Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+68
bitcointrader70
ALAMO
Podlodka77
Atmosphere
Lennox
mnztr
Krepost
Autodestruct
franco
Rasisuki Nebia
Gomig-21
Lurk83
Russian_Patriot_
x_54_u43
Broski
Mir
lancelot
limb
Backman
tanino
owais.usmani
LMFS
lyle6
zepia
TMA1
thegopnik
Scorpius
The-thing-next-door
KoTeMoRe
Tai Hai Chen
PhSt
d_taddei2
eridan
Viktor
JohninMK
magnumcromagnon
ult
Rodion_Romanovic
AMCXXL
Regular
hoom
Cyberspec
calripson
ultimatewarrior
SeigSoloyvov
archangelski
Gazputin
George1
flamming_python
kvs
Nibiru
GunshipDemocracy
miketheterrible
zg18
Isos
medo
GarryB
Tsavo Lion
PapaDragon
Arrow
xeno
Hole
Big_Gazza
ATLASCUB
marcellogo
dino00
william.boutros
Austin
72 posters

S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

owais.usmani

S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 16 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

Post  owais.usmani Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:57 pm

LMFS wrote:

https://www.vesti.ru/article/2527042

Complete video:

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:24 pm

S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 16 Ohotni14
    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 16 Ohotni15
    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 16 Ohotni16

GarryB, medo, George1, dino00, magnumcromagnon, Big_Gazza, tanino and like this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:22 am

Sources called the start date for testing the second Hunter drone."

MOSCOW, 17 Mar-RIA Novosti. Construction of the second prototype of the S-70 Okhotnik heavy strike drone, which has received an updated design, will be completed in late summer, at the same time the vehicle will be rolled out of the workshop and its ground tests will begin, two sources in the military-industrial complex told RIA Novosti.
    "Completion of construction and roll-out of the second prototype of the Okhotnik unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) from the shop of the Chkalov Novosibirsk aviation plant (NAZ) are scheduled for the end of summer. Immediately after that, the stage of ground testing of the UAV will begin, including engine starts, checks of on-Board systems and units of the device, taxiing and Jogging along the runway, and much more, " one of the Agency's interlocutors said.
    Another source stressed that the second UAV has significant design differences from the first sample. According to the source, "the first Okhotnik is more of an experimental technology demonstrator, while the second Is an experimental pre-production vehicle."
    He confirmed the timing of ground tests of the new Okhotnik and clarified that "it is planned to lift the device into the air for the first time at the end of this or early next year."

The United aircraft Corporation (UAC) did not comment on the information provided by the sources to RIA Novosti.
    As RIA Novosti reported in early February, NAZ is building three more prototypes of the Okhotnik heavy attack UAV, which are planned to be connected to flight tests in 2022-2023. Then, in particular, it was noted that changes will be made to the design of the second device based on the operating experience of the first "Hunter".
    The s-70 Okhotnik was developed at the Sukhoi design Bureau (part of the rostec state Corporation UAC) and is designed according to the flying wing aerodynamic scheme. According to open sources, the length of the drone is 14 meters, the wingspan is 19 meters, and the take-off weight is 20 tons. "Okhotnik" has a subsonic maximum flight speed and is made using materials that reduce radar visibility.
    The first flight of the first "Hunter", as reported in the Ministry of defense, took place on August 3, 2019. During the flight tests, according to RIA Novosti sources, the UAV has already used aviation weapons, including the drone bombed a ground target at the Ashuluk training ground.
    Serial deliveries of "Hunters" to The aerospace forces of the Russian Federation, noted earlier in the UAC, should begin in 2024.

Odin in the sky is not a warrior
    According to Denis Fedutinov, a leading expert in the field of unmanned aviation, the greatest effect of using the s-70 Okhotnik Can be achieved by organizing its interaction with other manned and unmanned aerial vehicles and forming reconnaissance and strike aviation groups based on them.
    "This will require fairly large-scale applied research aimed at increasing the autonomy of the Hunter's actions, as well as organizing effective interaction of heterogeneous reconnaissance and strike assets while minimizing human involvement in this process, "the expert stressed.
    He added that "one of the intrigues of the upcoming flight tests, in particular, is how the interaction of the two Hunters will be tested.
    Fedutinov clarified that in addition to autonomy, development of communication channels and automation of interaction, the concept of using heavy UAVs and ways to integrate them into the grouping of forces and means is of key importance. According to the expert, serious efforts will be required by research organizations of the Russian defense Ministry to form the concept of embedding and using "Hunters" in the framework of reconnaissance and strike systems, including manned aircraft, UAVs and other forces and means.
    He added that progress in these areas is likely to be associated with significant financial and, importantly, time costs that exceed the cost of creating the UAV itself.

https://ria.ru/20210317/bespilotnik-1601569846.html

dino00, magnumcromagnon, tanino, thegopnik, Hole and lancelot like this post

tanino

Post  tanino Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:54 pm

From the photo material, it is assumed that RAM, Autoclave technology (for dielectric joints) and packaging presses are the same (?) as KNAAPO, which is making the Su-57. So we would have the same degree of finish but with a much but much superior stealth design (no pilot, smaller etc etc etc).

