Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+65
galicije83
limb
TMA1
diabetus
Podlodka77
mnrck
Krepost
Lennox
Atmosphere
Rasisuki Nebia
Broski
eridan
ALAMO
LMFS
RTN
Sujoy
The-thing-next-door
ult
AJ-47
thegopnik
mnztr
jhelb
PhSt
xeno
dino00
archangelski
Hole
Isos
Interlinked
franco
Regular
0nillie0
Benya
BliTTzZ
miketheterrible
airstrike
JohninMK
sepheronx
OminousSpudd
Project Canada
magnumcromagnon
PapaDragon
d_taddei2
GunshipDemocracy
Cyberspec
Akula971
KomissarBojanchev
Vann7
Morpheus Eberhardt
Vympel
Mike E
kvs
Viktor
Dima
flamming_python
Mindstorm
gloriousfatherland
TR1
George1
medo
TheArmenian
AbsoluteZero
nightcrawler
GarryB
Russian Patriot
69 posters

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S

GarryB
    GarryB

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 Empty Re: Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S

Post  GarryB Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:39 am

That vehicle only has 6 tubes per launcher... that makes it less powerful than Uragan, which of course has 16 tubes.

I rather suspect those tubes are 300mm.

I think your problem is that Uragan means Tornado and so it is getting confused.

the whole idea of a palletised system would be one heavy platform that can carry either light (122mm Grad) medium (220mm Uragan) or heavy (300mm Smerch) rockets in reloadable pallets.

Another system on a lighter truck that was more mobile and could perhaps only carry the lighter rockets would be useful, though a lighter truck version with a pallet load would also add all the advantages of pallet loads as well as offer the flexibility when loading with a wider choice of rocket types and calibres.

the Amusing thing is that if the target is an enemy grouping of armoured vehicles 30km away loading up 122mm rockets actually offers the best solution as the 40 tubes with two anti tank top attack guided sensor fused submunitions means 80 tank killers with the 122mm version while the 300mm model carries 5 munitions per rocket, but with just 12 rockets, that means 60 munitions... though the 300mm system can hurl them to 90km which is rather further than the 122mm which can only reach 30km with the same weapon system.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 Empty Re: Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S

Post  Mike E Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:09 am

GarryB wrote:That vehicle only has 6 tubes per launcher... that makes it less powerful than Uragan, which of course has 16 tubes.

I rather suspect those tubes are 300mm.

I think your problem is that Uragan means Tornado and so it is getting confused.

the whole idea of a palletised system would be one heavy platform that can carry either light (122mm Grad) medium (220mm Uragan) or heavy (300mm Smerch) rockets in reloadable pallets.

Another system on a lighter truck that was more mobile and could perhaps only carry the lighter rockets would be useful, though a lighter truck version with a pallet load would also add all the advantages of pallet loads as well as offer the flexibility when loading with a wider choice of rocket types and calibres.

the Amusing thing is that if the target is an enemy grouping of armoured vehicles 30km away loading up 122mm rockets actually offers the best solution as the 40 tubes with two anti tank top attack guided sensor fused submunitions means 80 tank killers with the 122mm version while the 300mm model carries 5 munitions per rocket, but with just 12 rockets, that means 60 munitions... though the 300mm system can hurl them to 90km which is rather further than the 122mm which can only reach 30km with the same weapon system.
    I have seen it holding 15 rockets on each side, for a total of 30...

Found it by searching for the 220 mm Tornado.

Just as bad as the "Akula" and "Typhoon" mix-up brought to you by NATO.

That it the entire basis of the Tornado... Modular rocket artillery, but only on newer chassis' and not the Tornado-G.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:59 am

Yes, I suspect there are three different pallet types... the 15 tube pallet will likely be 122mm calibre so two pallets means 30 rockets, while the 220mm pallet likely has 8 tubes per pallet meaning 16 tubes, the same as Uragan, while the 6 tube pallet likely is the 300mm Smerch rocket pallet.

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 G10

The above picture shows the 15 tube per pallet system which by the look of it uses 122mm calibre rockets.

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 55071210

This drawing however seems to show another palletised system with 20 rockets per pallet.

I have yet to see the 8 tube 220mm rocket pallet and have only seen the 6 tube 300mm pallet.

To me a light vehicle able to carry half the payload of the existing systems and a medium vehicle able to carry the same payload as existing vehicles would make a lot of sense operationally.

the medium system could be the standard system and the light system could be used in places and environments where the heavier system would not be very mobile.

For a mountain unit or a light or arctic unit the light unit might be more affordable and more mobile... and it would likely have better export potential too.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:13 pm

Tornado-G: Grad follow-on (hence the "G")
    Tornado-U: Uragan follow-on (hence the "U")
    Tornado-S: Smerch follow-on (hence the "S")

Tornado-G

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 MEtReNb

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 UC0cPiu

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 ZxC4w82

On of the guided projectiles for Tornado-S and Smerch

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 LxiD8kN
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:48 pm

GarryB wrote:

Yes, I suspect there are three different pallet types... the 15 tube pallet will likely be 122mm calibre so two pallets means 30 rockets, while the 220mm pallet likely has 8 tubes per pallet meaning 16 tubes, the same as Uragan, while the 6 tube pallet likely is the 300mm Smerch rocket pallet.

