK-FA), and in that case they will need (and use) all the time they can get. Those milliseconds may not seem like a long time to a person, but they are a lifetime to a computer.

Radar systems have been getting more advanced, but more importantly, they are getting more complicated. Like I said, a 90's processing unit that runs on a 180 nm lithography (and is outdated in general) isn't going to be able to process the information from thousands of emitters and receivers consistently, never mind quickly. 

Shielding them has never been a problem, even on the newest and most advanced systems to date. I doubt a lithography shrink is going to significantly limit the processors shielding. 

Like I said... I don't support a single processing unit, but rather the more common multiple units for each system method... Upgrading the computational performance of those independent processors shouldn't be much of a hurdle, as mentioned before.

Today may not need a super powerful chip, but tomorrow's systems will.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:49 am

Mike E wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:
    Mike E wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Meh, if the processor works, stick with it.  The other aspect is that the Intel processor, much like the Elbrus one, has been tested for extreme conditions of electromagetnic pulses to prevent major damages to it (either that or go back to vaccum tubes for everything) and has been in production for a lot longer (MCST one is actually quite new), thus making it a lot cheaper than another one that could be faster, but provides no added benefit.  Same processor is being used for F-35 as well.

It goes back to the old question: Would one computer to power all on an aircraft be better/cheaper than multiple computers for various gadgets in an aircraft?  In this case, I would the latter be better since if the computer fails, it wont take everything with it.  For radar translations are done so fast, milliseconds, that a new processor, regardless of it being faster, won't add any benefit at all.  Only thing it could add is that the processor would be more powerful enough to run multiple tasks at once compared to the old one.  But if it fails (which actually, smaller transistor processors have higher failure rates compared to the older 180nm tech), it would take a lot with it.

I asked my father this same question a few years ago, since he worked for Sperry and IBM (when working on processors and other IC for military and civil tech) and his statement is that even though the new may be faster, it is in a lot of cases more prone to failures as well as provides little to no need of tech.  Hence why they went with a lot of slower, older MIPS and RISC processors over the more advanced CISC processors at the time.

Funny thing he told me, is that in the military, they have a huge backup of analog systems, old coil wrappings for memory, vacuum tubes and what not, for "just in case".
    It cannot be that hard to build a replacement... Like I said, it doesn't have to be a "miracle processor". All it has to do, is improve the architecture etc and keep the optimized DSP design. An improved model could handle the same conditions, and EMP-resistance isn't a major challenge. My question to you, is why compromise? - I swore the F-35 used a newer chip, after all ,they wanted to upgrade the F-22's chip....

I agree with that... There should be multiple processing units and not just one, I never suggested otherwise... The ability to process information quicker, and multitask better (like you said), is very much an upgrade. More so when the radar systems themselves are getting more and more complicated. AESA radars always have hundreds of independent emitters/receivers, what is going to happen when they have thousands if not tens or even hundreds of thousands? That much information could overwhelm an older chip like that, especially if trying to resist jamming etc (switching bands etc). 

I should ask my father a similar question... He worked in both the hardware and software divisions of defense contractors for many years, and thankfully he continues to retain that knowledge. The chance of failure isn't much higher, if not lower... The advanced nature has less to do with reliability than production facilities and stable software and architectures etc. A die shrink + whatever else they'd do wouldn't destroy the chip....

For good reason....

That said, you need to find a reason to upgrade it.  In the end, if it runs better, but the difference is 20ms vs 1ms, then it is still beyond human comprehension to notice the difference.  Like the lag between sunlight to the human eye.  Only area where it may be beneficial is energy consumption wise, but even then, is it that important?  They could make them more stronger from EMP effects, but the major issue is not the processor itself but the transistors.  Smaller they are, the harder it is to shield them apparently.  Radar's are actually not becoming more advanced.  These AESA radar's are very similar design and development since the 80's.  When my father installed AESA radar in the Dew Lines to replace the PESA, he stated it was a nightmare (and not needed as the PESA was far more accurate in its readings due to how the energy is used) and the AESA was not ready technically.  So really, it is just improvements in various areas since then, but still the same technology.  Korea is using more powerful processors to power multitude of devices while the west and Russia's aim is multiple processors for multiple applications.  This may change though and US may go that route, cause it could reduce costs and logistics.  But could also increase issues in other areas.