Perhaps (ironically) one of the stealthiest vehicles.

It's funny. Smile
    thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:40 pm

tanino wrote:From the photo material, it is assumed that RAM, Autoclave technology (for dielectric joints) and packaging presses are the same (?) as KNAAPO, which is making the Su-57. So we would have the same degree of finish but with a much but much superior stealth design (no pilot, smaller etc etc etc).

Perhaps (ironically) one of the stealthiest vehicles.

It's funny. Smile

What I also find funny is pissing off western fanboys by using their own rules of stealth against them. they claim shit like .00000001m2 but have claimed B-2 has .0001m2 and technically speaking the Su-70 is like a B-2 but smaller size, so I can pull less than .0001m2 RCS figures out of my ass because they barely or do not even talk about the Su-70's stealth features at all. Meaning that by following their rules, any complaints they I have I can accuse them of being hypocrites

Because of those RCS estimates that means all combat will be done at a short range engagement, and I have confidence that the Su-70 will be testing air to air missiles but more than likely short range air to air missiles, I dont have to worry about using K-77M, the ramjet version of it or K-37M because the RCS figures they pull out of their ass would mean either aircraft will only see each other at a short range.

If I claim using photonic radars my Su-70 will have superior detection and immunity to EW, meaning that the Su-70 will see F-35 1st with 1st shot and 1st kill, because after all to western fanboys stealth and BVR is everything. Claim the Su-70 at less than 1/10th the cost of the F-35 can defeat the F-35 with said arguments and watch them have a mental breakdown, the end.

Big_Gazza and Backman like this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:16 pm

Physical size of an aircraft is very relevant to its RCS vs frequency performance, so it is risky to say Okhotnik is x times stealthier than B-2 just because it is X times smaller, because it could be actually easier to detect with low frequency radars. But of course now the Russians have a plane that fulfils all "internet-expert-level" musts for VLO design, Western haters will make up all sorts of esoteric theories to dismiss it and that is going to be funny to watch clown

GarryB, Big_Gazza, kvs and thegopnik like this post

tanino

Post  tanino Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:15 am

I totally agree.

We have then, a very interesting aspect.
    What interests me most is the degree of semi-automatism that S-70 will probably inaugurate and as per the best Russian tradition, will then cascade to all systems that require it.

So the level of programming (of very high quality, demonstrated by the progress and by the projects of new conception that are repeatedly coming out).

UCAVs capable of discreetly patrolling borders and hot spots, ready to intervene.

UCAVs working in teams with predictive algorithms, and always under human supervision ready to intervene.

UCAVs able to depart from (relatively small) surfaces, even in SEA.

UCAVs that will also be refuelable in flight, in order to have a 24/24 operation for days and days. (toilet, restaurant, bed at hundreds/thousands of km on the ground with personnel shifts at the console).

UCAVs in case of expendable combat.

Who needs an F-35? SALES coming soon.

(ops! sorry double post!)...
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:18 pm

Okhotnik and su-57 will be able to provide network-centric interaction engaging in air and ground targets

GarryB, dino00 and thegopnik like this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:42 am

Can flying wings fly slow ? Like really slow ? Or not so much. Just wondering cuz for loitering , it would be more efficient to fly slower
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:11 pm

Some say it could be a gun.

S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 16 Exgnb-10
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:49 pm

Looks like the new add on that T-50-3 got below the nose
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:47 pm

For the first time, the Ministry of Defense only on "Russia 24" discloses super-secret domestic military developments: you will see the Hunter stealth drone and the combat use of the Orion UAV in Syria against terrorist targets. Special report by Alexander Rogatkin.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPIaf5PUOxk

Finty likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:29 am

Look at the above video from TS and 33 seconds into the video as the drone is rolled out of the hangar you can see two of those tubes that look like guns... one identified above in the photo and at 33 seconds in the above video just above the red 071 on the air intake side there is another tube exposed that looks the same... in fact both are visible in that frame:

S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 16 Screen14

I would say it is not a gun because there is no blast shielded metal around the muzzle and the rear model further back I identified above is a small pod and does not have the length to be an actual gun.

dino00 and TMA1 like this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:27 pm

Look the changes at the T-50 053, above the nose instead of IRST and below:
    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 16 D0k3wp10

TMA1 and Finty like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:31 am

New generation optical system?

The diameter is tiny consider it is an optical system which would benefit from width of sensors most of the time.

Very interesting find.

There is a Russian video showing thermal imagers in different frequency ranges... long, medium, and short, where the short wave is the newest and has near normal vision properties like it can see through normal glass and through water, unlike longer wave IR devices, so it would be less effected by rain and cloud and smoke presumably, but the SWIR camera was about 1/8th the size of the other thermal cameras so the technology is small and does not need cooling either.

Will be interesting to see what these are...

(note the IR is used in three frequency areas because the other frequencies of IR energy is absorbed by moisture and that results in uselessly short ranges of use.)

