Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

3 posters

Slovenia Thread

mutantsushi

Slovenia  Thread Empty Slovenia Thread

Post  mutantsushi Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:51 am

Starting an open-ended thread,
    but I wondered if anybody knows any more about the situation with Slovenian DefMin Veber and Slovene Telecom privatisation?

Here and here are general run-downs of the situation that I can find in English, and here is Veber's own Twitter feed (in Slovene).

As far as I can tell, it's crazy to consider this a scandal much less fire him over it, all he's accussed of is ordering a report written... Not into privatisation itself, but potential consequences on military (his remit), with him specifically calling out that the Telecom company owns all infrastructure the military relies on, including connections to secret facilities.  He actually spoke of things like separating infrastructure from operator, or potential changes to law, which might be "remediary" measures which don't "rule out" a privatisation... And strangely, one of the MPs who seems most strongly pushing for his removal, had in fact asked him about the topic (telcom privatisation and how it impacts defense) in the Parliamentary Defense committee... The report would seemingly be in answer to the MP's own questions, in fact (although it may have been ordered before said questions, that the question was asked would seem to prove it's relevance).  Justification for firing him seems to be implying that he somehow acted illegally, although that seems dubious assessment as he doesn't seem to have actually even looked at privatisation process itself rather just the defense implications (with DefMin being customer of Telcom), and in fact Veber is highlighting that the accusations against him seem to soft-pedal actually accusing him of breaking the law, only giving the impression that they are doing so.

FYI, the bidders are supposed to include Deutsche Telcom and a bunch of "buyout firms" including Bain Capital and Cinven.  Politically, it seems a concern for all the telcom traffic to be foreign owned, especially when military also relies on it, certainly enough to write a report on the subject and identify possible remedial measures.  (Veber also cites Croatian example, where apparently they are re-constituting state telcom network after finding themselves completely reliant on foreign owned operator, post privatisation).  

Anyways, what's the opinion of the actual matter here?  Foreign ownership of Slovene telcom that Slovene DefMin depends on?
    What about broader political issues?  The government shouldn't fall over this as Veber's party (Social Dems) isn't big enough for them to lose majority,
    but could further events be likely which would trigger an election?  How does Veber's party fit into NATO politicking re: Russia et al?
    The MP who pushed for his dismissal the most, Matej Tonin, is of small 4% support PSi "pro EU right conservative" party,
    while the PM Cerar's own party of EuroLiberal allegiance went from nothing (w/ no political background for him) to winning election in 6 weeks.

EDITED FOR STUPIDITY

Last edited by mutantsushi on Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:25 am; edited 2 times in total
    medo
    medo

Slovenia  Thread Empty Re: Slovenia Thread

Post  medo Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:30 pm

First, I would like to say, don't mix Slovenia with Slovakia. In Slovenia, we are Slovenians, not Slovaks and our language is Slovenian, not Slovak. Slovenia was ex-Yugoslavian republic, Slovakia comes from Czechoslovakia.

What could we say about Slovenian Telecom privatization? Greed and corruption. Destroying Slovenian economy and steeling public property is national sport for our politicians from all parties. No one think about consequences of that in the next day. Although I don't like Veber, he is correct, that giving whole telecommunication installations to foreigners for pennies, which will at the end go in private pockets is a treason, because foreigners will than know everything about us and could in case of conflict block whole state structure. Today Germans are friends, but tomorrow they could be enemies. This is complete idiocity, what is happening here.
    mutantsushi

Post  mutantsushi Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:25 am

Um, thank you for clearing up my stupidity, don't know how I got mixed up so badly, but I fixed the first post just to not mess anybody else up...

