Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+25
Odin of Ossetia
Djabberwocky
Cifu
ScotchedEarth
d_taddei2
sepheronx
mack8
Rodinazombie
franco
victor1985
Godric
George1
jhelb
Stealthflanker
flamming_python
Sujoy
Cyberspec
SOC
Werewolf
KomissarBojanchev
collegeboy16
Austin
GarryB
IronsightSniper
nightcrawler
29 posters

Military/War Books-Publications

GarryB
    GarryB

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 4 Empty Re: Military/War Books-Publications

Post  GarryB Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 am

Thanks.

Not many pictures... Shocked

BTW It is a forum rule that the first post should be an introduction in the introductions section.
    Djabberwocky

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 4 Empty Re: Military/War Books-Publications

Post  Djabberwocky Wed May 15, 2019 2:17 pm

GarryB wrote:Thanks.

Not many pictures...   Shocked

BTW It is a forum rule that the first post should be an introduction in the introductions section.

I apologize if I posted a topic in the wrong section!
    The book is primarily informative! There are no illustrations there, but for the first time in the Russian edition, all the number plants of the defense industry with a description of the products that were produced on them are gathered together!
    Djabberwocky

Post  Djabberwocky Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:39 pm

Djabberwocky wrote:Dear Colleagues!
    A book is being distributed (digital copy) "Defense enterprises of the USSR and Russia" (Moscow: TOM, 2010)
    Specifications: 300 dpi output resolution, conversion to pdf-format.
    Download link https://yadi.sk/d/so_ZosdYBB_5gw
    If there are any problems with the download, please email me at RAFAirBook@yandex.ru I can put the book on another resource.
    Book in Russian!

Dear friends!
    Book deleted! Thanks to everyone who downloaded. On distribution - only the catalog! If you need a book, write to RAFAirBook@yandex.ru
    jhelb
    jhelb

Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

Post  jhelb Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:08 pm

Some Russian military magazines can be downloaded from this link

http://www.armourbook.com/bronetechnic/bronafterwwii/
    Djabberwocky

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 4 Empty Tu-16 airplane (book)

Post  Djabberwocky Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:16 pm

Dear colleagues!
    You can download the book:
    "Tu-16 aircraft. Technical description (Book 1: tactical flight data)" (Moscow: Oborongiz, 1956)
    The book is illustrated with drawings and photo illustrations. Volume - 22 pages of a larger format. "-.jpeg" file format.
    Download Link https://yadi.sk/d/m2y2VCNWj1tFsw
    For a full list of books in Russian, you can download our illustrated pdf-catalog from MAKS-2019: https://yadi.sk/i/Jx0Q2Elun2207A
    The book can be downloaded until December 22, 2019 inclusive. Distribution catalog - indefinitely.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:51 am

Thanks for that Djabberwocky.

Can I suggest, if you know the person scanning the documents, if they don't have colour pictures you will get a smaller file size with quality good enough for OCR if you save them in the GIF format. It is not good at colour images because it is limited in the number of colours it uses, but when the image is just text then extra colours is actually a bad thing because it adds a lot of extra information in the file that is totally wasted because 200 shades of colour of white through to black are not needed when it is black text on white paper...

GIFs are also good for cartoon like images where there is not a lot of shading and thousands of colours as it makes the files smaller without losing useful detail.
    Djabberwocky

Post  Djabberwocky Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:22 pm

Thanks for your technical comment!
    I will be happy to work with everyone who enjoys our work. There is a lot of unique technical material.
    I don’t really worry about file sizes. I hope you enjoyed my work.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:47 am

File sizes are important for most users... smaller file sizes load quicker and update quicker when you are moving through them in a slide show or media player.

The only benefit of a large file size is resolution and detail, but if you can achieve a smaller file size while retaining the image quality then it makes sense to do so.

Just reducing the jpg quality you can also reduce the file size but the image quality gets much worse and would make OCR much less effective.

OCR means translations into other languages becomes possible converting what is essentially a group of pictures containing information you need to extract manually by viewing the image. It turns it into a text file which can be translated into other languages and searched to find information much more easily.

It is like the difference between having a book with or without an index... to find specific information you need to manually search through the book to find what you are looking for.

