Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 26261
    Points : 26807
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  GarryB on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:58 am

    Actually for the prices of conventional bombs and rockets you would be better to look to companies like Bazalt... http://bazalt.ru/en/

    avatar
    nastle77

    Posts : 230
    Points : 308
    Join date : 2015-07-25

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty R-24R and R-24T

    Post  nastle77 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:47 pm

    I just wanted to confirm the ranges for these missiles

    The information I have is only for R-23R and R-23T which were 35 km an 15 km respectively, I'm assuming the R-24 had longer ranges ?
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 26261
    Points : 26807
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  GarryB on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:15 am

    Just from memory the 35 and 15km ranges were head on lock on ranges based on the seeker performance.

    Obviously a receeding target could be engaged at greater ranges because of better IR view of engines with the IR guided model.

    i seem to remember the head on engagement range of the radar homing R-24 as being something like 55km or so.
    avatar
    Austin

    Posts : 7619
    Points : 8016
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Location : India

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  Austin on Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:23 pm

    I was having discussion with colleague in BRF and it seems Russia has not ordered the R-27 yet , most of the picture of Su-27 even in Syria is shown with R-27 and not R-77 , so it true that RuAF has not ordered R-77 ?

    Also it seems R-77 has design issues ?

    http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6806&start=3920#p1909818
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

    Posts : 926
    Points : 1006
    Join date : 2009-08-04
    Age : 32
    Location : Indonesia

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  Stealthflanker on Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:45 pm

    Austin wrote:I was having discussion with colleague in BRF and it seems Russia has not ordered the R-27 yet , most of the picture of Su-27 even in Syria is shown with R-27 and not R-77 , so it true that RuAF has not ordered R-77 ?

    Yes.



    Also it seems R-77 has design issues ?

    http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6806&start=3920#p1909818

    I am not sure about that "reliability and engineering problem" Given that our own flanker (Indonesian) Also used R-77 and successfully tested it.

    One thing however.. Carlo Kopp stated that the 9B-1348 seeker for R-77 using Texas Instrument Digital signal processor chip (TMS-320) Perhaps that could be the problem.
    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3938
    Points : 4022
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  medo on Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:46 pm

    Austin wrote:I was having discussion with colleague in BRF and it seems Russia has not ordered the R-27 yet , most of the picture of Su-27 even in Syria is shown with R-27 and not R-77 , so it true that RuAF has not ordered R-77 ?

    Also it seems R-77 has design issues ?

    http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6806&start=3920#p1909818

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 17343211

    Russia have ordered R-77-1 missiles and first missiles will be delivered to RuAF in this year. As you could see on the photo, operational Su-35 regiment already have launch adapters for R-77-1 missiles. Most probably Su-35 and Su-30SM units will be the first equipped with those missiles. I think we will more often see them next year, when RuAF will receive larger number of them.

    If you ask specifically for R-77 missiles, than answer is no, RuAF didn't order R-77 missiles, they order R-77-1 missiles.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7090
    Points : 7358
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 31
    Location : Canada

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  sepheronx on Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:58 pm

    medo wrote:
    Austin wrote:I was having discussion with colleague in BRF and it seems Russia has not ordered the R-27 yet , most of the picture of Su-27 even in Syria is shown with R-27 and not R-77 , so it true that RuAF has not ordered R-77 ?

    Also it seems R-77 has design issues ?

    http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6806&start=3920#p1909818

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 17343211

    Russia have ordered R-77-1 missiles and first missiles will be delivered to RuAF in this year. As you could see on the photo, operational Su-35 regiment already have launch adapters for R-77-1 missiles. Most probably Su-35 and Su-30SM units will be the first equipped with those missiles. I think we will more often see them next year, when RuAF will receive larger number of them.

    If you ask specifically for R-77 missiles, than answer is no, RuAF didn't order R-77 missiles, they order R-77-1 missiles.

    What are the differences? R-77-1 uses Russian made components?
    jhelb
    jhelb

    Posts : 914
    Points : 1023
    Join date : 2015-04-04
    Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  jhelb on Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:16 pm

    medo wrote:Russia have ordered R-77-1 missiles and first missiles will be delivered to RuAF in this year.

    Seeker upgrade for the Izdeliye 170-1(R-77-1) is not yet over, so it is unlikely to be delivered this year.
    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3938
    Points : 4022
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  medo on Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:46 pm

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1448231.html

    http://lenta.ru/news/2015/08/26/raketa/

    R-77-1 are already in production and Russian MoD ordered them. Missiles are fully Russian without components from Ukraine. They said to have a problem with a seeker for short range AAM, not for R-77-1.
    avatar
    Austin

    Posts : 7619
    Points : 8016
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Location : India

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  Austin on Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:58 pm

    Thanks so no R-77 but R-77-1

    Did RuAF have R-27AE active radar variant ?
    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3938
    Points : 4022
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  medo on Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:27 pm

    Austin wrote:Thanks so no R-77 but R-77-1

    Did RuAF have R-27AE active radar variant ?

    Difficult to say. Officially not, but externally R-27AE is the same as R-27ER, so they could easily hide them behind R-27ER.
    avatar
    Austin

    Posts : 7619
    Points : 8016
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Location : India

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  Austin on Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:41 am

    So why were they exporting R-77 when their own force didn't buy one
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 6207
    Points : 6360
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:53 am

    Austin wrote:So why were they exporting R-77 when their own force didn't buy one

    What makes you think the export missile is the same as the domestic missile?
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 26261
    Points : 26807
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  GarryB on Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:29 am

    Up until recently there haven't been that many Russian Air Force aircraft that could use R-77 that were actually in service in numbers (as opposed to prototypes and sales models trotted out for air shows).

    The MiG-29SM and MiG-29SMT and the Su-27SM and Su-30SM, plus Su-34 and Su-35 would be able to carry them but for the vast majority of in service aircraft like the MiG-29 and Su-27P they were not compatible.

    The R-27 is not a bad weapon that has a very wide variety of types and is cheap and would be effective enough.

    even with the introduction of R-77 and later missiles I suggest the R-27ET will remain in use as there doesn't seem to be a long range IR guided alternative so far...

    Note both the R-37 and R-77 have hydraulic rams built into their launch pylons to allow conformal and internal launch positions... the missile is thrown down clear of the aircraft before the missiles rocket motor is started to prevent the airflow around the aircraft fuselage and wings from blowing the missile back up into the aircraft doing damage on launch.
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 15033
    Points : 15536
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  George1 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:43 pm

    Aerial Missiles That Protect Russian Bombers in Syria Revealed (Photos)

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 1028775472
    R-73 missile

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 1028775483
    R-27ER missile

    Su-30SM fighters, which are part of Russia’s anti-ISIL campaign in Syria, are armed with R-73 short-range and R-27R medium-to-long-range air-to-air missiles, representatives of the Russian Air Force told journalists at the Hmeymim airbase in Latakia.

    The Russian airstrike group in Syria includes Sukhoi Su-24s, Su-25s and Su-34s, as well as several Su-30SM fighters. The main objective of these fighter jets is to protect Russian bombers, striking ISIL positions in the air, from possible enemy fighters.

    For this purpose the Sukhoi fighter jets are armed with R-73 and R-27R (and its modification R-27ER) air-to-air missiles. Each plane can carry 12 of these deadly missiles, but usually Russian fighters carry six of them for greater maneuverability.

    The R-73 short-range air-to-air missiles are designed for close-range aerial combat, with a range of no more than 30 kilometers. The R-73 missile is equipped with an infrared-homing (heat-seeking) head that provides extreme precision when hitting targets. Pilots can fire R-73 missiles using a helmet-mounted sight (HMS) system of targeting.

    In addition to the short-range missiles, Su-30SM flankers are equipped with R-27R and R-27ER medium-to-long-range missiles. The R-27R and R-27ER missiles can be used between 20 and 27,000 meters altitude and are equipped with an active-radar-homing head that allows the missile to find and track its targets autonomously. Active-radar-homing missiles are extremely accurate and have one of the best kill probabilities among all modern air-to-air missiles.

    Russia launched an airstrike campaign aimed at assisting the Damascus-led forces in their fight against extremist groups in Syria, including Islamic State, following a request from the government of Bashar al-Assad.

    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20151019/1028776200/air-to-air-missiles-su-30-syria.html#ixzz3p33f8nth
    avatar
    nastle77

    Posts : 230
    Points : 308
    Join date : 2015-07-25

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  nastle77 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:44 am

    George1 wrote:Aerial Missiles That Protect Russian Bombers in Syria Revealed (Photos)

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 1028775472
    R-73 missile

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 1028775483
    R-27ER missile

    Su-30SM fighters, which are part of Russia’s anti-ISIL campaign in Syria, are armed with R-73 short-range and R-27R medium-to-long-range air-to-air missiles, representatives of the Russian Air Force told journalists at the Hmeymim airbase in Latakia.

    The Russian airstrike group in Syria includes Sukhoi Su-24s, Su-25s and Su-34s, as well as several Su-30SM fighters. The main objective of these fighter jets is to protect Russian bombers, striking ISIL positions in the air, from possible enemy fighters.

    For this purpose the Sukhoi fighter jets are armed with R-73 and R-27R (and its modification R-27ER) air-to-air missiles. Each plane can carry 12 of these deadly missiles, but usually Russian fighters carry six of them for greater maneuverability.

    The R-73 short-range air-to-air missiles are designed for close-range aerial combat, with a range of no more than 30 kilometers. The R-73 missile is equipped with an infrared-homing (heat-seeking) head that provides extreme precision when hitting targets. Pilots can fire R-73 missiles using a helmet-mounted sight (HMS) system of targeting.

    In addition to the short-range missiles, Su-30SM flankers are equipped with R-27R and R-27ER medium-to-long-range missiles. The R-27R and R-27ER missiles can be used between 20 and 27,000 meters altitude and are equipped with an active-radar-homing head that allows the missile to find and track its targets autonomously. Active-radar-homing missiles are extremely accurate and have one of the best kill probabilities among all modern air-to-air missiles.

    Russia launched an airstrike campaign aimed at assisting the Damascus-led forces in their fight against extremist groups in Syria, including Islamic State, following a request from the government of Bashar al-Assad.    

    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20151019/1028776200/air-to-air-missiles-su-30-syria.html#ixzz3p33f8nth

    when did the full scale production of R-73 start and approx. how many were made by 1990 ?
    Thanks
    avatar
    nastle77

    Posts : 230
    Points : 308
    Join date : 2015-07-25

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  nastle77 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:45 am

    WHat is the max engagement range of R-60M front and rear aspect ?
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 26261
    Points : 26807
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  GarryB on Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:27 am

    First of all that picture of the R-73 is a dummy version.... the white missile with black stripes indicates that.

    And by definition the R-27R and R-27ER are SARH missiles.... that is what the second R means in both designations... ie R= in service air to air missile, -27 means model 27, while the last R means SARH, while the E is the extended range model with larger rocket motor (note the image of the R-27 shows the R-27ER.

    The IR guided version of R-27 and R-27E has the same IR seeker as the R-73, and any weapon can be aimed using the helmet mounted sight...

    when did the full scale production of R-73 start and approx. how many were made by 1990 ?
    Thanks

    From memory full scale production started about the mid 1980s and they were made in very large numbers.

    WHat is the max engagement range of R-60M front and rear aspect ?

    AFAIK the max head on range is about 10km and the tail launch range is about 4km for subsonic targets.
    mack8
    mack8

    Posts : 953
    Points : 1009
    Join date : 2013-08-02

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  mack8 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:13 am

    According to this interview RVV-SD has been in production for 3 years already. If i'm not mistaken , we saw the AKU-170 adapter on Su-35S, Su-30SM and now MiG-31BM, so the R-77-1 must definitely be in service, but probably still secret atm.

    http://alexeyvvo.livejournal.com/152522.html
    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3938
    Points : 4022
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  medo on Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:44 pm

    mack8 wrote:According to this interview RVV-SD has been in production for 3 years already. If i'm not mistaken , we saw the AKU-170 adapter on Su-35S, Su-30SM and now MiG-31BM, so the R-77-1 must definitely be in service, but probably still secret atm.

    http://alexeyvvo.livejournal.com/152522.html

    Most probably for now in storages for war use, but for everyday patrols they still use R-27 missiles. But it would be nice to see training R-77-1 rounds on the planes. I wonder if they will bring some R-77-1 missiles for Su-30SM and Su-34 in Syria.
    artjomh
    artjomh

    Posts : 150
    Points : 184
    Join date : 2015-07-17

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  artjomh on Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:35 pm

    mack8 wrote:According to this interview RVV-SD has been in production for 3 years already. If i'm not mistaken , we saw the AKU-170 adapter on Su-35S, Su-30SM and now MiG-31BM, so the R-77-1 must definitely be in service, but probably still secret atm.

    http://alexeyvvo.livejournal.com/152522.html

    RVV-SD is an export missile.
    Berkut
    Berkut

    Posts : 190
    Points : 215
    Join date : 2015-05-05

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  Berkut on Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:59 pm

    artjomh wrote:
    mack8 wrote:According to this interview RVV-SD has been in production for 3 years already. If i'm not mistaken , we saw the AKU-170 adapter on Su-35S, Su-30SM and now MiG-31BM, so the R-77-1 must definitely be in service, but probably still secret atm.

    http://alexeyvvo.livejournal.com/152522.html

    RVV-SD is an export missile.

    R-77-1 under RVV-SD designation is, R-77-1, isnt.
    artjomh
    artjomh

    Posts : 150
    Points : 184
    Join date : 2015-07-17

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  artjomh on Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:05 pm

    Berkut wrote:
    artjomh wrote:
    mack8 wrote:According to this interview RVV-SD has been in production for 3 years already. If i'm not mistaken , we saw the AKU-170 adapter on Su-35S, Su-30SM and now MiG-31BM, so the R-77-1 must definitely be in service, but probably still secret atm.

    http://alexeyvvo.livejournal.com/152522.html

    RVV-SD is an export missile.

    R-77-1 under RVV-SD designation is, R-77-1, isnt.

    Well, I am just referring to the fact that RVV-SD is in production doesn't mean this is for the Russian Military, or that this is proof that RuAF has operational R-77-1 stocks.
    Berkut
    Berkut

    Posts : 190
    Points : 215
    Join date : 2015-05-05

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  Berkut on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:30 pm

    If a MiG-31BM pilot told me that he has personally seen R-77-1 and sent me a pic of AKU-170's on MiG-31BM; what does that tell you?
    mack8
    mack8

    Posts : 953
    Points : 1009
    Join date : 2013-08-02

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  mack8 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:25 pm

    Hi Berkut, have you heard anything about the Su-30SM units receiving R-77-1s? I know the pic of bort 56 with AKU-170s, but don't recall seeing other SM borts with those adapters. Thanks.

    Sponsored content

    Russian Air-to-Air missiles - Page 7 Empty Re: Russian Air-to-Air missiles

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:53 am