Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+76
chinggis
11E
Karl Haushofer
Yugo90
teh_beard
owais.usmani
MMBR
Ispan
thegopnik
GunshipDemocracy
psg
ahmedfire
ult
caveat emptor
Ned86
Rodion_Romanovic
Sujoy
crod
LMFS
Airbornewolf
ludovicense
diabetus
wilhelm
Boshoed
Arrow
VARGR198
Odin of Ossetia
Broski
ArgentinaGuard
par far
pavi
kvs
GarryB
Hole
JohninMK
mavaff
Mir
SeigSoloyvov
Urluber
Hinex1988
RTN
ALAMO
lancelot
lyle6
TMA1
Scorpius
mnztr
mnrck
Krepost
Big_Gazza
Erk
Serberus
PhSt
Werewolf
ucmvulcan
ATLASCUB
nomadski
Firebird
Regular
Azi
littlerabbit
franco
sepheronx
Isos
Eugenio Argentina
PapaDragon
Podlodka77
Belisarius
limb
Arkanghelsk
Hannibal Barca
Dr.Snufflebug
flamming_python
Stealthflanker
d_taddei2
zorobabel
80 posters

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #12

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #12 - Page 23 Empty Re: Russian special military operation in Ukraine #12

Post  flamming_python Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:23 am

caveat emptor wrote:Russian MoD should come out and explain what really happened. I can tell that many Russians are not happy they are trying to push this under the carpet.

They have. They said there was a detonation, a fire, the crew was evacuated and the ship was towed, but then it sunk

They've left out what caused the detonation, and how much of the crew was alive still for evacuation. But gradually we're filling in the blanks. Hopefully there will be more clarification tomorrow, another video of injured sailors and officers in hospital for example.
    caveat emptor
    caveat emptor

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #12 - Page 23 Empty Re: Russian special military operation in Ukraine #12

Post  caveat emptor Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:24 am

Big_Gazza wrote:
    caveat emptor wrote:Russian MoD should come out and explain what really happened. I can tell that many Russians are not happy they are trying to push this under the carpet.

Have you actually considered that the MoD version may be accurate?

Its entirely plausible that the loss of Moskva was an unfortunate accident, a case of a 40+ year old ship that had not received any upgrades during service, in need of repair, soon to be put into reserve, compelled to serve in wartime as a radar picket ship and area AD, suffering a catastrophic accident due to causes as yet unknown.  The loss of Kursk was an accident, as was the Komsomolets, as was the Otvazhny back in 1974.  These things can happen.

I'll withhold judgement until I know for sure.  Given that this is war, I would expect that anyone sympathetic to Russia should be doing the same.  Bloody-minded insistence on casting aspersions against the Navy and its leadership is just giving comfort to the enemy.
    Of course. Honestly, i don't care about the ship at all, but  about people that died. They should come clean and explain their version best they can. I agree with FP's comment about Kursk. That kind of shit shouldn't happen again.

GunshipDemocracy likes this post

mnztr

Post  mnztr Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:25 am

zorobabel wrote:The MoD video with the crew of the Moskva only shows about 100 sailors. Not sure what is going on there.

Is black a standard uniform colour or are they wearing that for mourning losses. There is NO WAY there is a fire and explosion big enough to sink a 10K ton ship with 500 people on board that does not result in substantial deaths..
    caveat emptor
    caveat emptor

Post  caveat emptor Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:26 am

flamming_python wrote:

They have. They said there was a detonation, a fire, the crew was evacuated and the ship was towed, but then it sunk

They've left out what caused the detonation, and how much of the crew was alive still for evacuation. But gradually we're filling in the blanks. Hopefully there will be more clarification tomorrow, another video of injured sailors and officers in hospital for example.
    I just hope that they didn't lose more than 30 sailors. That's all. Loss of a ship is a major **** up, but i can live with that.

flamming_python, Rodion_Romanovic, Mir and Arkanghelsk like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:31 am

mnztr wrote:
    zorobabel wrote:The MoD video with the crew of the Moskva only shows about 100 sailors. Not sure what is going on there.