It is much better to have huge file sizes with very high resolution images than to have too low an image quality that ruins the information there, but you need to find a balance. Generally for text a good resolution is 300dpi to allow OCR, but as I said if it is just black text on a white or yellowing with age paper background you don't need the thousands or millions of colours a jpg can store... unless there are colour images I would save it as a grey scale and gif to make the image file rich in detail if OCR or other processing is needed but such settings would also mean a relatively small file size, so storing them or downloading or uploading them will be easier and quicker respectively... and also you can look through them faster on any computer.

Very simply if you want to create a library of old books as a resource using OCR would make them much much smaller and fully search-able which greatly increases their value in terms of a library. Imagine a library with no index where you had to look through images of books to find what you want... very inefficient.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:25 pm

Sorry, to be clear I have reread my posts and I almost come across as bullying... I am sorry for that, I appreciate you posting these books and making them available to us.

Good resolution images like this can be loaded into Yandex and their OCR function can allow translation into other languages to allow this information to be made useful.

On the internet however, making things available for downloading ties up resources and with large file sizes even more so, but if you can achieve an acceptable level of quality with a much smaller image size that can save a lot in terms of download size and increase download speed as well as reduce the footprint of a library of files on a hard drive.

Again, My thanks for making this work available, I do appreciate that very much.

(note at: https://translate.yandex.com/ocr you can upload a page of this Tu-16 book and after a few seconds it will load the image and highlight text it detects in yellow. If you then left click on the yellow blocks it translates them into english... or whatever other language you set... like having your own personal translator though not perfect of course...)
    Djabberwocky

Post  Djabberwocky Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:39 am

Thank you again for the detailed technical comment!
    Maybe you could download the book and remake it for other users? Many would be grateful to you, I'm sure!
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:50 pm

That is the frustrating thing... I am currently using Linux and it is taking me a while to work out how to get windows products that would do the conversion job well like Irfanview or Format Factory to work under this operating system.

Even very old versions of photoshop allowed you to save image files where you could change the format type and resolution and image size and it would show the file size so you could take one page and have four versions of it on screen each taking up a quarter of the screen with the original image and then three other available alternatives so you might have the original jpg in the top left and in the top right you might have a lower quality jpg setting, while bottom left you could have gif format and bottom right maybe tiff file format and you could see each image side by side zoomed in on text or images on the same page so you could compare the quality directly with the original. It would also display the file size for each format so if there is a huge reduction in file size but everything is still clear you could base your choice on file size, or if the picture is not good enough you can change the parameters... most jpgs have millions of colours per pixel which means 16 to 24 bits per pixel depending on the image quality.. with a gif you might only need 256 colours... which means 8 bits per pixel would be fine.

It is something I have been meaning to do... work out more useful tools in Linux that I used to use a lot when I was using Windows or even Workbench. With Irfanview there are batch processing scripts... you could just drag all the pages into the process list and choose convert to gif and then click start.

I remember doing a project where I was working with documents someone else had scanned where each page was 3-4 megabytes like these ones and it was a real pain in the ass because it was a few years ago and the computer I was using was much slower than this one. It took days to download ten pages on dial up, and I couldn't work with more than three pages open at any one time... jpg is a compression format so when you have it open it takes up orders of magnitude more space in computer memory... I opened one of the pages you posted in the Linux equivalent of Photoshop called GIMP and the file size open was over 100 megabytes and things didn't move fast or smooth. I decided back then to convert them to gif format files to make them easier to use and work with... do you know how many floppy disks you need for a 4 megabyte file and what a pain in the ass a file splitting programme is to split the files to fit them on a 1.4MB floppy...

Anyway, after converting to gif, the files were less than 300K each and loaded real fast and I could still use optical character recognition software to convert it into editable text that I could then search and edit... it made everything so much easier.

The person who scanned it didn't know what I was using it for so they scanned at 600dpi to get every single detail, but most of the time legible text is all you need... which means 300dpi is good enough without being too bloated a file for OCR.

Anyway sorry for going on about this... thank you again for posting the book. Smile
    Djabberwocky

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 4 Empty Book "MiG-17F airplane with VK-1F"

Post  Djabberwocky Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:00 pm

Dear colleagues!
    The book “MiG-17F Aircraft with VK-1F. Technical Description. Book 1: Flight Performance of an Aircraft” is being distributed. The book is illustrated with drawings and photo illustrations.
    Book Download Link https://yadi.sk/d/AHQU6pGuSEu8Cg
    For those who want to read the list of books - an illustrated catalog from MAKS-2019
    https://yadi.sk/i/Jx0Q2Elun2207A
    The book will be in distribution until March 8, 2020, the catalog - indefinitely.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue May 26, 2020 12:45 pm

The Center for Analysis of Strategies and Technologies (CAST) is pleased to announce the release of a new book, "The Allies", edited by Konstantin Makienko.

