Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

5 posters

Message for site administrators: Norton Antivirus keeps blocking/warning on various pages.

Firebird

Message for site administrators: Norton Antivirus keeps blocking/warning on various pages. Empty Message for site administrators: Norton Antivirus keeps blocking/warning on various pages.

Post  Firebird Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:40 pm

I'm not sure if this is the best section but for numerous pages here I am getting a red warning from Norton Internet Protection.
    I find I can "accept the risk" and continue, but often I get the same warning again and fail to view the page.
    Its not a problem I'm having on any other website, or have ever had before.
    Sometimes pressing Stop on the browser after the page has mostly loaded allows me to see the page.

I'm guessing its some sort of javascript type problem.
    I've uploaded a pic of the warning.

Message for site administrators: Norton Antivirus keeps blocking/warning on various pages. Norton12

Message for site administrators: Norton Antivirus keeps blocking/warning on various pages. Norton13
    franco
    franco

Message for site administrators: Norton Antivirus keeps blocking/warning on various pages. Empty Re: Message for site administrators: Norton Antivirus keeps blocking/warning on various pages.

Post  franco Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:42 pm

I get the same and have for quite awhile.

Probable that damn NSA tracker Suspect
    kvs
    kvs

Message for site administrators: Norton Antivirus keeps blocking/warning on various pages. Empty Re: Message for site administrators: Norton Antivirus keeps blocking/warning on various pages.

Post  kvs Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:46 pm

Probably related to my problem even though I have no warning windows. I get a few moments of normal use and then all
    of my page loading comes to a crawl. My PC has a 32 gigabytes of RAM and a fast six core processor and I have nothing
    else running or opened. And I can trivially verify that no other web page is responding like molasses, so it is not an internet
    connectivity problem.

However, Firefox always demotes this website from the quick access menu when you click on the main address bar on top.
    Other sites that I almost never visit persist forever. I suspect there is code in Firefox to attack anything with the word
    "Russia" in it.

Backman likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:41 am

That error message lists a script that it is objecting to... is there any way you can click on that link and get the full link so I can see what script is the problem.

Note, to be clear I have put no scripts in this forum and do not have any sneaky tracking features at admin level except being able to view IP addresses.

AFAIK Vlad has not put any scripts in either.... this forum is built on a free to use discussion forum module that was written and created by someone else.

Regarding Mozilla, I am using it myself and have had no problems at all.

One factor that might be influencing any issues is that I am stuck with a very old version of Firefox... 66.0.3 in fact, because I use a very old version of Linux Mint that is stable and does everything I need it for.... I don't play many modern games any more...

Perhaps a solution is to get an old computer... mine is an old intel core 2 duo 3 ghz computer with 2GBs of RAM that I have connected to the internet for email and internet use, and just use old firefox... Smile

The sooner alternative software in terms of operating systems and web browsers becomes available the better.

I do remember installing a good web browser for a friend called Torch... it seemed rather good and was a rather small file.

The reality is that web browsers are generally free so to make money they have to earn their keep... and most of them do that by spying on you to generate commercially useful customer information... they are not planning to invade you, but your habits and online information are worth money to some people doing marketing and advertising...

These are both serious issues that members should be aware of so I will move this to a more appropriate section later... so if it disappears from the chat section don't get suspicious... Smile

Firebird likes this post

Firebird

Post  Firebird Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:52 am

Thanks for your info Garry.
    Having been a member here for a long time I know  none of the admins here are up to anything wrong.
    I'm using Firefox and Norton and as I recall.. on a newer PC I don't get the warning. Infact its only appeared in the last couple of weeks.
    My guess is that Norton is being overzealous. I have had  a similar thing with a couple of mainstream sites in the past.
    Alternatively, it may be that some anti-Russian dick is playing silly games.
    The other alternative is that sometimes antiviruses get confused on stuff written outside of English or outside of the Latin alphabet.
    I know nothing on this but I know Java has holes and perhaps this is down to Java?

PS Strangely, the problem is a US based site, hosted on Godaddy!

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/another-site-keeps-randomly-redirecting-me-it
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:41 pm

"PS Strangely, the problem is a US based site, hosted on Godaddy!"

I rest my case, the NSA is doing it Very Happy

GarryB and Firebird like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:27 am

In your case Firebird, Norton is a security programme that is looking for signatures of viruses and trojans and other malicious code, so it screens large volumes of scripts on every page.

It is not looking for the word Russia or Putin because it would find more than a few problems with this site and many others too.

What it has done is found a javascript programme or command that it find suspicious and is warning you about it.

I am in the process of looking in to some of the java in this forum because I have been asked to make other video content providers available for posting other than Youtube and Dailymotion... though that might not be this year...

I am not going to go through all the js in the forum and vet out components because most are fully interlinked so removing some bits could break other bits and I don't want to screw things up.

kvs's problem with Firefox slowing down might be something else though... maybe the Canadian government has ordered a slow down of their internet speeds for specific websites....   I am joking... but it is not impossible.

Was going to move this but I might just make it sticky for this section so hopefully people will read and take note...

Firebird likes this post

Firebird

Post  Firebird Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:10 pm

I've started opening the "problem" threads with Private Mode in Firefox instead of normal mode.

There is no problem at all that way. So that would lend credence to the suggestion its Norton being overzealous.
    Anyway, my point for visitors is that the site is completely safe.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:13 pm

I transfer it to the announcements section

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 pm