Is black a standard uniform colour or are they wearing that for mourning losses. There is NO WAY there is a fire and explosion big enough to sink a 10K ton ship with 500 people on board that does not result in substantial deaths..

It's a parade uniform for the winter season (which lasts up until April/May)

Mir likes this post

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:33 am

mnztr wrote:

Standard. I bet they hate it when they are in Syria. The last time I met Russian Navy personnel was in Limassol, Cyprus 2016. All dressed in black and roasting in the sun. Twisted Evil

Mir and Arkanghelsk like this post

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:39 am

flamming_python wrote:
    mnztr wrote:

Surely, black is the standard color no matter what season, I thought parade uniforms were white top and black trousers like in this image below, or I am mixing something?

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #12 - Page 23 Image38

Dr.Snufflebug

Post  Dr.Snufflebug Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:47 am

ucmvulcan wrote:

Does a Tu-160 have to fly near the boarders?  I thought the white swan had ordinance that could be fired well out of range of opposing air defenses.  

Tu-160 *only* carries long-range cruise missiles (Kh-55/555, Kh-101/102).

Much like Tu-95M/MS, they were fitted with rotary missile launchers long ago (and Tu-95 received underwing hardpoints for an additional 8 or 10 cruise missiles), and haven't dropped a single bomb for at least 20 years.(1)

To convert them back into bombers again would take some time, and for what?

The only large actual bomber (as in a plane actually able to carry bombs internally) RU operates is Tu-22M3, when it isn't loaded with 3x Kh-22/32s.

It can carry even more in full "bomb truck mode", with two MERs for an additional 18x bombs

Max loadout (in numbers) is 69x FAB-100 to 250. 42x FAB-500 otherwise packs the most punch.

It can also carry FAB-3000 (x2) and FAB-9000 (x1). And I'd pay to see the latter being dropped somewhere, though I don't know if any are in stock anymore.

(1) And no, the "FOAB" was not dropped by a Tu-160 back in 2008 or whenever that demo took place, it was clearly slid out from the cargo hold of an Il-76 or some such.

Regular, LMFS, owais.usmani, Broski and Arkanghelsk like this post

Dr.Snufflebug

Post  Dr.Snufflebug Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:12 am

PS, Russia should really develop a cheap-ish PGM add-on like the U.S. Paveway series.

Problem is, Russia (well, the USSR) kinda stuck with the un-aerodynamic M54 bomb models, optimized for internal carry.

The low-drag M62 variants don't show up as often, and aren't ideal for such a "kit" either due to the fin layout (the "ring" in particular) and general stubbiness.

Bit of a blunder in hindsight, apparently (?) necessitating dedicated PGMs like the KAB series. The SVP-24 "Gefest" doesn't solve this issue either, though it certainly is an upgrade over the legacy bomb computers.

But there *has* to be some way to properly PGM-ize at least the M62 models.

Anyway, the laser guidance add-ons for S-8 and S-13 rockets seemed very clever. Whatever happened to those?
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:26 am

Regular wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:
    mnztr wrote:

Surely, black is the standard color no matter what season, I thought parade uniforms were white top and black trousers like in this image below, or I am mixing something?

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #12 - Page 23 Image38

White is for summer. The guy in the middle is on duty and looks like a marine (1st and 2nd line ships tend to have a complement)

Regular, Mir and Arkanghelsk like this post

Dr.Snufflebug

Post  Dr.Snufflebug Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:35 am

Oh, with the 1PM deadline re Azovstal announced, I wonder what they'll do after that.

No FAB-9000, but... A bunch of 3000s perhaps?

