Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+49
Project Canada
HeNeArKrXeRn_
PapaDragon
auslander
Flagship Victory
par far
JohninMK
whir
Regular
Cowboy's daughter
sepheronx
medo
GarryB
kap-the-head
Big_Gazza
Cahaba
Admin
Godric
KomissarBojanchev
Neutrality
gregoire
OminousSpudd
wilhelm
Dforce
BKP
AlfaT8
Zivo
Odin of Ossetia
Firebird
Ruthenius
2SPOOKY4U
flamming_python
Morpheus Eberhardt
higurashihougi
onwiththewar
Ispan
franco
ExBeobachter1987
Karl Haushofer
Erk
sektor
Ghoster
Vann7
magnumcromagnon
Werewolf
Rodinazombie
kvs
Khepesh
KoTeMoRe
53 posters

The Situation in the Ukraine. #18

JohninMK
    JohninMK

The Situation in the Ukraine. #18 - Page 16 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #18

Post  JohninMK Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:00 am

auslander wrote:
    Regular wrote:
    Ivan the Colorado wrote:
    Wow. I am so sorry. I didn't realize you had such a close link to the conflict there as well. My respect for you just doubled for you and your wife's sacrifice for helping those kids out. I hope they are doing fine and please tell you son thank you for his service as well.
    X2
    Didn't know that too. Respect to Auslander, I wish You and Your family the best. Excuse me for my comment about children, I have my own and I would never want to see them in a way of harm, no matter how old are they.

Please, I/we take no offense of comments, no one, we thought, knew of our efforts. If the media had not broached the subject I would have said nothing but if media knows, everyone in this huge village knows.

The four girls are doing as well as can be expected and according to my wife from her every two weeks visit they are looking forward to school starting 01 September, a scant month away. We did arrange for a pair of tutors to bring them up to speed in their studies and start them in English classes. When things calm down they will come home to us.

Our son is also doing well, we communicate with him as his duties allow.  
    It is very sobering when the real world connected to you, whose words I (and I suspect many here) have read for a long time and respect, comes crashing, completely out of the blue, into the safe and comfortable worlds that most of us reading your words inhabit.

Even though I am a reasonably well educated native English speaker I find it very difficult to put how I feel into words. There is a very simple two word phrase into which I want to inject as much power and feeling as I can. Well done.
    Flagship Victory
    Flagship Victory

The Situation in the Ukraine. #18 - Page 16 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #18

Post  Flagship Victory Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:38 am

So what happens if the US sends long range counter battery radars to Maidan? They would be out of range of NAF's artillery. Would Russia send Zoopark 1M to NAF?
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:47 am

Flagship Victory wrote:So what happens if the US sends long range counter battery radars to Maidan? They would be out of range of NAF's artillery. Would Russia send Zoopark 1M to NAF?

The biggest range in offer for now is the TPQ 37's 50 km's (although it might have a bigger range with block II) There's nothing out of Smerch's range so far.
    auslander
    auslander

Post  auslander Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:53 am

JohninMK wrote:
    auslander wrote:
    Regular wrote:
    Ivan the Colorado wrote:
    Wow. I am so sorry. I didn't realize you had such a close link to the conflict there as well. My respect for you just doubled for you and your wife's sacrifice for helping those kids out. I hope they are doing fine and please tell you son thank you for his service as well.
    X2
    Didn't know that too. Respect to Auslander, I wish You and Your family the best. Excuse me for my comment about children, I have my own and I would never want to see them in a way of harm, no matter how old are they.

Please, I/we take no offense of comments, no one, we thought, knew of our efforts. If the media had not broached the subject I would have said nothing but if media knows, everyone in this huge village knows.

The four girls are doing as well as can be expected and according to my wife from her every two weeks visit they are looking forward to school starting 01 September, a scant month away. We did arrange for a pair of tutors to bring them up to speed in their studies and start them in English classes. When things calm down they will come home to us.

It is very sobering when the real world connected to you, whose words I (and I suspect many here) have read for a long time and respect, comes crashing, completely out of the blue, into the safe and comfortable worlds that most of us reading your words inhabit.

