Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    avatar
    nero

    Posts : 114
    Points : 114
    Join date : 2019-03-26

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    Post  nero Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:25 am

    Another video from the outskirts of Gorlovka, again near the village of Gagarin's mines. The intensity of the fire increased markedly, the sounds of shelling were heard for about half an hour, after which they subsided.

    https://t.me/medvedev_note/1274

    Pro-separatist sources inform about casualties as a result of the Ukrainian artillery strikes around Horlivka on February 20.

    https://twitter.com/Archer83Able/status/1363842470912667649

    I would ignore the casualty count as I have not seen that corroborated by other sources yet. The conflict is obviously escalating the past few weeks.

    LMFS likes this post

    kvs
    kvs

    Posts : 8748
    Points : 8891
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    Post  kvs Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:40 pm

    flamming_python wrote:
    kvs wrote:Crimean Tatars have way more of a claim on the lands they live on than any Banderastani.   Funny how the west barks so hard
    about "abuses by Russia of Crimean Tatars" but does not actually recognize Crimea as some "-stan" of the Tatars.   It recognizes
    the absurd illegal (under both Soviet and international law) occupation of Crimea by Kiev.   The grab of Sevastopol in 1991
    is an outright invasion since it was never transferred to Soviet Ukraine by Khruschev like the rest of the autonomous republic
    was in 1954.   Imagine Monaco and Liechtenstein just falling into the hands of their neighbours.   That most NATzO residents
    are not aware of these facts does not make them irrelevant.   "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" and all that.


    Sevastopol was transfered to the Ukrainian SSR as well in 1954, together with the Crimean oblast

    That is just some smug dismissal based on nothing.

    https://www.kp.ru/daily/24099/326499/

    За Севастополем в 1948 году был закреплен особый политико-правовой статус (Указ Президиума Верховного Совета РСФСР от 29 октября). При этом играло определяющую роль союзное подчинение города. А оно вытекает из назначения его - быть главной базой Черноморского флота. Согласно Конституции СССР 1936 года военные дела относились к компетенции Союза ССР.

    В текстах постановления Президиума ВС РСФСР от 5 февраля 1954 года «О передаче Крымской области в состав УССР», а также Указа Президиума ВС СССР от 19 февраля 1954 года по тому же вопросу город Севастополь вообще не упоминается. Следовательно, данные документы не затрагивают Указа Президиума ВС РСФСР 1948 года и он сохраняет силу.

    Sevastopol had special legal status. Khruschev's gift makes no mention of the city at all, thus it does not override the status
    of this city. All the rest is pseudo legal rubbish that does not actually conform to law. It is all about claims and beliefs.

    PapaDragon, VARGR198, LMFS and The_Observer like this post

    kvs
    kvs

    Posts : 8748
    Points : 8891
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    Post  kvs Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:53 pm

    And Yeltsin had no legal right to give away Sevastopol in 1991 just as Khruschev had no right to give away Crimea in 1954.
    Commie hacks busy planting their boot on the face of local residents. The 1990 referendum to restore Crimea's autonomy
    was officially recognized by the Ukrainian SSR Rada. So it held force when the USSR dissolved (another illegal move BTW).
    The passage of Crimea into the hands of post-Soviet Ukraine is 100% annexation.

    PapaDragon, VARGR198, LMFS and The_Observer like this post

    franco
    franco

    Posts : 3830
    Points : 3860
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    Post  franco Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:37 pm

    The ceasefire in Donbass has officially ended

    Blood bath

    The longest ceasefire in Donbas officially ended on February 20.

    The tension at the front has been growing since the end of 2020. Injuries and deaths of servicemen, the use of mortars and artillery has become common again. However, such losses, especially those officially confirmed, did not exist for a long time.

    On February 22, the head of the press service of the People's Militia of the DPR, Daniil Bezsonov, made a statement in which he spoke about the clash.

    “Much has been said about the results of the military clash near Horlivka on February 20. The real picture is as follows.