It is all a give and take really.  You could actually have all new processors for these devices, but it comes down to need vs want.  It is like in the civil market.  The average person won't even use the full power of a core i3, let alone a Core i7.  Heck, most programs cannot take advantage of the multicores, let alone the architecture itself.  But people still purchase it anyway.  The military on the other hand are far more interested in the use of the device more so than the want.  But there are cases where there is total bastardization of programs (F-35 is newest example), so who knows.
    I'd bet you a hundred bucks that has everything to do with production and nothing to do with the chip itself... Production is tens of times larger than what it used to be.

You said it yourself, humans limit their effectiveness.... Thing is, as jets become more and moreover advanced, human pilots become more and more irrelevant. In a matter of decades, all militarized fighter aircraft with be a drone anyway...

The jets themselves are already capable of maneuvering by themselves (PAK-FA), and in that case they will need (and use) all the time they can get. Those milliseconds may not seem like a long time to a person, but they are a lifetime to a computer.

Radar systems have been getting more advanced, but more importantly, they are getting more complicated. Like I said, a 90's processing unit that runs on a 180 nm lithography (and is outdated in general) isn't going to be able to process the information from thousands of emitters and receivers consistently, never mind quickly. 

Shielding them has never been a problem, even on the newest and most advanced systems to date. I doubt a lithography shrink is going to significantly limit the processors shielding. 

Like I said... I don't support a single processing unit, but rather the more common multiple units for each system method... Upgrading the computational performance of those independent processors shouldn't be much of a hurdle, as mentioned before.

Nope.  Like I said, the difference is negligent.  You can argue with me all you want, but civil tech is nothing like military tech and there is a reason they go the routes they are.  There is a reason why they kept it and other countries order it.  And it is a combination of design and production that is causing the issues of the failure rates.

Have you seen the capabilities of drones?  And yes, they use much more advanced processors than what is used on an F-22.  They are garbage.  Response time is a response time regardless.  Latency, lag what not.

I can guarantee you that a DSP core at 180nm will outdo an Intel core i7 at 28nm in translating raw media data.  As well, the processor isn't just a DSP, but it is a multicore system with DSP.  The main core is used for running the programs, which is pretty much the display.  The rest is done through the DSP's.  I can tell you, you do not need a Core i7 to run a display.

But, I get what you are saying mike, and maybe if they create similar DSP with just more transistors, then it could be much better. I agree, it will be better than the previous one in raw power. But it all breaks down to needs vs wants. Is the difference negligent? I would say it is. Hence why they keep using it. But I am not saying you are wrong, I just think that latest and greatest isn't necessarily needed/better.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:28 am

sepheronx wrote:
    Mike E wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:
    Mike E wrote:

For good reason....

Nope.  Like I said, the difference is negligent.  You can argue with me all you want, but civil tech is nothing like military tech and there is a reason they go the routes they are.  There is a reason why they kept it and other countries order it.  And it is a combination of design and production that is causing the issues of the failure rates.

Have you seen the capabilities of drones?  And yes, they use much more advanced processors than what is used on an F-22.  They are garbage.  Response time is a response time regardless.  Latency, lag what not.

I can guarantee you that a DSP core at 180nm will outdo an Intel core i7 at 28nm in translating raw media data.  As well, the processor isn't just a DSP, but it is a multicore system with DSP.  The main core is used for running the programs, which is pretty much the display.  The rest is done through the DSP's.  I can tell you, you do not need a Core i7 to run a display.

But, I get what you are saying mike, and maybe if they create similar DSP with just more transistors, then it could be much better.  I agree, it will be better than the previous one in raw power.  But it all breaks down to needs vs wants.  Is the difference negligent?  I would say it is.  Hence why they keep using it.  But I am not saying you are wrong, I just think that latest and greatest isn't necessarily needed/better.

I'm not saying that they should use a civil processor, I already told you that... 

Yes, but they will get better in the future. My point was that computers use all the time that they can get.

Once again, I suggested that they use and upgraded DSP unit and not a civil one. DSP cores are purpose built, hence their capabilities. 

