Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+80
Podlodka77
TMA1
onwiththewar
Urluber
Walther von Oldenburg
George1
0nillie0
SolidarityWithRussia
thegopnik
ATLASCUB
ludovicense
Azi
Ned86
gc3762
Kiko
d_taddei2
The-thing-next-door
mnrck
Odin of Ossetia
ArgentinaGuard
Scorpius
RTN
GunshipDemocracy
Broski
Fred333
LMFS
kvs
medo
OminousSpudd
Airbornewolf
Werewolf
mnztr
psg
nero
flamming_python
Sprut-B
MMBR
ult
lancelot
dionis
Erk
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
Sujoy
Stealthflanker
ahmedfire
nomadski
par far
PhSt
caveat emptor
SeigSoloyvov
Eugenio Argentina
andalusia
GarryB
Big_Gazza
crod
franco
JohninMK
Arrow
Regular
Ispan
diabetus
Dr.Snufflebug
Firebird
PapaDragon
limb
sepheronx
calripson
Belisarius
mr_hd
Arkanghelsk
lyle6
ucmvulcan
Hole
VARGR198
Serberus
ALAMO
Isos
owais.usmani
Hinex1988
Mir
84 posters

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15

d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15 - Page 18 Empty Re: Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15

Post  d_taddei2 Mon May 09, 2022 7:13 pm

Sujoy wrote:
    Isos wrote:They still have hundreds of artillery pieces that they are trained on which have the same caracteristics as the ones provided by nato.
    But Ukrainians have always used 152mm artillery shells whereas NATO standard is 155mm. NATO can't supply 152mm so they are supplying 155mm and to use the latter Ukraine also needs NATO artillery guns.

Bulgaria can produce 152mm artillery rounds the reason why NATO are providing 155mm ammo is because they are providing 155mm artillery guns because Ukraine has had a considerable amount of 152mm guns Destroyed. I am not sure Bulgaria has the facilities to build more 152mm guns and it makes more sense to provide what u have in stock than to build new, especially when it's likely that they will be Destroyed any way lol!

GarryB, Sujoy, MMBR, Broski and jon_deluxe like this post

Sujoy
    Sujoy

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15 - Page 18 Empty Re: Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15

Post  Sujoy Mon May 09, 2022 7:18 pm

Odin of Ossetia wrote:
    Sujoy wrote:This is physical assault. Poles should trying doing this to the U.S Ambassador. They will have 5 9mm slugs in their body before they can splatter the Ambassador.  

Bodyguards of the Russian ambassador seems to be exceptionally tolerant.

They are not Poles.

http://asaland.proboards.com/thread/460/land-zamosc-zamojszczyzna-1942-1944

http://michalw.narod.ru/index-Truth.html

Did you see the Ukrainian flags in vicinity?

You should learn some history before applying very misguided ethnic labels.

Ukrainian flags can be carried by licals as well. More importantly, Russia's foreign ministry itself has blamed Poland for this attack suggesting they supported Neo Nazi supporters to breach the Ambassador's security cordon.

GarryB and Big_Gazza like this post

Odin of Ossetia dislikes this post

Odin of Ossetia
    Odin of Ossetia

Post  Odin of Ossetia Mon May 09, 2022 7:23 pm

Sujoy wrote:
    Odin of Ossetia wrote:
    Sujoy wrote:This is physical assault. Poles should trying doing this to the U.S Ambassador. They will have 5 9mm slugs in their body before they can splatter the Ambassador.  

Bodyguards of the Russian ambassador seems to be exceptionally tolerant.

They are not Poles.

http://asaland.proboards.com/thread/460/land-zamosc-zamojszczyzna-1942-1944

http://michalw.narod.ru/index-Truth.html

Did you see the Ukrainian flags in vicinity?

You should learn some history before applying very misguided ethnic labels.

