Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+29
Sujoy
LMFS
higurashihougi
Isos
eehnie
miketheterrible
Airman
franco
TheArmenian
Russian Patriot
kvs
milforum.net
SturmGuard
sepheronx
DTA
OminousSpudd
Mike E
PapaDragon
Admin
magnumcromagnon
JohninMK
Airbornewolf
George1
jhelb
Khepesh
Morpheus Eberhardt
Werewolf
max steel
GarryB
33 posters

Forum Non Technical issues

GarryB
    GarryB

Forum Non Technical issues - Page 7 Empty Re: Forum Non Technical issues

Post  GarryB Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:03 am

Rule: 16

16] Posting a link in any thread with no description and the post is likely to be deleted without warning by mods. If you wish to post material that some might find objectionable, or it is a twitter feed or something you can't quote or post into a thread the put a description and if it is potentially objectionable then a warning so that people who don't want to see that sort of thing wont mistakenly click on the link. Even with news threads a description is needed.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:51 am

TzavoLeon keeps breaking this Rule 16 and always gets away scot-free​

miketheterrible likes this post

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:53 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    TzavoLeon keeps breaking this Rule 16 and always gets away scot-free​

This retard keeps posting stupidity and acts like a moron when called out on it.

Ban this loser.  He is no better than Vann and Ultimate warrior.

Since you guys do nothing against him, I will continue to insult him in the most vulgar way cause clearly rules mean shit.

PapaDragon likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:06 am

Bans are at the discretion of the mods, and I would remind Mike that abusing other members is a rule he has had a temporary ban in the past for breaking.

Some rules are important and some are less important.

If you don't agree then you wont mind if I check your posting history and if your first post was no an introduction I guess I should ban you... right?

A link without a description is against the rules, but is hardly worth banning anyone over... if there is no information and just a link I normally just ignore the link and don't click on it... so from the person who posted it they are wasting their time.

Occasionally I might delete the link out of hand, and when I get members asking me where their post is I can explain the rule they have clearly just forgotten in their haste to post the link.

In all honesty I have posted Combat Approved videos without descriptions too.

It is not the end of the world on its own.

However when I get complaints like now, then I will start watching out for "offenders" and delete some posts or have words to the authors and remind them not to be so lazy in future.

It is not a high crime.

Abusing other members on the other hand often breaks more than one rule... using bad language and abusing a member... and that sort of stuff spirals out of control and arguments replace discussion and the whole site descends into something that is not a discussion forum.

So please understand when I say to you Mike that while I might have otherwise let posting links only go most of the time, now that I have your complaints and PDs complaints too I will now be looking out for it and all offenders and having a word.

I can assure you it is not a banning offense on its own, though after being asked by a mod to stop doing something and continuing to do it... then it does become an offense that requires timeouts or something more drastic.

I can also assure you that abusing other members can't be tolerated at all... so please don't test me.

BTW if someone is breaking rules and it bothers you... this is to everyone, then simply send me a PM with a link to the behaviour that you think breaks the rules and what you think is the problem and I will talk to the members concerned and sort it out.

Note I will not swing the ban stick for fun or out of anger or because you think someone is annoying.

It is as much protecting you as anyone else because for all you know I might find you annoying.... you know who you are.... Smile
    ...just kidding...

I appreciate a different point of view even if I don't agree with it and I have no expectations of convincing you with logic or bullying you into changing your mind.

If I banned members for being annoying there is a long list of members who would be gone and this forum would not be the better for it.

I disagree with PD on aircraft carriers, but we seem to rather agree when it comes to Vann and vaccinations... and no I am not going to ban either for their views or positions and I don't expect to wear them down and get them to change their views to suit my view... that is not how the world works.

So members reading this... be careful in future when posting links to include a description of what is going to come up when I click on that link.

When you post a link there is an option to display the link by just putting in the link, or to put the link in and put a description so the description becomes the link.

You can create a description when making the link or put a separate text description of the link if you prefer but you must do one or the other.

Hopefully that is all pretty clear, if it is not then PM me.
    GarryB
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:18 am

Note the reason I prefer to do all this sort of stuff via PM is first of all to prevent potential offenders or abusers from deleting evidence.

It is also rather unpleasant having to deal with a bullying situation where the victim is exposed to further bullying and potential harassment by other members.

This is your forum and you have a right to come here and speak your mind without being bullied or ridiculed or abused.

Having said that if you start claiming some strange things then those things you claim are open to attack and are totally fair game.

Sometimes, if the issue is a little widespread and drawing attention to it might be a good thing like not posting information with links, or perhaps a common one of just pushing the quote button and creating a great big long discussion that gets repeated with every post because you are too lazy to delete all the other comments from the quote you are replying to, then discussing it in a thread makes sense and can be useful.

Most of the time I would prefer to deal with problem behaviour without having to defend the members who objected.