Even though I am a reasonably well educated native English speaker I find it very difficult to put how I feel into words. There is a very simple two word phrase into which I want to inject as much power and feeling as I can. Well done.

John, your words to us mean far more than you can possibly imagine. My wife, who frequently sits beside me as we read and we write, had tears in her eyes for your 'well done'. She did not expect that from a westerner and she very humbly expresses her thanks to you and your understanding of our life here.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:21 am

auslander wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:
    auslander wrote:
    Regular wrote:
    Ivan the Colorado wrote:
    X2

John, your words to us mean far more than you can possibly imagine. My wife, who frequently sits beside me as we read and we write, had tears in her eyes for your 'well done'. She did not expect that from a westerner and she very humbly expresses her thanks to you and your understanding of our life here.

She has to know from being with you that we are generally a good bunch... we just have let our greed take over our judgement. Wink

Last edited by franco on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
    Erk
    Erk

Post  Erk Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:49 am

franco wrote:
    She has to know from being with you that we are generally a better good bunch... we just have let our greed take over our judgement. Wink

I don't think it's just greed, I think empathy is disappearing in the modern world. That could be a chemical thing, but that's another story. When empathy goes, so does trust, and wars start.

A partial solution, which may sound silly, is more hugs every day, keep people feeling that they are one big family and you don't get crazy Right Sector behavior etc. Once they get out of the general community into their army buddy units, then it's much harder, because they bond with their buddies and not the general community. It's kind of like biker gangs from Hollywood movies. Effects both sides too.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:35 am

Erk wrote:
    franco wrote:
    She has to know from being with you that we are generally a better good bunch... we just have let our greed take over our judgement. Wink

I don't think it's just greed, I think empathy is disappearing in the modern world. That could be a chemical thing, but that's another story. When empathy goes, so does trust, and wars start.

A partial solution, which may sound silly, is more hugs every day, keep people feeling that they are one big family and you don't get crazy Right Sector behavior etc. Once they get out of the general community into their army buddy units, then it's much harder, because they bond with their buddies and not the general community. It's kind of like biker gangs from Hollywood movies. Effects both sides too.

Please, no drugs (chemicals) or hugs... trying to cut back Laughing
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:51 am

auslander wrote:
    Regular wrote:
    Ivan the Colorado wrote:
    X2

Auslander you are King among men. Best wishes to you, your wife and your children.
    Neutrality
    Neutrality

Post  Neutrality Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:03 am

You're a good man Auslander. You and your wife are good people.

Regarding Ukraine. Some guy shot up a bank in Kiev, using a grenade launcher.

Post  Guest Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:54 am

Neutrality wrote:You're a good man Auslander. You and your wife are good people.

Grand Theft Auto VI: Kiev
    Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:19 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    auslander wrote:
    Regular wrote:
    Ivan the Colorado wrote:
    X2

Auslander you are King among men. Best wishes to you, your wife and your children.

x2 regarding you and your wife.

1. Your children being orphaned, and 2. what U.S. politicians or Congress-persons or the Pentagon says, are 1. the real world, and the Second=absolute bs. It's insane.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:02 am

Neutrality wrote:You're a good man Auslander. You and your wife are good people.

Guns are so 2014. You gotta keep up with the times man...

Do it with style or don't do it at all. lol1 afro

The dude with grenade launcher knows what I'm talking about. respekt
    auslander
    auslander

Post  auslander Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:04 am

franco wrote:
    auslander wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:
    auslander wrote:
    Regular wrote:
    Ivan the Colorado wrote:
    X2

She has to know from being with you that we are generally a good bunch... we just have let our greed take over our judgement. Wink

She understands that but she's seen so much in the last year and a half that sometimes her reaction to westerners is almost Pavlovian although she is always polite on the now very rare occasion that we meet a foreigner.
    higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:48 am

Feel free to take a look if you want to know what is the meaning of garbage propaganda.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.913245808737073.1073741864.144958328899162&type=3

Anyway since when Ukraine became an "independence democratic country" ?
    whir

Post  whir Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:14 am

НВО телеканал wrote:In the city center explosion Ukrinbank (Ascension descent 10B)