Ukrainian flags can be carried by licals as well. More importantly, Russia's foreign ministry itself has blamed Poland for this attack suggesting they supported Neo Nazi supporters to breach the Ambassador's security cordon.

You have no idea what you are even writing about:

https://www.thefirstnews.com/article/over-100000-slaughtered-with-axes-pitchforks-scythes-and-knives-the-wolyn-massacre-started-76-years-ago-today-and-lasted-for-two-years-6714

I think the Russian government blamed the Polish government for failing to protect its ambassador, but not for actually carrying out the attack.

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Mon May 09, 2022 7:44 pm

Sujoy wrote:

This act of stupidity was performed by some Ukro "journalist".
    People around are Ukros either.

sepheronx and Hole like this post

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Mon May 09, 2022 7:46 pm

Probably O/T but he doesn't look ill to me.

GarryB, Big_Gazza, VARGR198, Sprut-B, LMFS, Hole, Mir and Urluber like this post

ArgentinaGuard

Post  ArgentinaGuard Mon May 09, 2022 7:56 pm

Today I saw the video of Zielinski and the stupid things he said. What a disgusting aspect that Israeli has. The Ukrainians should be ashamed of having that idiot as the main image. It is a warning of their future (the western part that they have left) when the European Union sends them immigrants.

Big_Gazza likes this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Mon May 09, 2022 7:57 pm

https://thesaker.is/president-putin-of-russia-speech-on-red-square-victory-parade/
    in English

Big_Gazza, Sprut-B, LMFS, Urluber and Podlodka77 like this post

Dr.Snufflebug

Post  Dr.Snufflebug Mon May 09, 2022 8:02 pm

JohninMK wrote:Probably O/T but he doesn't look ill to me.

Western gossip about the guy has been dead wrong for more than a decade, so no surprises there. It's been cancer, alzheimers, parkinsons, dementia, various other illnesses... Assloads of headlines.

When VVP has taken a short break from public appearances, shit's gone rampant. Either it's illness or outright death, or an ongoing "palace coup" or whatever. It's been like that for 10+ years.

He's still rather young compared to the typical U.S. president too (eg ten years Bidens junior) and leads a way healthier lifestyle. When VVP inevitably gets that old and ailed, he's probably already retired from political life.

Contrary to popular (misinformed) opinion Russia isn't a messed up "dear leader" dictatorship like North Korea or whatever, nor is it an oligarchic gerontocracy like the U.S.

sepheronx, GarryB, flamming_python, Big_Gazza, Sprut-B, LMFS, Hole and like this post

ArgentinaGuard

Post  ArgentinaGuard Mon May 09, 2022 8:12 pm

Dr.Snufflebug wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:Probably O/T but he doesn't look ill to me.

Western gossip about the guy has been dead wrong for more than a decade, so no surprises there. It's been cancer, alzheimers, parkinsons, dementia, various other illnesses... Assloads of headlines.

When VVP has taken a short break from public appearances, shit's gone rampant. Either it's illness or outright death, or an ongoing "palace coup" or whatever. It's been like that for 10+ years.

He's still rather young compared to the typical U.S. president too (eg ten years Bidens junior) and leads a way healthier lifestyle. When VVP inevitably gets that old and ailed, he's probably already retired from political life.

Contrary to popular (misinformed) opinion Russia isn't a messed up "dear leader" dictatorship like North Korea or whatever, nor is it an oligarchic gerontocracy like the U.S.

Putin practices judo and martial arts. He is a cultured man. I am convinced, although it is not said, that he must be an initiate in traditionalism.
    Russia was very lucky that its history gave rise to this man, after the decline of Gorbachev and Yeltsin. But it is also because of the population's ability to former this type of man. (that's why it's important to protect women)

The West is lost.

