Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Tu-160 "White Swan"

    kvs
    kvs

    Posts : 10285
    Points : 10432
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  kvs Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:40 am

    lancelot wrote:
    kvs wrote:Pretty acceptable?   Two years is miraculous.   Even China with all its massive resources couldn't pull something off like this.  
    As for the USA, it is hard to tell what engine innovation they actually have.   I do not think they evenhave an NK-32 class engine.  
    The GE F101 is basically half of the NK-32.   Given the rot in the US MIC, it would take more than 2 years for even just an
    improved version of GE F101 to be put into service.   And that is without losing the production infrastructure.
    ...

    You are correct. They do not. But the US does have civilian subsonic engines of that weight class (think 787 engines) and larger (think 777X engines).
    They can "simply" use that engine core and militarize it. It won't be as hard as designing a new engine but it won't be as difficult either.
    A Boeing 787 engine has between 28 and 34 ton thrust. A Boeing 777X engine has 48 ton thrust.

    For reference the PD-35 will have 35 ton thrust. So that puts it roughly in the Boeing 787/Airbus A330 class.
    The PD-35 (35 ton) is going to be a new engine based on a scaled up PD-14 (14 ton) core. Not based on NK-32 at all.
    There was talk about using the NK-32 on the CRAIC 929 instead of PD-35.
    But PD-35 should have better performance since it is more modern design.
    It will use a lot of new technologies for Russian engines including carbon composite cold fan blades and SiC (ceramic) hot section parts.

    Western civilian engines have been well ahead of Russian ones for a long time. So the PD-14/35 etc. is a good advance.
    I was thinking in terms of military aviation and here Russia is not doing badly at all.

    avatar
    mnztr

    Posts : 1187
    Points : 1221
    Join date : 2018-01-21

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  mnztr Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:12 pm

    GarryB wrote:
    To operate at mach 4.2 it wont be using a turbofan or turbojet engine except for takeoff and landing... the rotational speed needed to operate at such flight speeds would destroy any conventional turbojet or turbofan engines... it would be like using rubber tires on a motor bike that can travel at mach 1.5... at that rotational speed the rubber would disintegrate causing the bike to crash... the turbine blades in a conventional jet engine can't operate above about mach 2.8 without damage.


    Rotational speed is not directly related to speed of the plane. To get to M 4.2 what you need is exhaust velocity, i.e the exhaust has to exceed M 4.2 and have enough mass to power the plane at that speed. Sure this will be one tricky thing to manage. Its possible a new intake and  exhaust nozzle can be designed with more air bypassing the engine intake and being combined in an afterburner plenium to increase thrust and efficiency of the afterburner. (it would work like a quasi ramjet) exiting thorugh a variable exhaust the exhaust velocity will have to be managed electronically so the engine does not surge. SR-71 used similar ideas. The Mig-25 took a different apporach, it had very low compression ratio, and actually depended on airspeed to increase the effective compression ratio. As a result it was very inefficient at low speed. As the plane speeded up to critical speeds the compressor would become unloaded and could over speed. As well engine temps would skyrocket from compression heating as the effective compression ratio kept rising. You are right that turbines cannot handle supersonic airflows, so the intake can use ramps to reduce the intake volume at speed, or in the case of SR-71 or what I suggest, simply redirect this partially away from the turbine intake and operate like a ramjet.
    LMFS
    LMFS

    Posts : 3784
    Points : 3786
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  LMFS Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:28 am

    mnztr wrote:
    Rotational speed is not directly related to speed of the plane. To get to M 4.2 what you need is exhaust velocity, i.e the exhaust has to exceed M 4.2 and have enough mass to power the plane at that speed. Sure this will be one tricky thing to manage. Its possible a new intake and  exhaust nozzle can be designed with more air bypassing the engine intake and being combined in an afterburner plenium to increase thrust and efficiency of the afterburner. (it would work like a quasi ramjet) exiting thorugh a variable exhaust the exhaust velocity will have to be managed electronically so the engine does not surge. SR-71 used similar ideas. The Mig-25 took a different apporach, it had very low compression ratio, and actually depended on airspeed to increase the effective compression ratio. As a result it was very inefficient at low speed. As the plane speeded up to critical speeds the compressor would become unloaded and could over speed. As well engine temps would skyrocket from compression heating as the effective compression ratio kept rising. You are right that turbines cannot handle supersonic airflows, so the intake can use ramps to reduce the intake volume at speed, or in the case of SR-71 or what I suggest, simply redirect this partially away from the turbine intake and operate like a ramjet.

