Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    TMA1
    TMA1

    Posts : 198
    Points : 200
    Join date : 2020-11-30

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  TMA1 Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:49 am

    I personally think it is endearing and it is because you want powerful names. Whirlwind, Barrier, Hunter, Golden Eagle, etc... Ruskies have a certain set they love.

    Atmosphere and Russian_Patriot_ like this post

    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 11077
    Points : 11151
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  PapaDragon Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:16 pm

    Russian_Patriot_ wrote:Photos from the construction site in Dubna of the first Russian plant for the serial production of UAVs of the Kronstadt company.

    The start of production is scheduled for November 2021...
    ....

    Not surprising

    After seeing Orion perform in Syria VKS loves Orion, wants to marry Orion, make sweet love to Orion and buy all Orions that Kronstadt can ever make



    TMA1 wrote:I personally think it is endearing and it is because you want powerful names. Whirlwind, Barrier, Hunter, Golden Eagle, etc... Ruskies have a certain set they love.

    Dude, this is nothing

    You should see Serbian Military naming system, it's a comedy show 80% of the time (fortunately products are better than they sound)

    Mir
    Mir

    Posts : 318
    Points : 320
    Join date : 2021-06-10

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Mir Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:41 pm

    I've just finished watching Combat Approved's documentary on large UAV's. They even mention the IL-112 as a soon to be a UAV. Very nice indeed.

    Unfortunately the English subtitles are missing atm but there is the usual English commentary.  


    Last edited by Mir on Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

    GarryB likes this post

    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 29853
    Points : 30381
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  GarryB Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:05 pm

    Why must every piece of equipment be called hunter, shkval, or grom.

    Usually because of the role the item is intended for... I mean you can be smart and name it after what it is for... so you might call an exoskeleton system Derrick, but for attack drones then you might have a theme of naming them after birds so it would have to be a bird of prey...

    It also should inspire... confidence in the users and a little fear in the enemy... so fat arse or lazy bitch really don't make sense, whereas names for weather or sea states are powerful.

    For anti ship missiles they like Minerals... Zirconium (Zircon), Onyx (Onyx), Jewel (Yakhont), Malachite (Malakit (mineral)), Granite (Granit), Amitist (Amethist)...

    But then there are others like Blizzard (Metel) Mosquito (Moskit) and Termite (Termit).

    After seeing Orion perform in Syria VKS loves Orion, wants to marry Orion, make sweet love to Orion and buy all Orions that Kronstadt can ever make

    Why not... the performance of a recon aircraft for a fraction of the operational costs...

    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 29853
    Points : 30381
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  GarryB Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:17 pm

    @Mir there is a Youtube button to embed YT videos in the line of tools above where you enter text for posting... the button is red and white and black with a white top half with You in black text and a red bottom half and tube written in white text... if you go to the youtube video you want to post and copy its full address and then click on this button it shows a text box for the link... paste the address in the URL box and click the insert button and it will show this:

    Mir
    Mir

    Posts : 318
    Points : 320
    Join date : 2021-06-10

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Mir Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:23 pm

    Thanks Gary! cheers
    Mir
    Mir

    Posts : 318
    Points : 320
    Join date : 2021-06-10

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Mir Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:59 pm

    GarryB wrote:

    After seeing Orion perform in Syria VKS loves Orion, wants to marry Orion, make sweet love to Orion and buy all Orions that Kronstadt can ever make

    Why not... the performance of a recon aircraft for a fraction of the operational costs...


    One area that Russia was really lagging behind and are now catch up RAPIDLY!

    I see the link for the above video has now changed from my original one so the subtitles issue might have been corrected?

    GarryB likes this post

    avatar
    limb

    Posts : 260
    Points : 268
    Join date : 2020-09-17

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  limb Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:32 pm

    TMA1 wrote:I personally think it is endearing and it is because you want powerful names. Whirlwind, Barrier, Hunter, Golden Eagle, etc... Ruskies have a certain set they love.
    I liked the more quaint and less bombastic soviet naming conventions. Modern names for russian and American equipment come straight out of an action Hollywood movie.