GarryB, Firebird, d_taddei2, Big_Gazza, JohninMK, Sprut-B, Eugenio Argentina and like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon May 09, 2022 8:29 pm

Even Strelkov confirms the version of the Snake Island episode as having gone badly wrong for the Ukrs

According to the situation around Zmeiny Island. To me (based on the available data) it appears as follows:

After the enemy demonstrated his anti-ship defense means (anti-ship missile systems, unmanned strike and reconnaissance aircraft coordinated by NATO air and satellite reconnaissance), the issue of holding the island without further active offensive operations in the Odessa-Izmail region lost all meaning. With purely defensive actions, there was a threat of an early complete isolation of the garrison and its further liquidation along the lines of the previous - "Ukrainian" one. Moreover, the defense of the island in the immediate vicinity of the shores equipped with enemy anti-ship weapons inevitably entailed further high losses of the remaining naval and air forces of the Black Sea Fleet (for example, the frigate Admiral Makarov was attacked by a "bayraktar" without visible consequences). In this regard, a reasonable decision was made to evacuate the garrison, which did not pass without losses (an Mi-8 helicopter and two landing craft with a 61-ton displacement).

At the same time, apparently, the command of the Black Sea Fleet and the Russian troops managed to "catch" the enemy during his own attempt to occupy the island (important primarily from the point of view of propaganda). According to reports, the landing operation of the Armed Forces of Ukraine completely failed with heavy losses. According to various sources, in its course, the Armed Forces of Ukraine lost 1 SU-27 aircraft, from 1 to 3 Su-24 attack aircraft, from 1 to 3 Mi-8 transport and combat helicopters and 1 Mi-24 attack helicopter, from 2 to 4 bayraktars and several assault craft. During the hostilities, several air defense batteries of the Armed Forces of Ukraine were also hit by fire, one battery was completely destroyed, up to 8 Pechora air defense systems were broken and put out of action. The total losses of the enemy amounted to 78 people officially dead and several dozen more "missing." There is unverified evidence that a significant part of the dead and "missing" (ie, drowned) are accounted for by an as yet unidentified foreign PMC.

At present, Zmeiny Island, apparently, is not occupied by the garrison of any of the warring parties.

sepheronx, franco, Regular, Big_Gazza, Sprut-B and Broski like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon May 09, 2022 8:34 pm

ArgentinaGuard wrote:
    Putin practices judo and martial arts. He is a cultured man. I am convinced, although it is not said, that he must be an initiate in traditionalism.
    Russia was very lucky that its history gave rise to this man, after the decline of Gorbachev and Yeltsin. But it is also because of the population's ability to former this type of man. (that's why it's important to protect women)

The West is lost.

Putin's gonna to retire in 2024. That was always the plan

And one way or the other he wanted to correct his mistakes with the Ukraine before that time. Even if it was possible to delay the war, I guess it was calculated that it would only make the war harder when it did come

Problem is that Putin has made nothing but mistakes with the Ukraine ever since coming to power. He hasn't had one success there. Yes Yanukovich got back into power after Yuschenko, but even that turned out to be costly and what Russia invested into the Ukraine under him was lost too when he was deposed.

And now the war didn't turn out according to the most optimistic scenarios either. More mistakes

Anyway, there is still until 2024 to win the war and settle all outstanding questions.

RTN likes this post

d_taddei2, Big_Gazza, Broski and Podlodka77 dislike this post

Kiko
    Kiko

Post  Kiko Mon May 09, 2022 8:36 pm

"With such feelings of genuine patriotism, the militia of Minin and Pozharsky rose for the fatherland, went on the attack on the Borodino field, fought the enemy near Moscow and Leningrad, Kyiv and Minsk, Stalingrad and Kursk, Sevastopol and Kharkov, so now these days you are fighting for our people in the Donbass, for the security of our Motherland - Russia," VVP said in today's Victory Day speech.

