Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 4961
    Points : 4985
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  GunshipDemocracy Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:55 pm

    LMFS wrote:
    kumbor wrote:Maybe, but cruiser hull must have very different hydrodynamic properties, different L/B ratio, different seaspeed in range of 28-30 knots, not less. LHD/LPD/LHA are different ships, requiring much more hull space than cruiser, they must be broader, fatter, they are slower by definition and have a well deck on the stern. Japanese have built and are building a kind of multipurpose ships - big destroyer with assault ship capabilities, but they are a hell of a cost, that Russia cannot afford!
    Exactly. Unification of LHDs and carriers is something only the multi-keel design would allow, otherwise the LHD would not have internal volume and well deck or the carrier would have no speed. I still think they will make LHDs with roles of transport, amphibious assault, helicopter carrier and STOVL carrier, with well decks and a flight deck. So multi-purpose according to their understanding. Maybe between 20 and 30 kT. Can only imagine destroyers and carriers will be kept differentiated, it does not really make sense to me to unify hulls for them.

    I love to read posts of seasoned ship designers with constructive critics of less experiences Russian colleagues. thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

    QE2 can carry up to 900 Marines
    De Gaulle can carry up to 800








    avatar
    kumbor

    Posts : 302
    Points : 298
    Join date : 2017-06-09

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  kumbor Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:12 pm

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    LMFS wrote:
    kumbor wrote:Maybe, but cruiser hull must have very different hydrodynamic properties, different L/B ratio, different seaspeed in range of 28-30 knots, not less. LHD/LPD/LHA are different ships, requiring much more hull space than cruiser, they must be broader, fatter, they are slower by definition and have a well deck on the stern. Japanese have built and are building a kind of multipurpose ships - big destroyer with assault ship capabilities, but they are a hell of a cost, that Russia cannot afford!
    Exactly. Unification of LHDs and carriers is something only the multi-keel design would allow, otherwise the LHD would not have internal volume and well deck or the carrier would have no speed. I still think they will make LHDs with roles of transport, amphibious assault, helicopter carrier and STOVL carrier, with well decks and a flight deck. So multi-purpose according to their understanding. Maybe between 20 and 30 kT. Can only imagine destroyers and carriers will be kept differentiated, it does not really make sense to me to unify hulls for them.

    I love to read posts of seasoned ship designers with constructive critics of less experiences Russian colleagues.   thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup  

    QE2 can carry up to 900 Marines
    De Gaulle can carry up to 800









    Fact that Kuz. is registered as "aircraft carrying cruiser" dates from the times when shipbuilding department was hardly opposed to "aircraft carriers" as the "Nests of american aggression". Now these days are over, marshall Ustinov died long time ago, and there are no principal opponents to the idea of aircraft carrier as such. In every way except political idiocy, Kuz. is an aircraft carrier.
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

    Posts : 5648
    Points : 5642
    Join date : 2016-08-15
    Location : AZ, USA

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  Tsavo Lion Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:59 pm

    4 missions. Let's count '
    1) Aircraft Carrier
    2) helo carrier
    3) LHD
    4) ???? what is 4th? a cruiser?
    The 4th mission of the new ship is anti-surface, BMD & land attack, i.e. what cruisers r for.
    Kuz is TAKR with removed missiles though still VLS tubes are still there AFAIK.
    In keeping with its designation, it will have Ash/LACMs after the refit.
    LMFS
    LMFS

    Posts : 3494
    Points : 3496
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  LMFS Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:10 am

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:I love to read posts of seasoned ship designers with constructive critics of less experiences Russian colleagues.   thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup  
    Don't be a moron, I was talking about STOBAR /CATOBAR type carriers, almost all of which have streamlined hulls and speeds close to 30 kt, while LHDs have big fat hulls with as much internal space as possible and speeds hardly above 20 kt. The type Russia has announced is compatible with carrying STOVL to support an expeditionary force but to my knowledge is not meaning a sudden alteration of naval strategy which clearly indicates the development of new carriers, detailed in further statements as vessels similar or bigger than the K.
    QE2 can carry up to 900 Marines
    De Gaulle can carry up to 800
    Do they have well decks? Space for land vehicles and ramps to load them into the ship? They can transport as many marines as you want but they are not amphibious assault vessels, a cruise ship could do that too.

    kumbor wrote:Fact that Kuz. is registered as "aircraft carrying cruiser" dates from the times when shipbuilding department was hardly opposed to "aircraft carriers" as the "Nests of american aggression". Now these days are over, marshall Ustinov died long time ago, and there are no principal opponents to the idea of aircraft carrier as such. In every way except political idiocy, Kuz. is an aircraft carrier.
    Nevskoye has said that they don't think a carrier needs to be armed to the teeth, since that will only make it more expensive. While I think Russia will not want a defenceless carrier, I have to agree that if you are lacking hangar space it does not make sense to load huge amounts of big ASMs for instance.


