Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Navy: Status and News #5

GarryB
    GarryB

Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

Post  GarryB on Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:30 am

The map would have rather more impact if all the new Russian and Chinese activity centred around those cable locations but it clearly does not.

They are clearly pulling this shit out of their ass... how can we get politicians who don't give a shit about what we think is important to care?

We can't make it about money because we want them to spend a shit load more money on the services we provide, so lets make it about some national security thing... so either communications or nuclear weapons... lets go for communications...

The huge irony is that any extra money given will just get us closer to more direct confrontations and aggression from the west which might lead to their hoped for nuclear conflagaration... which is going to lead to lots of nuclear explosions that will do more to effect world wide communications than anything the Chinese or Russian navies are actually doing.

In this case the crime of the Russian and Chinese navies that requires lots and lots of taxpayers money is that they are sailing in international waters... I mean have you guys even looked at that map... what do the dots mean... is each the terminator in a Russian and Chinese patrol where they stopped there and observed western shipping and naval activity? Or are they multiple points on what are clearly Russian and Chinese ship related trips to south America in the Pacific and Russian trips to Cuba and Venezuela in the Atlantic... would would equate to normal commerical and military interests and therefore nothing out of the ordinary requiring extra funding or action.
    hoom

Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status and News #5

Post  hoom on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:17 am

The green lines are the World's undersea cable network.
    Jebus chribes US has become unbelievably orwellian  scratch
    Correlation != causation.
    And random Iran! and Best Korea! wtf.

Ships and cables take the shortest route OMG whodathunkit.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos on Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:12 pm

There is like 500km btw the ships and cables. They could have opened Paint and change it to match their propaganda. Not even need for photoshop lol1 .

However it would be weired if Russia doesn't monitor such strategic assests like submarine cable that connect Europe to USA. That's totally normal, that's why they have intel ships ... but saying they spend all the time doing this is stupid. The cables don't move.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:26 am

It is really paranoia because for most of the cold war the west sent secret missions with subs to tap in to under sea cables used by the Russian military to communicate with its allies and fleet, so being total censored they just assume Russia and China will do the same to them... except the volume of western traffic on those cables would require enormous amounts of computing power... humint is much more effective... like Assange and Snowden, who reveal to the world all the dirty secrets of the west, not for money or loyalty to the Kremlin, but based on actual western values of right and wrong they know western governments are doing wrong and want the world to know because they think their might be a backlash and things will get fixed... the reality is that as long as things are going OK most westerners don't give a fuck.

Very simply to become a millionaire or billionaire you need to have screwed a lot of people and also avoided a lot of bad people who wanted to take what you had... you can't become a billionaire and be a good person.... give me a billion dollars and I would be a millionaire in months... I would be buying expensive equipment for the local hospital and paying off peoples debts, giving money to people over 30 years old who still work in minimum wage jobs... I don't know how people can spend 10,000 dollars on a fucking watch... mine cost $13... and it works fine.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos on Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:09 am

Funny part is that the map shows chinese activity in russian territorial waters near ssbn bases lol1
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos on Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:05 pm

Rob Lee
    @RALee85
    ·
    19h
    According to Izvestia, the Russian Navy has determined that the modernization of the Smerch Project 1234 Nanuchka-class corvette was successful and the Pacific Fleet's other 4 Project 1234, the Moroz, Iney, and Razliv, will be upgraded as well
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole on Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:49 pm

thumbsup
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:21 pm

The major harbour extensions at Novorossiysk Naval Base are well under way now.

The photos are from different dates. Higher quality photos are at https://twitter.com/Capt_Navy/status/1228288455085641728

Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 7 EQvB1XTW4AA13_i?format=jpg&name=360x360

Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 7 EQvA5xBX0AEeVu0?format=jpg&name=360x360

Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 7 EQvA5rAW4AE8Lj6?format=jpg&name=360x360
    franco
    franco