So. It's not only the protection of its present day borders that he's speaking of, but of the Motherland comprising Kyiv, Minsk, Kharkov and Donbass. Very suggesting.

flamming_python, Big_Gazza, Ispan, Sprut-B, LMFS, Hole, Mir and like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon May 09, 2022 8:40 pm

Reportedly foreign operators of the M777 howitzers taken out in Odessa in more missile strikes

Taken out - and I don't mean dinner & dancing

https://t.me/intelslava/28397

GarryB, d_taddei2, Big_Gazza, MMBR and Mir like this post

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Mon May 09, 2022 8:57 pm

flamming_python wrote:Reportedly foreign operators of the M777 howitzers taken out in Odessa in more missile strikes

Taken out - and I don't mean dinner & dancing

https://t.me/intelslava/28397

There look to be two guns firing as there is a retort but not this gun.

Last edited by JohninMK on Mon May 09, 2022 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ispan
    Ispan

Post  Ispan Mon May 09, 2022 8:58 pm

Comrades! I know there is at least a couple Russian speakers here, so I need a little help

If you allow me a little off topic. On Victory Day some relatives of my wife unearthed and old picture of her great grandfather who served in the Great Patriotic War, after some internet searches this is what I found.

He was born in 1902 and seems to have conscripted into a 218 Army Reserve Rifle Regiment, in Nov 1941. No info about division but the combat path seems to have been to the 65th Army and the 33th Army, he served in the Western Front and the 2nd Byelorussian front, I don't know what's the sequence, but he survived through the war being wounded three times by bullets. But he never talked about the war as "there was nothing to tell". Family believed he was just one anonymous soldier like millions that served in the infantry and lived to tell the tale.

Much to our surprise we found he attained the rank of  Guards 1st Lieutenant (don't know what rifle division he served in and and got a couple awards, for the liberation of Warsaw and an order of the Red Star.

I thought he was an infantry platoon commander, unusual as he was so old  but we can't decipher a sentence from the award citation and now I think he might have been an artillery battery commander, from a self propelled SU-76 gun

In the archives there's this entry my wife can't decipher, it's some sort of abbreviation but nothing turned out

7 автомобильный огужтб 33 А ЗапФ

7 automobile (dettachment or something?) 33rd Army Western Front

here's the text of the award:

В боях с 22.06.1944 при прорыве вражеской обороны взвод старшего лейтенанта Чесанова смело выдвинулся на открытые огневые позиции и под сильным артминомётным огнём уничтожил: до 45 солдат и офицеров, 2 ДЗОТ, 2 станковых пулемёта, сделал 3 прохода в проволчные заграждения противника. При бое в глубине огнём и колесами сопровождал свою пехоту, отбил 2 контратаки противника, подбил 1 танк и уничтожил одно самоходное орудие противника.

improved machine translation

In the battles from 06/22/1944, when breaking through the enemy defense, the platoon of senior Lieutenant Chesanov boldly moved into open firing positions and destroyed under heavy artillery fire: up to 45 soldiers and officers, 2 bunkers, 2 machine guns, made 3 breaches into the enemy's defensive wire barriers. During the advance in depth, he accompanied his infantry with "fire and wheels" (I think it means fire and movement), repulsed 2 enemy counterattacks, knocked out 1 tank and destroyed one self-propelled enemy gun.

- So most likely he was a commander of an artillery battery, I think a self propelled gun, but could be even some sort of wheeled antitank or infantry support gun. I am leaning towards a SU-76 tracked self-propelled gun due to the mention of "breaching the enemy wire".

Nothing spectacular, nor overly heroical, but a good soldier that did his duty and went through 3 years of war wich in itself is a impressive feat.

GarryB, franco and JohninMK like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon May 09, 2022 9:00 pm

Zmeiny Island Update—Combined Sources—May 9, 2019

1—The battle for the Zmeiny Island and the losses of the Ukrainian forces there are being compared, sardonically, to the Battle of Midway. The Ukrainian army has lost 8 (eight) aircraft and 10 (ten) helicopters over the course of one day.

