Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


+14
Isos
JohninMK
AlfaT8
George1
higurashihougi
Mike E
Viktor
Flyingdutchman
GarryB
southeastasiansea
sepheronx
Turk1
milky_candy_sugar
Admin
18 posters

    China - Vietnam tensions over maritime territory

    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 39648
    Points : 40144
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    China - Vietnam tensions over maritime territory  - Page 3 Empty Re: China - Vietnam tensions over maritime territory

    Post  GarryB Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:09 am

    They are not moving the population of China to these islands, building these islands and ownership of those islands means they also legally own the waters around them including fishing and oil and gas.

    Being tiny areas is not important... most of them have airfields and is a stepping stone that extends the reach of Chinese aircraft who can fly from the mainland to there and refuel and fly even further out... you can also dock ships and subs there too so it extends your reach.

    If you have legal title to the ground 12 nautical miles beyond your boundary fence then 23 nautical miles away from your boundary fence becomes a good place to buy or build a new property for yourself, because your 12 mile boundary touches its 12 mile boundary and you control the water between them... if you are making islands... make them small so they are not too expensive, and make them about 23 nautical miles apart so you essentially control the water around your islands.

    Saying they are vulnerable... Guam is therefore vulnerable... can you see the US ever giving that up?

    The problem with Snake island is that it was in artillery range from mainland Ukraine held by Ukrainians.


    Fishing and oil and gas. Very low price to pay for enmity with a collective 700 million people, whos countries all have claims to the territory.

    If they all have claims then there is no solution is there?

    I mean if China suddenly said it appreciates its relations with its neighbours more than the possession of these lumps of dirt and concrete, then the next strongest country in the region is most likely to pounce and take control... well actually what is more likely to happen is that the US will probably rush in and claim ownership, or a US proxy like Japan or Australia... which is why China is not going to have such a change of heart.

    You're not going to bomb anyone into submission with such a paltry force.

    They don't need to kill everyone... but sinking a half dozen ships from the navy of the country that keeps attacking their islands will probably do it.
    lancelot
    lancelot


    Posts : 2860
    Points : 2858
    Join date : 2020-10-18

    China - Vietnam tensions over maritime territory  - Page 3 Empty Re: China - Vietnam tensions over maritime territory

    Post  lancelot Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:17 am

    lyle6 wrote:
    Isos wrote:Those natives btw can handle much less missile on their heads than chinese navy or army. I doubt they want to see 300 chinese fighterd above their heads with tebs of bombs.
    That's less airpower that the Saudis and their allies have mustered to bomb neighboring dirt poor Yemen with a population of 33 million.

    You're not going to bomb anyone into submission with such a paltry force.
    The Chinese have like 600 modern heavy fighters. Half J-20 and half J-16.
    And that is not counting older aircraft like the J-11 or the J-10. Like another 1000 aircraft.

    They also have the largest bomber fleet outside the US and Russia.
    The H-6K. Which is a modernized H-6 with air launched cruise missiles.
    Plus they have nukes.
    lyle6
    lyle6


    Posts : 2292
    Points : 2286
    Join date : 2020-09-14
    Location : Philippines

    China - Vietnam tensions over maritime territory  - Page 3 Empty Re: China - Vietnam tensions over maritime territory

    Post  lyle6 Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:56 am

    GarryB wrote:They are not moving the population of China to these islands, building these islands and ownership of those islands means they also legally own the waters around them including fishing and oil and gas.
    Artificial islands don't count towards EEZs.

    GarryB wrote:
    Saying they are vulnerable... Guam is therefore vulnerable... can you see the US ever giving that up?

    The problem with Snake island is that it was in artillery range from mainland Ukraine held by Ukrainians.
    In the age of the cheap PGM - is there any difference?

    GarryB wrote:
    If they all have claims then there is no solution is there?

    I mean if China suddenly said it appreciates its relations with its neighbours more than the possession of these lumps of dirt and concrete, then the next strongest country in the region is most likely to pounce and take control... well actually what is more likely to happen is that the US will probably rush in and claim ownership, or a US proxy like Japan or Australia... which is why China is not going to have such a change of heart.
    Merely doing nothing would have been the better choice. As it is the US wins a few more allies, gets its pick of shiny new bases from the SEA countries.

    GarryB wrote:
    They don't need to kill everyone... but sinking a half dozen ships from the navy of the country that keeps attacking their islands will probably do it.
    You don't need a navy to attack those islands. What then?

    lancelot wrote:
    The Chinese have like 600 modern heavy fighters. Half J-20 and half J-16.
    And that is not counting older aircraft like the J-11 or the J-10. Like another 1000 aircraft.

    They also have the largest bomber fleet outside the US and Russia.
    The H-6K. Which is a modernized H-6 with air launched cruise missiles.
    Plus they have nukes.
    Good for them. Now add the US and its vassals because there is no way they are going to not butt in.

    xeno likes this post


    Sponsored content


    China - Vietnam tensions over maritime territory  - Page 3 Empty Re: China - Vietnam tensions over maritime territory

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:39 am