To be clear normal policy is if someone is breaking the rules and you choose to abuse them for it instead of notifying a mod then you are breaking the rules just as much as they are.

Regards
    GarryB
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:05 pm

Chinese troll came back under the name AlexDineley.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:29 am

Thank you for the heads up, I will look in to it...

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:23 pm

Man, so many new members, and so much stupidity they keep spewing. It's getting rather pathetic.

miketheterrible and Backman like this post

Finty dislikes this post

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:20 pm

miketheterrible wrote:Man, so many new members, and so much stupidity they keep spewing.  It's getting rather pathetic.

I feel like the fake Russian and the new guy are the same person.

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:08 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote:Man, so many new members, and so much stupidity they keep spewing.  It's getting rather pathetic.

I feel like the fake Russian and the new guy are the same person.

Which one? Flinty or the GBU? Both are equally bad.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:32 pm

We have several morons led by Vann7 (obviously) ranting about human sacrifices in Covid tread

https://www.russiadefence.net/t8495-coronavirus-pandemic-2019-20-3#322323

Honestly that whole tread might as well be merged with Talking Bollocks at this point...
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:19 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    We have several morons led by Vann7 (obviously) ranting about human sacrifices in Covid tread

Honestly that whole tread might as well be merged with Talking Bollocks at this point...  

Seeing how Garry doesn't have it in him to outright ban them, maybe it's time to have sections for longstanding members with a minimum 2000 posts and 2 year old accounts for the most important sections, and the newbie weenie plebs posts elsewhere.

There should also be a rule against newbie weenie plebs consistently engaging in 'strawman' peddling, meaning forming useless vapid/vacuous arguments without substance or evidence. A recent example of this is one of the new weenie plebs in a absolute turd pile of a post claimed the PAK-DP/MiG-41 wouldn't even make it outside the design stage, when there's already video and photos of experimental samples of pulse detonation engines (a likely engine candidate for the MiG-41) and the scientific and the engineering literature posted prior which he conveniently couldn't attempt to refute. Wink

These new weenie plebs need at least a 1 year probationary period where they have at least to pretend to be on their best behavior, their worthless posts are eating up too much of the bandwidth.

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:01 am

This whole place has 1 admin and 1 moderator

No wonder it's a shitshow

gbu48098

Post  gbu48098 Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:23 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

Seeing how Garry doesn't have it in him to outright ban them, maybe it's time to have sections for longstanding members with a minimum 2000 posts and 2 year old accounts for the most important sections, and the newbie weenie plebs posts elsewhere.

There should also be a rule against newbie weenie plebs consistently engaging in 'strawman' peddling, meaning forming useless vapid/vacuous arguments without substance or evidence. A recent example of this is one of the new weenie plebs in a absolute turd pile of a post claimed the PAK-DP/MiG-41 wouldn't even make it outside the design stage, when there's already video and photos of experimental samples of pulse detonation engines (a likely engine candidate for the MiG-41) and the scientific and the engineering literature posted prior which he conveniently couldn't attempt to refute. Wink

These new weenie plebs need at least a 1 year probationary period where they have at least to pretend to be on their best behavior, their worthless posts are eating up too much of the bandwidth.

Ya keep calling people names who don't toe your line....even izd 30 is not out and there are videos on youtube for almost 10 years now on that and insult people that question things that have odds of not making out. Keep complaining...
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:25 am

Garry is a liberal in the good old sense of the word and I like that very much, but some old and quite a few new people are clearing abusing of that liberalism and outright dragging down the quality of the board. No matter how much you are against it and how long you want to resist it, sooner or later weeding is needed by the completely arbitrary criteria of good posters stay, bad ones leave.
    gbu48098

Post  gbu48098 Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:42 am

LMFS wrote:Garry is a liberal in the good old sense of the word and I like that very much, but some old and quite a few new people are clearing abusing of that liberalism and outright dragging down the quality of the board. No matter how much you are against it and how long you want to resist it, sooner or later weeding is needed by the completely arbitrary criteria of good posters stay, bad ones leave.

All I am hearing is complaining. Unless someone is spamming, there is no need to sensor stuff. No one is forcing some of you to read those links nor forcing you to respond to comments. Rest all is finger pointing on off topic escalations and fanboism. I will respect Garry's decision whatever he chooses. Its his call to have fanbois only site. Not the end of life to get banned from forums. Suit yourself and keep complaining.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:16 am

gbu48098 wrote:
    LMFS wrote:Garry is a liberal in the good old sense of the word and I like that very much, but some old and quite a few new people are clearing abusing of that liberalism and outright dragging down the quality of the board. No matter how much you are against it and how long you want to resist it, sooner or later weeding is needed by the completely arbitrary criteria of good posters stay, bad ones leave.

All I am hearing is complaining. Unless someone is spamming, there is no need to sensor stuff. No one is forcing some of you to read those links nor forcing you to respond to comments. Rest all is finger pointing on off topic escalations and fanboism. I will respect Garry's decision whatever he chooses. Its his call to have fanbois only site. Not the end of life to get banned from forums. Suit yourself and keep complaining.