The book provides a comprehensive analysis of the military, economic, demographic and natural potential of Russia's allies in the Collective Security Treaty Organization - Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan. Their foreign policy and relations with Russia are examined. Hypotheses are formulated regarding the value of each of these states for Russia and an assessment is given of the level of their allied loyalty.

You can download the book in PDF format here.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:28 pm

On the twelfth anniversary (already what a story!) Of the beginning of the Five-Day War in South Ossetia, our blog reminds that the book "Tanks of August" published by the Center for Analysis of Strategies and Technologies (CAST) in 2009 remains to this day the best open work about this conflict. The collection has also been translated and published in English, French and German.

The book "Tanks of August" can be found in the public domain on the CAST website.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4108449.html

LMFS likes this post

Odin of Ossetia
    Odin of Ossetia

Post  Odin of Ossetia Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:27 pm

George1 wrote:On the twelfth anniversary (already what a story!) Of the beginning of the Five-Day War in South Ossetia, our blog reminds that the book "Tanks of August" published by the Center for Analysis of Strategies and Technologies (CAST) in 2009 remains to this day the best open work about this conflict. The collection has also been translated and published in English, French and German.

The book "Tanks of August" can be found in the public domain on the CAST website.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4108449.html

I think that war lasted longer than only five days, I have even one entry for early September of 2008, for my Georgian Losses Reports on my forum:

http://asaland.proboards.com/thread/264/georgian-losses-reports

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:00 pm

Center for Analysis of Strategies and Technologies on the Situation in the South Caucasus

The forecast of the Center for Analysis of Strategies and Technologies (CAST), given in 2018, came true. Read more in the book "Waiting for the Storm: South Caucasus", which is available on the on the CAST website in free access.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4149697.html
    Djabberwocky

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 4 Empty IL-28 aircraft

Post  Djabberwocky Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:16 pm

Dear Colleagues!
    The book "IL-28 aircraft. Technical description. Book 1: basic technical data of the aircraft" (1953)
    Download link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lnJlELr1UwhFj0MknzLBF1FfkVyhjET5/view?usp=sharing
    The book is distributed until January 23, 2021. If you want to collaborate with our library, please contact us!

GarryB likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:08 am

Very nice.

Thanks.
    eridan

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 4 Empty Help me find specific Vzlet/Take off magazine issues?

Post  eridan Thu May 06, 2021 12:39 pm

Many years ago, I had in my possession two issues of the Russian published Vzlet magazine. Maybe those were even the English language editions, named Take off. I don't remember. Sadly, I've lost them over the years.

But I do remember that one issue had an in depth piece on history of production of MiG bureau in the Soviet union. Tables with years, numbers of models made etc. And the other issue of the magazine had the same but for Sukhoi bureau.

Does ANYONE know which issues those were, exactly? Any information that'd help me get back into possession of said issues?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri May 07, 2021 9:39 am

http://fantasylab.ru/take-off-en/index.htm

Archive of magazines 2005-2017:

http://fantasylab.ru/take-off-en/arhiv.htm

(note rightclick on the RDF symbol and save file as to save copy)
    Djabberwocky

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 4 Empty Aircraft La-15. Technical description

Post  Djabberwocky Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:07 pm

Dear Colleagues! The book "Aircraft La-15. Technical description (book 1: flight-tactical data)" is distributed.
    Download link https://yadi.sk/d/52z-ZldN_f4XRA
    The book is distributed until August 14, 2021.

GarryB and ALAMO like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:35 am

Nice. Thank you.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:45 am

WE HAVE DONE OUR DUTY! ANGOLA: 1975-1992
    Military/War Books-Publications - Page 4 Cover-10

GarryB likes this post

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:05 pm

Russia's Military Interventions: Patterns, Drivers, and Signposts
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:06 am

Looks like you have linked to a file directly on your own personal hard drive which we cannot access.

To share such files you would need to upload them to a file sharing site and share the link.

You can also do a websearch based on the file name as it seems to be very specific... which led me to this:

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RRA400/RRA444-3/RAND_RRA444-3.pdf

You should be able to right click that link and download it...

George1 likes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 pm