Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


+90
x_54_u43
TMA1
mnztr
ALAMO
Mir
Russian_Patriot_
mavaff
The_Observer
lancelot
lyle6
ahmedfire
limb
Big_Gazza
marcellogo
Mindstorm
kvs
calripson
Hole
PhSt
AJ-47
bolshevik345
Walther von Oldenburg
The-thing-next-door
miketheterrible
dino00
JohninMK
LMFS
General
KomissarBojanchev
Peŕrier
kopyo-21
wilhelm
Interlinked
BM-21
Book.
Cheetah
0nillie0
SeigSoloyvov
franco
Isos
MMBR
KiloGolf
Benya
airstrike
galicije83
VladimirSahin
DerWolf
nemrod
d_taddei2
PapaDragon
hoom
higurashihougi
KoTeMoRe
sepheronx
Mike E
Kimppis
cracker
Kyo
akd
runaway
Morpheus Eberhardt
zino
Pugnax
xeno
Vann7
Werewolf
magnumcromagnon
Asf
Zivo
collegeboy16
George1
volna
zg18
flamming_python
TR1
Regular
a89
Vympel
AlfaT8
Stealthflanker
Dima
TheArmenian
medo
Cyberspec
BTRfan
Viktor
IronsightSniper
Austin
GarryB
Admin
94 posters

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    zg18
    zg18


    Posts : 891
    Points : 963
    Join date : 2013-09-26
    Location : Zagreb , Croatia

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  zg18 Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:06 pm

    30 T-72B3 transferred to Eastern MD

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 7g3episs01cg-1

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 90aq8d66ntrb-9

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 066tylrnf09q-25

    http://gurkhan.blogspot.com/2014/01/blog-post_254.html?m=1

    avatar
    volna


    Posts : 17
    Points : 17
    Join date : 2013-03-24

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  volna Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:44 am

    zg18 wrote:30 T-72B3 transferred to Eastern MD

    Nice photos,thanks!
    I've a question on T-72B3:
    Does it fitted with the new 2A46M-5 gun?
    TR1
    TR1


    Posts : 5536
    Points : 5542
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  TR1 Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:27 am

    volna wrote:
    zg18 wrote:30 T-72B3 transferred to Eastern MD

    Nice photos,thanks!
    I've a question on T-72B3:
    Does it fitted with the new 2A46M-5 gun?

    Yep!
    George1
    George1


    Posts : 17724
    Points : 18231
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  George1 Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:12 am

    are there going to be more modernized T-72s back in service with russian army??
    TR1
    TR1


    Posts : 5536
    Points : 5542
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  TR1 Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:35 pm

    Yes, this year we are waiting for T-72B4...basically B3 but with panoramic sight.
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16


    Posts : 1145
    Points : 1146
    Join date : 2012-10-05
    Age : 25
    Location : Roanapur

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  collegeboy16 Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:55 am

    more like a hunter-killer B3  Razz. would dramatically increase fighting efficiency- and since were living with the reality that he who sees first and shoots first most likely wins- increase killing proficiency too. Hell, this would make B3 better than M1A1.
    avatar
    Vann7


    Posts : 5409
    Points : 5513
    Join date : 2012-05-16

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  Vann7 Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:32 am

    Can anyone tell.. which tank is this one.. ?




    Apparently those are night exercises of Russian army in relation to Ukraine near their borders at the end of the video shows
    a Dark green tank with advanced ERA and at 1:14  you can see some kind of turret ,wondering if that part
    of the active protection system Arena...  anyone know?
    TR1
    TR1


    Posts : 5536
    Points : 5542
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty T-72 variants

    Post  TR1 Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:24 pm

    T-72B3, near Ukraine.

    https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3716/13389919684_b9c2f18fc8_o.jpg
    https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2858/13389696593_f336829789_o.jpg
    https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7244/13389568215_f9be8e561d_o.jpg
    TR1
    TR1


    Posts : 5536
    Points : 5542
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  TR1 Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:01 am

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5F-TJuKclg#t=37

    Russian T-72Bs arrive in Crimea, while T-64s are being sent back to Ukraine.

