Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


+47
Kiko
kvs
Tai Hai Chen
zepia
miketheterrible
Maximmmm
Cyberspec
Firebird
Vann7
dino00
Sujoy
GarryB
Regular
d_taddei2
Tingsay
Hannibal Barca
nero
ATLASCUB
RTN
x_54_u43
Mindstorm
Rodion_Romanovic
jhelb
TheArmenian
Karl Haushofer
PapaDragon
Azi
Singular_Transform
owais.usmani
flamming_python
andalusia
Arrow
PhSt
Hole
magnumcromagnon
franco
Viktor
zorobabel
calripson
Kimppis
DerWolf
Walther von Oldenburg
par far
medo
Big_Gazza
George1
Austin
51 posters

    Russian Economy General News: #11

    kvs
    kvs


    Posts : 12881
    Points : 13028
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Kanada

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  kvs Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:32 pm

    GarryB wrote:Even the richest countries in the world struggle with urbanisation and the migration of young people from rural to urban areas looking for a social life and a job off the farm they grew up on...

    It is not even a wealth/poverty thing, it is a social problem that bites hard when it comes to harvest times... but it is ironic in that it mimics western society where a small group of land owners need people to work their land to get the best productivity from it, but are not prepared to pay a decent wage to make their products more competitive. The result is often even their own children don't want to work for them... you get the Luke Skywalker effect...

    Family farms have been dying out for decades in the USA and Canada. As you note, urbanization has global characteristics. Trying
    to paint Russian urbanization as Putin's fail is pure, unmitigated BS. But that is exactly what this "reporter" is spewing. The asswipe
    should focus on Germany's problems. It has plenty.

    Big_Gazza and miketheterrible like this post

    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible


    Posts : 7403
    Points : 7377
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  miketheterrible Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:57 pm

    kvs wrote:
    GarryB wrote:Even the richest countries in the world struggle with urbanisation and the migration of young people from rural to urban areas looking for a social life and a job off the farm they grew up on...

    It is not even a wealth/poverty thing, it is a social problem that bites hard when it comes to harvest times... but it is ironic in that it mimics western society where a small group of land owners need people to work their land to get the best productivity from it, but are not prepared to pay a decent wage to make their products more competitive. The result is often even their own children don't want to work for them... you get the Luke Skywalker effect...

    Family farms have been dying out for decades in the USA and Canada.  As you note, urbanization has global characteristics.  Trying
    to paint Russian urbanization as Putin's fail is pure, unmitigated BS.   But that is exactly what this "reporter" is spewing.   The asswipe
    should focus on Germany's problems.  It has plenty.


    Russia is doing it better imo. They are allowing companies to set up villages of their own for farming.

    If the companies are not doing it quick enough or are very few inbetween, then the government should invest in such projects. Look at dead villages but rather strategic locations for good farming, and set up something similar to the free land in Siberia - offer to invest in infrastructure and utilities if companies sign up and they get the necessary people in. Get everyone to sign contracts and then boom, you got modern, good quality of life villages and companies have people to work the farms.

    The workers should be subsidized (housing paid for and they pay a subsidized rent or something) while they get paid half decent. There would be more interest in farming.

    Only farming now that seems to be very popular even for workers is the greenhouses. Probably cause easier, controlled temperatures and high yields and decent pay.
    Kiko
    Kiko


    Posts : 1194
    Points : 1214
    Join date : 2020-11-11
    Age : 73
    Location : Brasilia

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  Kiko Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:21 am

    Russia's grain exports remain high:
    https://www.agroinvestor.ru/analytics/news/34936-eksport-zerna-sokhranyaet-vysokie-tempy/
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon


    Posts : 12214
    Points : 12274
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  PapaDragon Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:36 pm

    Kiko wrote:Russia's grain exports remain high:
    https://www.agroinvestor.ru/analytics/news/34936-eksport-zerna-sokhranyaet-vysokie-tempy/

    Vann7 is filling up the bathtub and cracking open a pack of razor blades Razz



    Big_Gazza and Hole like this post

    Hole
    Hole


    Posts : 6447
    Points : 6435
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 46
    Location : Scholzistan

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  Hole Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:16 pm

    No, he will claim that without Putin the ammount of exported grain would be greater.