    Last edited by LMFS on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

    Posts : 5648
    Points : 5642
    Join date : 2016-08-15
    Location : AZ, USA

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  Tsavo Lion Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:36 am

    Do they have well decks? Space for land vehicles and ramps to load them into the ship? They can transport as many marines as you want but they are not be amphibious assault vessels, a cruise ship could do that too.
    LHDs can do it better, while this new ship can also put dozens of marines & some of their gear ashore with Mi-38s, Ka-29/-52s, & future tilt-rotors.
    http://www.military-today.com/helicopters/kamov_ka29_helix_b.htm
    http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php/news/defence-news/2016/december-2016-navy-naval-forces-defense-industry-technology-maritime-security-global-news/4737-russia-s-navy-receives-first-batch-of-overhauled-ka-29-helicopters.html
    LMFS
    LMFS

    Posts : 3494
    Points : 3496
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  LMFS Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:04 am

    Tsavo Lion wrote:
    Do they have well decks? Space for land vehicles and ramps to load them into the ship? They can transport as many marines as you want but they are not be amphibious assault vessels, a cruise ship could do that too.
    LHDs can do it better, while this new ship can also put dozens of marines & some of their gear ashore with Mi-38s, Ka-29/-52s, & future tilt-rotors.
    Of course, LHDs are the tool for the amphibious assault mission.
    BTW, Russia is developing also the Minoga, if it turns to be a high-speed design of enough size it would be extremely useful as transport helicopter. Maybe even Mi-26 could be used in certain cases too, but deck would need to be specially strong.

    I am thinking that this new vessel class could be something like the America class but with built-in multifunctionality. For instance, two first ships of the America class have no well deck and are meant rather as light carriers, while the subsequent units will have well decks again. A modular ship that could be configured according to the mission would allow to minimize the number of hulls to be built:
    1) Light carrier: internal space configured for hangars and magazines
    2) Transport ship: land vehicles, marines and supplies.
    3) Landing ship: well dock + landing craft

    Other potential configurations could be thought like floating hospital etc.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 4961
    Points : 4985
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  GunshipDemocracy Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:59 am

    LMFS wrote:
    GunshipDemocracy wrote:I love to read posts of seasoned ship designers with constructive critics of less experiences Russian colleagues.   thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup  
    Don't be a moron, I was talking about STOBAR /CATOBAR type carriers, almost all of which have streamlined hulls and speeds close to 30 kt, while LHDs have big fat hulls with as much internal space as possible and speeds hardly above 20 kt. The type Russia has announced is compatible with carrying STOVL to support an expeditionary force but to my knowledge is not meaning a sudden alteration of naval strategy which clearly indicates the development of new carriers, detailed in further statements as vessels similar or bigger than the K.


    Dont be a moron. Russia has announced absolutely nothing so far. The on announcement from Rkahmanov is no official statement. Perhaps only one of proposals for spring competition.
    Only MoD or Boriosv can name official statements. We like them or not. The only official so far was replacement of MiG-29k and Su-33 with better VSTOL fighter.

    Will this ship be chosen one ? only MoD can give an answer. None of us.


    LMFS wrote:detailed in further statements as vessels similar or bigger than the K.

    so who precisely of MoD said it and when ? a quote perhaps? Better wait till spring 2019. No need to make up stories now  thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup






    kumbor wrote:
    Fact that Kuz. is registered as "aircraft carrying cruiser" dates from the times when shipbuilding department was hardly opposed to "aircraft carriers" as the "Nests of american aggression".

    really no differences in design?

    Kuz 58,600tonnes - 24 fighters
    6 × AK-630 AA guns (6×30 mm, 6,000 round/min/mount, 24,000 rounds)
    8 × CADS-N-1 Kashtan CIWS (each 2 × 30 mm Gatling AA plus 32 3K87 Kortik SAM)
    12 × P-700 Granit SSM
    24 × 8-cell 3K95 Kinzhal SAM VLS (192 missiles; 1 missile per 3 seconds)
    RBU-12000 UDAV-1 ASW rocket launchers (60 rockets)


    Carrier QE2 - up to 50 fighters (65,000tonnes)
    At least 3 × Phalanx CIWS[11]
    30-mm DS30M Mk2 guns
    Miniguns
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 4961
    Points : 4985
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  GunshipDemocracy Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:19 am

    Tsavo Lion wrote:
    4 missions. Let's count '
    1) Aircraft Carrier
    2) helo carrier
    3) LHD
    4) ???? what is 4th? a cruiser?
    The 4th mission of the new ship is anti-surface, BMD & land attack, i.e. what cruisers r for.

    Looks like, say hybride of ASW carrier/carrier/LHD + cruiser so actual TAKR. But will it materialize? that's more question of doctrine, AShMs or airwing. Since there wont be really parity on high seas AShMs IMHO are better solution but lets wait till decision is made.



    Tsavo wrote:
    Kuz is TAKR with removed missiles though still VLS tubes are still there AFAIK.
    In keeping with its designation, it will have Ash/LACMs after the refit.


    Unlikely unless you've heard something. Have you from MoD?
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 4961
    Points : 4985
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  GunshipDemocracy Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:52 am

    OK, Lads you wanted official statements of MoD? here it comes.:
    the Chief of Naval Aviation of the Navy, Hero of Russia, Major General Igor KOZHIN , talks about upgrading and modernizing the fleet, improving the infrastructure and the development prospects in general  

    Krasnya Zvezda is an official MoD paper.

    generally the whole interview is interesting but I quoted only part related to this thread:

    1) new deck fighter before 2030...
    2) new aircraft AEW/AWACS le's see what platform it will be based on
    3) new deck helo - also used as assault one.


    in third stage a long-range amphibious helicopter!!!! affraid affraid affraid




    http://redstar.ru/po-puti-obnovleniya/



    - Igor Sergeyevich, if possible, indicate, please, the prospects for the development of naval aviation for a long period of time, for example, until 2050.
    - As I have already mentioned, in naval aviation it is planned to modernize the existing fleet of aircraft and their phased replacement with promising aviation complexes.