    In the area of ​​the so-called Chigiri, near Gorlovka, the battle began on the night of February 20, and continued in the morning and in the afternoon, when an attempt was made to evacuate the wounded soldiers under mortar and rifle fire from the enemy.

    Our total losses: 7 dead and 6 wounded defenders of the Republic ", - said Bezsonov.

    Also, according to Daniil Besonov, the command gave permission to return fire, during which the firing points of the Armed Forces of Ukraine were suppressed. Moreover, the enemy's losses amounted to 11 people.

    It is impossible to find out how much this version corresponds to reality - Kiev rarely admits combat losses, especially large ones.

    However, the very fact of return fire is confirmed by numerous sources.

    Thunderous silence

    It is noteworthy that the government of the DPR has not commented on such a large clash to date.

    On Sunday, February 21, the head of the DPR Denis Pushilin made a protest note. However, his statement contained completely different figures than Bezsonov's statement.

    According to the head of the republic, as a result of the shelling of the Ukrainian Armed Forces, one soldier was killed, and two more were seriously injured.

    What is the reason for such a big difference in numbers? Denis Pushilin's lack of awareness? Or attempts by the military to hide losses? In any case, today's silence looks tense, to say the least.

    However, something else is much more important. How consistent are the recent statements by Donetsk and Lugansk about their readiness to adequately respond to enemy provocations?

    Will the People's Militia fighters receive an order to completely suppress enemy activity? Or will it be about situational decisions of the command, fraught with delay and unnecessary losses?

    Considering that the Armed Forces of Ukraine will traditionally respond to any weakness with arrogance, how many lives will be needed for the defenders of Donbass and civilians (including citizens of the Russian Federation) to calm Kiev down?

    Indeed, literally on January 21, Colonel Eduard Basurin threateningly declared:

    "In case of continuation of provocative actions by the VFU, the DPR will be forced to give an adequate answer!"

    Bitter holiday

    Probably, at the moment in Donetsk and Lugansk, they are not at all busy solving these issues. And they celebrate February 23, rewarding each other and the "correct" commanders with duty medals (the number of awards on the representatives of the command in the LPNR has long exceeded all reasonable limits).

    They are celebrating, although it would be more logical to declare mourning and hold a civil funeral service. Alas, official events and celebrations in the LPR are often valued much higher than the prestige of military service or even human lives.

    It is not for nothing that fighters sometimes joke bitterly that the republics are "smart".

    Unfortunately, it seems that neither local officials nor local officials still understand that if they do not begin to truly value and cherish every soldier, then in the foreseeable future there will be too few people willing to sign a contract with the People's Militia to fill the trenches. on the front lines.

    Author: Egor Makhov (Lugansk)

    kvs, elconquistador, JohninMK and VARGR198 like this post

    kvs
    kvs

    Posts : 8748
    Points : 8891
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    Post  kvs Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:58 pm

    Say what you want about Trump, but he was no enabler of the Ukr nazis.   Biden the "leftist" is a globalist-imperialist and
    is busy propping up all the terrorists from Ukraine to Syria.   Gotta lubricate that global control agenda...

    LMFS and The_Observer like this post

    franco
    franco

    Posts : 3830
    Points : 3860
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    Post  franco Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:56 pm

    The Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine decided to start restoring control over the border with Russia in Donbass

    As part of the Strategy for Integrated Border Management adopted by the Ukrainian government, which will be in effect until 2025, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine decided to start restoring control over the border with Russia in the Donbas.

    The initiator of this decision, adopted at the government meeting, was the head of the country's Interior Ministry, Arsen Avakov.

    The Ukrainian Cabinet of Ministers decided that it was necessary to begin to prepare to ensure the protection of the border with the Russian Federation on the territory of the former Donetsk and Luhansk regions, which are now independent republics from Ukraine - the DPR and LPR.