I'n not saying they should just add more transistors... An architecture change, plus a die and lithography shrink and it would be fine. I would say it isn't... Either way, the older ship will need to be replaced in the future, why not do it now?
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:36 am

Mike E wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:
    Mike E wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:
    Mike E wrote:

For good reason....

But, I get what you are saying mike, and maybe if they create similar DSP with just more transistors, then it could be much better.  I agree, it will be better than the previous one in raw power.  But it all breaks down to needs vs wants.  Is the difference negligent?  I would say it is.  Hence why they keep using it.  But I am not saying you are wrong, I just think that latest and greatest isn't necessarily needed/better.

I'm not saying that they should use a civil processor, I already told you that... 

Yes, but they will get better in the future. My point was that computers use all the time that they can get.

Once again, I suggested that they use and upgraded DSP unit and not a civil one. DSP cores are purpose built, hence their capabilities. 

I'n not saying they should just add more transistors... An architecture change, plus a die and lithography shrink and it would be fine. I would say it isn't... Either way, the older ship will need to be replaced in the future, why not do it now?

Only because cost may outweigh the need.  They could do it, but no need for it.  That is all.  They could do it now for future reasons, but really, they could effectively use a basic ARM processor and have a bunch of semi modern DSP's attached to it, and it would effectively be the same.  Performance wise may be completely different, but the difference may not be needed.  That is what I am saying.  Hence why they used the same one for over a decade. Sorry, make that two decades.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:00 am

You have a point, and I'm not denying that. I'm just the kind of guy who always wants the most advanced thing....

Off Topic
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:13 am

You have a point, and I'm not denying that. I'm just the kind of guy who always wants the most advanced thing....

Sometimes being conservative in the military is for very good reasons.

Many systems in military aircraft and ships use rather old technology like the 486 or older processor chips. they are simpler and more reliable now, and they have to operate in very harsh environments that include dusty of freezing or areas with very high vibration etc.

there will also be lots of electronic interference nearby from powerful radars and APUs and other systems that generate magnetic fields and Em noise and vibration or heat.

A personal calculator would not benefit from going from a 286 processor to an I7 Intel chip, because its job really doesn't require that sort of performance.

The 486 was a watershed chip series in the sense that before it was available most electronics were custom made... with the 486 the processing speed meant upgrades could be software based instead of hardware upgrades. this resulted in much cheaper systems that weren't literally hand made and coded specificially. Previously the MiG-23 for example would have the "23" system, which included air to air missiles (R-23) adn air to ground missiles (Kh-23) and the radar Saphir-23.... etc etc.

The newer systems (and older basic weapons) were multi platform... ie older = R-3 and R-13, while newer included R-27, R-73, and R-60. The R-33 has been designed specifically for the MiG-31, but the new R-37 will be used on all new Russian fighters/interceptors.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:02 am

The only reason that one could conceive for using a CPU in a piece of military equipment is that it makes the programmer's job
    easier. It is also much cheaper than custom silicon. But there is no actual need for the complexity or flexibility of a general
    purpose microprocessor. We are not running AI systems just yet.

The knee jerk negativity that is spewed at Russia by couch experts such as "they are still using vacuum tubes" just shows their
    ignorance. One thing that the USSR and Russia were and are good at is squeezing program performance out of limited hardware.
    (This is also why I have deep suspicions about the high failure rate of Briz-M and other programming screwups such as Phobos-Grunt).
    Custom code on custom hardware or some simple circuitry is more than good enough if it performs the intended task. You are
    not going to use your super expensive jet fighter as a freaking laptop.
    2SPOOKY4U
    2SPOOKY4U

Post  2SPOOKY4U Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:55 am

kvs wrote:The only reason that one could conceive for using a CPU in a piece of military equipment is that it makes the programmer's job
    easier.  It is also much cheaper than custom silicon.   But there is no actual need for the complexity or flexibility of a general
    purpose microprocessor.   We are not running AI systems just yet.

The knee jerk negativity that is spewed at Russia by couch experts such as "they are still using vacuum tubes" just shows their
    ignorance.  One thing that the USSR and Russia were and are good at is squeezing program performance out of limited hardware.
    (This is also why I have deep suspicions about the high failure rate of Briz-M and other programming screwups such as Phobos-Grunt).
    Custom code on custom hardware or some simple circuitry is more than good enough if it performs the intended task.  You are
    not going to use your super expensive jet fighter as a freaking laptop.

