Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya

Aristide
    Aristide

invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya Empty invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya

Post  Aristide on Sat May 09, 2020 8:16 pm

An invasive plant from South America currently destroys Uganda.

The plant called water hyazinth or Eichornia was introduced by british and french botanists because its beauty. In the last decades the plant caused mroe and more ecological desasters. It covers gigantic areas of
    lake victoria

invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya Eichhornia_crassipes_field_at_Langkawi

It floats in the surface and forms massive swimming "islands"

invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya 0002098

One of those "islands", as big as 9 football fields" ripped lose by mid april and drifted to the Nalubaale, Kiira and Bujagali hydropower dams. The intakes of all 3 dams got blocked.

Entire Uganda electric grid collapsed and the country runs completly on emergency power generators to hold up at least an absolute minimum.

Since all dams are blocked the water level of lake Victoria rises evry day. Its now 13 meters above average and breaches the record. More and more land of the shoreline is flooded.

The flooding causes a death cycle. More and mroe Eichhornia islands break off and drift into the sea, blocking even more, which rises the water level further and causes more islands to float on the
    lake.

The water level has risen so high, that it backlashs into Kenya. So far over 150.000 houses got destroyed. 300 people died already and many thousands are missing.

There are heavy rainfalls reported in the entire region which will make the nile pump more water into the lake. In next weeks all 3 dams could collapse.

UNO send an emergency warning, stating that this desaster could led to death of many million people, not just by the direct effects but also starving, since the harvest is destroyed.

Today Uganda capital Kampala started to flood and reached the quarter of the rich Munyonyo.

Lake Victoria swallows Uganda now. Well...looks like shitty chinese hydropower dams are going to bite them in the ass now.

invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya Part-of-Speke-Resort-Munyonyo-is-flooded

invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya Rl8ykLsLZeshgQoiJC21f7-aVHL7pqA7wRj7RIbD3Bu7wFclR_YlUVbX-Hc7gKPMGms8CgD5i3UEBbaL659deS1Wxz8=s1000

invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya FB_IMG_1586677590394

invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya IMG-20200421-WA0007-560x600

Ugandas most luxurious hotel, the Serena Kigo Hotel, which was build in hope to bring tourism to Uganda is now swallowed by Lake Victoria

invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya Serena
    GarryB
    GarryB

invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya Empty Re: invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya

Post  GarryB on Sun May 10, 2020 5:06 am

Hahahaha... British and French assholes introduced a weed that is devastating lakes, but you blame the Chinese for building dams to provide electrical power to the country.

Perhaps the local people should just get on a bus and then a boat and go an live in the UK and France on welfare...

A very good analogy of european colonialism... ruin a place and then blame everyone else but yourself for it...

The more things change the more they stay the same...
    Aristide
    Aristide

invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya Empty Re: invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya

Post  Aristide on Sun May 10, 2020 5:46 am

GarryB wrote:Hahahaha... British and French assholes introduced a weed that is devastating lakes, but you blame the Chinese for building dams to provide electrical power to the country.

Perhaps the local people should just get on a bus and then a boat and go an live in the UK and France on welfare...

A very good analogy of european colonialism... ruin a place and then blame everyone else but yourself for it...

The more things change the more they stay the same...

Have you ever before heared that a flower makes an entire country collapse? No?

Me neither.

1. China doesnt provide dams for electrical power, they probide dams to colonise the country. Enslave it financial and exploit it to the bones. There is a reason for the massive rise of anti chinese protests all over africa.

2. Its easier for people from africa now to reach New Zealand than Uk or France. Remember, we pay war lords in Libya to deal with them. Unspeakable horrors happen in the sahara and those who make it are locked in libya, because all ngo ships are locked and they are left to drown on the med, so no option. But im sure Jacinda wants them.

3. Its africa. They never figure stuff out and let problems escalate. Water hyazinths float on the surface and can easily be removed with machines. They are rich in nitrogen and make eccelent fertilizer. But they dont do that. They just sit and watch.
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sun May 17, 2020 10:36 am

I lived in the shores of lake Victoria in Homa bay Kenya and I have also lived in Uganda. I still visit often. Yes the plant is a problem and just like Nile perch isn't native to lake Victoria (it was introduced someone thought it great idea) has devastated talapia fish.