Служба безпеки України wrote:Security drone hit by terrorists "NPT"
    Ruthenius
    Ruthenius

Post  Ruthenius Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:04 pm

Guardian has cooked up a moderately decent article

'We like partisan warfare.' Chechens fighting in Ukraine – on both sides

On one side, fighters eager to exact revenge for Russia’s plunder of their country fight for Kiev. On the other, forces loyal to Kadyrov’s Kremlin-backed regime support the pro-Russian rebels

theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/24/chechens-fighting-in-ukraine-on-both-sides
    Ghoster
    Ghoster

Post  Ghoster Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:33 pm

http://nahnews.org/293684-donchane-fashistov-nado-gnat-do-samogo-kieva/

Donetsk, on 24 July.

Most people in the capital of Donetsk People's Republic does not support the government's decision to challenge the DNI heavy weapons from their positions at three kilometers.

The weekend guide DNI and LC has decided to challenge weapons caliber of less than 100 mm and armored vehicles to three kilometers from the line of contact, except for those areas where there may be a breakthrough Ukrainian security officials. Today the withdrawal of militias technology is fully completed, but Kiev is not even thinking perform Minsk agreement and follow the example of the Republic, on the contrary, with each passing day increases the shelling areas LC and DNR.

Residents of Donetsk told about his attitude to the allotment of militias heavy weapons and shared views on what they think about the war in general. It turned out that the majority of the citizens of Donetsk are categorically against this decision of the authorities and believe that Kiev will not stop at nothing and will continue the war.

"I have a negative attitude to the fact that we have taken arms. Kiev authorities had on their own will not stop the war, so do not expect that they'll take their technique. The authorities in Kiev alone the Nazis and fascists must be destroyed. You have to go on the offensive, not peacefully resolve the conflict, "- said Tatiana Donchanka.

"I do not believe that the Ukrainians will be allocated their weapons. As long as the power team Poroshenko, this is unrealistic. In vain we have removed their equipment, "- says a resident of Donetsk Michael.

In addition, almost all the Donetsk residents believe that there is no way back, because nobody wants to live in one country with the killers of children, women and the elderly. A peaceful resolution of the conflict has generally none of the residents of Donetsk no hope.

"Ukrainians do not believe we are. They did not stop shelling and equipment would be taken voluntarily. We have repeatedly made the first steps towards a ceasefire, but Ukraine does not respond. We expect that the militias still liberate Donbass and it will be our all, "- said Sergey from Donetsk.

"We are being killed, people suffer! We allot a technique! What kind of war is this toy! We need to drive up to the Kiev ", - he added the local pensioner.

As the company commander of the brigade "Vostok" with the call "unclean" after removal of militia weapons three kilometers from the line of contact between Ukrainian law enforcers have felt as though the power and started firing at the Donbass even more intensively than before. He noted that the Ukrainians have changed tactics: it seems that they are "basic training" or exams.
    Ghoster
    Ghoster

Post  Ghoster Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:50 pm

Cry from the heart: A woman sobbing, pleading militias not to withdraw equipment

whir

Post  whir Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:13 pm

The Guardian wrote:Gay couple kicked and pepper sprayed by far-right mob in Kiev
    Alec Luhn in Moscow Thursday 23 July 2015 18.45 BST

Zoryan Kis and Tymur Levchuk were attacked by group of 15-20 young men after deciding to test people’s reactions to them holding hands

A gay couple in Kiev have replicated a viral video filmed earlier this month in Moscow to test how Ukrainians would react to two men holding hands.

In the original video, which was inspired by the supreme court’s decision in late June to legalise gay marriage in the US, two men from the prank-loving YouTube channel ChebuRussia TV walked around downtown Moscow holding hands.