    At the first stage (until 2020)
    , an active modernization of the existing aircraft fleet is carried out. We are also talking about the replacement of special aircraft with new types of aircraft, the inclusion of assault and transport-assault ship-based helicopters (Ka-52K), naval unmanned aerial vehicles into the combat strength of the naval fighter aircraft units (MiG-29K / KUB). In total, up to 2020 it is planned to supply more than 100 aircraft to the naval aviation of the Navy.


    At the second stage (2021-2030 years)
    will continue to upgrade the entire fleet of aircraft and helicopters of naval aviation and re-equipment of fighter-assault aircraft coastal-based, there will begin mass production of advanced aviation patrol complex, a promising multi-purpose helicopter complex coastal and ship-based combat helicopter ship-based.
    The naval aviation, should receive:
    shipborne radar patrol aircraft
    shipborne unmanned aerial vehicles,
    promising aviation complex of naval aviation.




    In the third stage (2031-2050 years)
    in naval aviation is expected to move to a new generation of multi-functional aircraft and adopt a new generation of high-precision air-based weapon systems, the combat capabilities of anti-submarine and multi-purpose patrol aircraft will be increased due to the re-equipment of anti-submarine regiments to a multi-purpose ship helicopter and a patrol aircraft of the far zone.

    Search and rescue helicopters of amphibious class of the far zone will be created, including for operations in the Arctic and Arctic sea shelves.
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

    Posts : 5648
    Points : 5642
    Join date : 2016-08-15
    Location : AZ, USA

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  Tsavo Lion Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:16 am

    https://www.russiadefence.net/t7631p700-future-russian-aircraft-carriers-3#242436

    I checked the original; among other things, they plan to have the MiG-29K/UB & develop AEWAC plane for ship-borne ops.
    The Mig-29UB Fulcrum-B is a two-seat version of the proven Mig-29 fighter aircraft developed to provide training on the Mig-29 platform. Despite Mig-29UB lack of radar, it can be employed in combat missions engaging targets at short ranges employing the IRST system and the R-73 missile. Mig-29 operators also purchased the Mig-29UB trainer. These aircraft can be upgraded to the radar-equipped Mig-29UMT configuration to get advanced air-to-air and air-to-surface capabilities.
    http://www.deagel.com/Combat-Aircraft/Mig-29UB_a000357002.aspx
    eehnie
    eehnie

    Posts : 2453
    Points : 2462
    Join date : 2015-05-13

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  eehnie Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:15 am

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:OK, Lads you wanted official statements of MoD? here it comes.:
    the Chief of Naval Aviation of the Navy, Hero of Russia, Major General Igor KOZHIN , talks about upgrading and modernizing the fleet, improving the infrastructure and the development prospects in general  

    Krasnya Zvezda is an official MoD paper.

    generally the whole interview is interesting but I quoted only part related to this thread:

    1) new deck fighter before 2030...
    2) new aircraft AEW/AWACS le's see what  platform it will be based on
    3) new deck helo - also used as assault one.


    in third stage a long-range amphibious helicopter!!!!  affraid  affraid  affraid




    http://redstar.ru/po-puti-obnovleniya/



    - Igor Sergeyevich, if possible, indicate, please, the prospects for the development of naval aviation for a long period of time, for example, until 2050.
    - As I have already mentioned, in naval aviation it is planned to modernize the existing fleet of aircraft and their phased replacement with promising aviation complexes.



    At the first stage (until 2020)
    , an active modernization of the existing aircraft fleet is carried out. We are also talking about the replacement of special aircraft with new types of aircraft, the inclusion of assault and transport-assault ship-based helicopters (Ka-52K), naval unmanned aerial vehicles into the combat strength of the naval fighter aircraft units (MiG-29K / KUB). In total, up to 2020 it is planned to supply more than 100 aircraft to the naval aviation of the Navy.


    At the second stage (2021-2030 years)
    will continue to upgrade the entire fleet of aircraft and helicopters of naval aviation and re-equipment of fighter-assault aircraft coastal-based, there will begin mass production of advanced aviation patrol complex, a promising multi-purpose helicopter complex coastal and ship-based combat helicopter ship-based.
    The naval aviation, should receive:
    shipborne radar patrol aircraft
    shipborne unmanned aerial vehicles,
    promising aviation complex of naval aviation.




    In the third stage (2031-2050 years)
    in naval aviation is expected to move to a new generation of multi-functional aircraft and adopt a new generation of high-precision air-based weapon systems, the combat capabilities of anti-submarine and multi-purpose patrol aircraft will be increased due to the re-equipment of anti-submarine regiments to a multi-purpose ship helicopter and a patrol aircraft of the far zone.

    Search and rescue helicopters of amphibious class of the far zone will be created, including for operations in the Arctic and Arctic sea shelves.



    The reality coming again over those saying that the Russian Maritime Doctrine of 2015 is not working. The words of the official fit very well the published about the doctrine, like you can see:

    https://www.russiadefence.net/t7032p50-state-armament-program-2018-2027#211908

    Naval Aviation

    For the Russian Naval Aviation the focus in the first phase will be the development and serial production of an advanced maritime patrol aircraft (MPA) by 2020.