This plant does indeed swarm the coastline and causes at times no boat movement between mainland and islands. But it's not the Chinese fault for building dams. Also just so you know the Serena hotel in Uganda is in the center of Kampala and not near the shore. Anyone who has ever lived in East Africa will tell when it rains there it's very heavy rain. The problem isn't this plant in that regard it's poor drainage and plastic etc blocking them also. In fact a bigger disaster on the lake is the amount of pollution that flows into it in Homa bay all drainage ditches flow into it bringing with it plastic etc and this causes fish sticks to dwindle and this in turn reduces fisherman's catch and pushes up the price of fish and causes food poverty in the area homa bay has one of the worst if not worst HIV rates in East Africa with 70% of population compare that to some other towns in Kenya of just 6-7% rate. And poverty has to blame sex for fish is common practice. This plant does help at times help sustain a calm lake less waves etc but then the down side is far worse. There is also other plants that grow amongst this plant as well.

I spoken to many about this issue this plant the problem is money and sustainability of any project. I see an easy solution to this problem. Pull the plant into a processing facility and remove leaves etc turn into fertilisers and the stalks can be turned into charcoal because that's the main source of cooking fuel and it's far better using that than wood which is another issue facing East Africa chopping tress down for charcoal. So in effect you could tackle two issues with one solution and provide cheap fertilisers for farming. Win win situation but who will invest in such project?
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Sun May 17, 2020 11:31 am

Surely the dams have overflow sluices?
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sun May 17, 2020 11:50 am

JohninMK wrote:Surely the dams have overflow sluices?

There is no dams in or near lake Victoria where this plant is found. I have never seen it on large rivers as the plant doesn't live in such environment I believe it grows in ponds lakes slow moving waters not big rivers where these dams are located, and these river flow into lake Victoria. I have never heard of this plant causing trouble off lake Victoria. In Uganda there is dams just off lake Victoria but these are huge and I would imagine this plant wouldn't cause problems.

Just spoke to my friend and talked about this just up the road from Homa Bay in Kisumu their is a small company that uses it as biogas. So after him telling me this I did some research found this.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/aug/27/kenya-water-hyacinth-wonder-source-biofuel
    Aristide
    Aristide

Post  Aristide on Sun May 17, 2020 12:26 pm

JohninMK wrote:Surely the dams have overflow sluices?

Well when a floating island the size of 9 football fields gets stuck, i assume the overflow gets stucked as well
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun May 17, 2020 1:24 pm

Stuff floating in your bath is the last to go down the plug hole when you empty the bath, so as long as the lakes never completely empty there should not be any problems.

As mentioned there are clever solutions to the problem, but I am sure the locals should still go to Europe, because they have the best AIDS medication and they are so warm and friendly to strangers...

I hear Micron himself greets immigrants on the beach with wine and biscuits...

Haven't heard much from the little french dwarf, is he still in power?

BTW thanks for some intelligent input in this thread d_taddei2... really revived it... it was sinking fast.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Sun May 17, 2020 1:31 pm

Generally sluices are open topped just so they can't get blocked by 'normal' stuff like trees etc. They look like a river going over a weir and the water behaves as Garry describes.

Part of their function is to prevent this very situation, excess buildup of water endangering the dam. We need pictures of the dams not the flooding.

As to who might help, how about the downstream countries who need the river flow as well and who definitely don't want a sudden flood to endanger their dams?

I hate saying it but it seems to be typical of the mismanagement so prevalent in government projects in Africa. I kind of assume that these plants were introduced around a hundred years ago so are not a sudden, out of left field, problem.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos on Sun May 17, 2020 2:23 pm

9 football fields is not big. They can use such boats and modify them to cut the plant under water and collect it. 2 days and there is no more plants... but africans always wait for the "whites" to do the job.

invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya Penich10
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sun May 17, 2020 3:50 pm

lol, thanks GarryB

lake victoria is actually quite volatile and waves can be big enough to topple fishermens boats. so this stuff does get around and blocks fishermen, and transportation boats. It starves oxygen from the water and great hiding place for hippos and crocs not good for humans.

its got nothing to do with waiting for whites (mzgungus as there called in east africa) its that when you other bigger issues this tends to come low down the pecking order. and you have to remember its still very tribal in east Africa, the president isnt from the west and is pretty much hated there and the feeling is mutual. This is the same for Uganda and Ethiopia the countries ive lived in. you move round the country and u can esily tell which part of the country the ruling president is from (and most have been in power for decades).