    I especially liked the soviet naming conventions for anti-aircraft systems, ATGMsand SPGs, where they would be named after flowers or trees. Nothing like being destroyed by 203 mm peonys or chrysanthemums sunny

    Meanwhile such NATO systems had cool aggressive names like dragon, hawk, patriot, roland, paladin yet they all turned out to be inferior to soviet innocently named soviet equivalents and even downright garbage.

    On a separate note, the soviet tradition of naming submarine projects after sea creatures is dead which is an absolute shame

    TMA1 likes this post

    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 11077
    Points : 11151
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  PapaDragon Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:20 pm

    limb wrote:...Meanwhile such NATO systems had cool aggressive names like dragon, hawk, patriot, roland, paladin yet they all turned out to be inferior to soviet  innocently named soviet equivalents and even downright garbage...

    NATO is still around

    USSR is long decomposed

    So let's keep things in perspective, having limp-dicked names for equipment may not have killed USSR but it sure a shit didn't help the situation either

    avatar
    limb

    Posts : 260
    Points : 268
    Join date : 2020-09-17

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  limb Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:06 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    limb wrote:...Meanwhile such NATO systems had cool aggressive names like dragon, hawk, patriot, roland, paladin yet they all turned out to be inferior to soviet  innocently named soviet equivalents and even downright garbage...

    NATO is still around

    USSR is long decomposed

    So let's keep things in perspective, having limp-dicked names for equipment may not have killed USSR but it sure a shit didn't help the situation either



    You completely missed the point.



    Anyways,

    how does the grom compare to the Valkirie given they have very similar layouts? Would the grom be redundant with the okhotnik in service?
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 11077
    Points : 11151
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  PapaDragon Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:17 pm

    limb wrote:how does the grom compare to the Valkirie given they have very similar layouts? Would the grom be redundant with the okhotnik in service?

    Don't know what Valkirie is exactly but Grom and Ohothnik are nowhere near the same weight class

    Grom is to be fast but it's pretty small

    Ohotnik is absolutely huge with massive range

    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 7642
    Points : 7626
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Isos Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:18 pm

    Grom is subsonic.
    avatar
    limb

    Posts : 260
    Points : 268
    Join date : 2020-09-17

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  limb Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:46 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    limb wrote:how does the grom compare to the Valkirie given they have very similar layouts? Would the grom be redundant with the okhotnik in service?

    Don't know what Valkirie is exactly but Grom and Ohothnik are nowhere near the same weight class

    Grom is to be fast but it's pretty small

    Ohotnik is absolutely huge with massive range


    I meant Kratos XQ-58 Valkyrie
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 11077
    Points : 11151
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  PapaDragon Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:54 pm


    Kratos is USAF loyal wingman program, it's VKS equivalent is Ohotnik

    Grom looks like Kratos but is designed as simpler strike drone

    Atmosphere
    Atmosphere

    Posts : 115
    Points : 117
    Join date : 2021-01-31

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Atmosphere Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:30 pm

    GarryB wrote:
    Why must every piece of equipment be called hunter, shkval, or grom.

    Usually because of the role the item is intended for... I mean you can be smart and name it after what it is for... so you might call an exoskeleton system Derrick, but for attack drones then you might have a theme of naming them after birds so it would have to be a bird of prey...

    It also should inspire... confidence in the users and a little fear in the enemy... so fat arse or lazy bitch really don't make sense, whereas names for weather or sea states are powerful.

    For anti ship missiles they like Minerals... Zirconium (Zircon), Onyx (Onyx), Jewel (Yakhont), Malachite (Malakit (mineral)), Granite (Granit), Amitist (Amethist)...

    But then there are others like Blizzard (Metel) Mosquito (Moskit) and Termite (Termit).

    After seeing Orion perform in Syria VKS loves Orion, wants to marry Orion, make sweet love to Orion and buy all Orions that Kronstadt can ever make

    Why not... the performance of a recon aircraft for a fraction of the operational costs...


    Indeed. Those names are still better than fishbed and frogfoot.
    Su-27's pilot given nickname was crane.

    GarryB likes this post

    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 29853
    Points : 30381
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  GarryB Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:48 pm

    They even mention the IL-112 as a soon to be a UAV.

