Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


+26
nomadski
crod
Mir
JohninMK
GarryB
miketheterrible
TMA1
Odin of Ossetia
magnumcromagnon
Krepost
par far
franco
George1
Hole
flamming_python
d_taddei2
LMFS
Mindstorm
kvs
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
higurashihougi
PhSt
lyle6
nero
RTN
ALAMO
30 posters

    Syrian War: News #23

    avatar
    par far


    Posts : 3313
    Points : 3558
    Join date : 2014-06-26

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  par far Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:57 am

    Isos wrote:
    crod wrote:
    Isos wrote:

    Israeli MoD forbided two days ago transfert of its weapons by anyone to Ukraine. They don't want to deteriorate their relation with Russia.

    Which is why the Iranians left Russia the other week with the sum of fcuk all in military sales agreements. There is an agreement between both countries that israel will not sell the Ukraine drones etc and Russia will not sell the Iranians anything. They didn’t even have Russian and Iranian flags present during the meeting not to mention a military guard welcome for him (the president of Iran) lol. A prayer mat on the floor in a room. The sum of fcuk all.

    This is exactly the reason why israel will not be targeting Russian bases as the article suggested, in fact there’s more chance of me doing so single-handedly.

    The relationship between Russia and israel is infinitely more important to the Russians than that of Iran by a factor of ten.

    I doubt. There is no contract for selling anything between Russia and Iran yet.

    Not giving access to ukraine to israel small weapons isn't gonna change a long term agreement between Iran and Russia for fighters and S-400. And the story is about israel not letting baltic states send israeli weapons.

    It has more to do with the fact that if Israel doesn't want Russia to start helping Iran bringing missiles inside Syria they better not start providing weapons to Ukraine.

    Last week there was a military exercice btw Iran and Russia and China. IMO it's Iran that has still not signed anything while they have signed a big agreement with China. They may be still thinking about what to buy and when to buy it.


    Another thing is, does it even matter if Israeli weapons go to Ukraine or not? The US and British are already sending all the weapons that the Nazi's need in Ukraine.

    GarryB likes this post

    avatar
    par far


    Posts : 3313
    Points : 3558
    Join date : 2014-06-26

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  par far Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:26 am







    https://thesaker.is/russia-squeezed-israel-out-of-syria-ruslan-ostashko/

    flamming_python likes this post

    flamming_python
    flamming_python


    Posts : 6961
    Points : 7039
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  flamming_python Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:26 am

    Isos wrote:
    crod wrote:
    Isos wrote:

    Israeli MoD forbided two days ago transfert of its weapons by anyone to Ukraine. They don't want to deteriorate their relation with Russia.

    Which is why the Iranians left Russia the other week with the sum of fcuk all in military sales agreements. There is an agreement between both countries that israel will not sell the Ukraine drones etc and Russia will not sell the Iranians anything. They didn’t even have Russian and Iranian flags present during the meeting not to mention a military guard welcome for him (the president of Iran) lol. A prayer mat on the floor in a room. The sum of fcuk all.

    This is exactly the reason why israel will not be targeting Russian bases as the article suggested, in fact there’s more chance of me doing so single-handedly.

    The relationship between Russia and israel is infinitely more important to the Russians than that of Iran by a factor of ten.

    I doubt. There is no contract for selling anything between Russia and Iran yet.

    Not giving access to ukraine to israel small weapons isn't gonna change a long term agreement between Iran and Russia for fighters and S-400. And the story is about israel not letting baltic states send israeli weapons.

    It has more to do with the fact that if Israel doesn't want Russia to start helping Iran bringing missiles inside Syria they better not start providing weapons to Ukraine.

    Last week there was a military exercice btw Iran and Russia and China. IMO it's Iran that has still not signed anything while they have signed a big agreement with China. They may be still thinking about what to buy and when to buy it.

    Who cares what Israel will supply to the Ukraine?

    They supplied weapons to Georgia too. Did it help?

    Russia's support of Syria and pending sales with Iran have nothing to do with who Israel sells weapons to or not. Now that the Cold War has officially restarted, its time for Russia to provide full bore support to both these countries in the name of squeezing out the Americans from the Middle East, including their eyes and ears the state of Israel.