    The tanks look immaculate, I suspect these are some of the T-72s kapremont-ed and sent in replacement of retired T-80s.
    Would make sense given the wild numbers of supposedly modernized T-72B3s the media has been throwing around.
    avatar
    Vympel


    Posts : 108
    Points : 112
    Join date : 2013-01-30

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  Vympel Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:18 am

    TR1 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5F-TJuKclg#t=37

    Russian T-72Bs arrive in Crimea, while T-64s are being sent back to Ukraine.

    The tanks look immaculate, I suspect these are some of the T-72s kapremont-ed and sent in replacement of retired T-80s.
    Would make sense given the wild numbers of supposedly modernized T-72B3s the media has been throwing around.

    You've got a time-stamp in that link there. What's "kapremont-ed"?

    Its disappointing they're sending basic Kontakt-ERA T-72Bs there - without even Kontakt-V. I would've thought T-72B3s would be a priority for Crimea, minimum.

    EDIT: wait - is Ukraine actually allowing Russia to train in tanks? Or are these going to be shipped across the Kerch strait?
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16


    Posts : 1145
    Points : 1146
    Join date : 2012-10-05
    Age : 25
    Location : Roanapur

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  collegeboy16 Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:38 am

    russkies dont make it a habit to flaunt their best toys- they want to keep it as a surprise to their most capable enemies.
    Hell I wont be surprised if those Kontakt-5 cassettes actually have Relikt elements in them. hehehe
    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 33867
    Points : 34385
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  GarryB Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:42 am

    I would've thought T-72B3s would be a priority for Crimea, minimum.

    Such vehicles are only likely to face Ukrainian forces... what does the Ukraine have that would require a better tank?
    TR1
    TR1


    Posts : 5536
    Points : 5542
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty T-72 variants

    Post  TR1 Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:22 pm

    Vympel wrote:
    TR1 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5F-TJuKclg#t=37

    Russian T-72Bs arrive in Crimea, while T-64s are being sent back to Ukraine.

    The tanks look immaculate, I suspect these are some of the T-72s kapremont-ed and sent in replacement of retired T-80s.
    Would make sense given the wild numbers of supposedly modernized T-72B3s the media has been throwing around.

    You've got a time-stamp in that link there. What's "kapremont-ed"?

    Its disappointing they're sending basic Kontakt-ERA T-72Bs there - without even Kontakt-V. I would've thought T-72B3s would be a priority for Crimea, minimum.

    EDIT: wait - is Ukraine actually allowing Russia to train in tanks? Or are these going to be shipped across the Kerch strait?

    Kapitalnyi Remont- Capital Repairs- basically a major overhaul on a vehicle that has otherwise expired. By itself it might include no modernization or only small additions.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec


    Posts : 2907
    Points : 3062
    Join date : 2011-08-07
    Location : Terra Australis

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  Cyberspec Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:18 pm

    GarryB wrote:
    I would've thought T-72B3s would be a priority for Crimea, minimum.

    Such vehicles are only likely to face Ukrainian forces... what does the Ukraine have that would require a better tank?

    On some forums they believe these could be a training company to be followed by T-72B3's. Apparently they're expecting to have 200 tanks based in Crimea which seems excessive
    avatar
    Vympel


    Posts : 108
    Points : 112
    Join date : 2013-01-30

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  Vympel Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:01 am

    GarryB wrote:

    Such vehicles are only likely to face Ukrainian forces... what does the Ukraine have that would require a better tank?

    T-72B3s with the thermal imaging sight and all the assorted fire control improvements would give them a decisive advantage over T-64BVs in both day and night. As it is, a hypothetical fight between a T-72B and a T-64BV is virtually a dead heat, performance wise. I'd bet on the training of the Russian tankists over those of Ukraine, but why leave an element to chance?