Or have they pulled up a lot of arty that's waiting to deliver the final blow?
    lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:55 am

Arkanghelsk wrote:On another note, does anyone know why Su24 was not used in this conflict?
    Despite it being old, as a bomber it had a lot of life, and it's an aircraft that is fast and low, and even can fly high to deliver cheap bombs
    Does anyone know why su24 did not make an appearance?
    Why? Plenty of Su-34s. And unlike the Su-34, the Su-24 neither has the same level of integrated radar jamming capabilities, or sensors.

sepheronx, Hole and Broski like this post

mnztr

Post  mnztr Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:02 am

Big_Gazza wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:BTW there was this video from mid-March claiming a downed Mi-28N

What is it? I have my doubts it's actually a Mi-28N

"Russia’s poorly designed “Apache”wanna be..."  

Why post enemy propaganda posts?  Just the smell of NATOista screed should be enough to make you pass over this garbage.

Don't pollute the forum with enemy BS.  Russia will take losses, it is inevitable, but why the fck do you choose to stink up the forum with this stuff?  You say that you're not a 6th column emo-commie?  Maybe you need to act in a way consistent with your denials...  

Kinda funny how the US had to copy the MI-26 gearbox concept to enable the CH-53K enough power.

Big_Gazza, GunshipDemocracy and Broski like this post

mnztr

Post  mnztr Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:05 am

Dr.Snufflebug wrote:Oh, with the 1PM deadline re Azovstal announced, I wonder what they'll do after that.

No FAB-9000, but... A bunch of 3000s perhaps?

Or have they pulled up a lot of arty that's waiting to deliver the final blow?

aren't fuel-air explosives tailor made for this situation? Blast and oxygen depletion to kill anything the blast does not kill?

GarryB, Werewolf, Mir and Broski like this post

mnztr

Post  mnztr Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:10 am

caveat emptor wrote:
    Big_Gazza wrote:

Have you actually considered that the MoD version may be accurate?

Its entirely plausible that the loss of Moskva was an unfortunate accident, a case of a 40+ year old ship that had not received any upgrades during service, in need of repair, soon to be put into reserve, compelled to serve in wartime as a radar picket ship and area AD, suffering a catastrophic accident due to causes as yet unknown.  The loss of Kursk was an accident, as was the Komsomolets, as was the Otvazhny back in 1974.  These things can happen.

I'll withhold judgement until I know for sure.  Given that this is war, I would expect that anyone sympathetic to Russia should be doing the same.  Bloody-minded insistence on casting aspersions against the Navy and its leadership is just giving comfort to the enemy.
    Of course. Honestly, i don't care about the ship at all, but  about people that died. They should come clean and explain their version best they can. I agree with FP's comment about Kursk. That kind of shit shouldn't happen again.

The only reasonable explanation is that they wish to inform the bereaved in person before making an announcement. This would be reasonable. A visit from a naval officer and chaplin.
    mnztr

Post  mnztr Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:15 am

Dr.Snufflebug wrote:Oh, with the 1PM deadline re Azovstal announced, I wonder what they'll do after that.
    Russian special military operation in Ukraine #12 - Page 23 Release-the-hounds-the-simpsons

GunshipDemocracy and 11E like this post

diabetus

Post  diabetus Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:27 am

Dr.Snufflebug wrote:PS, Russia should really develop a cheap-ish PGM add-on like the U.S. Paveway series.

Problem is, Russia (well, the USSR) kinda stuck with the un-aerodynamic M54 bomb models, optimized for internal carry.

The low-drag M62 variants don't show up as often, and aren't ideal for such a "kit" either due to the fin layout (the "ring" in particular) and general stubbiness.

Bit of a blunder in hindsight, apparently (?) necessitating dedicated PGMs like the KAB series. The SVP-24 "Gefest" doesn't solve this issue either, though it certainly is an upgrade over the legacy bomb computers.

Anyway, the laser guidance add-ons for S-8 and S-13 rockets seemed very clever. Whatever happened to those?