    Big_Gazza and Maximmmm like this post

    Kiko
    Kiko


    Posts : 1194
    Points : 1214
    Join date : 2020-11-11
    Age : 73
    Location : Brasilia

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  Kiko Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:07 pm

    The Suez Canal is losing its cargo. Japan switches the delivery of goods to Europe via Russia, via the Trans-Siberian Railway. The Japanese considered that for them the transport of goods along the Transsib would be two times cheaper than transporting them through the Suez Canal:
    https://zen.yandex.ru/media/id/5cb9e3053ee20600b4598ec8/suetskii-kanal-teriaet-gruzy-iaponiia-perehodit-na-dostavku-tovarov-v-evropu-cherez-rossiiu--po-transsibu-5fce10eaf825a1284140250b

    slasher and LMFS like this post

    lyle6
    lyle6


    Posts : 1180
    Points : 1180
    Join date : 2020-09-14
    Location : Philippines

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  lyle6 Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:44 pm

    Kiko wrote:Russia's grain exports remain high:
    https://www.agroinvestor.ru/analytics/news/34936-eksport-zerna-sokhranyaet-vysokie-tempy/

    Grain's pretty low value though. With that amount of surplus they should be looking at dramatically expanding their livestock herds and export those instead.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible


    Posts : 7403
    Points : 7377
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  miketheterrible Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:12 pm

    lyle6 wrote:
    Kiko wrote:Russia's grain exports remain high:
    https://www.agroinvestor.ru/analytics/news/34936-eksport-zerna-sokhranyaet-vysokie-tempy/

    Grain's pretty low value though. With that amount of surplus they should be looking at dramatically expanding their livestock herds and export those instead.

    Livestock demand is massive in Russia to the point they are still importing cows from other countries.
    kvs
    kvs


    Posts : 12881
    Points : 13028
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Kanada

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  kvs Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:48 pm

    Cattle husbandry is not so simple. That is why all the beef you eat grown in the west is full of steroids and antibiotics. They
    try to get the meat to market after 2 years. Russia actually has serious food quality standards so ramping up production is
    more costly and takes longer. And countries like Brazil have a real advantage over Russia in terms of cattle husbandry.

    We also see how the magic invisible hand of the market is an actual stupid joke. If your only parameter is the generation of
    profits, then you could care less about delivering a proper product selection. Since beef is more expensive to launch as a
    business compared to other types of business, it gets neglected. So big bad grubbermint has to step in and distort the
    precious market to have sane production in the economy. The Milton Friedman monkeys don't understand this fact.

    I saw a video on YouCrap where Friedman claimed that the poorest Americans were richer than the average Soviet citizen
    back the in the 1970s. This c*nt was either a retard or a malicious actor. In either case he was dead wrong. There was
    nothing like the poverty seen in the US south in the USSR. Just because everyone was not stinking rich in the USSR does
    not mean they were poor. I know this first hand by seeing both sides of the fence.





    1ffmm likes this post

    Kiko
    Kiko


    Posts : 1194
    Points : 1214
    Join date : 2020-11-11
    Age : 73
    Location : Brasilia

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  Kiko Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:12 pm

    miketheterrible wrote: Livestock demand is massive in Russia to the point they are still importing cows from other countries.
    Massive Russian special breed cow imports are destined for increasingly relevant dairy production.
    kvs
    kvs


    Posts : 12881
    Points : 13028
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Kanada

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  kvs Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:02 pm

    Kiko wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote: Livestock demand is massive in Russia to the point they are still importing cows from other countries.
    Massive Russian special breed cow imports are destined for increasingly relevant dairy production.

    That is true, but for sure beef production in Russia is not meeting demand by a large percentage.   In terms of pork Russia has
    basically reached the level of meeting its domestic demand.

    Also dairy is more lucrative since it involves cheese production and cheese is expensive everywhere.

    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon


    Posts : 12214
    Points : 12274
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  PapaDragon Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:48 pm

    kvs wrote:
    Kiko wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote: Livestock demand is massive in Russia to the point they are still importing cows from other countries.
    Massive Russian special breed cow imports are destined for increasingly relevant dairy production.

    That is true, but for sure beef production in Russia is not meeting demand by a large percentage.   In terms of pork Russia has
    basically reached the level of meeting its domestic demand.

    Also dairy is more lucrative since it involves cheese production and cheese is expensive everywhere.

    They are working on beef as well but it takes much longer time to increase number of beef cows compared to dairy ones

    They hired people from USA to work on this, Americans know their beef

    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible


    Posts : 7403
    Points : 7377
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  miketheterrible Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:57 pm

    They also imported a specific breed of cows from both Australia and Denmark. Rumor was also Japan in that Russia tried to get cows so they can produce their own Waygu beef but Japan refused since Russia would probably outdo Japan in the Waygu department sooner than later.

