Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 9704
    Points : 9786
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  PapaDragon on Wed May 06, 2020 6:57 pm


    Yaroslav Mudrii in Kaliningrad after escorting Akademik Cherskiy

    People say this ship was dead end but it looks to be like it's more than earning his keep (tour in Syria, anti-piracy ops, patrols all over the planet and now escorting pipelayer)

    Overhauling it was definitely money well spent

    Do we have news on it's sister ship (Neustrashimyy)? I heard it's being fixed up as well

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 W1siZiIsIjIwMjAvMDUvMDQvMTl6OTF2cDAzNV9maWxlLmpwZWciXV0?sha=42cc1182ae0824c8
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 2134
    Points : 2136
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  Big_Gazza on Thu May 07, 2020 2:35 am

    The Neustrashimyy class was a good design considering its late CW origins, and IMHO a big improvement on the Krivaks (especially the Mudry with her Urans). There might only be two completed units, but that was more to do with the demise of the USSR, not any weaknesses in the design. Calling them "dead ends" sounds a lot like the usual dismissal of Russian miltech by biased Western writers.

    The Neustrashimy is AFAIK still tied up at the Baltiysk shipyard, Google earth image from Mar 2020

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Neustr10
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

    Posts : 1885
    Points : 2034
    Join date : 2011-09-14

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  TheArmenian on Thu May 07, 2020 3:46 am

    Speaking of Russian Frigates, The Burevestnik (Krivak) class Ladnyy is back in service after having her engines replaced by the ones from the Kara class cruiser Kerch (which is gone to the scrapyard).

    The veteran Ladnyy will take part in the 9th of May festivities, she is now part of the line of ships anchored in the Sevastopol bay.

    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 2134
    Points : 2136
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  Big_Gazza on Thu May 07, 2020 12:48 pm

    TheArmenian wrote:Speaking of Russian Frigates, The Burevestnik (Krivak) class Ladnyy is back in service after having her engines replaced by the ones from the Kara class cruiser Kerch (which is gone to the scrapyard).

    Interesting... I never realised that the low-power turbines on the 1134B were also used as the main turbines of the 1135. Yeah, that makes sense I guess.
    Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

    Posts : 1241
    Points : 1239
    Join date : 2015-12-30
    Location : Merkelland

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  Rodion_Romanovic on Thu May 07, 2020 1:08 pm

    Big_Gazza wrote:
    TheArmenian wrote:Speaking of Russian Frigates, The Burevestnik (Krivak) class Ladnyy is back in service after having her engines replaced by the ones from the Kara class cruiser Kerch (which is gone to the scrapyard).

    Interesting... I never realised that the low-power turbines on the 1134B were also used as the main turbines of the 1135.  Yeah, that makes sense I guess.
    as patrol ship and for additional antisub work it is probably ok, even if it is under armed for a modern frigate and it has a large complement of people in comparison to its capabilities.

    The main advantages it has in comparison to a 22160 patrol ship is that Ladny has a sonar (by the way, does anyone knows if the sonar was updated?), torpedo tubes and antisub weapons (but I do not know if she can carry antisub helicopters)...

    Anyway, it is a 40 years old antisub patrol ship, but it can still be useful for a few years until a proper replacement is built (either a proper frigate or even an antisub version of project 22160 patrol ship).
    Hole
    Hole

    Posts : 3374
    Points : 3372
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 44
    Location : Merkelland

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  Hole on Thu May 07, 2020 5:53 pm

    No helicopter.

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 002310
    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 006310
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 9704
    Points : 9786
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  PapaDragon on Thu May 07, 2020 6:29 pm

    Big_Gazza wrote:...The Neustrashimy is AFAIK still tied up at the Baltiysk shipyard, Google earth image from Mar 2020

    I can't tell if they are working on it or they just left it there to rot

    Do they plan on getting it back into service?



    Rodion_Romanovic wrote:...Anyway, it is a 40 years old antisub patrol ship, but it can still be useful for a few years until a proper replacement is built (either a proper frigate or even an antisub version of project 22160 patrol ship).

    There will be no anti-sub version of 22160, Steregushi class seems to be go-to solution for anti-sub procurement

    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 2134
    Points : 2136
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  Big_Gazza on Thu May 07, 2020 11:51 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Big_Gazza wrote:...The Neustrashimy is AFAIK still tied up at the Baltiysk shipyard, Google earth image from Mar 2020

    I can't tell if they are working on it or they just left it there to rot

    Do they plan on getting it back into service?

    They certainly seem to be working on her, but just as with the Pr.1155 Shaposnikov and Chabanenko, progress seems to be glacial, a bit like watching a kettle boil...

    I think this pic shows progress around May 2019.  Main radar replaced, hull painted, various equip refits/repairs underway. Best I can tell they are saying she will rejoin the Baltic fleet in 2020.