    It looks like from other videos I've seen on T-72B3s on trains that they're focused on the Ukrainian border proper.


    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 33867
    Points : 34385
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  GarryB Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:51 am

    Let me put it this way... at the moment Ukraine has just been surprise-"taken advantage of from behind" if you know what I mean.

    If you start picking and choosing where your furniture is going they might get a little upset and do something really stupid.

    Equally things aren't 100% set in concrete... the Ukraine could go all Georgian on Russia, which means having upgraded T-72s to move into the Ukraine and deal with the idiots would be easier from Russian territory than from Crimean territory.

    Eventually a large unit of upgraded T-72s will be needed because it is the Black Sea Fleet basing area so any naval landing forces will need to be based there.

    They wont have Mistrals but they will have other units there, so together with army forces, navy forces, and air force units there will be a lot of new equipment and weapons moving there over the next few years.
    avatar
    Vympel


    Posts : 108
    Points : 112
    Join date : 2013-01-30

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  Vympel Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:53 am

    TR1 wrote:

    Kapitalnyi Remont- Capital Repairs- basically a major overhaul on a vehicle that has otherwise expired. By itself it might include no modernization or only small additions.

    Ah good. Speaking of upgrades - is the T-72B3 created solely from T-72Bs equipped with Kontakts-5 ERA, or do they take any T-72B, and by the time they're done, its equipped with Kontakts-5?

    (because I know T-72BA tanks with the wind sensor etc could be created from both T-72B w/ Kontakts and T-72B w/ Kontakts-5, but they never upgraded the ERA from Kontakts to Kontakts-5 in that instance)
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16


    Posts : 1145
    Points : 1146
    Join date : 2012-10-05
    Age : 25
    Location : Roanapur

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  collegeboy16 Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:58 am

    Kontakt-5 is expected to be bare minimum- its been out for two decades ffs.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf


    Posts : 5549
    Points : 5746
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  Werewolf Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:57 am

    Vympel wrote:
    TR1 wrote:

    Kapitalnyi Remont- Capital Repairs- basically a major overhaul on a vehicle that has otherwise expired. By itself it might include no modernization or only small additions.

    Ah good. Speaking of upgrades - is the T-72B3 created solely from T-72Bs equipped with Kontakts-5 ERA, or do they take any T-72B, and by the time they're done, its equipped with Kontakts-5?

    (because I know T-72BA tanks with the wind sensor etc could be created from both T-72B w/ Kontakts and T-72B w/ Kontakts-5, but they never upgraded the ERA from Kontakts to Kontakts-5 in that instance)

    Kontakt isn't used since early 80s.

    Kontakt 5 is standard and Kaktus,Relikt are the new ERA's.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon


    Posts : 8159
    Points : 8304
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:55 pm

    Werewolf wrote:
    Vympel wrote:
    TR1 wrote:

    Kapitalnyi Remont- Capital Repairs- basically a major overhaul on a vehicle that has otherwise expired. By itself it might include no modernization or only small additions.

    Ah good. Speaking of upgrades - is the T-72B3 created solely from T-72Bs equipped with Kontakts-5 ERA, or do they take any T-72B, and by the time they're done, its equipped with Kontakts-5?

    (because I know T-72BA tanks with the wind sensor etc could be created from both T-72B w/ Kontakts and T-72B w/ Kontakts-5, but they never upgraded the ERA from Kontakts to Kontakts-5 in that instance)

    Kontakt isn't used since early 80s.

    Kontakt 5 is standard and Kaktus,Relikt are the new ERA's.