Post  franco on Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:43 pm

Kerch Officially Retired

On the morning of February 15, 2020, in a festive atmosphere, in accordance with the order of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation No. 812 on the large anti-submarine ship "Kerch" of project 1134B, serial number C-2003 of 1974 of construction was lowered a naval flag. The ship was part of the 30th division of surface ships of the Black Sea Fleet, and is now transferred to the category of military property of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation. It is worth noting that this is the last ship of this series - project 1134B / BF code "Berkut-B". In August 2011, the Ochakov PKK of project 1134B was also excluded from the Black Sea Fleet (today its corps continues to remain off the coast of Lake Donuzlav after participating in the operation to return Crimea). The BCP “Kerch” went through a glorious military history, I will not describe many of its campaigns and military services completed before 1990, but I would like to say more about the last years of the ship’s life. The last exit of the ship to the far sea zone took place in November 1998 when he paid an official visit to France, after which all tasks were solved in the Black Sea. From 1994 to 1997, the ship was the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet. In the period 2000-2010, he took an active part in the exercises and maneuvers of the Black Sea Fleet. In 2005, a scheduled repair was carried out in Novorossiysk whose entrance was eliminated by many comments. Beginning in September 2014, a gradual repair of the ship’s armament began, but the tragic event (November 4, 2014) resulting in the burning out of a large area in the engine room with damage to the stern of the ship determined its future fate. After the fire, the ship underwent dock repair, after which it was put on a regular place in Holland Bay. In 2015, the commission of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation, assessing the damage and the further inexpediency of restoring the ship, concluded that it was withdrawn from the fleet. Beginning in August 2015, the ship was withdrawn from the design team of the Navy with the further disbandment of the crew. Subsequently, a gradual dismantling of the ship at its own pier began. Part of the armament was dismantled and sent to some museums in Sevastopol. He served 45 years as part of the Navy BPC “Kerch”! About 220,000 nautical miles have been covered during this time. This was the last BOD, which is part of the Black Sea Fleet, now only one rank 1 ship remains at the Black Sea Fleet - the Nakhimov Order of the GRKR “Moscow” whose service life is extended until 2030.
    hoom

Post  hoom on Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:57 pm

Good, it was clearly never going to be repaired so keeping it on the books was not really doing anything useful.
    But it must have had sentimental value for someone in the command to be kept 'active' for so long.
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza on Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:52 am

Hopefully Kerch will now be retired as a museum ship, given that she is the last of her kind?

For the same reasons I'd like to see the Pr.61 Smetlivy also retired to museum duty when her time comes (yeah, the class would continue for awhile in the INS Rajput & sisters, but it ain't the same...).
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:44 am

Big_Gazza wrote:Hopefully Kerch will now be retired as a museum ship, given that she is the last of her kind?

For the same reasons I'd like to see the Pr.61 Smetlivy also retired to museum duty when her time comes (yeah, the class would continue for awhile in the INS Rajput & sisters, but it ain't the same...).

Smetlivy is already slated for conversion to museum ship (selected location is Sevastopol)

Kerch will be getting scraped

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:08 am

She was a busy looking ship, there was no empty space that was flat and boring like the more modern Russian ships... I liked the way she looked... business like and purposeful...

Russian Navy: Status and News #5 - Page 7 Bolsho10
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:37 am

With all those huge antennas they can put a nuclear plant and use it as a directed energy weapon carrier. Laughing
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:02 pm

Save fuel and use it as a sailing ship...
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza on Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:15 pm

PapaDragon wrote:Kerch will be getting scraped

Day-um...

The 1134 Kresta I and 1134A Kresta II are gone without trace, and now the 1134B Kara... I grew up with these ships, looking at them in fuzzy B&W pics in books and magazines. Its sad to see them vanish without trace like so many other great lines have previously. Sad

Oh well, I'll cheer up once the Nahkimov gets underway on her first combat mission post-rebuild. Very Happy
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs on Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:07 pm

Big_Gazza wrote:

Day-um...

The 1134 Kresta I and 1134A Kresta II are gone without trace, and now the 1134B Kara...  I grew up with these ships, looking at them in fuzzy B&W pics in books and magazines. Its sad to see them vanish without trace like so many other great lines have previously.  Sad

Oh well, I'll cheer up once the Nahkimov gets underway on her first combat mission post-rebuild.  Very Happy

Russia is diseased with 5th column saboteurs. I smell rot in the decision to scrap. It actually costs money to scrap ships so
    why the hurry?

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:01 pm

kvs wrote:Russia is diseased with 5th column saboteurs. I smell rot in the decision to scrap...

Is there anything you don't smell 5th column in?

kvs wrote:It actually costs money to scrap ships so why the hurry?

What hurry? It's been rotting away for years doing nothing.

This ship isn't remarkable or historically significant. If they really wanted to preserve one then Ochakov would be better choice

franco
    franco

Post  franco on Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:12 pm

kvs wrote:
    Big_Gazza wrote:

Day-um...