Well, given the utter reasonableness of Weber's actions here, even if one is pro-privatisation in general,
    it seems the real explanation for events are either A) MERE greed and corruption, or B) greed and corruption PLUS actual conspiracy against Slovene sovereignty.
    And really, even without B) as CURRENT reality, a reckless privatisation could easily open the door to B) in the future.
    Apparently his party seems to be clamoring to be able to name a replacement, i.e. abandoning him and the issue in order to maintain part in coalition which clearly doesn't need them... Or did I miss something?
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:43 am

mutantsushi wrote:Um, thank you for clearing up my stupidity, don't know how I got mixed up so badly, but I fixed the first post just to not mess anybody else up...

Well, given the utter reasonableness of Weber's actions here, even if one is pro-privatisation in general,
    it seems the real explanation for events are either A) MERE greed and corruption, or B) greed and corruption PLUS actual conspiracy against Slovene sovereignty.
    And really, even without B) as CURRENT reality, a reckless privatisation could easily open the door to B) in the future.
    Apparently his party seems to be clamoring to be able to name a replacement, i.e. abandoning him and the issue in order to maintain part in coalition which clearly doesn't need them... Or did I miss something?

You explain this good. It is reckless privatization to fill their pockets, but to say conspiracy against sovereignty is somehow difficult, because non of our politicians ever think about consequences of their dids. They don't care for that. They are still servants deep in their mind and need a master to pay and direct them. Slovenians were never masters on their own and that is why our politicians never had a feeling for national interests. Only for their private ones.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:47 am

Medvedev arrives in Slovenia for two-day visit

The agenda of his two-day visit includes the issues of bilateral cooperation in trade, economy, science and technology, as well as cultural and humanitarian areas

LJUBLJANA /Slovenia /, July 26. /TASS/. Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has arrived in the capital of Slovenia Ljubljana.

The agenda of his two-day visit includes the issues of bilateral cooperation in trade, economy, science and technology, as well as cultural and humanitarian areas.

According to the press service of the Russian government, "a number of Russian-Slovenian documents are expected to be signed during the visit."

On Sunday the Russian premier will take part in the commemorative ceremony outside the Russian Chapel at the scene of death of Russian prisoners of war during World War I.

On Monday, Medvedev is due to meet with the country’s President Borut Pahor and President of the National Assembly Milan Brglez. He will also hold talks with Slovenian Premier Miroslav Cerar.

Post  Guest Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:59 am

"Valhalla is a mechanical engineering group headquartered in Ljubljana, Slovenia showcase new ODIN KM 570 remote controlled weapon station.
    The ODIN KM 570 system offers superior firepower and improved survivability to armoured vehicles. The turrets can mount a range of Bofors 57 mm L70 automatic cannon with a Machine gun 5.56 mm or 7.62 mm and  in a ballistically enclosed, power-operated turret.

The Valhalla is a family of superior remote control weapon stations: operated in stand-alone mode or as part of bigger weapon system, enabling huge amounts of ammunition within weapon station (up to 3-times more than anything else available),
    delivering overwhelming fire power."

DIMENSIONS :

Lenght: 3050 mm
    Width: 2630 mm
    Height: 1000 (1480) mm
    ELEVATION :

Main weapon: +60° / -10°
    Co-directional: +80° / -10°
    Stand-alone WS: +62° / -25°

TRAVERSE :

Main weapon & Stand-alone WS: 360°

Slovenia  Thread KMWPuma

Slovenia  Thread Remotecontrolweaponstation57mm

Source: http://defence-blog.com/army/valhalla-showcase-new-odin-km-570-remote-controlled-weapon-station.html
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:31 am

Portable anti-aircraft missile systems "Igla" in the army of Slovenia

Slovenia in the 1990s and 2000s received from Russia several small batches of portable 9K310 Igla-1 and 9K38 Igla ammunition to pay off Soviet debts to the former Yugoslavia.

Servicemen of the Slovenian army during the study of the material part - MANPADS Igla; September of 2017

Slovenia  Thread 4756751_original

Slovenia  Thread 3609999_800

Slovenia  Thread 3610245_800

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/2885576.html

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:47 am