    Is there any news of new generation ERA for Armata platforms? Will Kurganets have ERA? Also whats the advantage of Relikt and Kaktus over Kontakt 5? I know Kontakt has a proven record; in a joint effort between Germany and America on a tank testing ground in West Germany, Kontakt has proven itself very effective at defeating NATO HEAT and APFSDS rounds of that generation, forcing NATO to redesign their rounds!
    Zivo
    Zivo


    Posts : 1488
    Points : 1514
    Join date : 2012-04-13
    Location : U.S.A.

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  Zivo Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:22 pm

    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:
    Vympel wrote:
    TR1 wrote:

    Kapitalnyi Remont- Capital Repairs- basically a major overhaul on a vehicle that has otherwise expired. By itself it might include no modernization or only small additions.

    Ah good. Speaking of upgrades - is the T-72B3 created solely from T-72Bs equipped with Kontakts-5 ERA, or do they take any T-72B, and by the time they're done, its equipped with Kontakts-5?

    (because I know T-72BA tanks with the wind sensor etc could be created from both T-72B w/ Kontakts and T-72B w/ Kontakts-5, but they never upgraded the ERA from Kontakts to Kontakts-5 in that instance)

    Kontakt isn't used since early 80s.

    Kontakt 5 is standard and Kaktus,Relikt are the new ERA's.

    Is there any news of new generation ERA for Armata platforms? Will Kurganets have ERA? Also whats the advantage of Relikt and Kaktus over Kontakt 5? I know Kontakt has a proven record; in a joint effort between Germany and America on a tank testing ground in West Germany, Kontakt has proven itself very effective at defeating NATO HEAT and APFSDS rounds of that generation, forcing NATO to redesign their rounds!

    Armata should use Relikt. IIRC Relikt has multiple layers of explosives and other material sandwiched together to form a large block. Kontakt 5 only has 3 layers, a steel plate on the back, the explosives, than a front steel plate. I believe "Kaktus" is the same thing as Relikt, but is just the name given to the layout of relikt when it's used as integral armor instead of add-on armor as we seen on Object 640.

    flamming_python
    flamming_python


    Posts : 6961
    Points : 7039
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  flamming_python Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:59 pm

    Zivo wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:
    Vympel wrote:
    TR1 wrote:

    Kapitalnyi Remont- Capital Repairs- basically a major overhaul on a vehicle that has otherwise expired. By itself it might include no modernization or only small additions.

    Ah good. Speaking of upgrades - is the T-72B3 created solely from T-72Bs equipped with Kontakts-5 ERA, or do they take any T-72B, and by the time they're done, its equipped with Kontakts-5?

    (because I know T-72BA tanks with the wind sensor etc could be created from both T-72B w/ Kontakts and T-72B w/ Kontakts-5, but they never upgraded the ERA from Kontakts to Kontakts-5 in that instance)

    Kontakt isn't used since early 80s.

    Kontakt 5 is standard and Kaktus,Relikt are the new ERA's.

    Is there any news of new generation ERA for Armata platforms? Will Kurganets have ERA? Also whats the advantage of Relikt and Kaktus over Kontakt 5? I know Kontakt has a proven record; in a joint effort between Germany and America on a tank testing ground in West Germany, Kontakt has proven itself very effective at defeating NATO HEAT and APFSDS rounds of that generation, forcing NATO to redesign their rounds!

    Armata should use Relikt. IIRC Relikt has multiple layers of explosives and other material sandwiched together to form a large block. Kontakt 5 only has 3 layers, a steel plate on the back, the explosives, than a front steel plate. I believe "Kaktus" is the same thing as Relikt, but is just the name given to the layout of relikt when it's used as integral armor instead of add-on armor as we seen on Object 640.


    Relikt's been around for a while - ain't there anything newer in the works?

    And Kaktus I think operates on a different principle than Relikt, I may be wrong though.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon


    Posts : 8159
    Points : 8304
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:03 pm

    flamming_python wrote:
    Zivo wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:
    Vympel wrote:
    TR1 wrote:

    Kapitalnyi Remont- Capital Repairs- basically a major overhaul on a vehicle that has otherwise expired. By itself it might include no modernization or only small additions.