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 09-73810
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 9704
    Points : 9786
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri May 08, 2020 1:06 am

    Big_Gazza wrote:...They certainly seem to be working on her, but just as with the Pr.1155 Shaposnikov and Chabanenko, progress seems to be glacial, a bit like watching a kettle boil...

    I think this pic shows progress around May 2019. Main radar replaced, hull painted, various equip refits/repairs underway. Best I can tell they are saying she will rejoin the Baltic fleet in 2020.

    That looks better than expected

    Hopefully they slap it together this year, having another warship on the roster can only be a good thing

    Considering how much juice they have been getting out of Yaroslav Mudrii this one definitely has potential to it



    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 6633
    Points : 6623
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  Isos on Fri May 08, 2020 1:17 am

    When you see what the british send to escort russian ships, it makes this class look like gold ships.
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

    Posts : 4885
    Points : 4881
    Join date : 2016-08-15
    Location : AZ, USA

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  Tsavo Lion on Fri May 08, 2020 4:34 am

    Hopefully they slap it together this year, having another warship on the roster can only be a good thing
    "It is expected that Undaunted will be handed over to the fleet in mid-2020," the source said. Before returning to combat duty, the ship will undergo all types of sea trials.
    Undaunted began major repairs at the Baltic Yantar Shipyard (part of the United Shipbuilding Corporation) in 2014.

    https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/7048578
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 2134
    Points : 2136
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  Big_Gazza on Fri May 08, 2020 5:15 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:Considering how much juice they have been getting out of Yaroslav Mudrii this one definitely has potential to it

    Yeah, I was hoping they would fit Urans to Neustrashimy like the Mudry but no sign so far. I wonder why, given Urans would be ideal for Baltic sea ops.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 9704
    Points : 9786
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri May 08, 2020 5:56 pm

    Big_Gazza wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:Considering how much juice they have been getting out of Yaroslav Mudrii this one definitely has potential to it

    Yeah, I was hoping they would fit Urans to Neustrashimy like the Mudry but no sign so far. I wonder why, given Urans would be ideal for Baltic sea ops.

    Strapping on Urans should not be hard at all and there's still time to do it

    It doesn't require any modifications to the structure and they already did it once before so there are no possible surprises

    It will probably be last thing on the list



    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 2134
    Points : 2136
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  Big_Gazza on Sat May 09, 2020 2:49 am

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Big_Gazza wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:Considering how much juice they have been getting out of Yaroslav Mudrii this one definitely has potential to it

    Yeah, I was hoping they would fit Urans to Neustrashimy like the Mudry but no sign so far.  I wonder why, given Urans would be ideal for Baltic sea ops.

    Strapping on Urans should not be hard at all and there's still time to do it

    It doesn't require any modifications to the structure and they already did it once before so there are no possible surprises

    It will probably be last thing on the list

    On the Mudry there is an additional structure that lies between the Uran launcher racks which I've assume is an equipment room to house the Uran control racks and other ancillary equipment, and there is no sign of anything similar on Neustrashimy. Maybe they are choosing to keep this area vacant so that containerised modules can be fitted if ever needed?

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Yarosl10
    avatar
    Arrow

    Posts : 707
    Points : 707
    Join date : 2012-02-12

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  Arrow on Sat May 09, 2020 11:13 am

    It seems that today there will be no keel for two 885M submarine, two frigates 22350 and two helicopters carriers.
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 2134
    Points : 2136
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  Big_Gazza on Sat May 09, 2020 11:44 am

    Arrow wrote:It seems that today there will be no keel for two 885M submarine, two frigates 22350 and two helicopters carriers.

    Pfftt.. a little delay due to COVID-19 issues. Settle down little troll and take your hand out of your trousers.
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 26613
    Points : 27151
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  GarryB on Sun May 10, 2020 3:35 am

    No helicopter.

    Probably the biggest flaw in the first two Krivak versions was the lack of helicopter facilities... especially considering its primary armament is the anti sub SS-N-14 Metel.

    The third class of Krivak ships removed the front mounted Metel launcher and replaced it with a 100mm gun, while the rear guns were replaced with a helicopter pad and facilities... ironically they were for border patrol in the KGB, so likely no sub hunting role there...

    It seems that today there will be no keel for two 885M submarine, two frigates 22350 and two helicopters carriers.

    Of course... delays in laying down ships is clearly evidence that the Russian MIC is incompetent and has nothing to do with a pandemic currently sweeping the world.