    I was told by some people on Russia that the demand is so high that local production of beef only meets about 25% of the needs. And as well, the cost is high so people have switched to pork and chicken since it's much cheaper.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon


    Posts : 12214
    Points : 12274
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  PapaDragon Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:00 pm

    miketheterrible wrote:...I was told by some people on Russia that the demand is so high that local production of beef only meets about 25% of the needs.  And as well, the cost is high so people have switched to pork and chicken since it's much cheaper.

    Makes sense, pigs reproduce exponentially, chickens do it geometrically
    kvs
    kvs


    Posts : 12881
    Points : 13028
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Kanada

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  kvs Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:20 pm

    People dramatically reduced beef consumption in Russia during the 1990s. This helped to downsize beef production.
    Now that things are really much better (unlike the Deutscher clown claimed in the question to Putin) the demand has
    recovered. But we see no magical production meeting demand, instead we have imports. That is OK, up to a point.
    But just as with grain production during the USSR period, there is no excuse for having so little beef production.
    There is way, way more than enough pastureland in Russia.



    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon


    Posts : 12214
    Points : 12274
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  PapaDragon Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:26 pm

    kvs wrote:People dramatically reduced beef consumption in Russia during the 1990s.   This helped to downsize beef production.
    Now that things are really much better (unlike the Deutscher clown claimed in the question to Putin) the demand has
    recovered.   But we see no magical production meeting demand, instead we have imports.   That is OK, up to a point.
    But just as with grain production during the USSR period, there is no excuse for having so little beef production.
    There is way, way more than enough pastureland in Russia.

    Cows don't reproduce as fast as chickens, especially ones that are slated to end up on BBQ, lot less time for reproduction before grill
    kvs
    kvs


    Posts : 12881
    Points : 13028
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Kanada

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  kvs Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:15 am

    PapaDragon wrote:
    kvs wrote:People dramatically reduced beef consumption in Russia during the 1990s.   This helped to downsize beef production.
    Now that things are really much better (unlike the Deutscher clown claimed in the question to Putin) the demand has
    recovered.   But we see no magical production meeting demand, instead we have imports.   That is OK, up to a point.
    But just as with grain production during the USSR period, there is no excuse for having so little beef production.
    There is way, way more than enough pastureland in Russia.

    Cows don't reproduce as fast as chickens, especially ones that are slated to end up on BBQ, lot less time for reproduction before grill  

    There are limitations but the issue is that little effort was made to grow this agricultural branch over the last 20 years.
    It was displaced by imports. If they started 15 years ago they would be well ahead of where they are now. It will
    take 5 to 10 years to see results.



    avatar
    calripson


    Posts : 655
    Points : 712
    Join date : 2013-10-26

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Meat

    Post  calripson Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:51 am

    I lived in Moscow in the 1990s. They would dump expired meat products from the EU on the Russian market - you could tell because they would simply put a label over the original label including the expired "good to sell" date. I distinctly remember Danish meat being sold this way. Hard to compete as a domestic producer with expired tossed meat.

    kvs likes this post

    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 33241
    Points : 33755
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  GarryB Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:35 am

    That is why all the beef you eat grown in the west is full of steroids and antibiotics.

    Not true, in New Zealand such things are not allowed. We get enormous tariffs on NZ Beef exports to the US because they can't compete with our beef production...


    They hired people from USA to work on this, Americans know their beef

    I would seriously argue with that... these are the guys pumping their animals with antibiotics and steriods and lots of other shit during meat processing...

    But just as with grain production during the USSR period, there is no excuse for having so little beef production.
    There is way, way more than enough pastureland in Russia.

    If there is demand then someone will make a lot of money...


    Cows don't reproduce as fast as chickens, especially ones that are slated to end up on BBQ, lot less time for reproduction before grill

    They don't, but techniques like artificial insemination gives you control of the genes you are working with without chemical boosters...

    Just hope Russia does not copy all western animal production techniques... I just donated plasma and you can't donate plasma in New Zealand if you lived in the UK during the early to mid 1980s because that was when they were feeding dead cows to living cows as cheap feed and managed to make mad cow burgers a thing...

    I distinctly remember Danish meat being sold this way. Hard to compete as a domestic producer with expired tossed meat.