    The adoption of the Border Management Strategy by the Ukrainian government took place in the framework of the fulfillment of the obligations to the European Union stipulated by the Association Agreement with the EU. Therefore, Kiev hopes that after the government's announcement of its intention to restore long-lost control over the Russian border in Donbas, Ukraine's relations with European countries will significantly strengthen.

    Earlier, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy spoke about his intention to take control of the border. His predecessor, Petro Poroshenko, said the same.

    Suspect

    No

    LMFS likes this post

    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

    Posts : 5471
    Points : 5445
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    Post  miketheterrible Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:12 pm

    Good, hope Russia then hits at Kiev hard.

    VARGR198 likes this post

    Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

    Posts : 1364
    Points : 1354
    Join date : 2015-12-30
    Location : Merkelland

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    Post  Rodion_Romanovic Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:14 pm

    Interesting (and long) article from the saker

    http://thesaker.is/the-ukraines-many-ticking-time-bombs/
    I am posting the introduction and the conclusions


    the Saker wrote:While the Ukraine has mostly been out of the news, there were bigger stories out there, things have gone disastrously wrong under “Ze” (Zelenskii) and the Ukraine is now looking at several time bombs which could explode at any minute. Here is a partial list of problems which the Ze administration will have to deal with in 2021: (in no particular order)

    The strengthening of the internal opposition to Ze’s rule
    The COVID pandemic, the vaccine scandal and the crumbling Ukrainian infrastructure
    The crackdown on free speech
    The persecution of opponents inside and even outside the Ukraine
    The (limited) rise of (putatively pro-Russian) OPZZh party
    The sharp rise in European rhetoric against Russia which the Ze admin will want to match and cater to
    The hardening of the positions of the LDNR
    A further increase in US/NATO saber rattling and provocations
    The regime in Kiev openly planning for a war against Russia

    (...)

    Conclusion:

    The Ukraine is facing a range of major problems which are unlikely to remain contained to the territory of the Ukraine. Things like crime, or a pandemic, or the rule of the mob are very hard to contain. Sooner or later these inevitably bleed over the border to the neighboring country which then, in turn, has to face the same threats. In theory, Russia, the US and the EU could get together and agree on an international rescue plan, but since the US and EU consider that they are playing a zero sum game against Russia, no western politician will ever openly advocate for a real collaboration with Putin’s Mordor. Putin recently declared that “why does everything revolve around the Nord Stream — 2? They want to make Russia pay for their geopolitical project “Ukraine”, that’s all. In fact, everything is quite primitive, everything is simple, we have long understood this, but this is the world in which we live”. Needless to say, Russia won’t agree to foot the bill for this disastrous experiment russophobic ethnogenesis, if only because she simply does not have the kind of reserves to pay for such a huge program. At most, Russia will continue to help the Donbass, and even in this case Russia (or the LDNR republics) could consider demanding reparations from Kiev and its western sponsors. Again, knowing how western arbitration courts work, that won’t happen either.

    I don’t think that anybody seriously believes that the Donbass or Crimea will ever agree to return under Kiev’s rule, not de facto and not de jure. That is a given. Neither do I believe that the rump Ukraine is a viable entity. The only conclusion I can come to is this: a breakup of the Ukraine might be inevitable. In fact, such a breakup might even be desirable for all parties (except the russophobic warmongering ruling classes of the AngloZionist Empire who want to destroy Russia at any and all cost).

    JohninMK, VARGR198 and LMFS like this post

    Hole
    Hole

    Posts : 3802
    Points : 3798
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 44
    Location : Merkelland

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    Post  Hole Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:57 pm

    As Patrick Armstrong noted, the Saker forget to mention a nuclear disaster.
    kvs
    kvs

    Posts : 8748
    Points : 8891
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    Post  kvs Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:49 pm

    Hole wrote:As Patrick Armstrong noted, the Saker forget to mention a nuclear disaster.