I know in thika delmonte have massive lands full of pineapple and at least 97% in canned or put into juice carton and shipped abroad the rest is used for other delmonte products destined for kenya and uganda (juice cartons) the problem they had was the leftover plant material is very tough and takes a long time to decompose so they opened a small factory to turn it into charcoal. i havent seen the finished product but saw the factory in passing by.

there is many solutions out there its just the money and investment. the biggest number issue is corruption and i said it many times if African countries reduced their corruption by at least 90% the countries would be 30-50yrs more developed. i have seen roads not finished because of corruption anything from a road stopping short and 95% of the build complete because of corruption and i have seen roads only 10% complete when funds are stolen by corruption. its does my head in. i would refuse all aid unless done by foreigners or done by vetted non corrupt Africans (sadly there isnt many) and if their government doesnt comply then zero funding. you cant even send food as the people distributing will sell half of it and keep another quarter of it, leaving 25% left for aid. all those clothes people donate to charity and clothing banks you all know it doesnt get given away. Its wrapped up in bundles and sold to clothing sellers. i quite often bought my clothes from them and got some good stuff as they dont know good and bad brands its all one price s one price shirts one price trousers regardless of brand. so dont think ur giving items away to the poor ur not. unless you give direct to a proper charity who is sending a container and they distribute to a poor village as aid and even then you will witness corruption to an extend.

many solutions out there for many problems and african countries are a bit like a blank canvass and have the chance to make a change and practice good habits before they embrace the bad habits of the west.
    Aristide
    Aristide

Post  Aristide on Sun May 17, 2020 4:04 pm

GarryB wrote:Stuff floating in your bath is the last to go down the plug hole when you empty the bath, so as long as the lakes never completely empty there should not be any problems.

As mentioned there are clever solutions to the problem, but I am sure the locals should still go to Europe, because they have the best AIDS medication and they are so warm and friendly to strangers...

I hear Micron himself greets immigrants on the beach with wine and biscuits...

Haven't heard much from the little french dwarf, is he still in power?

BTW thanks for some intelligent input in this thread d_taddei2... really revived it... it was sinking fast.

Typical "Gary physics" of his personal wonder world. Guess the strict COVID-19 lockdown Jacinda put on you has had its toll?

Now let us warp out of Kiwitopia and head back to reality. When water is pulled at the surface, it pushs with it what is floating with it until it gets stuck at a barrier. There the stuff accumulates and thats it. Plop and sealed. Once stuff gets stuck, more and more gets stuck, which reduces the suction forces until near zero.

As for solutions, of course there are solutions. Thing is, we speak about Uganda. People there tend to just sit down and let things escalate to where they lead to total collapse.

So here are some articles and pictures of the event, which according to GArys bathtub physics cant be

https://www.ceo.co.ug/uganda-braces-for-2-weeks-of-load-shedding-as-second-island-blocks-nalubaale-and-kiira-dams-knocking-off-100mw/

Just days after a floating island interrupted power generation at Jinja’s Nalubaale Hydro Power Dam (180MW) and Kiira Hydro Power Dam (200MW), last night, a second floating island made a landfall.

This is as engineers were finalising clean-up efforts from the first island impact.

The second island broke off from another bigger chunk of landmass that was headed for the dams, but engineers had successfully shoved it off to a nearby pier, pending and dredging and excavation operation the next day (today).

“During the President’s visit yesterday, the second floating island was pushed towards Jinja Pier to be removed. However, given the adverse weather conditions caused by the heavy and windy rains last night and this morning, a part of the island broke off and floated towards Nalubaale dam,” tweeted Eskom Uganda Limited.

It is now feared that the remaining floating island is also on its way to the two dams and could destabilise generation at the two dams, slowing down output at the two dams which are interconnected. Clean-up efforts, at the 2 dams could also partially impact generation at the nearby Bujagali Dam (250 MW) located 8 km downstream, in the northwest of the Nalubaale/Kiira complex.

Already, Uganda Electricity Transmission Company Limited (UETCL) which buys power from Eskom and evacuates it to Umeme for onward distribution, has announced on Twitter that is effecting what it called “emergency load shedding due to further deterioration of plant capabilities at Bujagali, Kiira and Eskom.”

It said most cooling systems at the two dams are out for cleaning.

invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya Nalubaale-Dam-1024x576

invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya FF0F2F2E-6D50-4AF0-A09A-78723405B2C4

invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya KloOV--QXr3Q-eHD

That picture is interesting. Looks like in between the Eichhornia plants is also Papyrus. This explains a lot. Paparus is very tall and riggid and basicly functions like interwebbing which holds the eichhornia together once they block the dams

invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya 1a559201-6bba-418c-957a-3ec81c603b53

invasive plant triggers catastrophy in Uganda and Kenya EVj2zvIWsAEfEbq
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sun May 17, 2020 5:00 pm

Papyrus is everywhere in Uganda that sees rain even parts of gulu has it and is always found next to northern bypass were many people grow plants to sell to customers. As I said earlier other plants grow within the hyacinth.

