Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+69
OminousSpudd
zorobabel
BKP
PapaDragon
calm
TheArmenian
KomissarBojanchev
Benya
d_taddei2
franco
kvs
JohninMK
eehnie
miketheterrible
ATLASCUB
Big_Gazza
MMBR
ultimatewarrior
0nillie0
crod
par far
starman
Airman
AbdulhamidtheSecond
ali.a.r
arpakola
Walther von Oldenburg
airstrike
Mindstorm
RTN
Zastel
George1
Grazneyar
VARGR198
KiloGolf
jhelb
Austin
Vann7
Visc
Azi
whir
higurashihougi
Teshub
Erk
max steel
AlfaT8
medo
Hannibal Barca
rambo54
Karl Haushofer
Kimppis
MilitaryAttractions
Firebird
onwiththewar
A Different Voice
VladimirSahin
Project Canada
storm333
The Ottoman
ult
Odin of Ossetia
Neutrality
Airbornewolf
magnumcromagnon
GarryB
auslander
Isos
cochiloco
KoTeMoRe
73 posters

Syrian War: News #12

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 36 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #12

Post  JohninMK Thu May 18, 2017 10:22 am

There is a lot of talk on this 'Southern Front' but not a lot of facts, yet.

It is expected that within coming days, more reinforcements for terrorists will try to arrive through Jordanian border.

Currently, there is a huge amassing of the British, American and Jordanian troops right next to the Syrian border, with hundreds of terrorists, belonging to the groups, fighting against the Syrian Army, being trained in their training camps.

http://www.fort-russ.com/2017/05/syria-terrorists-attacking-civilians.html

Aldin Abazović 13h13 hours ago

#FSA unit armed and trained by #UnitedStates Coalition ready to launch operation toward Al-Bukamal in #Syria

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 36 DADyGijXsAE5lkg
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Thu May 18, 2017 3:41 pm

It seems clear that the US and their allies are nervous about a situation where the Syrian Armed Forces can reach the border of Iraq encircling all the ISIS. Obviously they want to prevent it. And clearly the alone supply lines of ISIS today come from Jordan.

Despite it, I'm not sure about a real (intense) try of the Syrian Armed Forces to reach the border with Iraq by the South. This would require an important effort that I'm not sure the Syrian Armed Forces can afford at this point.

In overall terms I do not think the Syrian Armed Forces or the Iraqi Armed Forces will pursue to create new pockets. The ISIS and other forces retreats easier if they have some way to scape. I do not think really that Syria and Iraq want to cut the scape ways of the ISIS and other rebels because the fight in the pockets is always more intense. Specially in the case of Syria, that is taking a good number of pockets by agreements to evacuate the rebels. In fact it is easier to give them a way to scape by themselves before they have to choose between to fight or to surrender/die like in the pockets.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Thu May 18, 2017 4:01 pm

JohninMK wrote:Aldin Abazović  13h13 hours ago

#FSA unit armed and trained by #UnitedStates Coalition ready to launch operation toward Al-Bukamal in #Syria

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 36 DADyGijXsAE5lkg

Despite the rumors, it seems that the Syrian rebels will have to continue fighting with trucks. Looking at this the Syrian Armed Forces can continue fighting with their current land warfare of Sovietic origin (T-55, T-62,...), that is superior to this. Even I expect Syria to continue keeping their most modern types of warfare (from ZSU-23-4, SS-1 Scud, 2S3, 2S1, T-72, BMP-2, BTR-80, MiG-23 and Su-17/20/22 to newer) to fight stronger potential enemies.
    par far

Post  par far Thu May 18, 2017 4:10 pm

What I don't get is, where is SAA and Allies, Russia and Iran, the border area with Iraq is very important, they cannot lose that at any cost.

eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Thu May 18, 2017 4:16 pm

par far wrote:What I don't get is, where is SAA and Allies, Russia and Iran, the border area with Iraq is very important, they cannot lose that at any cost.

At any cost?