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 G10

The above picture shows the 15 tube per pallet system which by the look of it uses 122mm calibre rockets.

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 55071210

This drawing however seems to show another palletised system with 20 rockets per pallet.

I have yet to see the 8 tube 220mm rocket pallet and have only seen the 6 tube 300mm pallet.

To me a light vehicle able to carry half the payload of the existing systems and a medium vehicle able to carry the same payload as existing vehicles would make a lot of sense operationally.

the medium system could be the standard system and the light system could be used in places and environments where the heavier system would not be very mobile.

For a mountain unit or a light or arctic unit the light unit might be more affordable and more mobile... and it would likely have better export potential too.
    Those tubes are way to large to be 122 mm! Look at these for reference...

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 1280px-Azeri_Lynx_Grad%2C_parad_in_Baku%2C_2013
    And...
    Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 Wr40_langusta_l2
    See the difference between these and the picture you posted? My guess is that the 220 mm has *either* 16 or 30 rockets for some reason, maybe the 16 one is actually export? 

The 300 mm Smerch upgrade will have either 6 or 12 rockets, so it is likely the 220 mm -U has a similar option as well.

Thanks Morpheus for the added reference above.
    Vann7

Post  Vann7 Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:52 pm

What would it take Russia to get a Tornado launch 500mm rockets? the heavier the rocket the better
    the punching power.. imagine a Tornado -Ultra with such rockets carrying at least 20 of them.. Smile

I thinking if Russia wanted it they could do it.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:06 pm

Vann7 wrote:

What would it take Russia to get a Tornado launch 500mm rockets?  the heavier the rocket the better
    the punching power.. imagine a Tornado -Ultra  with such rockets carrying at least 20 of them.. Smile

I thinking if Russia wanted it they could do it.
    They don't have any 500 mm rockets... At that point that are basically cruise missiles or ballistic missiles, no point IMHO.

The Smerch can't even hold 20 300 mm rockets, how on Earth would anything hold 20 500 mm ones?

They could, but what is the point?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:09 pm

Yes, you are quite right.

So the 15 tube pallets are 220mm and the 300mm are 6 tubes per pallet, but I have yet to see the 122mm pallets.

See the difference between these and the picture you posted? My guess is that the 220 mm has *either* 16 or 30 rockets for some reason, maybe the 16 one is actually export?

You have to be careful... there are a range of 122mm rockets in Russian service... including 10km range anti diver rockets for coastal protection, and various different platforms with differing numbers of tubes.

Looking at the pictures of Tornado-G the 122mm system doesn't seem to use a palletised system, so the medium vehicles might just have 220mm and 300mm options, while the smaller lighter vehicles might only be 122mm.

There is one light vehicle designed to use pallets, but if there is no 122mm pallet system then it might only be able to use 220mm and 300mm rockets (one pallet instead of the mediums two).

ie light vehicle:

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 Img_3510
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:39 pm

GarryB wrote:..., but I have yet to see the 122mm pallets.

These seem to be 122 mm rocket/missile pallets (of the reloadable type) for another version of Tornado-G.

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 OdrlfUr
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:09 pm

Some related systems:

Modernized Grad

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 RQMStDk

Modernized Grad

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 9841qVF

Variant of Tornado-G(?)

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 ZOd6LE7

An experimental model of Grad with 56 launch tubes

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 YvQpQh1

Prima (9K59) with 50 launch tubes(?) Seemingly one of the launch tubes is used for a different purpose.

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 CUlPutW

Last edited by Morpheus Eberhardt on Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 Empty Modernized Grad

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:28 pm

Prima (9K59)

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 Zb9S8bg

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 OUUkECl

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 CUlPutW

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 ADYX8oh

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 CkPL4Pj

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 G3CrRTt

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 MI5JMfz

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 HS9w8d7

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 ZxqTmUH
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:08 pm

GarryB wrote:

Yes, you are quite right.

So the 15 tube pallets are 220mm and the 300mm are 6 tubes per pallet, but I have yet to see the 122mm pallets.

You have to be careful... there are a range of 122mm rockets in Russian service... including 10km range anti diver rockets for coastal protection, and various different platforms with differing numbers of tubes.

Looking at the pictures of Tornado-G the 122mm system doesn't seem to use a palletised system, so the medium vehicles might just have 220mm and 300mm options, while the smaller lighter vehicles might only be 122mm.

There is one light vehicle designed to use pallets, but if there is no 122mm pallet system then it might only be able to use 220mm and 300mm rockets (one pallet instead of the mediums two).

ie light vehicle:

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 Img_3510
    Yep.... I haven't seen any 122 mm "pallets" either, only the Tornado G's rocket tube alignment which is like the Grads.

True, but in general, the system may have a variant with a larger number of tubes. I'm not certain, but it is plausible 

Morpheus, the "Modernized Grad" with 15 barrels on each side is 220 mm.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:00 am

Mike E wrote:Morpheus, the "Modernized Grad" with 15 barrels on each side is 220 mm.

