Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+96
caveat emptor
diabetus
andalusia
walle83
Shaun901901
Broski
x_54_u43
TMA1
mnztr
ALAMO
Mir
Russian_Patriot_
mavaff
The_Observer
lancelot
lyle6
ahmedfire
limb
Big_Gazza
marcellogo
Mindstorm
kvs
calripson
Hole
PhSt
AJ-47
bolshevik345
Walther von Oldenburg
The-thing-next-door
miketheterrible
dino00
JohninMK
LMFS
General
KomissarBojanchev
Peŕrier
kopyo-21
wilhelm
Interlinked
BM-21
Book.
Cheetah
0nillie0
SeigSoloyvov
franco
Isos
MMBR
KiloGolf
Benya
airstrike
galicije83
VladimirSahin
DerWolf
nemrod
d_taddei2
PapaDragon
hoom
higurashihougi
KoTeMoRe
sepheronx
Mike E
Kimppis
cracker
Kyo
akd
runaway
Morpheus Eberhardt
zino
Pugnax
xeno
Vann7
Werewolf
magnumcromagnon
Asf
Zivo
collegeboy16
George1
volna
zg18
flamming_python
TR1
Regular
a89
Vympel
AlfaT8
Stealthflanker
Dima
TheArmenian
medo
Cyberspec
BTRfan
Viktor
IronsightSniper
Austin
GarryB
Admin
100 posters

T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

George1
    George1

T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 11 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

Post  George1 Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:33 am

Motorized Infantry Brigade in Russia’s Kemerovo Region Gets 15 T-72B3 Tanks

A motorized infantry brigade in Russia's Kemerovo Region received 15 modernized T-72B3 tanks.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – A motorized infantry brigade in Russia's Kemerovo Region has received 15 modernized T-72B3 tanks, official representative of the Central Military District Col. Yaroslav Roschupkin announced.

The T-72B3 tank is a modernized version of T-72. It has an improved fire control system and new-generation communications equipment.

According to Roschupkin, the delivery was carried out in line with Russia's state defense order.

In September, speaking at a meeting on Russia's arms procurement program for 2016-2025, Russian President Vladimir Putin stressed the need for the development of purely defensive high-precision weaponry in the country.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20150316/1019539681.html#ixzz3UZSSiquj
    TR1
    TR1

T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 11 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

Post  TR1 Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:42 am

TR1 wrote:One estimate for T-72B3 numbers from Otvaga: 684 tanks since 2012.

Double checked, apparently not an inflated number, through 2014 that is.
    cracker

Post  cracker Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:09 am

George1 wrote:Motorized Infantry Brigade in Russia’s Kemerovo Region Gets 15 T-72B3 Tanks

A motorized infantry brigade in Russia's Kemerovo Region received 15 modernized T-72B3 tanks.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – A motorized infantry brigade in Russia's Kemerovo Region has received 15 modernized T-72B3 tanks, official representative of the Central Military District Col. Yaroslav Roschupkin announced.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20150316/1019539681.html#ixzz3UZSSiquj

Kemerovo? Very Happy I've been here, i'll try to pay a visit to the military base next time then....

Rather far from anything (ie far from any hot spot), but this brigade could be used in the closeby khazakstan or other friendly country if they have internal problems. Or if any of those country wants to invade russia by altai mountains somehow... who knows what kind of madness might happen.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:24 pm

Motorized Infantry Brigade, stationed in Urga was the first compound of the Central Military District, fully rearmament deeply with modernized tanks T-72B3.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:58 pm

Werewolf wrote:
    KomissarBojanchev wrote:TR1 is just a nationally self hating euroatlanticist neoliberal who can't accept post yeltsin russia does something right, but still has a speck of decency not to be openly calling for russian submission to the western empires.

Because if he openly would say that in russia, he would already have lost a few teeth for such garbage, especially as a non russian like the majority of 5th columnists.

Guys,

There is a new thread at https://www.russiadefence.net/t3916-forum-non-technical-issues to discuss these topics.
    Kimppis
    Kimppis

Post  Kimppis Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:13 am

TR1 wrote:I have openly said EVERYTHING I say here, in Russia. Believe it or not not all Russians are patriotic retards like you non-Russian foreigners.