    I am pretty sure the taste difference alone of fresh meat of a better quality will sell better...
    kvs
    kvs


    Posts : 12881
    Points : 13028
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Kanada

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  kvs Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:06 am

    New Zealand is the exception that proves the rule. I am sure we do not have any New Zealand beef here in Canada easily reached
    for purchase. We have NZ lamb that is common. So I am not dissing NZ. If NZ can have people like you that run such a forum
    then it is definitely an outlier which I will never lump with the yanqui type anti-Russian dementia west.

    NZ also proves that people from the UK are no different than any other normal people. All of the world's problems are
    generated by rotten elites.

    Back to beef, I think Argentinian beef was and likely still is some of the best. My perceptions are warped by the crap I
    get in Canada which is the same as the US. Maybe in the EU the beef has higher standards.

    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon


    Posts : 8159
    Points : 8304
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  magnumcromagnon Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:54 am

    clown  lol1  Embarassed  Razz  pwnd

    Brussels’ anti-Russia sanctions policy costs EU economy 21 bln euro annually
    LMFS
    LMFS


    Posts : 4495
    Points : 4495
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  LMFS Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:07 am

    magnumcromagnon wrote:clown  lol1  Embarassed  Razz  pwnd

    Brussels’ anti-Russia sanctions policy costs EU economy 21 bln euro annually

    They say though, that it would be better for all parties if the sanctions were removed. But I am not sure Russia is hurting too much to get their domestic economy receiving the money that traditionally was going to the EU. European business will need to grow a pair and put their countries in the right path before Russia takes further sacrifices to ease their pain, it is simply to good for them to keep retaliatory sanctions just how they see more beneficial and blame the Europeans for it.
    kvs
    kvs


    Posts : 12881
    Points : 13028
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Kanada

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  kvs Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:32 am

    LMFS wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:clown  lol1  Embarassed  Razz  pwnd

    Brussels’ anti-Russia sanctions policy costs EU economy 21 bln euro annually

    They say though, that it would be better for all parties if the sanctions were removed. But I am not sure Russia is hurting too much to get their domestic economy receiving the money that traditionally was going to the EU. European business will need to grow a pair and put their countries in the right path before Russia takes further sacrifices to ease their pain, it is simply to good for them to keep retaliatory sanctions just how they see more beneficial and blame the Europeans for it.

    The US quislings running the EU are not going to make any decision that benefits the EU. Instead they will continue with the
    inane "pressure" on Russia. A collection of impotent chihuahuas who think their hate yapping will scare Russia into submission.
    Every day that they keep up with their idiotic anti-Russian spasm takes them farther and farther from their objectives.

    LMFS likes this post

    avatar
    par far


    Posts : 3297
    Points : 3542
    Join date : 2014-06-26

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  par far Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:14 am

    "A new & unprecedented problem for Russia’s middle class as country’s economy has become ‘too normal’ for simple investors"

    https://www.rt.com/russia/509243-middle-class-economy-investors/
    kvs
    kvs


    Posts : 12881
    Points : 13028
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Kanada

    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  kvs Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:29 am

    par far wrote:"A new & unprecedented problem for Russia’s middle class as country’s economy has become ‘too normal’ for simple investors"

    https://www.rt.com/russia/509243-middle-class-economy-investors/

    This supports my arguments made over the last few years that the CBR prime rate was grossly excessive. Real inflation
    was nowhere near as claimed by Nabiullina and her montarist gang. If the inflation rate was as high as claimed then
    people would see no benefit from real savings. Banks paid even less than prime rate for the deposits but charged a
    substantial markup for loans. The CBR prime rate was over 8% for years. At the same time the CBR inflation rate
    estimate was similar in size and even higher, hence no benefit from keeping deposits in banks. Thus there would not be a "problem"
    with investments now. People must have been making serious returns from simple bank deposits. So the real inflation
    rate must have been substantially less than 8% after 2014.

    The Russian government should stop worshiping at the altar of the false god of monetarism. Banks need to have the
    whip cracked over them. They should be forced, by regulation, to pay more than the prime rate for bank deposits.
    The CBR should withhold fractional reserve injections to banks if they do not conform. Banks are some of the worst
    rackets on the planet. They pretend that deposits are liabilities even though without deposits they cannot make any
    loans. So that "accounting" is pure BS. Any attempt to skimp on paying proper interest for deposits should be met
    with nationalization of banks that violate the rules.






    Sponsored content


    Russian Economy General News: #11 - Page 34 Empty Re: Russian Economy General News: #11

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu May 26, 2022 11:10 am