I had the following picture in mind. What do you think about the launch tube size of these pallets?

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:

These seem to be 122 mm rocket/missile pallets (of the reloadable type) for another version of Tornado-G.

Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:04 am

Mike E wrote:Morpheus, the "Modernized Grad" with 15 barrels on each side is 220 mm.

I had the following picture in mind. What do you think about the launch tube size of these pallets?

Got it... Anyway, those pallets do look like they are Tornado chassis ready. My question is ifthey will actual use them, or will they go for the Tornado-G only? So far the -G seems to be their choice, but these pallets somewhat contradict that!
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:29 am

Mike E wrote:Got it... Anyway, those pallets do look like they are Tornado chassis ready. My question is ifthey will actual use them, or will they go for the Tornado-G only? So far the -G seems to be their choice, but these pallets somewhat contradict that!

I think from a tactical point of view, they have to use Tornado-G or other tactically equivalent systems as part the brigade-organic MRL assets. Please note that previously Grad type systems were for divisional use, and the smaller Grad-1 type systems were for regimental use.

I think the 122 mm pallets on larger vehicles are technical gimmicks, except that, they may be intended for the subordination of 122 mm rockets, also, to the operational command (in parallel to the 220 mm and 300 mm systems), even though, Tornado-G or other tactically equivalent systems still make more sense even as assets subordinated to the operational command.

I am also certain that we would see variants of Tornado-G on other chassis types, e.g. tracked chassis, for use in various brigade types.

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:30 am

So we have 20 tube pallets for the 122mm rockets, 15 tube pallets for the 220mm rockets and 6 tube pallets for the 300mm rockets.

That makes sense.

With the new pallet based system I wonder if they have a heavily armoured tracked chassis that they might add the TOS rockets to the system.

Usually a 30 tube system a pallet for TOS would be interesting for an Armata vehicle... it could perform short range anti mine missions with TOS rockets, or long range artillery missions with Smerch and everything in between.

I guess that would be taking standardisation too far.

BTW the 122mm pallet idea has also gone to sea:

Russian MRLS: Grad, Uragan, Smerch, Tornado-G/S - Page 4 Img_4610

reloadable from below deck pallets...

Nice pics BTW Morph...
    KomissarBojanchev
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:09 pm

Do ship mounted 122mm MLRSs have Guided rounds? If so then russia would have a perfect anti-insurgency and anti-piracy tool able to be equipped on most small ships without wasting billions on underequipped Lemons like the US did with the littoral ships program...
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:44 pm

KomissarBojanchev wrote:Do ship mounted 122mm MLRSs have Guided rounds? If so then russia would have a perfect anti-insurgency and anti-piracy tool able to be equipped on most small ships without wasting billions on underequipped Lemons like the US did with the littoral ships program...

Yes, they have both guided missiles and corrected rockets, with "corrected rockets" referring to a different novel inexpensive concept.

As an aside, the Russian amphibious ships used naval 122 mm MRLs to fire targeted unguided warning rockets at the Georgian naval vessels during the 2008 war, before using guided missiles to sink them.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:51 am

Tornado-S and Smerch have the capability to fire tactical missiles also?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:29 am

Probably not, but the heavier vehicle will likely be unified with the Iskander system and therefore will operate with both ballistic and cruise missiles.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:13 pm

Nice thumbsup

In the Eastern Military District troops arrived latest multiple launch rocket systems "Tornado-G"

About 20 new multiple launch rocket systems (MLRS) "Tornado-G" came in motorized infantry connection Eastern Military District (BBO) to replace the MLRS "Grad".
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:44 pm

Viktor wrote:Nice  thumbsup

In the Eastern Military District troops arrived latest multiple launch rocket systems "Tornado-G"

About 20 new multiple launch rocket systems (MLRS) "Tornado-G" came in motorized infantry connection Eastern Military District (BBO) to replace the MLRS "Grad".

they are identical in view right?
    Akula971
    Akula971

Post  Akula971 Tue May 12, 2015 8:03 am

This has me quite confused, how different does a Tornado G look from a BM 21 GRAD ??

The other variants of the Tornado look different from the base models, albeit being lighter and all but so far, all the intel i have suggets that the Tornado G and the BM 21 Grad look the same ?

I am just talking about appearance here, not the range and GLONASS support that has been added.

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue May 12, 2015 3:45 pm

Akula971 wrote:This has me quite confused, how different does a Tornado G look from a BM 21 GRAD ??

The other variants of the Tornado look different from the base models, albeit being lighter and all but so far, all the intel i have suggets that the Tornado G and the BM 21 Grad look the same ?

I am just talking about appearance here, not the range and GLONASS support that has been added.

yes exactly the same in appearance
    Akula971
    Akula971

Post  Akula971 Tue May 12, 2015 5:30 pm

So that means its not air droppable like its S and U versions.

Still the added range is amazing. 100Kms is a lot. I believe they can have the vehicles relocate before the salvo reaches its target from that distance.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 am