    Indeed the Banderite chimps in Khuyiv are one step away from several Chernobyls.

    flamming_python
    flamming_python

    Posts : 4169
    Points : 4251
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    Post  flamming_python Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:24 am

    Rodion_Romanovic wrote:Interesting (and long) article from the saker

    http://thesaker.is/the-ukraines-many-ticking-time-bombs/
    I am posting the introduction and the conclusions


    the Saker wrote:While the Ukraine has mostly been out of the news, there were bigger stories out there, things have gone disastrously wrong under “Ze” (Zelenskii) and the Ukraine is now looking at several time bombs which could explode at any minute. Here is a partial list of problems which the Ze administration will have to deal with in 2021: (in no particular order)

    The strengthening of the internal opposition to Ze’s rule
    The COVID pandemic, the vaccine scandal and the crumbling Ukrainian infrastructure
    The crackdown on free speech
    The persecution of opponents inside and even outside the Ukraine
    The (limited) rise of (putatively pro-Russian) OPZZh party
    The sharp rise in European rhetoric against Russia which the Ze admin will want to match and cater to
    The hardening of the positions of the LDNR
    A further increase in US/NATO saber rattling and provocations
    The regime in Kiev openly planning for a war against Russia

    (...)

    Conclusion:

    The Ukraine is facing a range of major problems which are unlikely to remain contained to the territory of the Ukraine. Things like crime, or a pandemic, or the rule of the mob are very hard to contain. Sooner or later these inevitably bleed over the border to the neighboring country which then, in turn, has to face the same threats. In theory, Russia, the US and the EU could get together and agree on an international rescue plan, but since the US and EU consider that they are playing a zero sum game against Russia, no western politician will ever openly advocate for a real collaboration with Putin’s Mordor. Putin recently declared that “why does everything revolve around the Nord Stream — 2? They want to make Russia pay for their geopolitical project “Ukraine”, that’s all. In fact, everything is quite primitive, everything is simple, we have long understood this, but this is the world in which we live”. Needless to say, Russia won’t agree to foot the bill for this disastrous experiment russophobic ethnogenesis, if only because she simply does not have the kind of reserves to pay for such a huge program. At most, Russia will continue to help the Donbass, and even in this case Russia (or the LDNR republics) could consider demanding reparations from Kiev and its western sponsors. Again, knowing how western arbitration courts work, that won’t happen either.

    I don’t think that anybody seriously believes that the Donbass or Crimea will ever agree to return under Kiev’s rule, not de facto and not de jure. That is a given. Neither do I believe that the rump Ukraine is a viable entity. The only conclusion I can come to is this: a breakup of the Ukraine might be inevitable. In fact, such a breakup might even be desirable for all parties (except the russophobic warmongering ruling classes of the AngloZionist Empire who want to destroy Russia at any and all cost).


    I'd add to that the utilities bills having been raised again at the start of this year, have now become unbearable for much of the population, as well as the stepped-up Ukrainization policies leading to a sharp rise in dissent. Many in the east who voted for Zelensky are now accusing him of betrayal.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

    Posts : 5471
    Points : 5445
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    Post  miketheterrible Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:47 am

    flamming_python wrote:
    Rodion_Romanovic wrote:Interesting (and long) article from the saker

    http://thesaker.is/the-ukraines-many-ticking-time-bombs/
    I am posting the introduction and the conclusions


    the Saker wrote:While the Ukraine has mostly been out of the news, there were bigger stories out there, things have gone disastrously wrong under “Ze” (Zelenskii) and the Ukraine is now looking at several time bombs which could explode at any minute. Here is a partial list of problems which the Ze administration will have to deal with in 2021: (in no particular order)

    The strengthening of the internal opposition to Ze’s rule
    The COVID pandemic, the vaccine scandal and the crumbling Ukrainian infrastructure
    The crackdown on free speech
    The persecution of opponents inside and even outside the Ukraine
    The (limited) rise of (putatively pro-Russian) OPZZh party
    The sharp rise in European rhetoric against Russia which the Ze admin will want to match and cater to
    The hardening of the positions of the LDNR
    A further increase in US/NATO saber rattling and provocations
    The regime in Kiev openly planning for a war against Russia

    (...)