    Additionally, Russia will look to develop and produce a new shore/ship-based multirole helicopter (to replace the Ka-27) and acquire a ship-based combat helicopter (the Ka-52K). Russia will also seek to develop advanced airborne strike systems.

    The second phase will see the deployment of the new Russian ship-based radar surveillance aircraft, ship-based UAVs, and ship-based strike aircraft. The 2021-2030 period will see the Russian Naval Aviation transition to optionally piloted aircraft, including those derived from existing manned aircraft. Obsolete aircraft are to be replaced by modern, multirole manned and unmanned aircraft. During the 2031-2050 phase naval aviation focus will switch to a new generation of multirole aircraft and UAVs and field a new generation of airborne precision weapon systems.

    For the Russian Naval Aviation is very important to work in the development of unmanned platforms. I expect to be unmanned:

    - The future Maritime Patrol / Airborne Early Warning and Control platforms (most of them shipborne, adapted to the different ship weight categories, to achieve maximum range for every ship size category).

    Very likely both roles can be unified, with more powerful features in the bigger platforms.
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 29052
    Points : 29580
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  GarryB Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:34 am

    In regard to the MiG-29, it was the MiG-29UB that did not have a full standard radar... it has a tiny ranging only radar in its nose, but the original radar was removed to save weight (for the second pilot) and also reduce cost as this was basically a training aircraft, though with IRST and IR guided weapons there is nothing hugely wrong with it.

    The current MiGs are based on the MiG-29M2 design and the single and two seat model have the same airframe and both have fully operational radars and other equipment.

    The only difference is that the single seat model uses the space for the extra seat for fuel so its range is slightly extended over the two seat model... otherwise they are identical.

    That includes the MiG-29M2 land version with single and two seat models, the MiG-29KR naval model with single and two seat models and the MiG-35 with single and two seat models.

    The MiG-35 is reportedly designed to operate from carriers as is.

    An AWACS model would be interesting, but personally I would prefer a dedicated aircraft designed from the outset for the role, though if they can get 360 degree radar on a fighter sized plane then good on them.

    The obvious question to ask some members here is why bother if the MiG-35 is already obsolete and will be out of service within ten years... maybe they just don't know what they are talking about?

    I also remember after a defeat in Chechnya lots of professionals inside and outside the Russian military made claims that Russian armour was junk and they should be buying Leopards and will never buy a BMP-3 or T-90 again... since then T-90s and BMP-3s have been bought...
    avatar
    kumbor

    Posts : 302
    Points : 298
    Join date : 2017-06-09

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  kumbor Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:59 pm

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    LMFS wrote:
    GunshipDemocracy wrote:I love to read posts of seasoned ship designers with constructive critics of less experiences Russian colleagues.   thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup  
    Don't be a moron, I was talking about STOBAR /CATOBAR type carriers, almost all of which have streamlined hulls and speeds close to 30 kt, while LHDs have big fat hulls with as much internal space as possible and speeds hardly above 20 kt. The type Russia has announced is compatible with carrying STOVL to support an expeditionary force but to my knowledge is not meaning a sudden alteration of naval strategy which clearly indicates the development of new carriers, detailed in further statements as vessels similar or bigger than the K.


    Dont be a moron. Russia has announced absolutely nothing so far. The on announcement from Rkahmanov is no official statement. Perhaps only one of proposals for spring competition.
    Only MoD or Boriosv can name official statements. We like them or not. The only official so far was replacement of MiG-29k and Su-33 with better VSTOL fighter.

    Will this ship be chosen one ? only MoD can give an answer. None of us.


    LMFS wrote:detailed in further statements as vessels similar or bigger than the K.

    so who precisely of MoD said it and when ? a quote perhaps? Better wait till spring 2019. No need to make up stories now  thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup






    kumbor wrote:
    Fact that Kuz. is registered as "aircraft carrying cruiser" dates from the times when shipbuilding department was hardly opposed to "aircraft carriers" as the "Nests of american aggression".

    really no differences in design?

    Kuz 58,600tonnes - 24 fighters
    6 × AK-630 AA guns (6×30 mm, 6,000 round/min/mount, 24,000 rounds)
    8 × CADS-N-1 Kashtan CIWS (each 2 × 30 mm Gatling AA plus 32 3K87 Kortik SAM)
    12 × P-700 Granit SSM
    24 × 8-cell 3K95 Kinzhal SAM VLS (192 missiles; 1 missile per 3 seconds)
    RBU-12000 UDAV-1 ASW rocket launchers (60 rockets)


    Carrier QE2 - up to 50 fighters (65,000tonnes)
    At least 3 × Phalanx CIWS[11]
    30-mm DS30M Mk2 guns
    Miniguns

    QE - 0 fighters combat operational until 2026, and with new mad idea of SSBN building, surface fleet will be crippled beyond any chance of repair in anytime. Or UK, or England itself "after secession of Scotland" will be unable to support any kind of navy beyond simple coast guard! Small, stinky, joke of a state island if not only as an "Airstrip one" from Orwell`s 1984.
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

    Posts : 5648
    Points : 5642
    Join date : 2016-08-15
    Location : AZ, USA

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty I checked the original; among other things, they plan to have the MiG-29K/UB & develop AEWAC plane for ship-borne ops.

