Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian IRST/DAS/FLIR technology

limb

Russian IRST/DAS/FLIR technology Empty Russian IRST/DAS/FLIR technology

Post  limb on Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:43 am

How has the Russian IRST tech progressed? Is it still the world leader?

I read that the French PIRATE IRST has 150+km detection range at front aspect, but I can't find any info on the latest Russian IRSTs.

Also general russian IR imaging tech thread
    Isos
    Isos

Russian IRST/DAS/FLIR technology Empty Re: Russian IRST/DAS/FLIR technology

Post  Isos on Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:01 pm

PIRATE is for Eurofighter Typhion. Not french at all.

French have the OSF for the Rafale.

Su-35 IRST has a 90km range (for export). IIRC it is the same tech as the one on Rafale.

It will be quite difficult to compare and find open data on them. That's quite secret. Only countries operaring bith system can make real comparison like Egypt or India.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:30 am

As mentioned it is pretty hard to compare really but I would suggest one factor you would need to keep in mind... detecting a target at 150km range is a useful thing but if it is stealthy and your radar guided missiles can't get a lock what are you going to do about it?

AFAIK only the French and Russian aircraft have heavy long range IR guided AAMs that could take advantage of such systems.

Obviously detection distance is totally dependent on the target... I would suggest a super cruising target would be easier to spot at range because of the altitude and friction heating.

I seem to remember that the MiG-25 was able to detect SR-71s with IRSTs at ranges greater than their radar could detect them, which was well over 150km, but not many other objects have that sort of flight profile.

The R-40TD was designed specifically for head on shots at SR-71s and potential mach 3 bombers...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:23 pm