I disagree with your point on Ugandans sitting around on their arse. There is huge unemployment among the youth and people want to work and people do work even the most toughest jobs for little money.  I am happy to share a video I took of a woman who I was chatting to in soroti  who was breaking rocks by hand to sell for 20 litres of small stones she gets 100 ugx about 2 pence (GBP) she ain't lazy.  The problems I stated above is the real issue behind this number one corruption and two priorities.

So what is the purpose of this thread is it just a piece of news or you want to discuss solutions?

Please see the video from my YouTube channel dtads tads

Aristide
    Aristide

Post  Aristide on Sun May 17, 2020 8:19 pm

d_taddei2 wrote:Papyrus is everywhere in Uganda that sees rain even parts of gulu has it and is always found next to northern bypass were many people grow plants to sell to customers. As I said earlier other plants grow within the hyacinth.

I disagree with your point on Ugandans sitting around on their arse. There is huge unemployment among the youth and people want to work and people do work even the most toughest jobs for little money.  I am happy to share a video I took of a woman who I was chatting to in soroti  who was breaking rocks by hand to sell for 20 litres of small stones she gets 100 ugx about 2 pence (GBP) she ain't lazy.  The problems I stated above is the real issue behind this number one corruption and two priorities.

So what is the purpose of this thread is it just a piece of news or you want to discuss solutions?

I know Madagascar from personal visits and can tell you how things are there.

Mssive corruption of unimaginable scale. Problems stay unsolved because nobody feels responsible.

Form my perspective it appeared for me that the women in Madagascar are incredible hard workers. But the men are almost all lazy. Sitting around, driking. While their women work hard on the fields, care for the kids and do hard work even in building houses. I assume its same in most african countries.

From what the pictures show the Hyacinth alone is not the problem but the combination with Papyrus creates that desaster. The hyazint provides the massive amount of biomatter, while the Papyrus inter conencts them and creates those large and rather rigid floating islands.

I wonder why they dont use the Hyacinth as a rescoruce. It has many psoitive aspects. It filters stuff out of the water and by removing the plant, you remove the negative chemicals as well. It can be used as fertilizer and when dried up, they can use it for fire. It grows incredible fast and is basicly easy to harvest when you use the right methods.

In South america its even used for making textiles and because it ferments very good, it is used for bio gas plants.
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sun May 17, 2020 10:21 pm

Aristide wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:Papyrus is everywhere in Uganda that sees rain even parts of gulu has it and is always found next to northern bypass were many people grow plants to sell to customers. As I said earlier other plants grow within the hyacinth.

I know Madagascar from personal visits and can tell you how things are there.

Mssive corruption of unimaginable scale. Problems stay unsolved because nobody feels responsible.

Form my perspective it appeared for me that the women in Madagascar are incredible hard workers. But the men are almost all lazy. Sitting around, driking. While their women work hard on the fields, care for the kids and do hard work even in building houses. I assume its same in most african countries.

From what the pictures show the Hyacinth alone is not the problem but the combination with Papyrus creates that desaster. The hyazint provides the massive amount of biomatter, while the Papyrus inter conencts them and creates those large and rather rigid floating islands.

I wonder why they dont use the Hyacinth as a rescoruce. It has many psoitive aspects. It filters stuff out of the water and by removing the plant, you remove the negative chemicals as well. It can be used as fertilizer and when dried up, they can use it for fire. It grows incredible fast and is basicly easy to harvest when you use the right methods.

In South america its even used for making textiles and because it ferments very good, it is used for bio gas plants.

Not all of African is the same. I've been to Egypt, Morocco, Ethiopia, Somaliland Kenya and Uganda not all the same. In ug many men work hard and it's different to Kenya where men only do certain jobs in Uganda u can find men women doing all kinds of jobs.

U might think it's straight forward but it's not this is Africa. So corruption can stop a project before it starts. Although they are getting better in terms of using useful ideas. Left over maize cobs are used for burning and rabbit farming is going well they don't eat the rabbit they collect the urine which a powerful fertilisers and is mixed with other fertilisers. Large companies buy for around $6-7 a litre. Most people have some kind of solar system from a light to low powered TV run using solar. Africans aren't stupid I know a woman who makes school bags from waste plastic. But all these great ideas are small scale for now.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:42 pm