    Post  Tsavo Lion Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:55 pm

    An AWACS model would be interesting, but personally I would prefer a dedicated aircraft designed from the outset for the role,..
    The AWACS plane won't be based on the MiG-29, & it wasn't implied.
    The obvious question to ask some members here is why bother if the MiG-35 is already obsolete and will be out of service within ten years... maybe they just don't know what they are talking about?
    They may not be obsolete now & out of service within ten years; who said they can't be upgraded like the MiG-21/-31s, & A-4s, F-4/-14/-15s were for decades?
    LMFS
    LMFS

    Posts : 3494
    Points : 3496
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  LMFS Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:01 am

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:http://redstar.ru/po-puti-obnovleniya/
    Thanks for the interview, very interesting

    Sincere question: where is the part of the new deck fighter? He talks about new fighters until 2020 (MiGs) and then until 2030 to upgrade the ones shore-based (modernize Su-30SM?) dunno
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 4961
    Points : 4985
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  GunshipDemocracy Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:09 am

    LMFS wrote:
    GunshipDemocracy wrote:http://redstar.ru/po-puti-obnovleniya/
    Thanks for the interview, very interesting

    Sincere question: where is the part of the new deck fighter? He talks about new fighters until 2020 (MiGs) and then until 2030 to upgrade the ones shore-based (modernize Su-30SM?) dunno


    На втором этапе (2021–2030 годы) будут продолжены модернизация всего парка самолётов и вертолётов морской авиации и переоснащение самолётов истребительно-штурмовой авиации берегового базирования,будет начато серийное производство перспективного авиационного патрульного комплекса, перспективного многоцелевого вертолётного комплекса берегового и корабельного базирования, боевого вертолёта корабельного базирования. На вооружение морской авиации должны поступить корабельные самолёты радиолокационного дозора, беспилотные летательные аппараты корабельного базирования, перспективный авиационный комплекс корабельной авиации.



    At the second stage (2021–2030), the modernization of the entire fleet of naval aviation aircraft and helicopters and the retrofitting of coast-based fighter aircraft will be continued.
    There is going to begin a serial production of a promising aviation patrol complex, a promising multipurpose coastal and ship-based helicopter complex, and a ship-based combat helicopter.The naval aviation should be supplied with a shipborne radar patrol aircraft, ship-based unmanned aerial vehicles, and a prospective airborne complex of shipborne aviation.


    By analogy to PAK FA

    Perspektivny Aviatsionny Kompleks Frontovoy Aviatsii, lit. ''prospective aeronautical complex of front-line air forces
    Перспективный авиационный комплекс фронтовой авиации,

    he was talking about
    перспективный авиационный комплекс корабельной авиации- Perspektivny Aviatsionny Kompleks Korabelnoy Aviatsii - prospective airborne complex of shipborne aviation (PAK KA ?)
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 4961
    Points : 4985
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  GunshipDemocracy Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:17 am

    kumbor wrote:
    QE - 0 fighters combat operational until 2026,

    any official data?



    Kumbor wrote: and with new mad idea of SSBN building, surface fleet will be crippled beyond any chance of repair in anytime.

    after wiki

    The Royal Navy is the principal naval warfare service branch of the British Armed Forces. As of November 2018, there are 75 commissioned ships in the Royal Navy. 20 of the commissioned vessels are major surface combatants (six guided missile destroyers, 13 frigates and one aircraft carrier), and 10 are nuclear-powered submarines (four ballistic missile submarines and six fleet submarines). In addition the Navy possesses two amphibious transport docks, 13 mine countermeasures vessels, 23 patrol vessels, four survey vessels, one icebreaker and two historic warships (Victory and Bristol).


    nto that bad to me.

    Or Russia where perceptive of 22350 building look rather good? There is no "chance of repair anytime" , thsi is the matter of couple of years and money only.




    kumbor wrote: Or UK, or England itself "after secession of Scotland" will be unable to support any kind of navy beyond simple coast guard! Small, stinky, joke of a state island if not only as an "Airstrip one" from Orwell`s 1984.

    There will be no secession of UK. Regardless on whether Scots want or not. Same with Brexit. So what that the majority was for EU?
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 4961
    Points : 4985
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  GunshipDemocracy Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:29 am

    eehnie wrote:
    For the Russian Naval Aviation is very important to work in the development of unmanned platforms. I expect to be unmanned:

    - The future Maritime Patrol / Airborne Early Warning and Control platforms (most of them shipborne, adapted to the different ship weight categories, to achieve maximum range for every ship size category).

    Very likely both roles can be unified, with more powerful features in the bigger platforms.

    Chief-in-Commnad Naval Aviation Kozhin said PAK KA till 2030 - in 10 years i doubt new VSTOL unmanned fighter will be developed.


    As for AWACS - still question manned or not, VSTOL ot no tis open, if all ships then tiltrotor would be a logical solution. Not that much worse performance than classic shipborne AWACS but much mor emodest runaway requirements.





    And for all drama queens reading "noo Russian fleet cannot develop OR naval aviation is in shambles OR MoD doesne know how to do their job" . Check article below:
    https://army-news.ru/2018/11/slomannye-krylya-vozroditsya-li-morskaya-aviaciya/


    November 12

    Broken wings Will naval aviation revive?