    GarryB, magnumcromagnon, ALAMO and Mir like this post

    avatar
    ALAMO


    Posts : 2069
    Points : 2071
    Join date : 2014-11-25

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  ALAMO Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:10 am

    flamming_python wrote:

    They supplied weapons to Georgia too. Did it help?

    It did help!
    But not Georgia Laughing
    But I bet that folks at Amlaz Antey really enjoyed delivered Spyders Laughing

    GarryB likes this post

    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2


    Posts : 2591
    Points : 2767
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  d_taddei2 Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:21 pm

    nomadski wrote:@ d-taddei2

    "....I doubt China will risk investing in BRI in Syria until fully secure. Especially when you are talking about Syria being partitioned that makes investment in such initiative even worse....." You may be right of course . But the same could be said about any part of the ME or the world . The BRI may come under attack in a few years time , in an otherwise stable and peaceful country . There could be instability there . So the world has got to come to a stop ? I said before that an organisation like CSTO could be set up to specifically protect BRI and associated industrial cities around it . Also the Road does not have to built from East to West , all the time . It can be built from West to East in Syria . Expanding East . Even if it meets a dead end , no great loss . Since it has connected as far as it could connect for now . Also to help private industry to move in , respective governments could provide  financial cover for any damages to property or workers by insurance policy  . A state is big enough to do this !


    @ Mir

    "...I don't think any Syrian partition is on the cards simply because Kurdish independence would surely mean a full scale Turkish invasion. The Kurds have always been treated respectfully by the Syrians government and has always been considered part of Syria. US sanctions on Syria will never be lifted as long as Assad remains in power. The US failed regime change in Syria is similar to the failures in Cuba and Venezuela. It is an embarrassment for the "number one" nation in the world and they don't take these failures particularly well..... " ..........The Turks would be confronted by America , or US backed Kurdish fighters , if they invaded . Even if they occupied Kurdish lands , they would face endemic resistance . Made worse by unification of Kurdish forces . The best they could do , is what they have done . Divide the Kurdish lands North to South and stop access to Sea . Agree that the Yanks will continue with hostility towards Assad .




    I agree with Ur point on partition, any Kurdish independence would see as u say a Turkish invasion.

    As for taking risks there is always a risk and nobody can foresee any future conflict. What is certain is Syria is here and now, the conflict is happening. And to invest in a country during such and not knowing what will happen or when USA will pack it's bags, is a different type of risk. And if USA knows BRI wil pass through, u can bet they will prolong it as much as they can out of spite nothing else.
    lancelot
    lancelot


    Posts : 1298
    Points : 1300
    Join date : 2020-10-18

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  lancelot Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:33 pm

    Ukraine is producing the IMI Tavor rifle under license at RPC Fort. They also bought machine guns and sniper rifles.
    I guess it helps that they forbade the transfer of 8 km range Spike ATGMs from NATO to Ukraine.

    GarryB likes this post

    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2


    Posts : 2591
    Points : 2767
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  d_taddei2 Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:00 pm

    lancelot wrote:Ukraine is producing the IMI Tavor rifle under license at RPC Fort. They also bought machine guns and sniper rifles.
    I guess it helps that they forbade the transfer of 8 km range Spike ATGMs from NATO to Ukraine.

    They have been given plenty of javelins. And it will take a lot more than small arms to win a war in the Donbass

    GarryB and miketheterrible like this post

    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible


    Posts : 7403
    Points : 7377
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  miketheterrible Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:30 pm

    d_taddei2 wrote:
    lancelot wrote:Ukraine is producing the IMI Tavor rifle under license at RPC Fort. They also bought machine guns and sniper rifles.
    I guess it helps that they forbade the transfer of 8 km range Spike ATGMs from NATO to Ukraine.

    They have been given plenty of javelins. And it will take a lot more than small arms to win a war in the Donbass

    Yeah, I mean while the Tavor is a pretty decent rifle, what advantage will it give to Ukies who used AK-74's? Absolutely nothing. The AK-74 was already a fantastic rifle which is more than capable and replacing it with Tavor is pointless. It is similar to replacing the AK-74 for any other rifle other than for trying to make it lighter and stronger material (and easier for attachments).

