1) Indian has Bought Approx 1600 T-90S and not the MS version.
- Approx 1000 of T-90S are already in service
2)T-90S would come for an mid life upgrade as its almost 14years since first 124 were inducted in 2001-02
- Upgrade would definitely involve technology and components from T-90 MS/ T-14/ Arjun
3) Next 10years Indian Army will not get a chance to induct any MBT in numbers, only small numbers will be inducted in lots of 100 over 3-4 years time, nothing more.
- so the next MBT big buy will come around 2025-27 period.
4) FICV in the big buy project for Indian Mechanized forces
- As per the project, it has to be Made in India, by an Indian company.
- Indian company can have partnership with foreign vendors.
- Most indication are that 2 different designs will be selected for tests and eventually one will be selected.
- Indian MoD will fund some % of both the design development cost.
- As with most Indian projects, this project has hit some roadblocks and slowed down, it should pick up by next year.
5) The current project of around 1500+ BMP 2 upgrade is what is on the cards. (most likely upgraded to BMP 2M standard)
I believe reports in Indian media about below par performance of Russian equipment are all paid news and none of the are any kind of official view.