    There is one, one might say, fatal flaw in the minds of naval commanders who emerged from the crew: misunderstanding the role of naval aviation . This problem cannot be considered purely Russian, in many fleets of the world there was and is a mutual dislike between aviators and sailors. But only in Russia it took truly pathological forms, and only for Russia this can be fraught with disastrous consequences, even the most terrible.


    then an interview with Kozhin lol1 lol1 lol1

    10 December

    http://redstar.ru/po-puti-obnovleniya/

    Along the road to renwal

    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 29052
    Points : 29580
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  GarryB Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:28 am

    really no differences in design?

    Kuz 58,600tonnes - 24 fighters
    6 × AK-630 AA guns (6×30 mm, 6,000 round/min/mount, 24,000 rounds)
    8 × CADS-N-1 Kashtan CIWS (each 2 × 30 mm Gatling AA plus 32 3K87 Kortik SAM)
    12 × P-700 Granit SSM
    24 × 8-cell 3K95 Kinzhal SAM VLS (192 missiles; 1 missile per 3 seconds)
    RBU-12000 UDAV-1 ASW rocket launchers (60 rockets)


    Carrier QE2 - up to 50 fighters (65,000tonnes)
    At least 3 × Phalanx CIWS[11]
    30-mm DS30M Mk2 guns
    Miniguns

    Excellent, so you clearly agree the Russians don't make their carriers like western carriers, so they need a much bigger carrier to get enough fighters on board to be useful... I knew you would come around.

    Or are you suggesting they build American style carriers with F-35s... in which case you are clearly a 5th columnist and should be ignored...
    LMFS
    LMFS

    Posts : 3494
    Points : 3496
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  LMFS Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:15 am

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    LMFS wrote:
    GunshipDemocracy wrote:http://redstar.ru/po-puti-obnovleniya/
    Thanks for the interview, very interesting

    Sincere question: where is the part of the new deck fighter? He talks about new fighters until 2020 (MiGs) and then until 2030 to upgrade the ones shore-based (modernize Su-30SM?) dunno


    На втором этапе (2021–2030 годы) будут продолжены модернизация всего парка самолётов и вертолётов морской авиации и переоснащение самолётов истребительно-штурмовой авиации берегового базирования,будет начато серийное производство перспективного авиационного патрульного комплекса, перспективного многоцелевого вертолётного комплекса берегового и корабельного базирования, боевого вертолёта корабельного базирования. На вооружение морской авиации должны поступить корабельные самолёты радиолокационного дозора, беспилотные летательные аппараты корабельного базирования, перспективный авиационный комплекс корабельной авиации.



    At the second stage (2021–2030), the modernization of the entire fleet of naval aviation aircraft and helicopters and the retrofitting of coast-based fighter aircraft will be continued.
    There is going to begin a serial production of a promising aviation patrol complex, a promising multipurpose coastal and ship-based helicopter complex, and a ship-based combat helicopter.The naval aviation should be supplied with a shipborne radar patrol aircraft, ship-based unmanned aerial vehicles, and a prospective airborne complex of shipborne aviation.


    By analogy to PAK FA

    Perspektivny Aviatsionny Kompleks Frontovoy Aviatsii, lit. ''prospective aeronautical complex of front-line air forces
    Перспективный авиационный комплекс фронтовой авиации,

    he was talking about
    перспективный авиационный комплекс корабельной авиации- Perspektivny Aviatsionny Kompleks Korabelnoy Aviatsii - prospective airborne complex of shipborne aviation (PAK KA ?)
    Oh thanks. By elimination of other roles we could think it will be a fighter but it is a bit uncertain yet
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 4961
    Points : 4985
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  GunshipDemocracy Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:48 am

    GarryB wrote:

    Excellent, so you clearly agree the Russians don't make their carriers like western carriers, so they need a much bigger carrier to get enough fighters on board to be useful... I knew you would come around...

    yes! and those carriers were called TAKRS and were built to carry VSTOL lol1 lol1 lol1




    LMFS wrote:Oh thanks. By elimination of other roles we could think it will be a fighter but it is a bit uncertain yet

    of course it could be a drone fighter (like this tiny one on Sukhoi R&d form TV) , but I dont think 6gen will come so quick.
    avatar
    kumbor

    Posts : 302
    Points : 298
    Join date : 2017-06-09

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  kumbor Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:12 am

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    kumbor wrote:
    QE - 0 fighters combat operational until 2026,

    any official data?



    Kumbor wrote: and with new mad idea of SSBN building, surface fleet will be crippled beyond any chance of repair in anytime.

    after wiki

    The Royal Navy is the principal naval warfare service branch of the British Armed Forces. As of November 2018, there are 75 commissioned ships in the Royal Navy. 20 of the commissioned vessels are major surface combatants (six guided missile destroyers, 13 frigates and one aircraft carrier), and 10 are nuclear-powered submarines (four ballistic missile submarines and six fleet submarines). In addition the Navy possesses two amphibious transport docks, 13 mine countermeasures vessels, 23 patrol vessels, four survey vessels, one icebreaker and two historic warships (Victory and Bristol).


    nto that bad to me.

    Or Russia where perceptive of 22350 building look rather good? There is no "chance of repair anytime" , thsi is the matter of couple of years and money only.




    kumbor wrote: Or UK, or England itself "after secession of Scotland" will be unable to support any kind of navy beyond simple coast guard! Small, stinky, joke of a state island if not only as an "Airstrip one" from Orwell`s 1984.

    There will be no secession of UK.  Regardless on whether Scots want or not. Same with Brexit. So what that the majority was for EU?