    So the advantage isn't there.

    But I get what he is saying. It is because Israel has already transferred tech and weapons to Ukraine, that Russia should be working closer with Iran. I am not against Russians assisting the Persians, but I also am not for fighting with the Israelites. Russia does have good relations with Israelis' for most part. Maybe not with the government.

    GarryB, d_taddei2 and starman like this post

    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2


    Posts : 2591
    Points : 2767
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  d_taddei2 Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:28 pm

    miketheterrible wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:
    lancelot wrote:Ukraine is producing the IMI Tavor rifle under license at RPC Fort. They also bought machine guns and sniper rifles.
    I guess it helps that they forbade the transfer of 8 km range Spike ATGMs from NATO to Ukraine.

    They have been given plenty of javelins. And it will take a lot more than small arms to win a war in the Donbass

    Yeah, I mean while the Tavor is a pretty decent rifle, what advantage will it give to Ukies who used AK-74's?  Absolutely nothing.  The AK-74 was already a fantastic rifle which is more than capable and replacing it with Tavor is pointless.  It is similar to replacing the AK-74 for any other rifle other than for trying to make it lighter and stronger material (and easier for attachments).

    So the advantage isn't there.  

    But I get what he is saying.  It is because Israel has already transferred tech and weapons to Ukraine, that Russia should be working closer with Iran.  I am not against Russians assisting the Persians, but I also am not for fighting with the Israelites.  Russia does have good relations with Israelis' for most part.  Maybe not with the government.

    For the Ukrainians, it's more about stamping out anything Russian or Soviet made/designed, am image thing nothing else. In fact it would cost them more to replace the AK series, but for them they are willing to spend if it eradicates anything Russian (big bad Russia syndrome).

    And I agree no point in falling out with Israel for the sake of a rifle, especially when it won't impact on any conflict, it's not a game changing weapon. If anything it's Israel's token gesture towards helping Ukraine and it ticks the box, keeping USA happy. Israel can say "we have done our bit" and quietly step back from something they probably don't want to get involved in. But rather just show face..

    GarryB and magnumcromagnon like this post

    nomadski
    nomadski


    Posts : 1957
    Points : 1967
    Join date : 2017-01-02

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  nomadski Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:51 pm

    @ d-taddei2

    "....As for taking risks there is always a risk and nobody can foresee any future conflict. What is certain is Syria is here and now, the conflict is happening. And to invest in a country during such and not knowing what will happen or when USA will pack it's bags, is a different type of risk. And if USA knows BRI wil pass through, u can bet they will prolong it as much as they can out of spite nothing else....."

    Russia already investing in Syria as well as Iran and China . Russia by providing security , Iran in civilian reconstruction and China , I think in power generation . The starting point need not be Roads or Rail links . But say industrial and economic developments around Damascus itself and port areas of coastal towns . Security here can be provided in localised areas with a boundary  or border . Half the battle is to win hearts and minds . Once local population see safety and jobs and healthcare , compared to refugee camp in Syria or Turkey or ISIS blow yourself up on a Sunday or Kurdish serfdom to Yankee doodle in the empty desert . Then they will join us . Battle will be won . Roads will come a little later .
    avatar
    par far


    Posts : 3313
    Points : 3558
    Join date : 2014-06-26

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  par far Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:02 pm


    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 33873
    Points : 34391
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  GarryB Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:47 am


    Who cares what Israel will supply to the Ukraine?

    They supplied weapons to Georgia too. Did it help?

    Actually I would say Georgian use of Israeli drones led to a serious wakeup call for the Russian government who had really neglected their military up until that point... the renewed focus has had astounding results across the board for the Russian military and how it is seen by the Russian people.

    The pride is back.

    It didn't just make Russia realise drones can be very useful, but it also made them realise what a threat they were and that they need to work on multiple solutions to dealing with them.

