Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+67
Azi
higurashihougi
KiloGolf
Hannibal Barca
Bolt
MMBR
George1
zg18
miketheterrible
x_54_u43
calm
Isos
Regular
Cyberspec
PapaDragon
headshot69
DB1234
Skandalwitwe
Airman
Alex555
eehnie
VladimirSahin
The Ottoman
Project Canada
Godric
KoTeMoRe
Vann7
OminousSpudd
AK-Rex
AlfaT8
klahtinen
Firebird
Khepesh
storm333
BKP
GunshipDemocracy
ultimatewarrior
GarryB
famschopman
Erk
crod
d_taddei2
Odin of Ossetia
starman
arpakola
zorobabel
par far
TheArmenian
Zivo
franco
Big_Gazza
airstrike
auslander
Resistance
onwiththewar
Fred333
whir
Rodinazombie
wilhelm
gaurav
magnumcromagnon
Shadåw
medo
przemek
kvs
zepia
sepheronx
71 posters

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #10

kvs
    kvs

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #10 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #10

Post  kvs Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:59 am

BKP wrote:The Russian parliament has indicated that it may ratify a new agreement for the deployment of a Russian air group at Hmeimim air base by the end of the week.

Any guesses about what this might look like this time?

Read more: https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20161003/1045964491/russia-syria-air-base.html

It looks like there has been lots of haggling with the Iranians. Apparently Iranians think that they can take on Uncle Scam and win all by themselves.
    Middle Eastern arrogance is epic in its inanity.
    BKP
    BKP

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #10 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #10

Post  BKP Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:11 am

kvs wrote:
    BKP wrote:The Russian parliament has indicated that it may ratify a new agreement for the deployment of a Russian air group at Hmeimim air base by the end of the week.

Any guesses about what this might look like this time?

Read more: https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20161003/1045964491/russia-syria-air-base.html

It looks like there has been lots of haggling with the Iranians.   Apparently Iranians think that they can take on Uncle Scam and win all by themselves.
    Middle Eastern arrogance is epic in its inanity.  

I was never sure of what to make of that supposed kerfuffle, or if there really even was one. It's not the time to be thin skinned. Seemed silly.
    storm333
    storm333

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #10 - Page 11 Empty Russia deploys S-300VM

Post  storm333 Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:23 am

"Components of the SA-23 Gladiator anti-missile and anti-aircraft system, which has a range of roughly 150 miles, arrived over the weekend “on the docks” of a Russian naval base along Syria’s Mediterranean coastal city of Tartus, two US officials said."

The S-300VM system is dedicated destroy high precision missile threats including BM and cruise missiles.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/10/04/russia-deploys-advanced-anti-missile-system-to-syria-for-first-time-us-officials-say.html
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:45 am

storm333 wrote:"Components of the SA-23 Gladiator anti-missile and anti-aircraft system, which has a range of roughly 150 miles, arrived over the weekend “on the docks” of a Russian naval base along Syria’s Mediterranean coastal city of Tartus, two US officials said."

The S-300VM system is dedicated destroy high precision missile threats including BM and cruise missiles.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/10/04/russia-deploys-advanced-anti-missile-system-to-syria-for-first-time-us-officials-say.html

Leave it to fox news to report things inaccurately. If there's a version of S-300V coming, than it would be S-300V4 with 400 km range, which translates to 250 miles.
    Khepesh
    Khepesh

Post  Khepesh Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:44 am

The diplomatic situation in Syria
    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #10 - Page 11 Ca83edec75b0
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:42 am

Khepesh wrote:The diplomatic situation in Syria
    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #10 - Page 11 Ca83edec75b0
    That is brilliant, so many interpretations possible. A wonderful example of a picture being worth a thousand words.
    Firebird

Post  Firebird Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:23 pm

British TV news is (LMAO) "bound" by a code of impartiality.
    Ofcourse thats a joke.

But last night's ITV news was utterly appalling propaganda.
    Some African idiot (its nearly always black or Asian, always private school educated, and never one of the 94% of Brits who have a normal accent) was reading the "news".

Honestly, it was like some muppet was demonically possessed by "Senator" JOhn McPain.