2—It is likely that most of the helicopters were struck while at an intermediate jump landing site, en route to Zmeiny, by four Onyx missiles launched by the Russian forces from Crimea. Unlike Kalibr, Onyx missiles are supersonic, with speed up to 3,000 km/hour. That is why they were used to attack the helicopters, so as not to allow them time to escape the strike.

3—As a result, the Ukrainian air force never made it to Zmeiny island today. After the attack using Onyx missiles on the Chervonoglinsky aerodrome, the Ukrainian Su aircraft turned around halfway to the island. From the intermediate jump landing site in Izmail, the Ukrainian air assets were flown to the north.

4—The Zmeiny island is once again under the control of the Russian forces. [GB: although, judging from a closer reading of the statement of the Russian Ministry of Defence, the defending unit of the Russian army may never have left the island in the first place.]

5—The significant losses of the Ukrainian army are reflected in Rybar's most recent report, for May 9, 2022, as based on the internal conservative estimate reports of the Ukrainian General Staff.

GarryB, d_taddei2, Big_Gazza and Sprut-B like this post

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Mon May 09, 2022 9:08 pm

All pigs are equal, its just that some pigs are more equal than others - Animal farm

GEROMAN -- 👀 -
    @GeromanAT
    ·
    5m
    "The administrations of Severodonetsk, Lysichansk, Verkhnekamenka, Soledar and even Artemovsk urgently left for Dnepropetrovsk, full evacuation on 05/09/2022"

GarryB, franco, d_taddei2, Big_Gazza, Sprut-B, LMFS, Hole and Broski like this post

Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Mon May 09, 2022 9:27 pm

Happy Victory Day everyone.

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15 - Page 18 We_hav10

Su-25 attack over Popasna

Ukraine, Melitopol residents for the first time in a long time are finally getting ready to celebrate Victory Day

NSFW Warning for dead soldiers. Z-Force troops inspect an destroyed Ukrainian position

RF Airforce compilation

RF Armed Forces, reinforced by two BTR-82A and a tank, cover the reconnaissance group with fire

GarryB, franco, d_taddei2, Big_Gazza, JohninMK, Sprut-B, Eugenio Argentina and like this post

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Mon May 09, 2022 9:45 pm

Airbornewolf wrote:Happy Victory Day everyone.

RF Airforce compilation

I once had a sticker on my car

JET NOISE ------- THE SOUND OF FREEDOM

Airbornewolf and Big_Gazza like this post

Dr.Snufflebug

Post  Dr.Snufflebug Mon May 09, 2022 9:49 pm

flamming_python wrote:

Yep, and as you laid out, wanted to leave his successor, whoever it is, in a more advantegous position than he found himself in back in the day

Putin could have handled some things better for sure, but considering the constant pot shots that the west has been taking against Russia (the entire Ukrainian affair is one, a big one) all this time, they are ultimately to blame.

Putins major fault has ironically been too much careful assessment and application of logic, and attempts at constructive dialogue. I say ironically because it's a 180 from the story we're told in the west.

Over here P is a bloodthirsty madman. Goebbelsian only begins to describe it.

The Russian leadership realized this a good while back, but still naively try to cling to a "moral high ground" they think will ultimately burn through all the BS, once the smoke has dispersed and the dust has settled.

It won't. The power of the propaganda machine Russia is up against has no historical analogues.

We are quite literally seeing Ukrainians commit heinous war crimes all the time, some even ISIS-tier, that can be confirmed and indeed often are by their own boasting even, but foreign media and politicians are deliberately ignoring it.

Instead what you get delivered through the news is some nebulous remarks on Russian "war crimes", never corroborated, often based on stuff debunked already.

I mentiond in this thread how mad things were during 8/8/8, it's the same but a hundred times worse.

sepheronx, GarryB, flamming_python, andalusia, Big_Gazza, JohninMK, Ispan and like this post

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Mon May 09, 2022 9:56 pm

JohninMK wrote:m777

Prepared positions, doesn't look like it's firing Excalibur. It seems like training somewhere in the rear. You need to shoot and scoot with those things.