    If you think about it most transport planes that drop off cargo or troops don't really need pilots or crew on board... fly to the drop zone by autopilot... drop the troops or cargo and then return to base and land and pick up the next load... rinse and repeat.

    Not that they are disposable, but that they are simple and monotonous and could be done by AI.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

    Posts : 4637
    Points : 4723
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  flamming_python Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:04 pm

    The Mi-38 can potentially be made into a UAV

    I think it was designed from the outset to have some sort of very sophisticated autopilot capable of flight and landing

    GarryB likes this post

    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 29853
    Points : 30381
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  GarryB Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:34 am

    Yes, a lot of the newer designs mention the ability to be used in a sort of drone mode where they fly using their own autopilots.

    To be clear drones are not remote control planes where you perform all flight commands from a remote control... that would simply be telecontrol.

    A proper drone flys by itself with information like altitude and speed and direction and waypoints programmed in with the ability to receive corrections.

    Most drones will keep a track of its location and if it is jammed or loses connection with the control signal will often return to the place it was launched from automatically and just land.

    Not sure about the Su-57 when there are S-70s that can do similar things if it is too dangerous for people, but with helicopters or transport aircraft taking essential supplies or perhaps evacuating critical patients or isolated troops it might be valuable to send in unmanned platforms for the job... perhaps organise artillery strikes around the friendly troops to be taken out and then a heavy smoke drop and under cover of that smoke drop send in some unmanned transport helicopters while attack aircraft plaster the area around the pickup point... the Mi-38 has an excellent ceiling capability which would be useful... come down from a very high altitude and pick up the troops and then climb as rapidly as they can...

    Obviously they would need to test and plan for that sort of thing, but it has interesting potential...

    Even a gliding drone with a payload of 20 litres of fresh water and some chocolate bars, that is used to patrol deserts for lost campers/hikers/tourists...

    TMA1 likes this post

    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 7642
    Points : 7626
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Isos Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:22 pm

    ahmedfire and TMA1 like this post

    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 29853
    Points : 30381
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  GarryB Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:28 am

    See post 428 above...

    Isos likes this post

    Rasisuki Nebia
    Rasisuki Nebia

    Posts : 51
    Points : 53
    Join date : 2020-12-25

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Rasisuki Nebia Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:48 am

    Yeah nvm it's the same vid, it's all good though for those that havn't watched it yet
    RTN
    RTN

    Posts : 423
    Points : 400
    Join date : 2014-03-24
    Location : Fairfield, CT

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  RTN Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:35 pm

    UAVs are most dangerous if they enter a major urban center, especially when they are carrying an explosive.

    Let's say you shoot it down with a Verba or Pantsir. It still falls to the ground. The explosive goes off it will kill many civilians in the city.
    Mir
    Mir

    Posts : 318
    Points : 320
    Join date : 2021-06-10

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Mir Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:25 pm

    RTN wrote:UAVs are most dangerous if they enter a major urban center, especially when they are carrying an explosive.

    Let's say you shoot it down with a Verba or Pantsir. It still falls to the ground. The explosive goes off it will kill many civilians in the city.

    For once I agree with you! Smile

    Civilian casualties are normally referred to by the US Administration/Military as "Collateral Damage".

    A staggering 20 million people in 37 countries has been killed by the US since WWII.

    Yesterday you left Afghanistan in the middle of the night without as much as a good bye to your host for the last 20 years + dunno

    miketheterrible, Hole and lyle6 like this post

    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 7642
    Points : 7626
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Isos Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:15 pm

    Not really. Their missile are not powerfull at all and people will escape from the area wheb they see it going down. And it is very likely that the missile explode in the air when hit and burning.
    Rasisuki Nebia
    Rasisuki Nebia

    Posts : 51
    Points : 53
    Join date : 2020-12-25

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Rasisuki Nebia Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:53 am

    Or not explode at all like those TB2 downed in Libya where they still had their munition intact, Regarding Afghanistan those in the army are mostly there because there are no other jobs in the country, they are not there to fight the Taliban, it's not surprising what's happening there, in any case this is just another classic example of American backstabbing and those poor Afghani's that worked for them are left to meet fate.

    Sponsored content

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:41 am