Accusing Russia of war crimes, saying why "you should know the truth", talking about "sickening images" and all this other crap. Nothing about his bosses and himself being cheerleader for ISIS, all the terror groups and NATO's destruction of the Ukraine, M East and elsewhere.

Reminded me why the British Establishment utterly repulses me.

I reckon there may be some truth in the rumour that a Russian missile took out the secret NATO backers of ISIS etc in Aleppo. Shame Russia didn't fire a few more.
    BKP
    BKP

Post  BKP Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:11 pm

Firebird wrote:
    Some African idiot (its nearly always black or Asian, always private school educated, and never one of the 94% of Brits who have a normal accent) was reading the "news".

Honestly, it was like some muppet was demonically possessed by "Senator" JOhn McPain.

I agree, it's disgusting. And I figure CNN deliberately adopted this trick in shoving the likes of Christine Amanpour and Fareed Zakaria out front. I see it as a signifier meant to say something like "oooh, look at this person OF COLOR! Aren't we wonderful, morally superior and forward-looking for featuring her or him in such an exalted role? Surely, you should unquestioningly trust every bit of propaganda mouthed by this person OF COLOR in her/his voice, with its bewildering mish-mash of accents and tonal inflections!! Its all so wonderful!"

Firebird

Post  Firebird Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:14 pm

BKP wrote:
    Firebird wrote:

I agree, it's disgusting. And I figure CNN deliberately adopted this trick in shoving the likes of Christine Amanpour and Fareed Zakaria out front. I see it as a signifier meant to say something like "oooh, look at this person OF COLOR! Aren't we wonderful, morally superior and forward-looking for featuring her or him in such an exalted role? Surely, you should unquestioningly trust every bit of propaganda mouthed by this person OF COLOR in her/his voice, with its bewildering mish-mash of accents and tonal inflections!! Its all so wonderful!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rageh_Omaar

This is the maggot. He's Somalian, has very rich parents. Ofcourse went a to a gigantically expensive private school (basic annual fees alone are about twice the British annual wage!) And then Oxford University. His brother is Somalia's former foreign minister. His wife is a family of British "aristocrats".
    Oh and he talks complete shit for a living while feathering his own greedy nest and that of his lords and masters. A complete fraud.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:48 pm

Firebird wrote:
    BKP wrote:
    Firebird wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rageh_Omaar

This is the maggot. He's Somalian, has very rich parents. Ofcourse went a to a gigantically expensive private school (basic annual fees alone are about twice the British annual wage!) And then Oxford University. His brother is Somalia's former foreign minister. His wife is a family of British "aristocrats".
    Oh and he talks complete shit for a living while feathering his own greedy nest and that of his lords and masters. A complete fraud.

There's a term for this, it's called "Tokenism". As far as Africans go, back in 2014, the African Union unanimously REFUSED to condemn Russia for the events that unraveled in Crimea. So what you see in Western news is definitely a case of Tokenism, where on the macro-economic level Russians are seen favorably...whether that's Northern, Eastern, Western, or Southern Africa. This is largely impart because of the USSR's role helping many African nations gain their national independence, as well as current-day Russia offering cost effective arms, as well as (non-GMO) grain, with little to no political strings attached.
    par far

Post  par far Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:01 pm

I wonder where the S-300V4, I just hope it is close to Al-Raqqa, the east of Euphrates, that area is very important.

https://southfront.org/syrian-war-report-october-4-2016-russia-deploys-anti-ballistic-missile-system-amid-tensions-with-the-us/

zorobabel
    zorobabel

Post  zorobabel Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:51 pm

JohninMK wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that all the Su-24M had been withdrawn months ago from Syria at the same time as the Su-25.

According to the article, based on analysis of satellite imagery can be concluded that the composition of the group of Russian combat aircraft at the Hamim has not changed quantitatively since the end of March 2016 and consists of 12 Sukhoi su-24M, four Sukhoi su-34, four su-30CM and four su-35S. The su-25 in pictures do not exist. According to the journal, this identical pattern is observed satellite images Hamim made 19, 21, 25 and 26 September 2016.

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #10 - Page 11 3583476_original

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2160043.html
    I hope it is accurate. I love it. Syria is the perfect place to stop the West's imperial scheme dead in its tracks.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:57 pm

par far wrote:I wonder where the S-300V4, I just hope it is close to Al-Raqqa, the east of Euphrates, that area is very important.

https://southfront.org/syrian-war-report-october-4-2016-russia-deploys-anti-ballistic-missile-system-amid-tensions-with-the-us/

The announcement said Tartous, to protect the port and, not said, probably the carrier when it arrives.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:52 am

I'd also like to add that S-300 in Hmeim was not replaced with S-400, it was supplemented with it. So now Hmeim has S-300, S-400 and Pantsir. At least.

Just a reminder.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:43 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    I'd also like to add that S-300 in Hmeim was not replaced with S-400, it was supplemented with it. So now Hmeim has S-300, S-400 and Pantsir. At least.

Just a reminder.

We do not know where they dispatched the S-300VM. I think it is more than just the air base. There is no point in protecting the air base alone if
    Uncle Scumbag can wipe out the normal part of Syria. Since Uncle Scumbag wants to wave his dick in Russia's face, Russia must have prepared a
    nice set of surprises for any barrage of Tomahawks he launches.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:29 am

kvs wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

Just a reminder.

We do not know where they dispatched the S-300VM.   I think it is more than just the air base. ..

S-300VM is in Tartous according to MoD. As for Hmeim they have double layer AA goodness (300+400)

With this new AA delivery and fresh base contract in Duma I think Russian Military is now turning Tartous into naval equivalent of Hmeim Air Base. Although it will take lot more time and construction work to get it to desirable condition.

This implies that MoD is optimistic about Aleppo operation so now they are breaking ground of future Mediterranean defence infrastructure.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:45 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    kvs wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

Just a reminder.

We do not know where they dispatched the S-300VM.   I think it is more than just the air base. ..

S-300VM is in Tartous according to MoD. As for Hmeim they have double layer AA goodness (300+400)

With this new AA delivery and fresh base contract in Duma I think Russian Military is now turning Tartous into naval equivalent of Hmeim Air Base. Although it will take lot more time and construction work to get it to desirable condition.

This implies that MoD is optimistic about Aleppo operation so now they are breaking ground of future Mediterranean defence infrastructure.

Why would they deploy an older, less capable system such as S-300VM, when they can just deploy S-300V4? For that matter Fox News is not credit worthy. GurKhan is more credit worthy:

Syrian business trip: a tank chassis S-300V4 will pass everywhere

So they're saying it's S-300V4.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:27 pm

Is it likely that a Pantsir has gone in unannounced with the S-300 as local protection?
    par far

Post  par far Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:38 pm

So this is why the S-300V4 was sent to Syria:

SYRIAN WAR REPORT – OCTOBER 5, 2016: US CONSIDERS MILITARY STRIKES ON GOVT FORCES

https://southfront.org/syrian-war-report-october-5-2016-us-considers-military-strikes-on-govt-forces/

We may need more S-300 variants and more S-400's in Syria.

OminousSpudd
    OminousSpudd

Post  OminousSpudd Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:28 pm

par far wrote:So this is why the S-300V4 was sent to Syria:

SYRIAN WAR REPORT – OCTOBER 5, 2016: US CONSIDERS MILITARY STRIKES ON GOVT FORCES

https://southfront.org/syrian-war-report-october-5-2016-us-considers-military-strikes-on-govt-forces/

We may need more S-300 variants and more S-400's in Syria.

Getting closer... pale
    Khepesh
    Khepesh

Post  Khepesh Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:19 pm

Closer and closer..
    Lifenews had published a slightly simplistic but clear picture of Russian and American assets in the region and capabilities. Nothing new to this forum of course. However the important part is that it says that our forces may actually be rather exposed in a scenario involving a no fly zone and of America launching mass wave of cruise missiles at Assad forces. Article states that it is unlikely that any American aircraft will get involved in breaking no fly zone in any major way as they are very vulnerable to Russian and Syrian AD capabilities, and this also goes for any Turkish incursions, which it says are also very unlikely, not least because of frosty relations with Washington. The article sees a scenario where America could launch mass cruise missile strike, and says about the 415 missiles launched at Iraq in 1998 during operation "Desert Fox", but not all 415 were launched at the same time of course. Anyway, Americans can launch substantial volleys of missiles at one time. The issue is does Russia then take these missiles down or let them fly and do huge damage to SAA. What happens when first American cruise missile is taken down either from Russian warship or ground battery, war? And even if not war straight away, to try to take down the amount of missiles that America is capable of launching will deplete stocks of S-300 missiles in theatre, possibly even completely expend all of them. If so, even if WWIII has not occured, the AA defence capability is severely depleted, at least until resupply from Russia, and VKS in Syria are insufficient to deal with a potential major American air strike to follow up from the missile strikes. Of course there may never be a no fly zone and Americans never launch mass cruise missile attack on SAA, but given their instability and previous record of acting in the most irresponsible manner, it cannot be ruled out that they will launch such an attack, no fly zone or not. If they just launch one small volley, what will be the responce? if it comes from American missile cruisers or submarines in Mediterranean, then Russian squadron will need to react as the target, while it can be guessed at, will not be known for sure and what if it is pre-emptive strike, now will captain of Moskva know for certain that American cruise missile is not for him or that at the same time America has pressed button and hell is breaking out. He cannot know at that precise moment, he cannot wait for orders, for confirmation that American ICBMs are not in the air, he must react. We are potentially seconds from midnight. It is not a real analogy to the present situation, but for those who have not seen it, I recomend watching "The Bedford Incident"
    https://life.ru/t/наука/910504/zakryt_niebo_sirii_zashchita_nashikh_intieriesov_ili_kliuch_k_trietiei_mirovoi

Last edited by Khepesh on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:32 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:...............

Why would they deploy an older, less capable system such as S-300VM, when they can just deploy S-300V4? For that matter Fox News is not credit worthy. GurKhan is more credit worthy:

Syrian business trip: a tank chassis S-300V4 will pass everywhere

So they're saying it's S-300V4.

Yes it is the new one. I did not get the model designation right since I don't keep them memorized. I am a teacher not a gun runner.Cool

JohninMK wrote:Is it likely that a Pantsir has gone in unannounced with the S-300 as local protection?

Most likely. Pantsirs almost aways tail the bigger systems.
    par far

Post  par far Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:49 pm

"RUSSIAN DEFENSE MINISTRY PREPARED RESPONSE TO US ‘PLAN B’ ON SYRIA".

"Russia may seriously increase fire support to the Syrian Armed Forces in response to possible US military actions after termination of talks on Syria, the Izvestiya newspaper reported, citing First Deputy Chairman of the Council of the Federation Committee on Defense and Security, Franz Klintsevich. He explained that the Russian Defense Ministry has prepared a package plan, which also includes military and political measures both in Syria and abroad. According to experts, the US is primarily preparing to increase the supply of weapons to the ‘opposition’ groups".

https://southfront.org/russian-defense-ministry-prepared-response-to-us-plan-b-on-syria/

Erk
    Erk

Post  Erk Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:36 am

par far wrote:"RUSSIAN DEFENSE MINISTRY PREPARED RESPONSE TO US ‘PLAN B’ ON SYRIA".

"Russia may seriously increase fire support to the Syrian Armed Forces in response to possible US military actions after termination of talks on Syria, the Izvestiya newspaper reported, citing First Deputy Chairman of the Council of the Federation Committee on Defense and Security, Franz Klintsevich. He explained that the Russian Defense Ministry has prepared a package plan, which also includes military and political measures both in Syria and abroad. According to experts, the US is primarily preparing to increase the supply of weapons to the ‘opposition’ groups".

https://southfront.org/russian-defense-ministry-prepared-response-to-us-plan-b-on-syria/

I think Russia have been trying to keep to a budget on Syria, first year was about $520mill. They will be reluctant to up the anti unnecessarily, so there would have to be a serious threat for them to do so.

klahtinen

Post  klahtinen Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:15 am

Roman Alymov wrote on Tank-Net: "Another opinion from Rus expert on why S-300 was moved recently to Syria: previously, long-range AA cover of Tartus and ships nearby was based on S-300F-armed warships (“Moscow” and “Varyag”) that were patrolling nearby in shifts. But they are limited in operation time and need to go to base for repairs, and 3rd RusNavy ship armed with S-300F, “Ustinov”, is still under repair. In addition, nuclear-powered “Peter the Great” is also armed by S-300F but he is only expected to arrive in pair with “Kuznetsov”. So land-based system is just replacement of navy one…."

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 pm