    I rather suspect the HE version of the Kornet EM with a 10km range/altitude and laser beam riding guidance would be an excellent anti drone missile that is cheap... I wonder about the Bulat reduced size version... cheaper? smaller and lighter but probably accurate enough and with a big enough HE payload for drones... can it reach the same range/altitude?
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2


    Posts : 2591
    Points : 2767
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  d_taddei2 Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:46 am

    nomadski wrote:@ d-taddei2

    "....As for taking risks there is always a risk and nobody can foresee any future conflict. What is certain is Syria is here and now, the conflict is happening. And to invest in a country during such and not knowing what will happen or when USA will pack it's bags, is a different type of risk. And if USA knows BRI wil pass through, u can bet they will prolong it as much as they can out of spite nothing else....."

    Russia already investing in Syria as well as Iran and China . Russia by providing security , Iran in civilian reconstruction and China , I think in power generation . The starting point need not be Roads or Rail links . But say industrial and economic developments around Damascus itself and port areas of coastal towns . Security here can be provided in localised areas with a boundary  or border . Half the battle is to win hearts and minds . Once local population see safety and jobs and healthcare , compared to refugee camp in Syria or Turkey or ISIS blow yourself up on a Sunday or Kurdish serfdom to Yankee doodle in the empty desert . Then they will join us . Battle will be won . Roads will come a little later .

    These small projects of getting power plants, and small construction projects. The areas controlled by Turkish backed terrorists and Kurds is still a large area, so even if SAA controlled areas are back to normal still large areas remain untouched. And access to the largest oil field which the revenue of which will help rebuilding the country. And the zero BRI in any form or section won't be built until country is fully secure.
    avatar
    par far


    Posts : 3313
    Points : 3558
    Join date : 2014-06-26

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  par far Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:04 am


    flamming_python and starman like this post

    flamming_python
    flamming_python


    Posts : 6961
    Points : 7039
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  flamming_python Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:58 pm

    Russia needs to secure military passage through Iraq. This conclusion is perhaps premature, but to me it makes sense.

    The Bospherous straight is NATO and thus not reliable for further supply and build-up of forces in Syria.

    At least according to Russian sources, the US has already made inquiries on this regard


    The Kurdish militia in north-east Syria has already agreed to establish joint-control with the Syrian Arab Army of the Semalka border crossing between Iraq and Syria a couple months ago.
    There are US bases in north-east Syria and they might be able to pose a challenge. The bigger problem is further east however.

    The Semalka border crossing connects to Iraqi Kurdistan to be specific. Iraqi Kurdistan hosts a range of NATO bases. A few US ones, but most of them Turkish. The Turks have over the last several years set up multiple permanent military deployments in the region to launch raids against the PKK. The Iraqi Kurdistan government had little recourse but to accept the Turkish presence - however said presence is deeply unpopular among the locals, who endure civilian casualties periodically during Turkish military operations. They might be amicable towards an agreement with Russia though

    One way or the other, if passage through Iraqi Kurdistan is secured - then Russia will have an alternative short route to Syria. Russian forces will be able to cross the Caspian, into Iran, and then from Iran into Iraq and then Syria - thus allowing Russia to build up forces on NATO's south-eastern flank, against the territories in Syria held by Turkey - together with the Syrian Arab Army, Hezbollah and Iranian militias, while the Iranian Army can mobilize some forces on Turkey's eastern border.

    nomadski likes this post

    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 33873
    Points : 34391
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  GarryB Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:41 am

    Not just military.... they can offer trade access to goods that otherwise might be rather expensive or simply not available from other directions and sources which might be profitable and beneficial to the locals offering more incentive to allow military traffic through too.

    Establishing better relations with the people on the ground is a good thing too... the US and Turkey will be pushing the narrative that the Russians are bad and evil... dispelling that myth... it is something they need to learn to do around the world, so why not start there...

    Hannibal Barca likes this post

    lancelot
    lancelot


    Posts : 1298
    Points : 1300
    Join date : 2020-10-18

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  lancelot Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:23 am

    I think it is unrealistic to expect the Kurds to grant access to Russia unless the US pulls out of the region entirely.
    The US has been propping them up at least since the late 1990s back when they had the no fly zones in Iraq.

    As for the Turks closing the Bosphorus straits to Russian ships... the moment they do that they will lose control over them as Russia invades. And Istanbul will be renamed back to Constantinople. There is just no way Russia would accept something like that. The trade link to Black Sea is vital since all the bulk food shipments go that way.