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15 - Page 18 Image18

Big_Gazza likes this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon May 09, 2022 10:01 pm

Dr.Snufflebug wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:

Yep, and as you laid out, wanted to leave his successor, whoever it is, in a more advantegous position than he found himself in back in the day

Putin could have handled some things better for sure, but considering the constant pot shots that the west has been taking against Russia (the entire Ukrainian affair is one, a big one) all this time, they are ultimately to blame.

Putins major fault has ironically been too much careful assessment and application of logic, and attempts at constructive dialogue. I say ironically because it's a 180 from the story we're told in the west.

Over here P is a bloodthirsty madman. Goebbelsian only begins to describe it.

The Russian leadership realized this a good while back, but still naively try to cling to a "moral high ground" they think will ultimately burn through all the BS, once the smoke has dispersed and the dust has settled.

It won't. The power of the propaganda machine Russia is up against has no historical analogues.

We are quite literally seeing Ukrainians commit heinous war crimes all the time, some even ISIS-tier, that can be confirmed and indeed often are by their own boasting even, but foreign media and politicians are deliberately ignoring it.

Instead what you get delivered through the news is some nebulous remarks on Russian "war crimes", never corroborated, often based on stuff debunked already.

I mentiond in this thread how mad things were during 8/8/8, it's the same but a hundred times worse.

Yup. In fact they've been busy ascribing Ukrainian warcrimes to Russian ones

Such as the Drama Theatre in Mariupol, checked out the headline today. Russian warcrime apparently.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/investigation-death-count-mariupol-theatre-1.6440722

Nevermind the fact that it was blown up by Azov as a provocation, with Russian/DNR sources warning of the event several days before it happened

GarryB, Big_Gazza, MMBR, Sprut-B and ucmvulcan like this post

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Mon May 09, 2022 11:17 pm

Looking at the usage of pontoon bridges and river crossings in general during this operation, it seems that amphibious capability is only now important for recon vehicles and it would be better to have IFVs and APCs decked with armor addons/cages from NIIstal.

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15 - Page 18 Image19
    Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15 - Page 18 Image20

I think after this - we will see Russian forces gain weight with various armor protection solutions, it seems that armored trucks will be the first to come (finally more orders for Ural)

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15 - Page 18 Image21Russian special military operation in Ukraine #15 - Page 18 Image22
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Mon May 09, 2022 11:57 pm

Cage armour sucks. Trucks with armour are too expensive and never enough armoured to protect against rpg and atgm.

What they need is mass use of active protection systems and the ability to strike first.

Not loosing equipement is impossible in wars where modern anti tnk missiles are widespread. Just look other conflict, one man with a kornet or tow can destroy plenty of vehicles.

GarryB and MMBR like this post

caveat emptor
    caveat emptor

Post  caveat emptor Tue May 10, 2022 12:24 am

Ispan wrote:Comrades! I know there is at least a couple Russian speakers here, so I need a little help

If you allow me a little off topic. On Victory Day some relatives of my wife unearthed and old picture of her great grandfather who served in the Great Patriotic War, after some internet searches this is what I found.

He was born in 1902 and seems to have conscripted into a 218 Army Reserve Rifle Regiment, in Nov 1941. No info about division but the combat path seems to have been to the 65th Army and the 33th Army, he served in the Western Front and the 2nd Byelorussian front, I don't know what's the sequence, but he survived through the war being wounded three times by bullets. But he never talked about the war as "there was nothing to tell". Family believed he was just one anonymous soldier like millions that served in the infantry and lived to tell the tale.

7 автомобильный огужтб 33 А ЗапФ

огужтб - отдельный гужтранспортный батальон
    This was separate horse drawn transport battalion

GarryB and Ispan like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm