Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Agriculture News

PhSt
    PhSt

Russian Agriculture News - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Agriculture News

Post  PhSt on Thu May 14, 2020 2:31 am

while browsing for some economic news, I stumbled upon this one:

CHINA BUILDS 100,000-COW DAIRY FARM

CHINA is building the biggest dairy farm in the world with 100,000 cows to supply Russia.

The enormous farm at Mudanjiang City in north-east China will have 60,000 more cows than the current biggest dairy farm, also in China.

Russia wants the milk as it is boycotting EU countries’ dairy exports after Brussels imposed economic sanctions over the Ukraine crisis.

The farm is 50 times bigger than the biggest dairy farm in the UK – which has around 2000 cows – and three times bigger than the largest in the US, with 30,000 cows.

China’s Zhongding Dairy Farming and Russia’s Severny companies are behind the $241 million megadairy project.

Feed for the housed cows will be grown on 100,000ha, most of it in Russia.

Earlier this year, the EU extended economic sanctions because of Russia’s involvement in the Ukraine conflict.

In response, Russia prolonged its ban on foods from the EU, US, Australia, Norway and Canada, including milk products, until August next year.

Before the Russian ban, the EU exported about 300,000 tonnes of cheese – about 25 per cent of its production – to Russia annually.

Mansel Raymond, chairman of Copa-Cogeca, the umbrella organisation for European farmers, said the ban and the Chino-Russian dairy venture sent a worrying signal to Europe’s dairy farmers.

https://edairynews.com/en/china-builds-100000-cow-dairy-farm-43753/

Anyways, what made me wonder is why Russia agreed to pursue this kind of project, (buying dairy products from a farm in China) when they are in the process of import substitution, I think it would have been a better idea to invest in building a dairy farm inside Russia if the intended market for its products is Russian consumers. Is Russia's climate really that harsh for growing cows?
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian on Thu May 14, 2020 4:01 am

PhSt wrote:while browsing for some economic news, I stumbled upon this one:

CHINA BUILDS 100,000-COW DAIRY FARM

CHINA is building the biggest dairy farm in the world with 100,000 cows to supply Russia.

The enormous farm at Mudanjiang City in north-east China will have 60,000 more cows than the current biggest dairy farm, also in China.

Russia wants the milk as it is boycotting EU countries’ dairy exports after Brussels imposed economic sanctions over the Ukraine crisis.

The farm is 50 times bigger than the biggest dairy farm in the UK – which has around 2000 cows – and three times bigger than the largest in the US, with 30,000 cows.

China’s Zhongding Dairy Farming and Russia’s Severny companies are behind the $241 million megadairy project.

Feed for the housed cows will be grown on 100,000ha, most of it in Russia.

Earlier this year, the EU extended economic sanctions because of Russia’s involvement in the Ukraine conflict.

In response, Russia prolonged its ban on foods from the EU, US, Australia, Norway and Canada, including milk products, until August next year.

Before the Russian ban, the EU exported about 300,000 tonnes of cheese – about 25 per cent of its production – to Russia annually.

Mansel Raymond, chairman of Copa-Cogeca, the umbrella organisation for European farmers, said the ban and the Chino-Russian dairy venture sent a worrying signal to Europe’s dairy farmers.

https://edairynews.com/en/china-builds-100000-cow-dairy-farm-43753/

Anyways, what made me wonder is why Russia agreed to pursue this kind of project, (buying dairy products from a farm in China) when they are in the process of import substitution, I think it would have been a better idea to invest in building a dairy farm inside Russia if the intended market for its products is Russian consumers. Is Russia's climate really that harsh for growing cows?

First of all, nobody grows cows tongue

Jokes aside, Russia is very much doing import substitution and achieved great success in the agriculture sector.
    However, they are not there yet when it comes to beef and dairy. Russia still imports lots of milk and milk products as of today.
    New dairy farms are coming up across the country almost on a daily basis, it is just a matter of time.

One of the reason why Russia achieved it's self sufficiency goals with porc and poultry quickly Is because these animals are very prolific while cattle is not.
    It will take some time.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Thu May 14, 2020 11:54 am

This is not a short term project, it takes a lot of milk to amortise that kind of investment. Also Russia needs to buy stuff off China as well as sell stuff to them.

This is about Russia and China against the World and a big message to the Aussies as well as the EU.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Thu May 21, 2020 8:54 am

5 crab fishing vessels laid down in Krasnoye Sormovo shipyard in Nizhny Novgorod

https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/132604/

Russian Agriculture News - Page 11 C2RlbGFub3VuYXMucnUvdXBsb2Fkcy81LzAvNTA1MTU4OTk5MTEyOV9vcmlnLmpwZWc_X19pZD0xMzI2MDQ=

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:53 am

8 crab fishing vessels laid down in Nahodka

https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/133085/

Russian Agriculture News - Page 11 B25lZ29zaGlweWFyZC5ydS9hc3NldHMvcGFnZS1maWxlcy82LzU3Ni80Mi4tS3JhYl9DQ2E1NTE0X21vZGVsMi5qcGc_X19pZD0xMzMwODU=
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Did Russians decide to start exclusively eating crabs? Suspect

Crab fishing vessel has been laid down in Petrozavodsk

https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/133203/
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible on Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:11 am

When was last time you had crab?

Let me tell you, I would take crab 100% over lobster. Lobster is tasteless to me while crab is sweet. Add garlic butter and it's amazing. If it was more available here and cheaper, I would eat it every day.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:30 am

miketheterrible wrote:When was last time you had crab?

Let me tell you, I would take crab 100% over lobster...

Crab never. Lobster neither. This is Serbia, only way to get arthropods here is to go to a very fancy restaurant or run into a bag of frozen sea food at the supermarket which might be arthropods but nobody can tell for sure.

I had shrimp once ages ago.

I just find is strange how Russia has had crab fishing vessel building boom over last couple of weeks...

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible on Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:05 am

Demand is high. It's a delicacy nearly everywhere outside of Muslim and African regions. Hell, when crab fest was going on here, I had the All you can eat. I think I may have brought an extinction of at least one kind of crab.

Plus, blue crabs blood are used for medical use. So catching them is a huge payoff.

But crab to eat is so damn good.

I know Serbia is landlocked so it must be expensive as shit
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:45 pm

Not really a fan of sea food, but I believe in response to the US rolling back agreements and imposing sanctions that up until recently Russia has been respecting a sea border between Russia and America... and now they are not.

There is an American TV show about crab fishing off alaska... I found it to be exceedingly boring so I haven't watched it but recently there have been adverts talking about serious competition from Russia... the boogeyman of American TV and movies... so I suspect they have extended their fishing areas beyond what they used to fish... sea food sells well and is seriously in demand in Russia and Asia... even in New Zealand paua and pippies and scalops and oysters and other shell fish and crab and lobster are popular...
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:05 am

First shrimp incubator in Europe has been opened in Crimea

https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/133921/

Russian Agriculture News - Page 11 CmsuZ292LnJ1L3VwbG9hZHMvbXNoL2F0dGFjaG1lbnRzLzJjL2ZkLzQ1LzYwNTM5Zjg4N2E1ZTQyMDQxMmIzNzBiMzYxLzVmMDRhZDk5OGE3NWM0LjEyMzM2MTg4X1doYXRzQXBwX0ltYWdlXzIwMjAtMDctMDdfYXRfMTAuMjUuNTcuanBlZz8zLjEuMg==

Under Soviets/Ukrainians it was rice... in dry climate!!!

Now they do seafood with sweet profit margins (unlike rice)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:18 am