    Hole likes this post

    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2


    Posts : 2591
    Points : 2767
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  d_taddei2 Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:44 pm

    US intelligence agencies are moving terrorists held in the Al Hasakah prison to the At-Tanf zone in southern Syria, this could lead to an increase in threats, Rear Adm. Oleg Zhuravlev, deputy head of the Russian Center for the Reconciliation of Warring Parties in Syria,

    https://sputniknews.com/20220225/us-transfers-militants-from-al-hasakah-to-at-tanf-increasing-threats-russian-military-says-1093377290.html
    lancelot
    lancelot


    Posts : 1298
    Points : 1300
    Join date : 2020-10-18

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  lancelot Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:19 am

    The Russians overflew Al-Tanf with Tu-22M3 just the other day. The US still didn't get the memo?
    They have overstayed their welcome.

    GarryB, d_taddei2, magnumcromagnon and starman like this post

    JohninMK
    JohninMK


    Posts : 11105
    Points : 11226
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  JohninMK Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:19 pm

    lancelot wrote:The Russians overflew Al-Tanf with Tu-22M3 just the other day. The US still didn't get the memo?
    They have overstayed their welcome.

    The US is going to have to get used to the Russians flexing their muscles. Do they pull out as if it was planned or in ignominy again, under pressure?

    d_taddei2 likes this post

    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible


    Posts : 7403
    Points : 7377
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  miketheterrible Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:31 pm

    Johnin or others, now that bosphorus is closed, I wonder what are other areas Russia can transfer besides Iran and Iraq?
    JohninMK
    JohninMK


    Posts : 11105
    Points : 11226
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  JohninMK Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:46 pm

    miketheterrible wrote:Johnin or others, now that bosphorus is closed, I wonder what are other areas Russia can transfer besides Iran and Iraq?

    With all the Ukrainian stuff I missed that. Link to announcement?
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible


    Posts : 7403
    Points : 7377
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  miketheterrible Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:20 pm

    JohninMK wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote:Johnin or others, now that bosphorus is closed, I wonder what are other areas Russia can transfer besides Iran and Iraq?

    With all the Ukrainian stuff I missed that. Link to announcement?

    For some reason I can't paste with brave browser.

    It's on RT.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK


    Posts : 11105
    Points : 11226
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  JohninMK Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:29 pm

    miketheterrible wrote:

    For some reason I can't paste with brave browser.

    It's on RT.

    Another source

    21:27 27 Feb 2022
    Turkey has confirmed that it has closed the Bosphorus to Russia


    Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu has declared that Russia's invasion of Ukraine is a war and that his country is acting following the Montreux Convention, Hurriyet Daily News reports.

    "In the beginning, it was a Russian attack and we evaluated it with experts, soldiers, and lawyers. Now it has turned into a war. This is not a military operation; it is officially a state of war," Çavuşoğlu was quoted by the Hurriyet Daily News.

    Article 19 of the Montreux Convention states that during a war when Turkey is not a belligerent party, warships enjoy the right of complete freedom of passage and navigation. But warships of belligerent states are not allowed to pass through the Bosphorus and Dardanelles, with certain exceptions.

    In particular, warships separated from their bases may return to them.

    "She should not be involved in a war after saying she will go back to the base and passing through the Bosphorus", Çavuşoğlu said.

    https://rubryka.com/en/2022/02/27/turechchyna-pidtverdyla-shho-zakryla-protoky-bosfor-dlya-rosiyi/
    JohninMK
    JohninMK


    Posts : 11105
    Points : 11226
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  JohninMK Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:35 pm

    miketheterrible wrote:Johnin or others, now that bosphorus is closed, I wonder what are other areas Russia can transfer besides Iran and Iraq?

    What a stroke of luck that there are the 6 large landing craft from other fleets in the Black Sea currently that will still be allowed out through the Bosporus. This gives Russia the ability to ship around 4000 tons in them to Syria on their way home. Plus what they can ship on non RuN ships.

    Mind you the 'war' could be over in a week or two.

    GarryB and miketheterrible like this post


    Sponsored content


    Syrian War: News #23 - Page 7 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #23

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:21 am