Zoryan Kis and Tymur Levchuk adopted the same format in their video for Bird in Flight magazine, but had a generally more positive experience in the Ukrainian capital. Most passersby simply went about their business, although some stopped and stared. One group of giggling girls joked they should kiss each other and took a photo of the pair on a smartphone. Continue reading.
    par far

Post  par far Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:14 pm

Ghoster wrote:Cry from the heart: A woman sobbing, pleading militias not to withdraw equipment

This is what sorrys me, what if people lose support for the NAF? They have to defend people like thse.
    auslander
    auslander

Post  auslander Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:34 pm

par far wrote:
    Ghoster wrote:Cry from the heart: A woman sobbing, pleading militias not to withdraw equipment

This is what sorrys me, what if people lose support for the NAF? They have to defend people like thse.

This is going to be a long war. Things will happen and actions be taken that many of us do not understand. This war is not only on the field of battle but also an economic and diplomatic war and victory must be achieved in all three venues or the victory will be hollow and will not last long. What started out as a ragtag resistance to the coup d'etat in Kiev by a possibly eccentric Polkovnik with less than 30 men and a quite few other groups has grown in to a very capable army that has the unbroken support of the citizenry and said army has not only fought a far superior and brutal force to a dead halt but twice administered epic defeats to the superior forces. The fact that the fruits of victory were not allowed to be harvested is not the fault of the army, the citizens or the leadership in Novorossiya.
    Karl Haushofer

Post  Karl Haushofer Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:45 pm

par far wrote:

I have yet to realize what they want to achieve with this withdrawal. We all know the negatives sides but there must be at least something positives because otherwise they would not withdraw. So what are the positives???
    Ispan
    Ispan

Post  Ispan Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:12 pm

auslander wrote:

This is going to be a long war.

I concur, war will likely not end in the battlefields, but with the collapse of the Ukranian home front. We have not yet reached a point of collapse like Russia in 1917 or Germany in 1918.

Auslander, I cannot write PM yet, so I don't know how to contact you (perhaps you can drop me a note at my blog?) , so I will write you an open letter:

Auslander, highest respect to you. I now I am certain you are the guy whose testimony appeared in the Saker blog, and I can guess at why you are not contributing there anymore. The owner of the blog is not much of a military analyst and he got angry that I corrected him because he completely misunderstood what I wrote, so that put an end to any hopes of collaboration with him

You know, because the author writes in English, I had confused you with some other contributor, a militiaman that goes by the name of Juan. Only later realized you were an entirely different person.

I know from some other forum of some other American former military that has married a Crimean woman , but he lives in Simferopol and I lost touch with him and anyway, would never have the chance to meet with him. I am going with the wife to Crimea tomorrow to see her family and we will be staying for 3 weeks. From what you wrote I know you live somewhere in the coast. I cannot send you a PM message, so I am asking you if you wish to meet if we are not far away and you have the time. It's not just that I would like to talk to you, but also I think I might help someway, as I recall, you were involved in aiding the refugees. I would like to use my capital in other forum to make a fundraiser drive for the people of Novorussia. Even is only a little sum, everything counts. People react better to these iniatives and donate when they know who is delivering the goods and know the money is going to aid the people. I know it would be better to just contact Borish Rozhin and the Cassad Center, but unfortunately I do not know Russian and Sevastopol is far away. I also guess he is very busy with better things to do to give interviews or bother meeting some fanboy.

I do not want to be intrusive. And I completely understand your motives for privacy. And like I said, I can't really think of why you would want to meet a fanboy from a forum. Just I want to help in some other capacity than being a keyboard warrior, and I think your story is wonderful and inspiring against the tragedy of war.

Last edited by Ispan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:45 pm

Ukraine to Face Disastrous Increase in Food Prices - Experts

In Autumn, the ongoing devaluation of the Ukrainian national currency will trigger a serious food shortage, analysts warned.............

http://sputniknews.com/europe/20150724/1025015859.html
    Ispan
    Ispan

Post  Ispan Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:19 pm

I hope this is an interesting contribution.

FortRuss translated an interesting interview with a Ukranian woman politician

Like many Ukranians she is still in denial, but is smart enough to realize her side is awful and doing awful things. Tries to say both sides are equally bad, wich I disagre with. Equidistance is a easy way out. Like other Ukranians she has yet to admit responsibility for the disaster they have created.