LWIR and MWIR can see further than SWIR but their image quality is not as sharp so it is harder to identify things or people.
    TMA1
    TMA1

Post  TMA1 Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:04 am

LMFS wrote:Look the changes at the T-50 053, above the nose instead of IRST and below:

Nice find! Looks sharp! Only issue I would see is that the turret does not seem to have any movement to it. Only thing I can assume is it was some sensor tied directly to the use of the s-70. Btw I wish they would paint all su-57 in a similar scheme.
    TMA1
    TMA1

Post  TMA1 Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:10 am

GarryB wrote:Look at the above video from TS and 33 seconds into the video as the drone is rolled out of the hangar you can see two of those tubes that look like guns... one identified above in the photo and at 33 seconds in the above video just above the red 071 on the air intake side there is another tube exposed that looks the same... in fact both are visible in that frame:

S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 16 Screen14

I would say it is not a gun because there is no blast shielded metal around the muzzle and the rear model further back I identified above is a small pod and does not have the length to be an actual gun.

The lens looks similar to the one affixed to the end of the side lobe missile bay on the su-57. Could this have similar ability? Some kind of flir system to help it land?
    limb

Post  limb Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:22 am

I wonder when the S-70 will get a stealthy flat nozzle. Since acceleration is not a huge issue, and maximum stealth including from the rear is, there's no reason not to put one on, especially since russia already has tested such nozzles. I wonder how many times a flat nozzle will reduce rear RCS.
    thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:53 am

limb wrote:I wonder when the S-70 will get a stealthy flat nozzle. Since acceleration is not a huge issue, and maximum stealth including from the rear is, there's no reason not to put one on, especially since russia already has  tested such nozzles.  I wonder how many times a flat nozzle will reduce rear RCS.

Depends what they mean by "updated design" in LMFS source which might mean what your seeking might be presented on the 2nd prototype, but I see no reason why they wouldn't want to switch the rear like they have displayed in the 2019 maks airshow(I am impatient of how maks 2021 will be) Took some time for the X-47A to look like X-47B after they cancelled the UCAV.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:57 am

limb wrote:I wonder when the S-70 will get a stealthy flat nozzle. Since acceleration is not a huge issue, and maximum stealth including from the rear is, there's no reason not to put one on, especially since russia already has tested such nozzles. I wonder how many times a flat nozzle will reduce rear RCS.

Third prototype
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:19 am

With the MiG-1.42 and the MiG-1.44 one was the flight testing model for aerodynamic testing and the other was the stealthy model with all the secret stuff to minimise RCS that was never shown to the public.

It might be that they keep the stealthy model secret and just train and work with and export the less stealthy model and keep the uberstealthy version for themselves...

They could easily build up the aircraft structure around the engine nozzle to reduce IR signature.... I rather suspect they left it open like that so TVC nozzles could be tested to improve manouver performance perhaps... your average fighter is g limited so dodging incoming missiles is just dreaming really, but a drone perhaps able to pull 20-30 g probably could evade a few missile weapons realistically...

I seem to remember them saying the rectangular engine nozzle they tested on the Su-27 reduced the IR signature by rapidly mixing the hot air going through the hot section of the jet engine with the cold bypass air so the IR signature was significantly reduced but at the cost of something like 15-20% of thrust performance which they deemed to be not worth it.

New models of engines for the Su-57 could be used on the S-70 for commonality but I would expect that they could use the older engines currently being used on Su-57s in their S-70s and use the new engines in the manned aircraft to boost their performance more radically.

Looking at the angle of sweep of the S-70 I kinda thought it is a sharp sweep for something that is intended to be subsonic.... compare it with the wing sweep of the B-2 for instance.

Perhaps with the new engine it might supercruise...
    TMA1
    TMA1

Post  TMA1 Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:02 pm

LMFS wrote:Look the changes at the T-50 053, above the nose instead of IRST and below:

A closer image shows that the s-70 irst thingy was what was seen on the third t-50 prototype. Interesting.

TMA1 likes this post

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:46 pm

@GarryB

I was said that the Okhotnik would use the non-afterburning version of the PAK-FA's izd. 117
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:16 pm

That "thingy" is a camera for the pilot (sort of). If the automatic start/landing sequence is maltfunctioning he has to take over - and must see what is in front of the drone.

LMFS and TMA1 like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:48 am

If you look at the photo above of the Su-57 and the S-70 they both have two of them... one on top and one below the nose.

If they were for cameras then mounting two side by side 60-80mm apart you could use the combined view for a 3D stereoscopic view forward so the operator would have normal depth perception to judge distance to objects in the field of view.

The way they are located would not be useful except seeing above and below the nose of the aircraft.

I was said that the Okhotnik would use the non-afterburning version of the PAK-FA's izd. 117

If they intend to use non after burning engines then it would be purely subsonic only... which would mean why no use the engines currently being used... I doubt the difference in performance would be enormous and it would be a useful way of using these engines in current Su-57s that are to be replaced as soon as the new engine is deemed to be ready.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 pm