The 1134 Kresta I and 1134A Kresta II are gone without trace, and now the 1134B Kara...  I grew up with these ships, looking at them in fuzzy B&W pics in books and magazines. Its sad to see them vanish without trace like so many other great lines have previously.  Sad

Oh well, I'll cheer up once the Nahkimov gets underway on her first combat mission post-rebuild.  Very Happy

Russia is diseased with 5th column saboteurs.  I smell rot in the decision to scrap.   It actually costs money to scrap ships so
    why the hurry?

It has not sailed in forever... fire destroyed the engines and time to let the old girl go out with some dignity.

Last edited by franco on Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    hoom

Post  hoom on Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:39 am

Kerch will be getting scraped
    That is a shame cry

I'm happy for it to be out of service because its grossly obsolete but Karas were pretty amazing for their time & it'd be cool to have one still around as a museum.
    On the other hand its a lot of ship to maintain & from recollection they're having trouble maintaining the Sverdlov thats already a museum ship.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Russian Baltic Fleet ships set off for Atlantic deployment

The warships are carrying anti-terror squads from the Baltic Fleet’s marine infantry

KALININGRAD, February 19. /TASS/. The Baltic Fleet’s naval group comprising the corvette Stoiky and the large amphibious warfare ship Korolyov departed from the naval base of Baltiysk in Russia’s westernmost Kaliningrad Region and set off for their deployment to the Atlantic, the Fleet’s press office reported on Wednesday.

"The corvette Stoiky and the large amphibious assault ship Korolyov have embarked on a long-distance mission in accordance with their combat training plan for 2020 as part of the Baltic Fleet’s permanent presence in the area of its responsibility," the press office said in a statement.

The warships are carrying anti-terror squads from the Baltic Fleet’s marine infantry, the statement says.

During its deployment in distant waters, the Baltic Fleet’s naval group will fulfil a number of tasks to search for a notional enemy’s submarines with the help of basic anti-submarine warfare systems and a deck-based Ka-27 helicopter, repel a simulated enemy’s air attack and missile strike. In addition, the naval sailors will fire small artillery guns and small arms to strike naval targets, according to the statement.

Marine infantry units will hold anti-terror drills to repel an attack by notional terrorists on the ship during anchorages in an unsafe roadstead and in the course of passing through straits, the press office said.

https://tass.com/defense/1121845
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos on Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:49 am

Rob Lee
    @RALee85
    ·
    1h
    Vedomosti reports that the Amur Shipbuilding Plant (ASZ) may receive an order for 10 Project 20380 corvettes, valued at 180 billion rubles, for the Pacific Fleet. It would be the largest such order in Russian history, and may be signed in 2021.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov on Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:01 am

Isos wrote:Rob Lee
    @RALee85
    ·
    1h
    Vedomosti reports that the Amur Shipbuilding Plant (ASZ) may receive an order for 10 Project 20380 corvettes, valued at 180 billion rubles, for the Pacific Fleet. It would be the largest such order in Russian history, and may be signed in 2021.

They must be tight on cash to go for 20380's, Gremy's would be a much better choice.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos on Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:59 am

They are faster and cheaper to build. I guess they will keep money for Gorshkov.

Gremyashy are over expensive, price close to a Gorshkov.
    Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

Post  Rodion_Romanovic on Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:15 am

Isos wrote:They are faster and cheaper to build. I guess they will keep money for Gorshkov.

Gremyashy are over expensive, price close to a Gorshkov.
    Price similar to grigorovich, half of Gorshkov, as far as I remember having read in an article posted in this forum a few years ago.

However the base model of 20380 does not have UKSK launchers... if they are going to build now new of them maybe it would be worth to have platforms capable of launching calibr and onyx missiles... furthermore the last couple of 20380 being built at amur amur shipyard apparently have the same mast and radar as 20385...

Anyways Amur had several problems and a lot of delays, but apparently now they are able to cope with the task of building such large corvettes... if so it is a good thing to give them a large order and the possibility of planning in time for the work...

The important thing is that Severnaya verf does not build more of these ships... they are useful, but they can be built elsewhere

Maybe they could even offload some of the construction of smaller missile ships 22800 to other shipyards in the east, like khabarovsk shipyard or the eastern shipyard in vladivostok, in order to concentrate on large corvettes and small/medium frigates...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:20 am