Who knows? It might be nice to surf the internet(you know, you can get a pretty fast connection with radar beams from AESAs.), update facebook, play Galaga on those long flights, etc
    *sarcasm off*

We should not forget about the PAK-FAs "electronic pilot" If it lives up to the way it sounds, it could allow for plenty of different uses. It might predict locations of enemy fighters using last known position, passive sensors like RWR/EWS, etc It might predict likely locations for SAMs to be place at to avoid silent missile launchers/radars operating with datalinks from AWACS, and other nasty things. Having a good processor is important for functions like those and present them to the pilot quickly, we might even see voice control, that would very much require a good processor, or at least a dedicated DSP.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:42 am

The amount of data a modern fighters systems collects every second is enormous including video from the IR systems, that needs onboard real time processing to clean it up and highlight important data immediately.

Collection, processing, transmission of data requires serious processing power.
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:58 pm

NAVAL VERSION OF PAK-FA MAY SOON BECOME A REALITY

The Navy plans to use Russian on future new Russian aircraft carrier deck version of the Russian fifth generation fighter T-50 (PAK FA project), said October 25, 2014 on the radio station "Echo of Moscow", Deputy Chief of the Russian Navy for Armament, Rear Admiral Victor Bursuc. "The development of the fleet provided shipbuilding program. It - Decked Su and MiG. planned and further development of the T-50 (in the embodiment, the deck)," - said Rear Adm. According to V. Bursuc, the Navy will receive the new aircraft carrier after 2030 year.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/1037048.html
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:54 pm

GarryB wrote:The amount of data a modern fighters systems collects every second is enormous including video from the IR systems, that needs onboard real time processing to clean it up and highlight important data immediately.

Collection, processing, transmission of data requires serious processing power.

It requires DSPs and not general purpose microprocessors. You can emulate the function of DSPs using software compiled to run on general purpose
    CPUs but you lose performance. Russia is quite adept at designing and building DSPs. There is even an Elbrus variant with two DSP cores in the same
    package.

Anyway, criticism of Russian technology is for the most part a crock of butthurt. Russian IC manufacturing and design capability is more than sufficient
    for modern weapons systems. When the Elbrus is fabbed on a Russian 65 micron production line in the immediate future, it will have eight cores and will
    become quite useful for HPC.
    Austin

Post  Austin Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:15 am

via keypub

PAK-FA 117 Engine :  3 LPC, 7 HPC, 1 HPT and 1 LPT

PAK-FA, T-50: News #2 - Page 34 11710

AL-31F (and derivatives) are 4 -stage LPC & 9 -stage HPC
    2SPOOKY4U
    2SPOOKY4U

Post  2SPOOKY4U Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:36 am

Sujoy wrote:NAVAL VERSION OF PAK-FA MAY SOON BECOME A REALITY

The Navy plans to use Russian on future new Russian aircraft carrier deck version of the Russian fifth generation fighter T-50 (PAK FA project), said October 25, 2014 on the radio station "Echo of Moscow", Deputy Chief of the Russian Navy for Armament, Rear Admiral Victor Bursuc. "The development of the fleet provided shipbuilding program. It - Decked Su and MiG. planned and further development of the T-50 (in the embodiment, the deck)," - said Rear Adm. According to V. Bursuc, the Navy will receive the new aircraft carrier after 2030 year.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/1037048.html

Certainly is nice, if/when this comes to pass, the balance of power will take a big change in favor of the Russian Federation. However, is there any information on the limit of the folding joint? How will this affect the stellar maneuverability? Could we see any other changes in sensors/range/weapon?
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:08 pm

2SPOOKY4U wrote:However, is there any information on the limit of the folding joint? How will this affect the stellar maneuverability?

No ! These are early days.

Generally, the flight control system automatically limits  the aircraft to 7.5G – 8G so as not to over-stress the folding joints on the wings specifically and the airframe in general,then vary automatically as a function of weight and stores configuration. That being said,pressing the slab on the front of the control column allows the pilot to override the G limiter. IIRC,the Su-33 can pull upto 8g in nominal payload configuration  (up to 4500-5000 kg of payload at sea level).