The interview is very long and interesting but is mostly politics, society and economy stuff. She says things I don't agree with it, otheres were she is plain wrong and are wishful thinking, and some silly ideas about nationhood and war typical of a woman.

I am only quoting the relevant excerpts about military themes, the situation of the Ukraine home front and morale of Ukranian troops:

=About the change of heart in Ukrainian society:

The attitude in society is changing, even the most brainwashed now understand that there is something wrong with this war. Fewer and fewer people are willing to go volunteer - to die and get eaten by dogs in some encirclement. Fewer and fewer people donate money and food to private organizations supplying the Army. And of course, things like the Military Prosecutor General talking live on air above the police battalions raping and killing people in the warzone does not encourage people to go join <the good fight>. Basically, people that didn't understand it with their brains finally started understanding it through their empty wallets and empty fridges.

Scraping the bottom of the manpower pool

= About future plans of the oligarchs and direction of the country:

I have no idea what the oligarchs think. I don't think they think far - the are just stealing what they can, while they can.

And the people are being conscripted, sixth wave of it already - people being caught literally on the city buses, students are caught in universities... People are running away - I was asked what is the journalist Kotsaba is in jail for - he's there for protesting illegal forced conscription, because he was protesting against the government grabbing all those people, stealing the food they are supposed to get, stealing the ammo and weapons they are supposed to have and selling them to the DPR and LPR... And the people obviously have realized all this by now, and have no desire to die in some encirclement to fill the oligarch's wallets.
    So obviously conscription isn’t going very well - people understood that they are being basically used as cattle for slaughter.

Comment:

This is a continuing mystery. The junta orders mass levies, to the point according to Novorussia intel reports based on captured documents, they are entertaining the possibility of conscripting even 16 year olds.

Yet the intensity of the fighting and the casualties, though high, do not seem to justify such mass conscription. It also doesn't seem the Ukranian army is growing though theoretically they should be able to field an army of hundreds of thousands of troops, and not around 100,000, of wich only 50 thousand are frontline troops in the Donbass.

The Ukranian forces have suffered about 20,000 dead. And perhaps another 20,000 non recoverable casualties, missing, prisoners of war, deserters and crippled. Add another 10,000 veterans that have been discharged after one year of service or others that found a way out. The original force deployed has thus likely suffered 100% casualties, but in theory the Kiev junta could rebuild it with ease and even double or treble it.

It does not make sense to me, comparing with the Spanish Civil War, the Reds didn't start recruiting teenagers and family fathers until the last year of the war, and at war's end, they still fielded almost a million men, with a population (one half of Spain, and constantly shrinking territory) much smaller than Ukraine, even discounting the loss of Donbass and Crimea.

So where are the troops? One possibility too horrible to contemplate is that the casualties are enormous and equalling world war levels. Spanish Civil War attrition rates would be bad enough, but even with those Ukranian could maintain a much larger army. But nothing in the fighting during quiet periods suggests much more than a modest hundred killed and wounded a day, or 3,000 monthly, and even so, many wounded eventually return to the ranks.

I think the key difference is one of demographics. The Spain of the 1930s was an agrarian, developing nation with a young population pyramid, while Ukraine is an aging population with an inverted pyramid. Birth rates plummeted in the 90s due to the Soviet collapse, and a lot of the young men have emigrated. So Ukraine has a potential recruitment base much smaller than its population size would suggest. This would be easy to check finding the relevant population stats and graphs.

Still, the Novorussians have a smaller population, more aged as there are more young people in West Ukraine, and voluntary enlistment and yet they have managed to field an army almost equivalent in size to their enemies, and can't absorb all recruits because they haven't enough weapons for everybody.

So why has not the Ukraine crushed the rebellion by sheer weight of numbers?

CONCLUSIONS:

1. Ukraine actual manpower resources are much smaller than her population indicates.

2. Conscription only taps a fraction of the available manpower due to mass draft dodging, either by refusing to show up, fleeing to Russia or Europe, or bribes.

3. Ukranian casualties are perhaps even higher than we imagine, as troops are used as expendable cannon fodder.

Last edited by Ispan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:50 am