    Conclusion:

    The Ukraine is facing a range of major problems which are unlikely to remain contained to the territory of the Ukraine. Things like crime, or a pandemic, or the rule of the mob are very hard to contain. Sooner or later these inevitably bleed over the border to the neighboring country which then, in turn, has to face the same threats. In theory, Russia, the US and the EU could get together and agree on an international rescue plan, but since the US and EU consider that they are playing a zero sum game against Russia, no western politician will ever openly advocate for a real collaboration with Putin’s Mordor. Putin recently declared that “why does everything revolve around the Nord Stream — 2? They want to make Russia pay for their geopolitical project “Ukraine”, that’s all. In fact, everything is quite primitive, everything is simple, we have long understood this, but this is the world in which we live”. Needless to say, Russia won’t agree to foot the bill for this disastrous experiment russophobic ethnogenesis, if only because she simply does not have the kind of reserves to pay for such a huge program. At most, Russia will continue to help the Donbass, and even in this case Russia (or the LDNR republics) could consider demanding reparations from Kiev and its western sponsors. Again, knowing how western arbitration courts work, that won’t happen either.

    I don’t think that anybody seriously believes that the Donbass or Crimea will ever agree to return under Kiev’s rule, not de facto and not de jure. That is a given. Neither do I believe that the rump Ukraine is a viable entity. The only conclusion I can come to is this: a breakup of the Ukraine might be inevitable. In fact, such a breakup might even be desirable for all parties (except the russophobic warmongering ruling classes of the AngloZionist Empire who want to destroy Russia at any and all cost).


    I'd add to that the utilities bills having been raised again at the start of this year, have now become unbearable for much of the population, as well as the stepped-up Ukrainization policies leading to a sharp rise in dissent. Many in the east who voted for Zelensky are now accusing him of betrayal.

    How much does utilities cost now?
    LMFS
    LMFS

    Posts : 2992
    Points : 2994
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    Post  LMFS Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:26 am

    Electricity bill pretty much doubled this year from what I have read...
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

    Posts : 8276
    Points : 8357
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    Post  JohninMK Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:22 pm

    NATO influence growing.

    ZOKA
    @200_zoka
    ·
    15h
    Today Ukrainian army shell Jelenovka with 60mm mortars.
    As Russian television says with NATO standard grenades.......

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 EvGO17BXIAE6uv3?format=jpg&name=360x360

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 EvGO0AHXAAMXiOW?format=jpg&name=360x360
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 27966
    Points : 28494
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    Post  GarryB Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:36 am

    Therefore, Kiev hopes that after the government's announcement of its intention to restore long-lost control over the Russian border in Donbas, Ukraine's relations with European countries will significantly strengthen.

    Sounds like they are doing this to improve relations with the EU rather than any attempt to fulfil their commitments and a solution to the situation...

    With such poor intentions I doubt there will be any positive progress...

    Today Ukrainian army shell Jelenovka with 60mm mortars.
    As Russian television says with NATO standard grenades.......

    The Soviets never used 60mm calibre weapons... if it was a T-14 tank that was captured that would be a smoking gun, but it seems only Russian interference in this conflict is a problem... HATO influence is part of the solution... Rolling Eyes

    VARGR198 likes this post

    LMFS
    LMFS

    Posts : 2992
    Points : 2994
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    Post  LMFS Today at 2:08 am

    Good articles by Ischenko about the current, increasingly dangerous situation in Ukraine. They are long but very insightful:

    https://ukraina.ru/opinion/20210218/1030596339.html
    https://ukraina.ru/opinion/20210220/1030625943.html

    Sponsored content

    The Situation in the Ukraine. #28 - Page 29 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #28

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:52 pm