I'm not sure of this. As example I think Syria will not risk their positions in Daraa and As-Suwayda, in order to try to reach the border of Iraq.
    ultimatewarrior
    ultimatewarrior

Post  ultimatewarrior Thu May 18, 2017 4:58 pm

It seems the US struck an SAA convoy heading to the Iraq border. Russia is very weak after the Cold War. In fact, since Gorbachev that traitor got into power, Russia has been losing here and there to the US since the mid 1980s. I wouldn't be surprised if Russia gives in and leaves Syria in order to please the Americans.

https://twitter.com/GebeilyM/status/865250472327774208
    calm
    calm

Post  calm Thu May 18, 2017 5:06 pm

SAA started offensive from another direction today.

Quick map update: SAA/NDF captured Bir al-Rasi'i from US backed FSA in eastern Suweida countryside. 30km to Az Zuluf.
    Syrian War: News #12 - Page 36 DAHlN66VoAA8qES

zorobabel
    zorobabel

Post  zorobabel Thu May 18, 2017 5:19 pm

U.S. strikes Syria militia threatening U.S.-backed forces

The U.S. military carried out an air strike on Thursday against militia supported by the Syrian government who had moved against U.S.-backed fighters in the country's south, a U.S. official told Reuters on Thursday.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the strikes took place near the town of At Tanf and followed warning shots by U.S. aircraft meant to dissuade the fighters.

(Reporting by Phil Stewart)

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-syria-usa-idUSKCN18E2JU?il=0
    par far

Post  par far Thu May 18, 2017 5:22 pm

eehnie wrote:
    par far wrote:What I don't get is, where is SAA and Allies, Russia and Iran, the border area with Iraq is very important, they cannot lose that at any cost.

At any cost?

I'm not sure of this. As example I think Syria will not risk their positions in Daraa and As-Suwayda, in order to try to reach the border of Iraq.

Sorry I should have been more clear, I meant to say that they need they get to the Iraq border because it is important. By saying at any cost I meant that it is one of the highly strategic places.

zorobabel
    zorobabel

Post  zorobabel Thu May 18, 2017 5:23 pm

It seems like Trump doesn't want Syria retaking its border with Iraq and is willing to bomb Syria-allied forces in order prevent it.

Last edited by zorobabel on Thu May 18, 2017 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
    par far

Post  par far Thu May 18, 2017 5:24 pm

zorobabel wrote:U.S. strikes Syria militia threatening U.S.-backed forces

The U.S. military carried out an air strike on Thursday against militia supported by the Syrian government who had moved against U.S.-backed fighters in the country's south, a U.S. official told Reuters on Thursday.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the strikes took place near the town of At Tanf and followed warning shots by U.S. aircraft meant to dissuade the fighters.

Where are the Russian Fighter Jets? Sent in the SU 34 and the SU 35s and see if they do that again.

par far

Post  par far Thu May 18, 2017 5:28 pm

zorobabel wrote:It seems like Trump doesn't want Syria retaking its border with Iraq and is willing to bomb Syrian forces in order prevent it.

Pretty much. There were reports that Iranian unit's were also going to be involved in this operation, we can see why Iran is panicking here, they need to have access from their border to Syria by land, I wonder how much the Russian Air Force will involved in this?

https://southfront.org/syrian-war-report-may-18-2017-competition-for-syrian-iraqi-border/

ultimatewarrior
    ultimatewarrior

Post  ultimatewarrior Thu May 18, 2017 5:43 pm

par far wrote:
    zorobabel wrote:U.S. strikes Syria militia threatening U.S.-backed forces

Where are the Russian Fighter Jets? Sent in the SU 34 and the SU 35s and see if they do that again.

I thought Russia sent all its jets back to Russia? In any event, even if they are still in Syria, I doubt Russia dares to confront the US which has several times Russia's population.
    ultimatewarrior
    ultimatewarrior

Post  ultimatewarrior Thu May 18, 2017 6:01 pm

Russians always beg to be America's little partner. They always beg Americans to fight IS together. This is this partner.

https://twitter.com/CJTFOIR/status/865264099244036097
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Thu May 18, 2017 6:09 pm

What did you guys think we would simply let the SAA take Tan-if? heck no.

If they want it it will be a blood bath to get it.