I'm not a patriotic retard. Smile

flamming_python wrote:I really don't want to get myself involved in all the epic dick-swinging contests on this site between TR1 and everyone else - but in TR1s defense; critisizing the Russian government and leaders does not neccesserily equate to cheering on the US's government either, and its adventures around the world.
    It's you guys who are constantly making this connection here, based on what I don't know - but it reflects worse on you than on anyone else when you accuse anyone who has words of critisism for the Russian government - of being some US apologist or whatever.

Couldn't have said it better myself. TR1 seems to really hate the Russian government and certain social issues in the country. However, it's pretty clear to me that he doesn't hate Russia, Russians, Russian technology or Russian military equipment. And his expertise is undeniable, IMO.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:10 am

More T-72B3 thumbsup

Western military district moves to modernized tanks
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:19 pm

Buryat armored units until the end of the week will receive 15 T-72B3
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:45 am

Teachings tankers ZVO started in Leningrad region
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:22 pm

hmm anyway i would love to see Russia offer Burlak turret as upgrade option for T-72.
    volna

Post  volna Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:31 pm

Stealthflanker wrote:hmm anyway i would love to see Russia offer Burlak turret as upgrade option for T-72.
    Same to me!
    I thought Burlak turret is a good soultion to fitted with 2A-82 gun.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:09 am

I like the Burlak upgrade too... the idea that it carried about 53 rounds ready to fire, including a rear turret bustle for long penetrators that could be straight rammed into the breach, while the more volatile HE and HEAT rounds could be stored in the underfloor autoloader... sure the turret bustle autoloader is exposed to enemy fire, but the ability to safely eject it would mean it is like an external fuel tank that can be ditched if needed.

Enemies that don't get close enough to target it can be engaged with more ammo faster... and having it made like a separate magazine that can be crane loaded it should be much faster to load up ammo and much safer...plus the xtra weight on the rear of the turret should better offset the weight of the gun and turret front armour, which should allow more balance to the gun stabilisation system and turret rotation systems.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:56 pm

There is some big news that managed to get skipped over somehow;

Andrei Terlikov, engineer at UVG and supposedly the chief designer of Armata... Has stated that an updated version of the T-72B3 will be produced in the near future. This further upgrade (most likely including the engine & sight from B3M) will crucially be focused on armor. What comes to mind is Relikt, as it is easy to install (as Algeria demonstrated on a T-72M1) and has already been developed etc. Outside of this, the armor upgrade could just be a re-arrangement of K-5, which has the well known turret-spot around the gun due to no coverage. The rest of the T-72B3 upgrade-of-an-upgrade-of-an-upgrade will be direct at the FCS, seemingly... Terlikov stated it will be a 'fully-automatic' system that 'is capable of warning the threat vehicles' and 'provides a panoramic view around the tank'. IMO, due to problems with translation, this means; it will have a 360-degree Independent Commanders Sight (per the B3M specification, possibly an upgrade version of that model or...this is a long shot; Hawkeye) along with fully-electronic FCS systems (possibly including elements from Kalina, or by simply replacing all analogue equipment), and Relikt for extra protection. 

Such an upgrade for multiple-hundreds of tanks would be amazing, if possibly a bit far-fetched. 

Still, Relikt itself would be a MASSIVE upgrade allowing the T-72B platform to resist all current NATO ammunition, and the upgraded FCS would help further what the B3 started. Assuming this upgrade includes the 1130 HP engine, it will be probably the last upgrade of the T-72 platform in wide-usage along with being very competitive (if not superior) to the T-90A. - I'm calling this upgrade the T-72B3MM for reasons...and science...

A few hundred of these, a thousand + T-72B3 & B3M's, along with the T-90B3 means the platforms will not be going to waste... It also allows Russia to further bridge the gap between T-72 & Armata & the rest of the competition.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:10 pm

Salyukov: T-72B3 upgraded and remain in the armed forces for at least 10 years
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:21 am

Another upgrade i'd like to see is new hull armor in the manner of Ob-187.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:23 am

Stealthflanker wrote:Another upgrade i'd like to see is new hull armor in the manner of Ob-187.  
    Too expensive, too much work etc...and with Armata looming, a Relikt upgrade would make much more sense.