    What a shame there was no pandemic when the Zumwalts or the Ford or the LCS were being laid down... could have saved the US taxpayer 70 billion dollars...
    avatar
    Arrow

    Posts : 707
    Points : 707
    Join date : 2012-02-12

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  Arrow on Sun May 10, 2020 9:05 am

    So there will be a lot of delays in building ships through a pandemic or maybe it is just a matter of changing the date of the ceremony but it is not known when
    Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

    Posts : 1241
    Points : 1239
    Join date : 2015-12-30
    Location : Merkelland

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  Rodion_Romanovic on Sun May 10, 2020 11:38 am

    GarryB wrote:
    No helicopter.

    Probably the biggest flaw in the first two Krivak versions was the lack of helicopter facilities... especially considering its primary armament is the anti sub SS-N-14 Metel.

    The third class of Krivak ships removed the front mounted Metel launcher and replaced it with a 100mm gun, while the rear guns were replaced with a helicopter pad and facilities... ironically they were for border patrol in the KGB, so likely no sub hunting role there...
    Yeah, krivak IV (taiwar class and grigorovich class) solved the problem, but now the russian navy can build also the more capable Gorshkov class.
    As mentioned above,  20380 class is taking over the antisub role (and it carries an helicopter)... the only disadvantage is the reduced range and endurance (15 vs 30 days) in comparison to Krivak class.....

    For that reason I mentioned an antisub variant of the smaller 22160, since it has a good endurance, but probably to have decent antisub capabilities you need to put there more people and modules (including sonars and dedicated electronics), thereby compromising the endurance

    22160 has a good endurance probably because it is lightly armed...
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 6633
    Points : 6623
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  Isos on Mon May 11, 2020 1:41 am

    News from the past Very Happy


    The First Casualty - Falklands War History
    ·
    16h
    May 10th: #OTD in the #Falklands war, a 100 mile Exclusion Zone is declared around Ascension, as Soviet aircraft and submarines have been in the area. This is an actual photo of Ascension taken from a Soviet sub at the time. They got close, and were passing Intel to Argentina.

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Exo33w10
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 26613
    Points : 27151
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  GarryB on Mon May 11, 2020 11:48 am

    They got close, and were passing Intel to Argentina.

    Why not?

    The Soviets are not obliged to help the UK maintain its tentacles on its colonies around the world...
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

    Posts : 7984
    Points : 8067
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  JohninMK on Mon May 11, 2020 6:09 pm

    Isos wrote:News from the past Very Happy


    The First Casualty - Falklands War History
    ·
    16h
    May 10th: #OTD in the #Falklands war, a 100 mile Exclusion Zone is declared around Ascension, as Soviet aircraft and submarines have been in the area. This is an actual photo of Ascension taken from a Soviet sub at the time. They got close, and were passing Intel to Argentina.

    That photo, not what it seems

    Capt(N)
    @Capt_Navy
    ·
    6h
    This photo was taken from the Zaporozh`ye, a Primor'ye Class of intelligence collection ship during a deployment in the Atlantic in the spring and summer of 1982. The claim about the submarine is just fake.
    avatar
    hoom

    Posts : 2156
    Points : 2146
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Russian navy

    Post  hoom on Fri May 15, 2020 10:30 am

    16 of these would be perfection
    First they need at least that many modern Frigates & Corvettes completed, at least 3 of each per fleet & should be 6 of each.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 6633
    Points : 6623
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  Isos on Fri May 15, 2020 10:49 am

    hoom wrote:
    16 of these would be perfection
    First they need at least that many modern Frigates & Corvettes completed, at least 3 of each per fleet & should be 6 of each.

    That's almost done !

    Black sea has got the 3 Grigirovitch and some buyan M.

    The steregoushchy and derivates are in service in good numbers in the other fleets and they keep producing them.

    They have 3 ready Gorshkov and keep producing them.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

    Posts : 1885
    Points : 2034
    Join date : 2011-09-14

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  TheArmenian on Fri May 15, 2020 5:34 pm

    Some news bits :

    - The Georgy Kurbatov minesweeper will be launched during June 2020. This is the project 12700 vessel that burned at the plant during construction. The damage has been repaired.

    - The 8th project 12700 minesweeper will be laid down this summer

    - Yantar shipyard is building 2 project 11356 frigates for the Indian navy. These are the ex- Admirals Butakov and Istomin. It is now confirmed that they will have Ukrainian engines.

    - The project 20380 corvette Retivy that was launched earlier this March is destined to the Black Sea fleet.

    - A project 22160 class ship is very active in the East Mediterranean, it was seen recently in the port of Tartous, Syria. Probably the D. Rogachov.

    - The veteran Smetlivy will no longer sail. She is now being fitted as a museum ship.

    - The 7500 tons project 23700 Rescue vessel Voevoda will begin sea trials this fall.

    - The Black Sea Fleet will receive the 3500 T project 03182 tanker Vice Admiral Pomarov at the end of this year or early next year.


    Sponsored content

    Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:21 pm