    Please compare with the status of early 70s -
    2 fleet carriers
    4 other carriers - centaur, hermes, albion, bulwark
    approx 80 destroyers/frigates
    20+ smaller A/S vessels - light frigates/corvettes
    4 SSBNs
    10 SSNs
    13 SSKs
    Viable amphibious and transport force of various ships.

    Today, with 19 destroyers/frigates. no matter how cosmically advanced and equipped they are, RN cannot defend even their homeland shores, not to mention strategically important Western approaches and vast area of North Atlantic. UK SSNs are among finest, but there are too few of them! Think logically... one ship cannot be on two places at the same time. Sea is vast. sea is cruel, and many ships need refit in regular intervals.
    Not to mention RNs incapability to man even existing naval force. No men to man the ships, low salary, problems with training, lack of funding. Richard Compton Hall and John E Moore even in 80s predicted time when RN will not be capable to support itself. That time has come!
    eehnie
    eehnie

    Posts : 2453
    Points : 2462
    Join date : 2015-05-13

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  eehnie Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:55 pm

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    eehnie wrote:
    For the Russian Naval Aviation is very important to work in the development of unmanned platforms. I expect to be unmanned:

    - The future Maritime Patrol / Airborne Early Warning and Control platforms (most of them shipborne, adapted to the different ship weight categories, to achieve maximum range for every ship size category).

    Very likely both roles can be unified, with more powerful features in the bigger platforms.

    Chief-in-Commnad Naval Aviation Kozhin said PAK KA till 2030 - in 10 years i doubt new VSTOL unmanned fighter will be developed.


    As for AWACS - still question manned or not, VSTOL ot no tis open,  if all ships then tiltrotor would be a logical solution. Not that much worse performance than classic shipborne AWACS but much mor emodest runaway requirements.



    The following references bolded in green, in both the interview to Kozhin and from the Russian Maritime Doctrine of 2015 open the door to what I commented:

    http://redstar.ru/po-puti-obnovleniya/

    - Igor Sergeyevich, if possible, indicate, please, the prospects for the development of naval aviation for a long period of time, for example, until 2050.
    - As I have already mentioned, in naval aviation it is planned to modernize the existing fleet of aircraft and their phased replacement with promising aviation complexes.

    The daily routine of sea pilots.  Photo Vadim Savitsky.

    At the first stage (until 2020), an active modernization of the existing aircraft fleet is carried out.  We are also talking about the replacement of special aircraft with new types of aircraft, the inclusion of assault and transport-assault ship-based helicopters (Ka-52K), naval unmanned aerial vehicles into the combat strength of the naval fighter aircraft units (MiG-29K / KUB).  In total, up to 2020 it is planned to supply more than 100 aircraft to the naval aviation of the Navy.

    At the second stage (2021–2030), the modernization of the entire fleet of naval aviation aircraft and helicopters and the re-equipment of coastal-based fighter-assault aviation aircraft will be continued. home base.  Naval aircraft of the radar patrol, ship-based unmanned aerial vehicles, and a promising naval aviation complex should come into service with naval aviation.

    At the third stage (2031–2050), naval aviation is expected to switch to a new generation of multifunctional aircraft and adopt a new generation of high-precision air-based weapons systems; and patrol plane far zone.  Search and rescue helicopters of the amphibious class of the far zone will be created, including for operations in the Arctic and offshore Arctic seas.

    https://www.russiadefence.net/t7032p50-state-armament-program-2018-2027#211908

    Naval Aviation

    For the Russian Naval Aviation the focus in the first phase will be the development and serial production of an advanced maritime patrol aircraft (MPA) by 2020.

    Additionally, Russia will look to develop and produce a new shore/ship-based multirole helicopter (to replace the Ka-27) and acquire a ship-based combat helicopter (the Ka-52K). Russia will also seek to develop advanced airborne strike systems.

    The second phase will see the deployment of the new Russian ship-based radar surveillance aircraft, ship-based UAVs, and ship-based strike aircraft. The 2021-2030 period will see the Russian Naval Aviation transition to optionally piloted aircraft, including those derived from existing manned aircraft. Obsolete aircraft are to be replaced by modern, multirole manned and unmanned aircraft.

    During the 2031-2050 phase naval aviation focus will switch to a new generation of multirole aircraft and UAVs and field a new generation of airborne precision weapon systems.

    Russia is creating, and will create, multiple prototypes and models of sipborne UAVs, that will be mostly VTOL, unless you think only the aircraft carrier will be able to use them. Every ship will have them. As example the Project 22800 that has not helicopters included, is including Orlan-10 UAVs.

    It will be several models of shipborne UAVs that mostly will have reconnaissance, surveillance, maritime patrol and early warning roles, with different equipment depending of the size. Also it will be some combat UAVs with anti-ship and anti-submarine armament.

    Ships without helipad will have small UAVs, ships with helipad can use UAVs until the size of an helicopter, and the aircraft carriers can have even bigger UAVs of enough size to allow strong Early Warning equipment. And this will make every ship significantly more autonomous in its level.

    At same time, there nothing that allows to assure that the new fighter of the naval aviation will be VTOL or STOVL.
    avatar
    kumbor

    Posts : 302
    Points : 298
    Join date : 2017-06-09

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  kumbor Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:40 pm

    eehnie wrote:
    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    eehnie wrote:
    For the Russian Naval Aviation is very important to work in the development of unmanned platforms. I expect to be unmanned:

    - The future Maritime Patrol / Airborne Early Warning and Control platforms (most of them shipborne, adapted to the different ship weight categories, to achieve maximum range for every ship size category).