    This is the ABVCE we have been discussing for a while. Already such engines are claimed to be valid up to 4+ M
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 29860
    Points : 30388
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  GarryB Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:48 am

    Instead, building whole new planes is beneficial for multitude of reasons:
    - re opens production which was lost initially. Meaning more jobs and specialists
    - gives opportunity to re-tool the plant
    - bigger order and thus more money to plant.
    - gives opportunity to seek improvements to the plane in the airframe/structure (more composites)
    - with newly trained specialists, means better opportunity to have a new design and properly working plane in future.

    It creates production of parts and systems in Russia that used to be based in the Ukraine and other former Soviet States... most of which is still based on Soviet era technology and materials and has not been dramatically upgraded.

    New Russian makers can use new technology and design and production techniques etc etc to make it new generation like they have with other items they are producing now with all improved and upgraded components in upgraded tanks and upgraded ships etc but also new designed from scratch tanks and ships etc.

    It means production will take place in brand new Russian factories who can use the new equipment and tooling for other new projects as well with all the money invested invested in a Russian company rather than one located in a different country... with the added bonus of payments in Rubles and no money wasted on currency trading.

    The plant can be scaled to need rather than what the Ukrainians want.

    All new generation tools and materials and design techniques can be applied on these replacement engines and aircraft etc etc to get maximum performance improvement.

    Everything is located in Russia so when it comes to export potential they have the say because they own the design and can control production and dont need permission and are essentially sanction proof.

    It also allows them to compete on the open market in competition with their former suppliers which means potential contracts to support Soviet aircraft in other countries with components that will be related to the new systems in their new products... ie they can provide engines to replace those currently used in their own aircraft that used to be Ukrainian but are also making new engines for new aircraft... both of which they can sell to replace older obsolete Soviet types.

    Rotational speed is not directly related to speed of the plane.

    Of course it is... the two ways to increase airflow through a jet engine is to increase the shaft spin rate or change the angle of the blades on that shaft.... and I am not aware of any jet engines that have variable angle blades all the way through them.

    To get to M 4.2 what you need is exhaust velocity, i.e the exhaust has to exceed M 4.2 and have enough mass to power the plane at that speed. Sure this will be one tricky thing to manage.

    it is trickier than that... they need to slow the velocity of the air going into the engine to subsonic speeds so the fuel can burn in the hot section and then expel the air out the rear of the engine at high speeds to get the thrust needed to move the entire aircraft at that flight speed.

    Being a turbofan a bulk volume of air does not go through the hot section, but even then the top flight speed of the MiG-25 is about Mach 2.84 for about 5 minutes and then you need to slow down.

    As you mention the SR-71 does not run its engines at more than idle speed when flying very fast... it is all bypass ramjet propulsion.

    In both cases it is because the rotational speed needed to achieve flight speed without ramjet tricks will destroy the blades and the engines.

    avatar
    mnztr

    Posts : 1187
    Points : 1221
    Join date : 2018-01-21

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  mnztr Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:54 am

    GarryB wrote:
    Instead, building whole new planes is beneficial for multitude of reasons:
    - re opens production which was lost initially. Meaning more jobs and specialists
    - gives opportunity to re-tool the plant
    - bigger order and thus more money to plant.
    - gives opportunity to seek improvements to the plane in the airframe/structure (more composites)
    - with newly trained specialists, means better opportunity to have a new design and properly working plane in future.

    It creates production of parts and systems in Russia that used to be based in the Ukraine and other former Soviet States... most of which is still based on Soviet era technology and materials and has not been dramatically upgraded.

    New Russian makers can use new technology and design and production techniques etc etc to make it new generation like they have with other items they are producing now with all improved and upgraded components in upgraded tanks and upgraded ships etc but also new designed from scratch tanks and ships etc.

    It means production will take place in brand new Russian factories who can use the new equipment and tooling for other new projects as well with all the money invested invested in a Russian company rather than one located in a different country... with the added bonus of payments in Rubles and no money wasted on currency trading.

    The plant can be scaled to need rather than what the Ukrainians want.

    All new generation tools and materials and design techniques can be applied on these replacement engines and aircraft etc etc to get maximum performance improvement.

    Everything is located in Russia so when it comes to export potential they have the say because they own the design and can control production and dont need permission and are essentially sanction proof.

    It also allows them to compete on the open market in competition with their former suppliers which means potential contracts to support Soviet aircraft in other countries with components that will be related to the new systems in their new products... ie they can provide engines to replace those currently used in their own aircraft that used to be Ukrainian but are also making new engines for new aircraft... both of which they can sell to replace older obsolete Soviet types.

    Rotational speed is not directly related to speed of the plane.

    Of course it is... the two ways to increase airflow through a jet engine is to increase the shaft spin rate or change the angle of the blades on that shaft.... and I am not aware of any jet engines that have variable angle blades all the way through them.

    To get to M 4.2 what you need is exhaust velocity, i.e the exhaust has to exceed M 4.2 and have enough mass to power the plane at that speed. Sure this will be one tricky thing to manage.

    it is trickier than that... they need to slow the velocity of the air going into the engine to subsonic speeds so the fuel can burn in the hot section and then expel the air out the rear of the engine at high speeds to get the thrust needed to move the entire aircraft at that flight speed.

    Being a turbofan a bulk volume of air does not go through the hot section, but even then the top flight speed of the MiG-25 is about Mach 2.84 for about 5 minutes and then you need to slow down.

    As you mention the SR-71 does not run its engines at more than idle speed when flying very fast... it is all bypass ramjet propulsion.

    In both cases it is because the rotational speed needed to achieve flight speed without ramjet tricks will destroy the blades and the engines.


    SR-71 turbine does to run at idle at MACH 3.2, in fact it is still turning at max RPM (which is why I said RPM is not necessarily related to speed). But its true the turbine produces NO THRUST even at MAX RPM. The reason they keep it at max rpm to prevent a surge and run ancilllairies, but reduced fuel is going in there. The reason it produces no thrust is because its exhaust velocity is less then the speed of the plane at this stage.

    The MIG 25 Tumansky R-15 was a full bore turbojet, no bypass at all, which is why you had so much compression heating, in fact the engine depended on this for decent efficiency. Slow and low it was a terrible guzzler.
    Backman
    Backman

    Posts : 838
    Points : 848
    Join date : 2020-11-11

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Backman Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:51 pm

    This is some spiffy engineering right here.

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 1d92a31d0450d6f9c4f62ae42fc6bcca

    George1 likes this post

    kvs
    kvs

    Posts : 10285
    Points : 10432
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  kvs Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:10 pm

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_J58

    The SR-71 engine ain't all that. If over Mach 4 is required, then this engine concept is not the right path.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scramjet

    So much masturbation in that Wiki article. All those demonstrators =/= viable prototypes ready for deployment.

    What is needed is a hybrid engine that operates turbines at low speeds and then bypasses them at high speeds.
    This can be done with apertures in the intake. Note that the scramjet has a place to keep the turbines already.
    This hybrid would not have a turbo-fan design since the fan blades would overlap the supersonic combustion
    conduit.

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 220px-Turbo_ram_scramjet_comparative_diagram.svg

    A variable geometry engine may enable both a ramjet and scramjet regime of operation. This diagram would have
    all three modes merged into one monster. Of course, the variable geometry is not trivial and nobody has done
    it outside of details like thrust vectoring.

    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 29860
    Points : 30388
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  GarryB Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:31 am

    SR-71 turbine does to run at idle at MACH 3.2, in fact it is still turning at max RPM (which is why I said RPM is not necessarily related to speed). But its true the turbine produces NO THRUST even at MAX RPM.

    The big pointy cones in front of the engines of the SR-71 are the key... they can move them forward and back... they move them back to allow max airflow for takeoff and acceleration, but as they get to altitude they move them forward because they block the air going into the jet engine an redirect the airflow around the ramjet bypass channels.

    The max rpm is not even as high as the MiG-25s engines flying at much lower speeds because as you admit it is not capable of producing thrust at its operational speed... and with reduced fuel flow I doubt it could manage top RPM at high speed.
    Hole
    Hole

    Posts : 4269
    Points : 4263
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 45
    Location : Merkelland

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Hole Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:30 pm

    Few pics from the strategic exercise today.

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Strate10
    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Strate11
    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Strate12

    GarryB, franco, George1, zepia and The_Observer like this post

    dino00
    dino00

    Posts : 1591
    Points : 1628
    Join date : 2012-10-12
    Age : 33
    Location : portugal

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  dino00 Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:15 pm

    State tests of the modernized Tu-160 will begin in 2021

    https://iz.ru/1102595/2020-12-21/gosispytaniia-modernizirovannogo-tu-160-nachnutsia-v-2021-godu

    I think this is the version with new engines

    GarryB, Maximmmm and LMFS like this post

    LMFS
    LMFS

    Posts : 3784
    Points : 3786
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  LMFS Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:34 pm

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 277225

    Big_Gazza and zardof like this post

    PhSt
    PhSt

    Posts : 531
    Points : 537
    Join date : 2019-04-02

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  PhSt Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:10 am

    Source: the first Tu-160M ​​built from scratch will take off in the IV quarter of 2021

    MOSCOW, December 30. / TASS /. The first prototype of the deeply modernized strategic missile carrier Tu-160M ​​of the new construction will take off in the 4th quarter of 2021. This was announced on Wednesday by a TASS source in the military-industrial complex.

    "Next year - a new assembly," - said the agency's interlocutor, answering a question about the progress of work on the Tu-160M.

    According to him, the completely new Tu-160M ​​will take to the air "most likely in the 4th quarter of 2021."

    The second prototype of the Tu-160M ​​is undergoing ground tests at the flight test station of the Kazan aircraft plant named after V.I. SP Gorbunova, a source told TASS. "The second [car] at the exit, they are already working out, in the shop ... at the flight test station," the agency's source said, adding that this machine was also made on the basis of the previously built Tu-160, "the agency's source said.

    In early November 2020, the deeply modernized strategic missile carrier Tu-160M ​​made its first flight with new NK-32-02 engines from the airfield of the Kazan aircraft plant named after V. S.P. Gorbunova. According to the UAC, the flight tested the updated general aircraft systems and avionics installed during the aircraft modernization, as well as the performance of the new NK-32 02 series engine.

    Tu-160 is a multi-mode supersonic strategic missile carrier with variable wing geometry. In 2015, it became known about the decision to resume production of the Tu-160 in a modernized version of the Tu-160M. On February 2, the first experienced deeply modernized Tu-160M ​​"Igor Sikorsky", created on the basis of the combatant Tu-160, took to the air for the first time. He received new flight and navigation equipment, an on-board communications complex, a control system, a radar station, and an electronic countermeasures complex.

    George1, dino00, LMFS and lancelot like this post

    Maximmmm
    Maximmmm

    Posts : 276
    Points : 279
    Join date : 2015-07-27
    Location : Switzerland

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Maximmmm Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:29 pm

    PhSt wrote:Source: the first Tu-160M ​​built from scratch will take off in the IV quarter of 2021

    MOSCOW, December 30. / TASS /. The first prototype of the deeply modernized strategic missile carrier Tu-160M ​​of the new construction will take off in the 4th quarter of 2021. This was announced on Wednesday by a TASS source in the military-industrial complex.

    "Next year - a new assembly," - said the agency's interlocutor, answering a question about the progress of work on the Tu-160M.

    According to him, the completely new Tu-160M ​​will take to the air "most likely in the 4th quarter of 2021."

    The second prototype of the Tu-160M ​​is undergoing ground tests at the flight test station of the Kazan aircraft plant named after V.I. SP Gorbunova, a source told TASS. "The second [car] at the exit, they are already working out, in the shop ... at the flight test station," the agency's source said, adding that this machine was also made on the basis of the previously built Tu-160, "the agency's source said.

    In early November 2020, the deeply modernized strategic missile carrier Tu-160M ​​made its first flight with new NK-32-02 engines from the airfield of the Kazan aircraft plant named after V. S.P. Gorbunova. According to the UAC, the flight tested the updated general aircraft systems and avionics installed during the aircraft modernization, as well as the performance of the new NK-32 02 series engine.

    Tu-160 is a multi-mode supersonic strategic missile carrier with variable wing geometry. In 2015, it became known about the decision to resume production of the Tu-160 in a modernized version of the Tu-160M. On February 2, the first experienced deeply modernized Tu-160M ​​"Igor Sikorsky", created on the basis of the combatant Tu-160, took to the air for the first time. He received new flight and navigation equipment, an on-board communications complex, a control system, a radar station, and an electronic countermeasures complex.

    I'm really happy to see how quickly this entire project got going, seeing some of the long-term problems in the industry such as the new Il-76 variant, the Il-112, lack of an AN-124 replacement and hell especially all the problems that Kuznetsov themselves had I would not have guessed it to ramp up like it did.

    On a side note: I will bet you any money in the world that the Chinese are trying to buy some for themselves to reverse-engineer behind the scenes.
    LMFS
    LMFS

    Posts : 3784
    Points : 3786
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  LMFS Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:31 pm

    Second experimental Tupolev-160M undergoes ground testing

    At the beginning of November 2020, the first fundamentally upgraded strategic bomber Tupolev-160M, equipped with new engines NK-32-02 took off from the airfield of the Gorbunov aircraft plant in Kazan

    MOSCOW, December 30. /TASS/. The second experimental sample of the fundamentally upgraded strategic missile-carrying plane Tupolev-160M is undergoing ground tests at the flight test station of the Gorbunov aircraft plant in Kazan, a source in the defense-industrial complex told TASS.

    "The second plane is on the way. Testing is in progress at the flight test station," the source said, adding that the plane was converted from a standard Tupolev-160 built earlier.

    At the beginning of November 2020, the first fundamentally upgraded strategic bomber Tupolev-160M, equipped with new engines NK-32-02 took off from the airfield of the Gorbunov aircraft plant in Kazan. The United Aircraft Corporation said that during the flight the upgraded general systems and onboard radio-electronic equipment were tested and the performance of the new engine NK-32 of the 02 series assessed.

    https://tass.com/defense/1241361

    George1, Maximmmm, Hole, lancelot and TMA1 like this post

    avatar
    owais.usmani

    Posts : 704
    Points : 704
    Join date : 2019-03-27
    Age : 35

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  owais.usmani Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:53 pm

    New Tu-160M serial no 805 under construction at august 2020 in Kazan factory:

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Equhuc10
    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Equhtj10
    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Equhrx10
    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Equhvb10

    George1, dino00, zepia, Maximmmm, zardof, LMFS, Hole and like this post

    LMFS
    LMFS

    Posts : 3784
    Points : 3786
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  LMFS Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:26 pm

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Eq6MMXAWMAI_18z?format=jpg&name=large

    GarryB, dino00, magnumcromagnon and TMA1 like this post

    TMA1
    TMA1

    Posts : 198
    Points : 200
    Join date : 2020-11-30

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  TMA1 Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:16 am

    hey is the new built tu-160 getting a new canopy as well?? unshaven
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 11077
    Points : 11151
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  PapaDragon Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:44 am

    TMA1 wrote:hey is the new built tu-160 getting a new canopy as well?? unshaven

    Highly unlikely

    They never change what works and fuselage on Tu-160 works like a charm

    TMA1
    TMA1

    Posts : 198
    Points : 200
    Join date : 2020-11-30

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  TMA1 Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:15 am

    PapaDragon wrote:
    TMA1 wrote:hey is the new built tu-160 getting a new canopy as well?? unshaven

    Highly unlikely

    They never change what works and fuselage on Tu-160 works like a charm


    my mistake and agreed. the first Pic in previous post showing the new construction is what I got messed up with. the open area at the top of the canopy is probably the blowout panel for ejection.
    Kiko
    Kiko

    Posts : 686
    Points : 702
    Join date : 2020-11-11
    Age : 72
    Location : Brasilia

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Kiko Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:54 pm

    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 7643
    Points : 7627
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Isos Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:00 am

    The-thing-next-door
    The-thing-next-door

    Posts : 956
    Points : 1008
    Join date : 2017-09-18
    Location : Uranus

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Does Russia still operate aircraft that can drop such bombs?

    Post  The-thing-next-door Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:36 pm

    GarryB wrote:

    The US have used C-130s to drop daisy cutters, but the Soviets have traditionally used proper bombers... the reason the Tu-16 was kept in service in the 1980s was because of its enormous bomb bay originally designed for old large nuke bombs... they used Tu-16s to drop FAB-9000s in Afghanistan.

    Does Russia still operate aircraft that can drop such bombs?

    I wonder, I have heard some people referring to hexal as a high explosive incendiary compound. Would a large scale bombing by Russian bombers be able to replicate what we saw in Dresden and Tokyo back in WWII?

    I can imagine such a capability would be rather useful if ever Russia needed to remind the eurotards of thier inferiority.
    Hole
    Hole

    Posts : 4269
    Points : 4263
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 45
    Location : Merkelland

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Hole Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:47 pm

    The Tu-160 can carry one FOAB in each weapons bay.

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 000170
    The-thing-next-door
    The-thing-next-door

    Posts : 956
    Points : 1008
    Join date : 2017-09-18
    Location : Uranus

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  The-thing-next-door Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:33 pm

    But They do not have enough Tu160s to flatten europe.

    Also, speaking of the FOAB, are there any videos of it being used in combat?
    Hole
    Hole

    Posts : 4269
    Points : 4263
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 45
    Location : Merkelland

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Hole Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:50 pm

    The ODAB-9000 (FOAB) hasn´t been used in combat.

    Sponsored content

    Tu-160 "White Swan" - Page 36 Empty Re: Tu-160 "White Swan"

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:47 pm