If I can hazard a guess I will say  that the naval version will have larger wing and tail control surfaces to enable low-speed approaches to aircraft carriers. The larger wing area will also provide the Naval version with an increased payload capability. In addition, the landing gear should have longer stroke and higher load capacity.

2SPOOKY4U wrote:Could we see any other changes in sensors/range/weapon?

The Russian Navy is yet to identify the various threats that it intends to overcome by using a Naval PAK-FA.

Once these threats are identified, only then will the sensor and weapon package be decided upon.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:53 pm

Kh-58USHK has finished state testing including with PAK-FA

PAK FA will receive a new missile to combat radar
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:08 am

Deserves a picture:

PAK-FA, T-50: News #2 - Page 34 5810
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:19 am

Viktor wrote:Kh-58USHK has finished state testing including with PAK-FA

PAK FA will receive a new missile to combat radar

Wow so they're already have live firing with it. Cool would love to see a vid.
    2SPOOKY4U
    2SPOOKY4U

Post  2SPOOKY4U Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:34 am

Article states that the missile is twice shorter, is it really or did the journalists mess up and its twice thinner thanks to the folding fins?
    Also question, I have seen the video where the F-35 EODAS tracks a ballistic missile launch from 800 miles away. How impressive is this and could the Pak-Fa replicate the "supposed" feat and track the thing with EO and Radar systems as the F-35 did? Thanks, I have been trying to find some information on Soviet/Russian IRST performance.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:57 am

2SPOOKY4U wrote:Article states that the missile is twice shorter, is it really or did the journalists mess up and its twice thinner thanks to the folding fins?
    Also question, I have seen the video where the F-35 EODAS tracks a ballistic missile launch from 800 miles away. How impressive is this and could the Pak-Fa replicate the "supposed" feat and track the thing with EO and Radar systems as the F-35 did? Thanks, I have been trying to find some information on Soviet/Russian IRST performance.

It is about as impressive as early IR AAMs locking on to the sun.

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:09 am

And almost as useful... Shocked

Seeing an enormous heat source from great distances means little... especially when you can actually do little about it...

I have not read anything to suggest that the US is vastly ahead of Russia in terms of IRST... Russia certainly has them more widely deployed with the MiG-29 and Su-27 families and derivatives all equipped with integral IRSTs as well as the MiG-31 models too.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:00 pm

GarryB wrote:

And almost as useful...  Shocked

Seeing an enormous heat source from great distances means little... especially when you can actually do little about it...

I have not read anything to suggest that the US is vastly ahead of Russia in terms of IRST... Russia certainly has them more widely deployed with the MiG-29 and Su-27 families and derivatives all equipped with integral IRSTs as well as the MiG-31 models too.
    AFAIK, all IRST systems in use as of right now are just about equivalent. Supposedly there isn't much that can be done to upgrade them.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:34 am

There are three transparency windows in the atmosphere where IR energy isn't absorbed and therefore can be used for detection over long ranges. They are called short, medium, and long wave IR and each has their advantages and disadvantages.

Equally as the technology improves and sensors get more sensitive performance increases too.

Not all IRSTs are the same.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:34 am

GarryB wrote:There are three transparency windows in the atmosphere where IR energy isn't absorbed and therefore can be used for detection over long ranges. They are called short, medium, and long wave IR and each has their advantages and disadvantages.

Equally as the technology improves and sensors get more sensitive performance increases too.

Not all IRSTs are the same.
    Obviously there are different types... But that wasn't my point... I meant that the technology within them is very similar, and doesn't differ significantly from system to system.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:52 am

Mike E wrote:... I meant that the technology within them is very similar, and doesn't differ significantly from system to system.

Of Course, that's not true. For example, the Russians have been using plasmonster based multispectral detection and amplification systems for eons, while they would probably never ever give the plasmonster based technology to even china, US or Israel, let alone others, at least not until the end of the current "world war".
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:04 am

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:

Of Course, that's not true. For example, the Russians have been using plasmonster based multispectral detection and amplification systems for eons, while they would probably never ever give the plasmonster based technology to even china, US or Israel, let alone others, at least not until the end of the current "world war".

That is sure an interesting term.

As far as i know current imaging technology is either bandgap detector based or latest one the QWIP. Would love to hear some more of it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:33 pm