    Very likely both roles can be unified, with more powerful features in the bigger platforms.

    Chief-in-Commnad Naval Aviation Kozhin said PAK KA till 2030 - in 10 years i doubt new VSTOL unmanned fighter will be developed.


    As for AWACS - still question manned or not, VSTOL ot no tis open,  if all ships then tiltrotor would be a logical solution. Not that much worse performance than classic shipborne AWACS but much mor emodest runaway requirements.



    The following references bolded in green, in both the interview to Kozhin and from the Russian Maritime Doctrine of 2015 open the door to what I commented:

    http://redstar.ru/po-puti-obnovleniya/

    - Igor Sergeyevich, if possible, indicate, please, the prospects for the development of naval aviation for a long period of time, for example, until 2050.
    - As I have already mentioned, in naval aviation it is planned to modernize the existing fleet of aircraft and their phased replacement with promising aviation complexes.

    The daily routine of sea pilots.  Photo Vadim Savitsky.

    At the first stage (until 2020), an active modernization of the existing aircraft fleet is carried out.  We are also talking about the replacement of special aircraft with new types of aircraft, the inclusion of assault and transport-assault ship-based helicopters (Ka-52K), naval unmanned aerial vehicles into the combat strength of the naval fighter aircraft units (MiG-29K / KUB).  In total, up to 2020 it is planned to supply more than 100 aircraft to the naval aviation of the Navy.

    At the second stage (2021–2030), the modernization of the entire fleet of naval aviation aircraft and helicopters and the re-equipment of coastal-based fighter-assault aviation aircraft will be continued. home base.  Naval aircraft of the radar patrol, ship-based unmanned aerial vehicles, and a promising naval aviation complex should come into service with naval aviation.

    At the third stage (2031–2050), naval aviation is expected to switch to a new generation of multifunctional aircraft and adopt a new generation of high-precision air-based weapons systems; and patrol plane far zone.  Search and rescue helicopters of the amphibious class of the far zone will be created, including for operations in the Arctic and offshore Arctic seas.

    https://www.russiadefence.net/t7032p50-state-armament-program-2018-2027#211908

    Naval Aviation

    For the Russian Naval Aviation the focus in the first phase will be the development and serial production of an advanced maritime patrol aircraft (MPA) by 2020.

    Additionally, Russia will look to develop and produce a new shore/ship-based multirole helicopter (to replace the Ka-27) and acquire a ship-based combat helicopter (the Ka-52K). Russia will also seek to develop advanced airborne strike systems.

    The second phase will see the deployment of the new Russian ship-based radar surveillance aircraft, ship-based UAVs, and ship-based strike aircraft. The 2021-2030 period will see the Russian Naval Aviation transition to optionally piloted aircraft, including those derived from existing manned aircraft. Obsolete aircraft are to be replaced by modern, multirole manned and unmanned aircraft.

    During the 2031-2050 phase naval aviation focus will switch to a new generation of multirole aircraft and UAVs and field a new generation of airborne precision weapon systems.

    Russia is creating, and will create, multiple prototypes and models of sipborne UAVs, that will be mostly VTOL, unless you think only the aircraft carrier will be able to use them. Every ship will have them. As example the Project 22800 that has not helicopters included, is including Orlan-10 UAVs.

    It will be several models of shipborne UAVs that mostly will have reconnaissance, surveillance, maritime patrol and early warning roles, with different equipment depending of the size. Also it will be some combat UAVs with anti-ship and anti-submarine armament.

    Ships without helipad will have small UAVs, ships with helipad can use UAVs until the size of an helicopter, and the aircraft carriers can have even bigger UAVs of enough size to allow strong Early Warning equipment. And this will make every ship significantly more autonomous in its level.

    At same time, there nothing that allows to assure that the new fighter of the naval aviation will be VTOL or STOVL.

    I see that many people on this Forum are great fans of VTOL/STOVL aircraft, but without serious grounds. With existing technology nobody can build VTOL / STOVL aircraft whose performance will be adequate and similar to those of SU-27/MiG29 family, not to mention SU-57. Combat UAVs could be appropriate solution, as technology is quickly progressing in that way!
    eehnie
    eehnie

    Posts : 2453
    Points : 2462
    Join date : 2015-05-13

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  eehnie Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:21 pm

    kumbor wrote:I see that many people on this Forum are great fans of VTOL/STOVL aircraft, but without serious grounds. With existing technology nobody can build VTOL / STOVL aircraft whose performance will be adequate and similar to those of SU-27/MiG29 family, not to mention SU-57. Combat UAVs could be appropriate solution, as technology is quickly progressing in that way!

    Everyone reading my comments regularly knows that my bet for the next generation manned fighter aircraft for the Russian Naval Aviation is the Su-57.

    Combat UAVs can be a solution for smalller ships that have only some helicopter of the Ka-27/28/29/31/32/35 family or have not aerial combat means now. To note that in my previous comment VTOL UAVs include unmanned aircrafts of different configurations like tiltrotors, helicopters,...

    Technologically the main effort to obtain it would be in the development of unmanned control technologies, but this is coming.

    Sponsored content

    Future russian aircraft carriers. #2 - Page 15 Empty Re: Future russian aircraft carriers. #2

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue May 18, 2021 1:38 pm