I miss your old handle bitcointrader70 cry, what will be your new handle next week? dunno

auslander and miketheterrible like this post

gbu48098

Post  gbu48098 Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:13 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    gbu48098 wrote:

I miss your old handle bitcointrader70 cry, what will be your new handle next week? dunno
    ??
    You are nuts and you are missing your brain....get it checked out before its too late. Thousands of posts and this is your level of intellect. No wonder some of you have those high school girl club mentality....some just don't feel like complete without a little posse....I hope the moderator checks you out on accusing people and calling names. It is never too late...fix yourself
    auslander
    auslander

Post  auslander Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:47 am

The 'Cosmic Ignore' button is your friend. The current gentleman in question, and at least one of his possible previous shadows, made it to 'ignore' in two days if not less.

LMFS likes this post

gbu48098

Post  gbu48098 Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:37 pm

auslander wrote:The 'Cosmic Ignore' button is your friend. The current gentleman in question, and at least one of his possible previous shadows, made it to 'ignore' in two days if not less.
    ya, I don't even waste a single nano second on you ignoring....but because I don't ignore I get to see your crap of what your dogs or cats are doing. Keep crying and complaining or engage fairly. No one gives a crap if any of you ignore and certainly not me....mod will tell me if I am breaking any rules. I don't attack folks by names to make it personal nor do I complain to mod but I do respond if I see one....so some of you ladies get it.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:54 pm

Man, so many new members, and so much stupidity they keep spewing. It's getting rather pathetic.

If you have ever been panning for gold you have to go through a lot of gravel before the gold starts to appear... and there is no guarantees there is gold in this stream...

Well to be fair I am not going to just ban because you suspect someone might be similar to another member who has previously been banned.

This isn't America, suspicion is not enough to convict.

If new members didn't bring up old shit we have talking about to death several times over before then it would not be the internet.

Yet you keep coming back day after day.

Thank you for the support... if I wasn't making so much money doing this I would give it up real quick...

Garry is a liberal in the good old sense of the word and I like that very much, but some old and quite a few new people are clearing abusing of that liberalism and outright dragging down the quality of the board. No matter how much you are against it and how long you want to resist it, sooner or later weeding is needed by the completely arbitrary criteria of good posters stay, bad ones leave.

The thing is that I don't make this personal... people who have been banned before I don't secretly hate and am looking for excuses to make it permanent.

And those thinking the newbies are the problems there are plenty of old hands that pop up with some negative statistic from this weeks US propaganda source they post and watch get chewed up and spat out.

Learning to not get angry that some people don't care about anyone else is an important skill, it doesn't bother me that Navalny is an evil self centred ass, and that the people who think he is wonderful don't seem to know much about him except he opposes Putin and that is enough.

To make weeding out effective I would have to block new members again, which is something perhaps to discuss first.

I miss your old handle bitcointrader70 cry, what will be your new handle next week?

I know you mean well, but would you mind letting me handle it?

So perhaps a civil discussion about whether the new member option is closed for a bit.

I have had a look at the system and there are a lot of users that have signed up but never posted a single post, so I am thinking of getting rid of some of those just to free up some system space.

Will send emails before I do so of course, but even the most hardcore lurker could take the time to post at least once...

Some conversation on these subjects that is not arguing would be appreciated.

BTW one solution to members with so many accounts would be an email ban on gmail.com and yahoo.com and hotmail.com accounts... would effect a lot of members though...

gbu48098 likes this post

gbu48098

Post  gbu48098 Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:18 pm

GarryB wrote:

BTW one solution to members with so many accounts would be an email ban on gmail.com and yahoo.com and hotmail.com accounts... would effect a lot of members though...

One option is to put a wait time to confirm email and activate like 30 days or 60 days rather than immediate.
    Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:57 pm

PapaDragon wrote:

I disagree that its a shitshow. This is a fairly diplomatic forum compared to other ones ive seen.

Its not easy running an English language Russia forum. English speaking ppl have been subjected to the most successful demonetization and propaganda scheme in history.

GarryB, miketheterrible and LMFS like this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:06 pm

Anyway, this might be the first website ive come across where the mobile version is better than the desktop version.

Is there any equivalent to the "Latest topics" button on the desktop version ? "View posts since your last visit" should be but its not reliable. The list that comes up doesn't always include all posts. The Notifications tab just keeps adding up and up and its not always reliable either. But on the mobile, Latest Topics covers them all.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:35 pm

You know Backman, I thought about it and I agree with you. We may shit on Garry's method of ruling this place but he is very much well mannered and thoughtful regarding free speech and is willing to stand his ground over it.

It is commendable and I have given him and George a hard time over the past while but I do appreciate their methods and I respect that

But I also agree with magnum in saying we should have a newbie section and non one.

LMFS and Backman like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 am