Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+28
nomadski
yavar
mack8
KiloGolf
airstrike
medo
magnumcromagnon
Morpheus Eberhardt
max steel
flamming_python
George1
nemrod
Hannibal Barca
dino00
ShahryarHedayatiSHBA
Werewolf
par far
TR1
Cyberspec
sepheronx
MTN1917
Viktor
Promised
ahmedfire
lulldapull
GarryB
Admin
nightcrawler
32 posters

Iran Military Advancements: News

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 Empty Re: Iran Military Advancements: News

Post  Guest Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:38 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:Shkval-E?

Yes. However, Iran "claims" that they make this torpedo. They call it "Hut".

Obviously Russia and China have been aiding their arms industry in development covertly.

To my knowledge they bought few Shkval Es for their Kilos and then reverse engineered it in mid 2000s, i dont think it was intentional aid by Russia.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 Empty Re: Iran Military Advancements: News

Post  Werewolf Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:20 pm

I doubt that russia would give out this kind of technology.

This technology can render higher numbers of vessels relatively unimportant.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:41 pm

Militarov wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:

Yes. However, Iran "claims" that they make this torpedo. They call it "Hut".

Obviously Russia and China have been aiding their arms industry in development covertly.

To my knowledge they bought few Shkval Es for their Kilos and then reverse engineered it in mid 2000s, i dont think it was intentional aid by Russia.

There's ways around sanctions, the cooperation between Iran and China is far more obvious, they have a long history in cooperation in the act of industrial espionage. Ironically enough Israel and China have the same exact alliance when it comes towards industrial espionage lol!

PLA hackers apparently hacked in to Raytheon servers/networks (which was widely reported in US media) and obtained the blueprints of the Pac-3, and it looks like they gave the designs to help Iran create the Sayyad-2:

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 139208181248379521499003

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 1812404

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 1812398

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 1812409

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 Sayyad05

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 Iran-Sayyad2-Hunter-Missile-Production-5-HR

Last edited by magnumcromagnon on Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:43 pm

Werewolf wrote:I doubt that russia would give out this kind of technology.

Rosoboronexport gives export technology all the time through 'Transfer of Technology' (TOT) agreements.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:46 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:I doubt that russia would give out this kind of technology.

Rosoboronexport gives export technology all the time through 'Transfer of Technology' (TOT) agreements.

I doubt it will be for such technologies. Outdated technologies that exist already or are of non tactical use or could be used as tactical weapons for bigger scale, besides SS without specific needed yield for their warheads.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:38 am

There were reports about it (in Iran) from a few years ago....obviously they were correct
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:47 pm

There are export versions of shkval called Shkval-E.
    http://science-savvy.blogspot.in/2006/04/russia-exports-shkval-torpedo-to-iran.html

Taming the Shkval
    ShahryarHedayatiSHBA

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 Empty Iran's electronic warfare achievements significant

Post  ShahryarHedayatiSHBA Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:13 am

Iran's electronic warfare achievements significant

Unveiling 16 electronic defense achievements in Shiraz Electronics Industries on Monday, Iran’s defense minister said Iran has achieved outstanding capability to confront enemy’s electronic warfare.
    Addressing the unveiling ceremony of 16 new achievements of Iran's Defense Industries in the Southern city of Shiraz on Monday, Brigadier General Hossein Dehghan emphasized Iran's defense capabilities; “With the efforts of experts in Shiraz Electronics Industries, the required equipment for various sectors of armed forces are being produced,” he said, aaserting that the most important achievement is the manufacture of different radars which can identify and track threats and defend the country.

“So far, mass production of different radar systems that can cover a range of objects in distances up to 500 kilometers has been accomplished in Shiraz Electronics Industries,” he noted.

General Dehghan deemed the indigenization of the navigation systems of warplanes as another achievement of Shiraz Electronics Industries; “we have made outstanding advancement in area of software production for confronting enemy’s electronic warfare,” he asserted.

“Jamming, COMINT (Communications Intelligence) and ELINT (Electronic signals intelligence) systems are capable of identifying enemy position in the battleground and Iran's armed forces will be able to take necessary actions towards enemies in a matter of seconds,” added General Dehghan.

Several important defense products were unveiled during the ceremony including a Radar system with the capability of tracking different semi-heavy and heavy weapons as well as taking action during electronic warfare, Ghamar 3-D search and control radar system with the capability of tracking more than 100 targets, including fighter jets and drones, up to a distance of 450 kilometers at different altitudes and transferring the relevant data to the air defense network as well as Absar video-imaging system which can be mounted on fighter jets and drones.

Dehghan also inaugurated the production line of air and airport navigation systems including MLAT (Multilateration), ELINT as well as COMINT systems.

Pic from the new "Ghamar"radar

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 Vlcsnap-2015-10-26-23h29m38s234
    Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 Vlcsnap-2015-10-26-23h29m51s593
    Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 Vlcsnap-2015-10-27-01h01m54s250
    Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 Vlcsnap-2015-10-26-23h29m26s453
    ShahryarHedayatiSHBA

Post  ShahryarHedayatiSHBA Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:41 am

Iran Closing Technology Gap With Israel, Military Intelligence Chief Warns

Haaretz Israeli News Source
    The Military Intelligence chief said Israel and Iran are engaged in a technology war in which the Islamic Republic is rapidly narrowing the quality gap.

Maj. Gen. Herzl Halevi, speaking at a closed lecture Thursday, added that if the anxiety generated by the videos of Palestinians stabbing Israelis on social media had existed in 1948, Israel would not have won the War of Independence.
    He also revealed that recently, MI abandoned an operation at the last minute because of a letter the corps received from a low-ranking officer in its 8200 signals intelligence unit.
    Halevi was speaking to a few dozen donors and faculty members of the College of Management at the Rothchild Bank in Tel Aviv. It was an uncharacteristic appearance for Halevi, who in the year since he succeeded Aviv Kochavi has maintained a low profile.
    The general did not give a detailed intelligence assessment but delivered remarks that had never been made in public by a top officer in the Israel Defense Forces.
    “If you ask me whether we’ll have a war with Iran over the next 10 years, I’ll give you a surprising answer: We are already at war with Iran,” Halevi said. “We’re having a technological war with Iran. Our engineers are fighting Iranian engineers, today, and it’s becoming increasingly significant.”

The war, he said, was over intelligence, weapons and military capabilities, and Halevi was pessimistic. “Today we have the advantage. Iran is closing in on it. Since the 1979 revolution, the number of universities and university students in Iran has increased twentyfold, compared with three and a half times for Israel,” Halevi said, adding that enrollment in science, technology, engineering and math in Iran was skyrocketing.
    Halevi touched on the current wave of terror attacks and the difference between the country’s past wars, conducted mainly in border areas, and today’s wars, in which the home front suffers many casualties.
    “The next war will be much worse for the home front,” Halevi said. “In the Yom Kippur War there was one home-front casualty; a FROG missile struck the pilots’ quarters of the Ramat David air base. It was the only casualty on the home front. All the rest were military.”
    He said a main issue in today’s wars was awareness. “It’s not about how many you killed and how many the other side killed, and it’s not about how far you got and where you planted your flag. It’s about the story that the war tells,” he said.
    “All of us, including me and each of you, have for the past month been brainwashing ourselves when we watch those stabbing videos over and over, creating a level of anxiety that, had everyone in the War of Independence been watching the videos of Latrun, San Simon or Nitzanim, it’s not sure we would have been able to keep going.”
    Halevi said it was much harder for MI to develop and retain intelligence sources today than a decade or two ago due to rapid technological change. “The same kilogram of intelligence costs much more than it did 10 years ago. Not only does it cost more, its expiration date is significantly sooner,” he said.
    “Twenty years ago you had an intelligence accomplishment and you were set for the next five to seven years. Today you might have worked really hard, risking people’s lives, carrying out all sorts of maneuvers. You got something, but with the speed at which our world operates and the speed at which technology changes,” the expiry time declines.
    To illustrate this point, the MI chief described efforts to collect intelligence about the Islamic State. He encouraged his audience to not be fooled by the dreadlocks and traditional robes of ISIS operatives. “They use the most cutting-edge technology,” he said. “It’s not carrier pigeons, it’s the most advanced communication systems, with the best encryption on top of that. It changes every couple of days.”
    He said MI’s organizational culture was such that even soldiers and junior officers could have great influence. “We faced a dilemma over whether to carry out a particular operation in a particular place. It was about to go up to the chief of staff for a decision, and we needed to decide whether to do it or not,” he said.
    “An officer enters my office and says, ‘Listen, I want you to read this, it’s a letter from a first lieutenant, a network intelligence officer at a Unit 8200 base.’ He’s a first lieutenant. He writes a letter to the Unit 8200 commander and to the head of MI: ‘Listen, I think you’re making a mistake,’” Halevi said.
    “It's just five minutes before decision time. I might not have read the letter if it arrived one minute later, before the talk with the chief of staff. That’s the ability of people to make an impact at the most critical second of decision-making.”
    Halevi defended the standing army against recent criticism about the size of the defense budget. “There’s a bit of an atmosphere in the country today — maybe you don’t think so — but the officers feel that’s it not so positive toward the army,” he said.
    “I think this is dangerous. I think it comes a bit from the place of the budget. Officers tell me strangers sometimes stop them on the street saying we’re the problem of the Israeli economy. I’d be cautious. It’s better that the best people are involved — in security in general and intelligence in particular.”
    Halevi said he even feared the elimination of mandatory military service in Israel. “The quiet depends on our being strong, and my fear is that we will end the model of a people’s army, and then the IDF won’t accept all of Israeli youth into its ranks and won’t take advantage of the best people,” he said.
    “If we change the model of the people’s army, then in the first two or three years inertia will keep us going, but after that the entire defense establishment will be damaged to the point of damage to the state’s security.”

Iran Closing Technology Gap With Israel, Military Intelligence Chief Warns - Israel News - Israel News - Haaretz Israeli News Source
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:25 am

An interesting Iranian Mi-8 AShM conversion

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 Empty An interesting Iranian Mi-8 AShM conversion

Post  Guest Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:35 am

max steel wrote: An interesting Iranian Mi-8 AShM conversion

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 Mi-14_20

Basically Mi14PL
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:00 am

Militarov wrote:
    max steel wrote: An interesting Iranian Mi-8 AShM conversion

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 Mi-14_20

Basically Mi14PL

Except that it can't float.
    MTN1917

Post  MTN1917 Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:17 pm

Today on the day of defense industry several new defense achievements have been shown, one of them is Iran's first turbojet engine, the new engine is called ''Owj'', it is based on J85 turbojet engine but it has some major upgeades and changes in compressors ,combustion chamber and even possibly more changes.

Owj engine will be used in Kowsar-88 training jet which will be unveiled in this Persian year.

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 1395053110330280784384810
    Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 1395053110333015184384910
    Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 1395053110360140184385210

Video showing the manufacturing of Owj engine

Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:23 pm

They have also shown Bavar-373 and it looks good.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:24 pm

MTN1917 wrote: Today on the day of defense industry several new defense achievements have been shown, one of them is Iran's first turbojet engine, the new engine is called ''Owj'', it is based on J85 turbojet engine but it has some major upgeades and changes in compressors ,combustion chamber and even possibly more changes.

Owj engine will be used in Kowsar-88 training jet which will be unveiled in this Persian year.

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 1395053110330280784384810
    Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 1395053110333015184384910
    Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 1395053110360140184385210

Video showing the manufacturing of Owj engine

This Owj engine have afterburner installed, so I doubt it will be used for training jet only. With major upgrades, most probably with help from Russia, I'm sure it have more trust than original J85 engines from their F-5E fighters. Their fully domestic Owj enjine will enable Iranian aviation industry to serially produce their own new built Saegheh fighters developed from F-5E/F (up to now they were modified existing F-5 fighters). With more powerfull engines, it will be no worse than JF-17 or Tejas, specially if Russia provide Kopyo multirole radar or even Osa-2 PESA radar developed for MiG-29UBT. Both radars could use R-77 missiles and have ground attack modes. With Pastel RWRs, it could use Kh-31P anti-radar missiles as well. Still good jet to support Iranian troops.
    nemrod
    nemrod

Post  nemrod Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:47 pm

medo wrote:
    This Owj engine have afterburner installed, so I doubt it will be used for training jet only. With major upgrades, most probably with help from Russia, I'm sure it have more trust than original J85 engines from their F-5E fighters. Their fully domestic Owj enjine will enable Iranian aviation industry to serially produce their own new built Saegheh fighters developed from F-5E/F (up to now they were modified existing F-5 fighters). With more powerfull engines, it will be no worse than JF-17 or Tejas,...

AFAIK they already produce their own Azarakhsh -around 400- and Saequeh -around 200- with their own jet engines. Better, since 1978, Iranian Air Force without US spare parts used to operate its F-14, F-4 Phantom, F-5, Mig-29 as they successfully refurbished them. Else they had to ground them.

In my view this OWJ is a simple technology demonstrator. It means despite a cruel blockade initiated by West, that Iran overcame for a long time its Jet-engines problems. I know they have a common project with Russia it called Shafag and could be restarted, as Russia is refusing now to comply to west sanctions.
    In my view this OWJ is simple show off, a message to the world explaining that Iran now could sell jets. Not as Russia, US, France, UK, Swede, China etc...but light jets too and mostly effective drones.

... if Russia provide Kopyo multirole radar or even Osa-2 PESA radar developed for MiG-29UBT. Both radars could use R-77 missiles and have ground attack modes. With Pastel RWRs, it could use Kh-31P anti-radar missiles as well. Still good jet to support Iranian troops.
    AFAIK iranians used to produce their own radars, and maybe they are on the verge to produce their indigenous miniaturized AESA radar. They produce their own air-air to missiles like Sidewinder, and Phoenix dubbed "Fakour". In my view Iran is seeking to produce-with cooperation- mostly a heavy superiority air fighter like SU-30 or J-11 to replace its F-14, and F-4 Phantom II. I don't know who among Russia or China will be the next provider.
    It is said that iranians are on verge to produce their own Saturn AL-31, and RD-33, but for wich aircraft ?
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:08 pm

Looks like UVZ has been busy in Iran:

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 14055094-1297998960244520-5448126335070319700-n

New Iranian Karrar tank appeared like a T-90cm
    lulldapull

Post  lulldapull Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:15 am

Two of these 'Owj' types with reheat can power a small Yak-130 clone like 'Shafagh' to Mach 1.5 and beyond easily.

The observation that the base for this Owj was the J-85 is possibly also correct.

Nothing wrong with taking a successful design like the J-85 and modifying it for modern use.

Bavar looks outstanding.............now my assumption is that it will have Buk/ SM-3/ Sayad like capability.

Iran needs to roll out this Shafagh to really join the club of combat aircraft producers.
    airstrike
    airstrike

Post  airstrike Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:46 pm

Iran to mass-produce newly introduced ballistic missile

http://echelon-defense.com/2016/09/28/iran-to-mass-produce-newly-introduced-ballistic-missile/
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:17 pm

nemrod wrote:AFAIK they already produce their own Azarakhsh -around 400- and Saequeh -around 200- with their own jet engines

Emmm no... these numbers are pure fantasy.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:19 pm

Iran Presents Home-Made Multifunctional Saba-248 Helicopter

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 C6TlXKVWQAA6JoK

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 C6UQcnPXQAAZDMH

https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201703071051344375-iran-new-helicopter/

mack8
    mack8

Post  mack8 Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:57 pm

Today some more "achievements" unveiled in Iran, among them a taxying demonstration of the Qaher-313. As an aviation enthusiast i am stunned (but perhaps i should be not, given their track record) that the mullahs actually went ahead and ordered the dreadful Qaher mock-up propaganda fiasco of 2013 to be fitted with engines and taxied around. It's dreadful to watch what they've done, purely for propaganda reasons, like they can actually fool anyone with a few working neurons... do they think the iranian citizens are that dumb to believe this?

PS: if only what some say about this being actually a (subscale?) demonstrator for something larger, powered by RD-33 engine(s) in the class of F-35, would be true... but won't hold my breath. Even if so, it's still a pathetically poor model and equally so the propaganda around it. It should have not taken four years to get it to this stage, if this was really the plan from the beggining. So far still what Babak Taghvaee says makes the most sense, the mullahs ordered the mock-up to be fitted with engines and shown again purely for propaganda reasons (now with the iranian "elections").

However, the Kowsar-88 trainer looks fairly OK, nothing groundbreaking, but if they actually work competently on it (but the above example of this Qaher is not encouraging) and get it in the air, tested and then introduced in service, it will actually be a creditable achievement of Iran's aerospace industry, THIS would be a respectable aircraft in it's class. Never mind now venting spleen about why the *** did they not carried on with developing and building the Tazarve, and going on about the now defunct Shafaq (a huge missed opportunity) and so on and so on...

Last edited by mack8 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
    lulldapull

Post  lulldapull Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:15 am

yes, this Qaher looks to be a half scale prototype. There's something about this design that just don't look right.

The least they could've done was to copy the F-35 fuselage/ wings. Looks like a test bed more than anything else.

Iran needs to inject serious money into its aerospace sector. The Kowser trainer however looks pretty straight forward.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:39 pm

It looks like production of domestic turbojet engine Owj, which is a clone of J85, gives a big push for Iranian aircraft projects. This trainer Kowsar-88 most probably use Owj engines without afterburners and two engines will give enough trust to this simple plane. F-313 looks to have those engines as well.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:32 am

Iran Military Advancements: News - Page 4 1089534_1000

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:08 am