    Ah good. Speaking of upgrades - is the T-72B3 created solely from T-72Bs equipped with Kontakts-5 ERA, or do they take any T-72B, and by the time they're done, its equipped with Kontakts-5?

    (because I know T-72BA tanks with the wind sensor etc could be created from both T-72B w/ Kontakts and T-72B w/ Kontakts-5, but they never upgraded the ERA from Kontakts to Kontakts-5 in that instance)

    Kontakt isn't used since early 80s.

    Kontakt 5 is standard and Kaktus,Relikt are the new ERA's.

    Is there any news of new generation ERA for Armata platforms? Will Kurganets have ERA? Also whats the advantage of Relikt and Kaktus over Kontakt 5? I know Kontakt has a proven record; in a joint effort between Germany and America on a tank testing ground in West Germany, Kontakt has proven itself very effective at defeating NATO HEAT and APFSDS rounds of that generation, forcing NATO to redesign their rounds!

    Armata should use Relikt. IIRC Relikt has multiple layers of explosives and other material sandwiched together to form a large block. Kontakt 5 only has 3 layers, a steel plate on the back, the explosives, than a front steel plate. I believe "Kaktus" is the same thing as Relikt, but is just the name given to the layout of relikt when it's used as integral armor instead of add-on armor as we seen on Object 640.


    Relikt's been around for a while - ain't there anything newer in the works?

    And Kaktus I think operates on a different principle than Relikt, I may be wrong though.

    Seems like those 2 existed at least a decade before the armata platforms were even discussed.
    avatar
    Vympel


    Posts : 108
    Points : 112
    Join date : 2013-01-30

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  Vympel Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:43 pm

    Werewolf wrote:

    Kontakt isn't used since early 80s.

    Kontakt 5 is standard and Kaktus,Relikt are the new ERA's.

    That doesn't actually answer my question though, sorry.

    To reiterate - does the T-72B3 upgrade derive solely from T-72B tanks already equipped with Kontakts-V, or do they also take T-72B tanks without Kontakts-V and equip them with it during the upgrade process? Because its clear the T-72B3 only has Kontakts-V, not Relikt.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf


    Posts : 5549
    Points : 5746
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  Werewolf Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:28 pm

    Vympel wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:

    Kontakt isn't used since early 80s.

    Kontakt 5 is standard and Kaktus,Relikt are the new ERA's.

    That doesn't actually answer my question though, sorry.

    To reiterate - does the T-72B3 upgrade derive solely from T-72B tanks already equipped with Kontakts-V, or do they also take T-72B tanks without Kontakts-V and equip them with it during the upgrade process? Because its clear the T-72B3 only has Kontakts-V, not Relikt.

    The russian tank designation actually tells if it has kontakt (ERA) or not, T-72B no ERA, T-72BV (V = Vzriv which means Explosion), even tho in the common soldiers and common people like us we do not use always this exact russian designation, for example there are no Mi-35M in russian military they are called Mi-24VM2 or Su-27SM2/3 (Su-35S).

    T-72B2 was already reported to have relikt, most probably not all but some.


    http://xn--80apaboi4ai.xn--p1ai/zashchita-btt/dz-relikt.html

    Комплекс принят на вооружение МО РФ в 2006 году. За разработку комплекса ряд специалистов НИИ Стали в числе прочих разработчиков награждены Премией Правительства РФ

    Nii Stali states Relikt was put into active service in 2006.

    http://www.niistali.ru/security/armor/relict?start=1

    It also says BMPT has relikt and T-72B2/3.

    So yes relikt is in service, but relikt fills this ERA slots of Number 1, the fit in ERA slots not the fully relikt upgrade.

    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 T90mseng13

    Sponsored content


    T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants - Page 6 Empty Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ modernisation and variants

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:51 pm