One issue is that there's a huge inventory of old m54 bombs in the inventory still.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:43 am

Dr.Snufflebug wrote:

I think laser-guided versions of those rockets date back to like the 80s

Dunno how often they were ever used

I don't know what the niche is exactly. Those rocket pods are area of effect weapons. Concealed infantry, suppression of some position, a cluster of vehicles. If you have a particular target in mind that you want to guarantee a hit on, use a Shturm or a Vikhr.

GarryB likes this post

mnztr

Post  mnztr Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:43 am

diabetus wrote:
    Dr.Snufflebug wrote:PS, Russia should really develop a cheap-ish PGM add-on like the U.S. Paveway series.

One issue is that there's a huge inventory of old m54 bombs in the inventory still.

Can't they just make the kit include a front and rear fairing to improve the aero of the bomb?
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:48 am

limb wrote:Can anyone explain why the Ukrainian troops around Odessa still haven't been bombed by the Russian air force? Why do theystill have lots of combat capable vehicles?

Because bRoTheRLy pEopLes!!! Rolling Eyes

Communism, not even once

Broski likes this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:58 am

par far wrote:...As for the negotiations, I don't think that Russia was ever serious about that, it might have just been to give diplomatic cover to China and India.

Oh they were definitely serious about negotiations, they stopped the whole offensive because of them like absolute chumps

They learned the hard way (again) that apes are just taking them for a ride

Big_Gazza wrote:...Russia will take losses, it is inevitable...

It's not inevitable, only reason Russia is taking any non-marginal loses is because they refuse to kill the enemy

All Russian losses are result of Russian inaction not Ukrainian actions

Apes are being given kiddie glove treatment and as a result they get to pretend they are being successful in fighting a war

owais.usmani, Broski and Arkanghelsk like this post

Arkanghelsk
    Arkanghelsk

Post  Arkanghelsk Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:05 am

It is a political choice , not a military one

Su24 is a capable aircraft , it can use fantasmagoria pod to Jam targeting radar of Buk

It can also use laser guided weapons with kh25 and kh27 with Kaira-24 targeting optic

Spetsnaz can use lasers as in Syria , to direct precision airstrike via laser missile or smart bombs like KAB 500 and even unguided bombs with SVP 24 Gefest module

Sirena RWR was tested against soviet radars and they regularly fly against pantsir and buk in modern exercises

Su24 is not flying combat missions due to a technical limitation

It is not flying because of political limitations

With that range, speed, endurance, payload and workrate of su24 you want to be using this plane of which there are many upgraded versions to cheaply hunt the enemy and use smaller and cheaper platforms to terminate the enemy

In addition to drones, artillery, and helicopters , those munitions give the capability to hit Ukros outside of rocket range, and therefor MANPADS and SHORADS where you wouldn't have to use kalibr or iskander

This was successful in Syria against militants with MANPADS and other such weapons
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:10 am

kvs wrote:The only relevant analysis is how the final stand of the Kiev regime will play out in the LDNR cauldron...

It won't be anywhere near final, it would be just the first step of (hopefully) finally getting the job done

Once that rat nest is torched they need to push forward and wait for next group of rats to get recruited and assembled​ so they could get roasted as well

Rinse and repeat until Polish border

Arrow, owais.usmani, lancelot and Broski like this post

thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:58 am

any map updates?
    Serberus
    Serberus

Post  Serberus Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:20 am

Mariupol is under Russian control, only Nazis left in Azovstal
    According to Russian MOD they had around 8000 troops there initially , 4000KIA, 1500POW and 2500 left in Azovstal.
    They were given one “final” (for a third time I think) ultimatum to lay down arms and surrender today, or it’s reported they would be vacuum bombed.

Minor gains south and east of Izyum, around Popasna and supposedly Kherson otherwise nothing of note, still waiting for a major offensive to commence.

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #12 - Page 23 12800a10

Big_Gazza, kvs, Eugenio Argentina, LMFS, Hole, Broski and Podlodka77 like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm