Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+62
Daniel_Admassu
lyle6
GarryB
LMFS
gc3762
KoTeMoRe
lancelot
TMA1
PeregrineFalcon
Backman
Hole
dino00
Tai Hai Chen
Scorpius
Arrow
thegopnik
Isos
nero
zepia
FFjet
secretprojects
Begome
Gomig-21
limb
Mindstorm
SeigSoloyvov
wilhelm
jaguar_br
tomazy
Stealthflanker
PapaDragon
owais.usmani
Sujoy
AlfaT8
Singular_Transform
The-thing-next-door
marcellogo
RTN
Azi
ahmedfire
x_54_u43
ultimatewarrior
JohninMK
Austin
Tsavo Lion
Giulio
jhelb
tanino
kvs
mnztr
Rodion_Romanovic
PhSt
Vann7
Viktor
Big_Gazza
archangelski
magnumcromagnon
miketheterrible
calripson
william.boutros
George1
ult
66 posters

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 33 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

Post  miketheterrible Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:29 pm

dino00 wrote:Moscow. December 7. Interfax - The "second stage" engine, which ensures the cruising supersonic speed of the Su-57 fighter, will be ready in 2022, the head of Rostec Sergey Chemezov told reporters.

“I hope that sometime in 2022 the engines will be ready,“ put on the wing, ”and within a few years we will launch their serial production
    ,” Chemezov said.

https://www.militarynews.ru/story.asp?rid=1&nid=542823&lang=RU

The SU-57 in 2022 will still have the same engine.

It was gonna be a while till the new engines would arrive. Because they are brand new engines, it has to go through heavy testing before introduction.
    dino00
    dino00

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 33 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

Post  dino00 Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:30 pm

https://tass.com/defense/1232179

I think this article in english is more clear about the 2 stage engine
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:39 pm

The most likely interpretation I have seen is the following: the engine will be ready in 2022, then the tests of the full Su-57 second stage will start proper, with the new engines and all the new systems that have been discussed, and should end by 2024, when it can go to the series. By then the numbers of planes actually delivered to the VKS will still be low, maybe one or two squadrons, so hopefully Russia does not need to dedicate a big amount of planes to lesser tasks like it happened with the first F-35. Hopefully they can be fully upgraded to second stage level, but that is unknown by now.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:21 pm

LMFS wrote:
    Arrow wrote:Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 33 5900616_0bdf6b9b6b02206a8b79d299553c07de

This was posted some time before but the picture had not been processed so heavily, I don't even know if people realized that the blocker was supposed to be there...

To continue with this....

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 33 EolPQMNXUAUzW2g?format=jpg&name=900x900

JSC "Ufa Engine-Building Production Association" demonstrated the first samples of high-pressure compressor blades of a promising engine for PAK FA at the exhibition following the results of the federal target program, which took place on April 25-27 at the Forum Hall (Moscow). The parts are made by a unique casting method from an intermetallic compound (an alloy of titanium and aluminum - titanium aluminide). Its advantage lies in the fact that, while maintaining all the strength characteristics, blades made of titanium aluminide are much lighter than similar parts made using the previously used casting technology from nickel alloys. This is the result of joint work of UMPO and the National Research Technological University "Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys" in the framework of the FTP "

Date: 22.05.2013
    Photo by: sdelanounas.ru
    Source: UMPO

https://www.oborudunion.ru/publications/posts/1881

GarryB, dino00, kvs, zepia and lancelot like this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:25 pm

dino00 wrote:Moscow. December 7. Interfax - The "second stage" engine, which ensures the cruising supersonic speed of the Su-57 fighter, will be ready in 2022, the head of Rostec Sergey Chemezov told reporters.

“I hope that sometime in 2022 the engines will be ready,“ put on the wing, ”and within a few years we will launch their serial production
    ,” Chemezov said.

It was always a 2 phase engine project.

I think the new engine is overkill anyway. It will be good for the pilots to get used to this thing with a more manageable engine first. The new engined plane is going to be a handful for the pilots.

^ The su 57 has modular engine bays. If I recall , they designed it in a way that would allow other engines to be bolted in. So the new engine could probably be installed in the older aircraft. Seems like a lot of work though just to make a fast plane even faster
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:18 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    JSC "Ufa Engine-Building Production Association" demonstrated the first samples of high-pressure compressor blades of a promising engine for PAK FA at the exhibition following the results of the federal target program, which took place on April 25-27 at the Forum Hall (Moscow).

Good link! That relates to the high pressure compressor and not the radar blocker right? It is part of the engine core and quite far behind the blocker and even the LP compressor blades and vanes which will be the main concern regarding RCS.

Backman wrote:I think the new engine is overkill anyway. It will be good for the pilots to get used to this thing with a more manageable engine first. The new engined plane is going to be a handful for the pilots.

^ The su 57 has modular engine bays. If I recall , they designed it in a way that would allow other engines to be bolted in. So the new engine could probably be installed in the older aircraft. Seems like a lot of work though just to make a fast plane even faster

I am sure pilots never think they have too much thrust at disposal Razz

The idea as explained in the thread is that until the new engine is released, the Su-57 will be a great fighter but not really the machine it is intended to be, with its main combat mode being blocked by an engine design intended for subsonic flight. I think this is highly relevant, to the point of actually being the enabler of a complete change in tactics and concept of operations.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:27 pm

The titanium aluminide turbine blades are likely not as simple as cited.

https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1944/12/4/629/pdf

We are looking at ceramics and not alloys. The second gen engine of the Su-57 was to use ceramics and this article gives us
    some idea.

lancelot likes this post

Kiko
    Kiko

Post  Kiko Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:07 am

Don't you believe that with the advent of the mounted photonic radar the stealth fighter concept becomes obsolete?

GarryB and dino00 like this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:59 am

Kiko wrote:Don't you believe that with the advent of the mounted photonic radar the stealth fighter concept becomes obsolete?

Yeah but internal weapons reduces drag. So it's not a total loss. And the smaller the dimensions of an aircraft is , the smaller they will be on those radars. So flat design like the su 57 or YF-23 will be ideal.
    Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:10 am

LMFS wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    JSC "Ufa Engine-Building Production Association" demonstrated the first samples of high-pressure compressor blades of a promising engine for PAK FA at the exhibition following the results of the federal target program, which took place on April 25-27 at the Forum Hall (Moscow).

Backman wrote:I think the new engine is overkill anyway. It will be good for the pilots to get used to this thing with a more manageable engine first. The new engined plane is going to be a handful for the pilots.

I am sure pilots never think they have too much thrust at disposal Razz

The idea as explained in the thread is that until the new engine is released, the Su-57 will be a great fighter but not really the machine it is intended to be, with its main combat mode being blocked by an engine design intended for subsonic flight. I think this is highly relevant, to the point of actually being the enabler of a complete change in tactics and concept of operations.

I agree with the highlighted. That's probably true.

But I think you are still selling the stage 1 su 57 a little short.

GarryB likes this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:21 am

Backman wrote:
    I agree with the highlighted. That's probably true.

But I think you are still selling the stage 1 su 57 a little short.

Well, I am not saying how capable it will be compared to other planes, probably the only one which has some arguments against it is the F-22. My point is that it is not a matter of a linear increase in performance as it may be in a normal case of thrust increase, in this case the layout of the engine should change, maybe even the fact of it being variable or fixed bypass, and therefore the relationship between mil and AB thrust should change substantially and with it the way you use the plane. Now kinematically the F-22 should have the upper hand, after izd. 30 it should be the other way around and by a fair margin probably. In case of it being a VCE the amount of advantages both in sub- and supersonic flight would put it in another league and demand from US to deploy adaptive engines on their fleet asap.

BTW, nice picture of the intake and air duct, where the max deviation of the variable ramps can be seen with clarity:
    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 33 NxhPbZNBato

https://vk.com/wall602270709_32?z=photo602270709_457239046%2Falbum602270709_00%2Frev

dino00, Backman and TMA1 like this post

thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:44 am

Kiko wrote:Don't you believe that with the advent of the mounted photonic radar the stealth fighter concept becomes obsolete?

China made some crazy ass claims that metamaterial stealth would make their aircrafts 1000 times smaller in size, while the Russians believe you can use this material not only on the outside but even with the electronics and antennas without those being effected by it and they make it sound like its better than absorbing and reflecting waves away. Oh 2nd variant su-57 is taking its time.
    Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:18 am

I just wanted to share an image comparing the side drawings of the su 57 and YF-23 that I found. It sorta puts home the point about why the YF-23 had better all aspect stealth than the F-22. Its flat blend wing design. And it also puts home the point in my humble opinion, that the su 57's stealth is under estimated.

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 33 Yf23su577_by_backspin321_dea2sog-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD01MjciLCJwYXRoIjoiXC9mXC82NzMyZjYzZi1kNTRmLTQ3ODktYjRlYS1kZTRlMjEzMzJkOTZcL2RlYTJzb2ctNzMxOWFkNTctNWRkZi00ZTcxLWE2MDMtZTEzNTI5YjRmNDdiLnBuZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD0xMDkxIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0

GarryB, dino00, Big_Gazza, tanino, thegopnik and TMA1 like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:31 pm

There are 4 yes 4 light fighters. Most SMT's were purchased almost 8 years ago. In total Russia has less light fighters than Turkey FFS (about 120). It more than compensates with the SU-27 family (over 300) but the need for a point fighter is clear. Local troublions like Turkey don't need to get taken head on by the PAK FA or SU-30/35.

Think you are confusing light with light... the MiG-29 is not a light plane, it is a cheaper plane, yet it is not MiG-29M2s on order, it is MiG-35s as the "cheap" light, to operate with the expensive "heavies".

Then you check the Quack of Doom (Su-34) numbers and you see that the replacement of the Su-24 is not possible (they're at the same level). Russia needs a ~300 strike fleet to spread through military regions.

Just like the fighter role will be spread across various aircraft... Su-57, Su-35, Su-30 (which is turning into a two seat Su-35) and the MiG-35, effectively the air to ground capacity of the Su-57 and future MiG stealth fighter will also compliment the Su-34 in the strike mission along with S-70 drones and long range hypersonic missiles.

If it was a single engine aircraft like the MiG-21 then it might make sense.

You mean single engined and cheap like F-35?

I don't think an aircraft is possible that includes the terms cheap and 5th gen and single engined. That ship has sailed. except a single engined semi 5th gen drone... but even then it will cost more than a MiG-21.

But if it is another twin engine aircraft it will be nearly as expensive as Su-57 without the same performance.

The idea of only having one engine is to reduce performance and operating costs with commonality and numbers... a simplified medium fighter has more potential for better performance and less costs than any light weight fighter or souped up LIFT.

Agree. At this point I don't sure if the VKS still need lighter tier 5th gen fighter.
    It's unlike the TPFI-LPFI time, today's technological enable the tactical requirement of both tier could be met with one plane.

If Su-57 and LMFS will be comparable advancement in avionic and design, I doubt the latter will cheaper (to procure and to operate) enough for VKS to bother operate two different planes for similar role.
    Especially with lastest information suggest it will be twin engines, not single.

It's also easier to maintenance planes with similar design, similar subsystems, similar suppliers.
    Which will be increased combat readiness of the whole fleet.

Even if they don't buy a lot of LMFS aircraft the technology and systems developed for it will make the MiG-35s they do buy rather more capable and useful, but I agree they may find stealth is not as useful as so many seem to think in many situations and the extra cost of the LMFS is simply not worth it when you can get the same avionics and systems in a more conventional and cheaper aircraft (MiG-35).

Precision strikes don't change the problem. With a typical rotation and attrition you need those 300 SU-34 (Current is 250 AC between SU-24 and Su-34). Russia is a large country. You got two issues. Air time and coverage.

To be fair they also will have 60 odd Tu-22M3Ms as well...

That is OK, you could argue that it will never be a potent fighter till they have 300 in service anyway, so 300 by 2022 is unreasonable, but by 2026 or so is not that far fetched if all things go well... Very Happy

[quote]The idea as explained in the thread is that until the new engine is released, the Su-57 will be a great fighter but not really the machine it is intended to be, with its main combat mode being blocked by an engine design intended for subsonic flight. I think this is highly relevant, to the point of actually being the enabler of a complete change in tactics and concept of operations./quote]

At its core being stealthy and being able to supercruise are easily enough to counter any eurocanards which are currently the main enemy... by the time they get the new engine HATO will have a lot more F-35s which should finish them off by my calculations.... Twisted Evil

I just wanted to share an image comparing the side drawings of the su 57 and YF-23 that I found. It sorta puts home the point about why the YF-23 had better all aspect stealth than the F-22. Its flat blend wing design. And it also puts home the point in my humble opinion, that the su 57's stealth is under estimated.

Not to mention how pretty it is.... clown x2
    Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:44 pm

At its core being stealthy and being able to supercruise are easily enough to counter any eurocanards which are currently the main enemy...

From what I understand from PeregrineFalcon, in a fighting configuration, internal weapons vs 4th gen help a lot.drag wise as well.
    gc3762

Post  gc3762 Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:53 pm

Russia’s Su-57 Jet is Save Money and ‘More Stealthy’ with New Air Intake Grille (sic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGGJzgCx8uQ&t=319s

Animation and discussion of the air intake at 20 secs.
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:03 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    JSC "Ufa Engine-Building Production Association" demonstrated the first samples of high-pressure compressor blades of a promising engine for PAK FA at the exhibition following the results of the federal target program, which took place on April 25-27 at the Forum Hall (Moscow). The parts are made by a unique casting method from an intermetallic compound (an alloy of titanium and aluminum - titanium aluminide). Its advantage lies in the fact that, while maintaining all the strength characteristics, blades made of titanium aluminide are much lighter than similar parts made using the previously used casting technology from nickel alloys. This is the result of joint work of UMPO and the National Research Technological University "Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys" in the framework of the FTP "

I didn't remember but Marchukov talked about this at his famous N+1 interview:

In 2013, the developers showed high pressure compressor blades for the second stage engine, intended for installation on the Su-57. They were made from titanium aluminide - an alloy of titanium and aluminum. Information appeared in the media that the same alloy can be used for the manufacture of blades for the low-pressure turbine "Product 30". But later all these works were suspended. According to Marchukov, titanium aluminide is not suitable for a military engine.

“Titanium aluminide blades are used in the very last stages of the low pressure turbine on civil aircraft, where the gas temperature is relatively low. This results in significant weight savings, as civil engines have multistage turbines. In a military engine, the gas temperature even in front of a low-pressure turbine is much higher, and titanium aluminide is simply inapplicable in these conditions, ”explained the General Designer of the A. Lyulka Design Bureau

“Intermetallics like titanium aluminide are not suitable for compressor blades either. This material is fragile, and any nick on the shoulder blade is fraught with its destruction. And the weight savings for the compressor are insignificant, "added Marchukov.

lancelot likes this post

lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:14 am

LMFS wrote:...
    “Titanium aluminide blades are used in the very last stages of the low pressure turbine on civil aircraft, where the gas temperature is relatively low. This results in significant weight savings, as civil engines have multistage turbines. In a military engine, the gas temperature even in front of a low-pressure turbine is much higher, and titanium aluminide is simply inapplicable in these conditions, ”explained the General Designer of the A. Lyulka Design Bureau

“Intermetallics like titanium aluminide are not suitable for compressor blades either. This material is fragile, and any nick on the shoulder blade is fraught with its destruction. And the weight savings for the compressor are insignificant, "added Marchukov.

Yeah that makes sense. Like I said, both titanium and aluminium aren't that good with high temperatures. So it makes sense they would use them in the low-pressure turbine.
    I do wonder if composites wouldn't be even better at that though. Perhaps fiberglass reinforced plastic or something like that. At least for the turbofan blades.
    If it is too hot for that then they could use carbon fiber composites which can handle reasonably high temperatures.
    For the hot sections they could use SiC (silicon carbide) or something like that. It is a ceramic which resists well high temperatures.
    Problem is it is a bit brittle, as any ceramic, so might not work in this military application. But I have heard of it being used in bearings.

There was also some talk about replacing the hydraulic actuators on the aircraft with electrical ones. That should make the aircraft significantly easier to maintain and cheaper to build.
    I think this will be a trait we will see in 6th generation fighter aircraft.
    jhelb
    jhelb

Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

Post  jhelb Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:09 pm

Isos wrote:US are the most advanced in aircraft engines. They are leaders in that field and they have lot of money from civilian engines.
    They have accumulated loads of money from civilian programs but French and Russian fighter jet engines are equally good, probably better. Look at the mess that the F-35's engine is.

Similarly Airbus designs better engines than GE or Pratt & Whitney. Its Boeing's aircraft that are falling off from the skies.
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:14 am

Wow very cool videos got through QuadroFX / Jo Asakura about the augmented reality training of Su-57 production line workers:

https://yadi.sk/d/3_Tl3LlQILsGUw/12.%20%D0%92%D0%B8%D0%B7%D1%83%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0%B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D1%8F%20%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%B9.mp4

https://yadi.sk/d/3_Tl3LlQILsGUw/1.%20HL2%20-%20%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%B7%D1%83%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B9%20%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BD%D1%82%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%8C.%20%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BE%20%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%BE%20%D1%81%20%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%BA%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%8F%D0%BC%D0%B8.mp4

How insolent these mud-hut dwellers have grown!! angry

GarryB, dino00, kvs, tanino, zepia, miketheterrible, thegopnik and like this post

thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:45 am

Dang did not see LMFS post that(thanks) but here is just a video to view of it.

LMFS wrote:Wow very cool videos got through QuadroFX / Jo Asakura about the augmented reality training of Su-57 production line workers:

Seems Jo has two posts at paralaysboards(key aero is gone afterall), he always has some very interesting information like I never knew about the GaN modules for the airborne EW systems back in 2014, some interesting information he has posted about photonic integrated circuits from RTI, and now the hologram thing with the Su-57. Someone with an account there send him a message to join this forum he is a cool guy to have here.

GarryB and dino00 like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:54 am

An important video to watch for people who think the skins of 5th gen fighters are invisible to radar... if they were all those bolts and fasteners and ribs and support parts would be visible which would create 1,000 times more of a radar return than the skin would make with its smooth surface and lack of corners....
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:49 pm

Moar VR from KnAAZ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVn5_CARnqs&feature=emb_title

PapaDragon, zepia, lyle6 and Backman like this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:24 pm

From the paralay board

Composite cladding. With sawtooth edges.

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 33 160760855479606652

Possibly this location, the gear door on the left

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 33 160200453672925515

dino00, tanino, PapaDragon and TMA1 like this post

limb

Post  limb Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:23 pm

,” Chemezov said.

I wonder if the US 6th gen fighter will be flying by that time, and if the WS15s on the J-20 will be ready.

Also why would the aircraft with the new engines need many more years for testing, when all their other systems will be the same? Isnt the izd.30 being flight tested right now?

Backman dislikes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:28 am