Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

PC freezes

Walther von Oldenburg
    Walther von Oldenburg

PC freezes Empty PC freezes

Post  Walther von Oldenburg on 15/07/20, 10:42 pm

Some time ago my PC started freezing for no reason.

IT's always the same - everything runs ok and until 30-40 min there is a freeze. First the curser works but I can't click anything, then after approx. 10s even the cursor freezes.

I have the latest drivers and Win 10. What the f... is going on?
    kvs
    kvs

PC freezes Empty Re: PC freezes

Post  kvs on 15/07/20, 11:10 pm

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Some time ago my PC started freezing for no reason.

IT's always the same - everything runs ok and until 30-40 min there is a freeze. First the curser works but I can't click anything, then after approx. 10s even the cursor freezes.

Either you have RAM corruption, malware (not necessarily functional), or a corrupted windows install. If you have more than
    8 gigabytes of RAM you should be OK. It is possible your video card is old and is having issues although this is not likely.

There are too many variables for any simple diagnosis. You have to go by trial and error and check various components.
    Try a fresh Windows 10 install on an empty SSD and if you do not have the problem then it is something to do with your
    current software as opposed to hardware.

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on 15/07/20, 11:25 pm

If your hard drive data isn't getting corrupted then it could be motherboard

Make backup copy of important stuff before you do anything else

Have you checked your cooler? I had crapload of problems back in a day due to shoddy cooler and CPU overheating, it was manifesting in a similar way

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular on 16/07/20, 02:15 am

Get monitoring software. Observe the spikes. Fix the issue
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on 16/07/20, 08:33 am

Probably not overheating... normally it would just shut down if it was overheating rather than freezing.

Go to an anti virus website that you trust and see if they have any diagnostic tools you can use to remotely scan your computer.

Back up all your important data first.

I am a computer nerd so I have lots of hard drives from old computers, but something that might be useful is to make a bootable USB stick... a 16GB one is big enough for any OS so you can boot up on that and don't access your C drive and see if it happens again.

It would identify if it is hardware or software related...

If it does not freeze then I would reinstall your operating system over the existing one... it shouldn't damage anything but would normally fix corrupted files.

Freezes and lockups were much more common on older machines, but the newer OS generally handle permissions and access... normally it is two or more processes trying to access the same things so they are waiting for the other process to finish so they can use that resource but the other resource is doing the same so there is a conflict.

Check out your hardware manager to make sure there are no hardware conflicts... try updating drivers for your various bits.

When was the first time it happened... was it just after an OS update? or a hardware driver update?

Check the websites for the OS and your major hardware to see if other users are having similar problems... you might need to roll back and update.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 on 16/07/20, 11:48 am

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Some time ago my PC started freezing for no reason.

did u try to run in safe mode?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 11/08/20, 12:17 pm