Airstrikes are well expected.
    calm
    calm

Post  calm Thu May 18, 2017 6:21 pm

Only thing Russia can do is to mistakenly bomb al-Tanf, again. But it's looks like Russia wasn't involve in this offensive. So SAA is alone? We will see...

US confirmation of a strike on Syrian Military near Al-Tanf in Syria
    Syrian War: News #12 - Page 36 DAIPTHfWsAA_vLu
    par far

Post  par far Thu May 18, 2017 6:23 pm

calm wrote:Only thing Russia can do is to mistakenly bomb al-Tanf, again. But it's looks like Russia wasn't involve in this offensive. So SAA is alone? We will see...

Russia will involved in this.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Thu May 18, 2017 7:16 pm

The Us de confliction zone is being used to train terrorists so it is a prime target. The loss is small but it sucks and currently a lot of misinformation being pushed so this convolutes the whole situation. Russia takes time to respond due to analyzing the situation. Keeping it convoluted will mean it will take Russia longer to respond. I figure all is on purpose.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Thu May 18, 2017 7:26 pm

We know exactly where allies are. Russia has presence in part of Syria which matter to them while Iran has presence in Iran.

Border area has varying level of importance for Syria's allies depending on which ally we are talking about.
    Vann7

Post  Vann7 Thu May 18, 2017 7:40 pm

zorobabel wrote:It seems like Trump doesn't want Syria retaking its border with Iraq and is willing to bomb Syria-allied forces in order prevent it.

This is not TRump "who wants".. is about pentagon instead. and the
    war mongers in US military. TRump gave plenty of freedom to Mattis
    (because he have not much control of its government anyway)
    to conduct the policy on Syria . So if the Pentagon or anyone in US coalition
    like Jordan attacks Syrian army is not exactly a Trump thing. BY now should be
    clear that Trump is still not fully in control of US policy and they seeking to impeach him and is not for nothing. I suspect that TRump soft stance on Syria
    and Russia have something to do.  Even when TRump bombed Syria , weeks ago , it warned Russia of the attack hours before according to Putin himself in an interview later. So it looks like Trump is trying to get a policy balanced in middle east ,that will allow the Pentagon to get something from Syria while at the same time allowing Russia and Syria to continue operating and liberating territory.  Trump even shared information about ISIS with Russia ,at the annoyance of the congress , so to label Pentagon policy in Syria as a TRump
    thing will be a mistake. For me will prefer that all terrorist wiped ,including FSA
    but he needs to appease to the Pentagon demands too.  If trump want to reverse the Syrian conflict completely and help Assad it will need to go against its own Generals and Pentagon and earn more enemies to impeach him. The last thing Trump will like to do is go against its own Pentagon in defense of RUssia and Assad. So the president is being pushed in directions ,and the best he can do is minimize the hostilities in Syria between Russia and US a little.
    And try to focus on ISIS instead. Is not like Hillary clinton no fly zones , she promoted at all with the total destruction of Syria ,what the Pentagon wanted.
    After seeing all the things Trump have to deal ,all the resistance to his government from all media ,and vast majority of both political parties ,including his own , is safe to say ,that Presidents are just puppets in US and they do not implement policy at all. they can only modify a bit things but not completely reverse US foreign policy. The biggest difference between Trump and Obama ,over Syria is that Obama did not care at all about Syrians or their sponsor of terrorism , and that Trump shows some resistance to continue with Obama policies.  If he bombs today again a military base with Tomahawks it could be just a symbolical thing ,as the previous attack one was. and keep his enemies quiet about him being a "Russian agent". Maybe TRump give up with trying to resist the elite policies , after being blackmailed with jail .. for example. but until now ,is clear there is a fight to try to get rid of Trump from white house by congress and his respect for Russia and softer policies in Syria have something to do with it. because Syria is the most important policy of US at the moment. the only place they can bleed Russia and punish it.

Last edited by Vann7 on Thu May 18, 2017 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Thu May 18, 2017 7:48 pm

par far wrote:
    calm wrote:Only thing Russia can do is to mistakenly bomb al-Tanf, again. But it's looks like Russia wasn't involve in this offensive. So SAA is alone? We will see...

I expect the same, but at the right time. The right timing is very important. It is a very difficult goal to achieve for Syria, the battle would be very hard just now.

Last edited by eehnie on Thu May 18, 2017 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ATLASCUB
    ATLASCUB

Post  ATLASCUB Thu May 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Interesting development. I think commenting on this is kind of boring now. Russia can't set the pecking order straight with the U.S. That's really the bottomline. At one point in time, even ISIS was a U.S partner.
    par far

Post  par far Thu May 18, 2017 8:11 pm

eehnie wrote:
    par far wrote:

I expect the same, but at the right time. The right timing is very important. It is a very difficult goal to achieve, the battle would be very hard just now.

What time do think will be right eehnie? We know that Russian Special Forces are already embedded with the SAA in that area and Iran has probably sent unit's to participate in this operation(whenever there are loud calls to put sanctions on Iran, that is when you know Iran is doing something.) The big question is how will the VKS respond? Does anyone have information about how many Fighter Jets Russia has in Syria right now?
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Thu May 18, 2017 8:33 pm

Vann7 wrote:
    zorobabel wrote:It seems like Trump doesn't want Syria retaking its border with Iraq and is willing to bomb Syria-allied forces in order prevent it.

This is not TRump "who wants".. is about pentagon instead. and the
    war mongers in US military. TRump gave plenty of freedom to Mattis
    (because he have not much control of its government anyway)
    to conduct the policy on Syria . So if the Pentagon or anyone in US coalition
    like Jordan attacks Syrian army is not exactly a Trump thing. BY now should be
    clear that Trump is still not fully in control of US policy and they seeking to impeach him and is not for nothing. I suspect that TRump soft stance on Syria
    and Russia have something to do.  Even when TRump bombed Syria , weeks ago , it warned Russia of the attack hours before according to Putin himself in an interview later. So it looks like Trump is trying to get a policy balanced in middle east ,that will allow the Pentagon to get something from Syria while at the same time allowing Russia and Syria to continue operating and liberating territory.  Trump even shared information about ISIS with Russia ,at the annoyance of the congress , so to label Pentagon policy in Syria as a TRump
    thing will be a mistake. For me will prefer that all terrorist wiped ,including FSA
    but he needs to appease to the Pentagon demands too.  If trump want to reverse the Syrian conflict completely and help Assad it will need to go against its own Generals and Pentagon and earn more enemies to impeach him. The last thing Trump will like to do is go against its own Pentagon in defense of RUssia and Assad. So the president is being pushed in directions ,and the best he can do is minimize the hostilities in Syria between Russia and US a little.
    And try to focus on ISIS instead. Is not like Hillary clinton no fly zones , she promoted at all with the total destruction of Syria ,what the Pentagon wanted.
    After seeing all the things Trump have to deal ,all the resistance to his government from all media ,and vast majority of both political parties ,including his own , is safe to say ,that Presidents are just puppets in US and they do not implement policy at all. they can only modify a bit things but not completely reverse US foreign policy. The biggest difference between Trump and Obama ,over Syria is that Obama did not care at all about Syrians or their sponsor of terrorism , and that Trump shows some resistance to continue with Obama policies.  If he bombs today again a military base with Tomahawks it could be just a symbolical thing ,as the previous attack one was. and keep his enemies quiet about him being a "Russian agent". Maybe TRump give up with trying to resist the elite policies , after being blackmailed with jail .. for example. but until now ,is clear there is a fight to try to get rid of Trump from white house by congress and his respect for Russia and softer policies in Syria have something to do with it. because Syria is the most important policy of US at the moment. the only place they can bleed Russia and punish it.

Well, then, are you trying to justify the US attack with missiles to the Syrian air base?

If presidents are just puppets, there is nothing to justify of Trump, there is nothing to save of Trump.
    ultimatewarrior
    ultimatewarrior

Post  ultimatewarrior Thu May 18, 2017 8:33 pm

If Russia is satisfied with the Tartus port and the Jableh airbase, that's fine. They don't need any other part of Syria. They didn't do anything when Syria lost more than 2 thirds of its land. They didn't supply any arms to Syria while the US flooded terrorists with thousands of TOWs. NOW they come to save the day so they can have a foothold in Syria. Russians are cowards and not dependable.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am