That being said, an Ob.187 hull layout would be pretty cool.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:26 pm

This is much needed as I read somewhere that the mod were not particularly happy with the performance of T-72B3. So this upgrade will definitely give the T-72B3 the capabilities closest to the T-90AM without breaking the bank. And such a tank would really benefit the Russian army for years to come, even in reserves.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:40 pm

sepheronx wrote:This is much needed as I read somewhere that the mod were not particularly happy with the performance of T-72B3.  So this upgrade will definitely give the T-72B3 the capabilities closest to the T-90AM without breaking the bank.  And such a tank would really benefit the Russian army for years to come, even in reserves.
    In all honestly, I'm almost certain it is just a Relikt-equipped T-72B3M. The other upgrades are possibilities.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:41 am

sepheronx wrote:This is much needed as I read somewhere that the mod were not particularly happy with the performance of T-72B3.  So this upgrade will definitely give the T-72B3 the capabilities closest to the T-90AM without breaking the bank.  And such a tank would really benefit the Russian army for years to come, even in reserves.

You mean, they're not happy with how they performed in the Ukraine pwnd
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:53 am

flamming_python wrote:

You mean, they're not happy with how they performed in the Ukraine pwnd

Why weren't the MoD happy with the B3? The fact is that on the roughly 15 B3's seen until now, only 6 were disabled/destroyed, 2 captured (1 recaptured one destroyed). The other issue is the very shaky operational intelligence they got.

For instance Two T-72 were stuck on a minefield during Debal, there was nothing provided to the Militia to tow them out. Same for Sanzharovka assault. The tanks were simply told there was stronghold around there without proper intelligence. Result the tanks went in, blew up a couple of Ukrop tincans, then got stuck in a minefield and got hit by ATGM.

But suddenly same tank in August, was preying on Ukrop steel like it was manned by Mikhail Wittmanskis ...

The performance of the T72B3 might be bad in comparison with say the 96A/G that is aligned on TankBiathlon, but I see nothing wrong with in in Ukraine. Bar operationnal intelligence and use of the asset.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:14 pm

Isn't the T-72B3 winning against the Chinese tank in the Biathlon? Isn't China in third place?

Anyway, I just read they were not impressed. That was it. No explanation. But seeing as T-72's and T-90's are still going to be Russia's main tank for quite some time, I think it may be in their best interest to upgrade them to the best they can be for now.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:26 pm

sepheronx wrote:Isn't the T-72B3 winning against the Chinese tank in the Biathlon?  Isn't China in third place?

Anyway, I just read they were not impressed.  That was it.  No explanation.  But seeing as T-72's and T-90's are still going to be Russia's main tank for quite some time, I think it may be in their best interest to upgrade them to the best they can be for now.
    Russian team was 7 minutes ahead of the Chinese one, which used a Type-96A of some variation. It is funny, because the Type-96 was firing on the move no faster than the T-72B3. There goes the *Type has the better FCS, suspension, and stabilization* bull crap that was spewed last year.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:28 pm

Mike E wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Isn't the T-72B3 winning against the Chinese tank in the Biathlon?  Isn't China in third place?

Anyway, I just read they were not impressed.  That was it.  No explanation.  But seeing as T-72's and T-90's are still going to be Russia's main tank for quite some time, I think it may be in their best interest to upgrade them to the best they can be for now.
    Russian team was 7 minutes ahead of the Chinese one, which used a Type-96A of some variation. It is funny, because the Type-96 was firing on the move no faster than the T-72B3. There goes the *Type has the better FCS, suspension, and stabilization* bull crap that was spewed last year.

Wasn't the Type-96A also had removed armor platings as well to lighten it?
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:30 pm

China is in the third place indeed so I don't see what is wrong with the B3.

Post  Guest Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:33 pm

Russia won the tournament. All the other teams besides China are using T-72B3s so I think it is safe to assume that the Russian team won because of their training. China doesn't have a a rich history in tank warfare so they may have scored so high because of their tank. There are a lot of variables in this.

The T-72B3 was also chosen because it is a cheaper alternative to the more advanced T-72B2. I don't remember much about the T-72B2 and with the coming of the T-14 there has to be more advanced technology now that could be incorporated into a T-72B3 upgrade. Nevertheless, it is almost always best to pay a little more for to have something better done, even if the situation with military spending back then was a lot different than today.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:57 pm