Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


+15
kvs
PhSt
George1
Hannibal Barca
par far
franco
max steel
auslander
Werewolf
magnumcromagnon
higurashihougi
sepheronx
KoTeMoRe
GarryB
flamming_python
19 posters

    UN / Global Situation News Thread

    higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

    Posts : 2444
    Points : 2535
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Location : A small and cutie S-shaped land.

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  higurashihougi Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:19 am

    sepheronx wrote:The Deputy of the state Duma proposed to move the headquarters of the United Nations in a neutral country

    I agree 100%.  Move the UN to a neutral country or just drop from it and do not recognize anything the UN does as legitimate.

    Well Russia won't drop from it, because she is a permanent member of Security Council and can veto the US-backed UN resolution.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 7324
    Points : 7473
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  magnumcromagnon Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:40 am

    sepheronx wrote:The Deputy of the state Duma proposed to move the headquarters of the United Nations in a neutral country

    I agree 100%.  Move the UN to a neutral country or just drop from it and do not recognize anything the UN does as legitimate.

    I agree, move the U.N. to Singapore, a country that maintains good relations with the Big 3 world powers.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5289
    Points : 5490
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  Werewolf Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:44 pm

    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:The Deputy of the state Duma proposed to move the headquarters of the United Nations in a neutral country

    I agree 100%.  Move the UN to a neutral country or just drop from it and do not recognize anything the UN does as legitimate.

    I agree, move the U.N. to Singapore, a country that maintains good relations with the Big 3 world powers.

    Move the UN to Antarctica to show the importance of it and its value measured by the content of the continent. The UN a club of countries who can buy the most vassals to get votes and seats for specific agendas sights are pushing. Japanese bought asian countries and bribed some bigger countries to make a veto so they can keep wale hunting, US threatens and blackmails constantly all its vassals of EU/NATO and other countries that either rely on US military equipment or have an aligned agenda to sustain their little dictatorship or to name some like the dictatorships in ME or Asian vassals, to artificially create a members club that all always do and vote for whatever nuthead shit the US propose in its plans and struggle for world domination.

    The UN is a cartell through and through.
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 30975
    Points : 31501
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty I agree 100%. Move the UN to a neutral country or just drop from it and do not recognize anything the UN does as legitimate.

    Post  GarryB Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:24 am

    The only problem with the UN is that it is manipulated by a few for their own purposes.

    It is not supposed to be the worlds policeman... it is just supposed to be a forum for discussion at an international level.
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 16730
    Points : 17237
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  George1 Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:44 am

    UN: Middle East Quartet to have ministerial meeting in New York on September 30

    UNITED NATIONS, September 4. /TASS/. The four mediators in the Middle East settlement [Russia, the United States, the European Union and the United Nations] will have a ministerial-level meeting at the United Nations headquarters at the invitation of United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on September 30, U.S. Spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said on Friday.

    He said invitations to the meeting had been sent to Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini and foreign ministers of the countries of the region.

    The spokesperson said that after the Quartet foreign ministers had come out with a call to expand cooperation with Arab countries in February, the United Nations Secretary General decided to invite to the meeting Secretary General of the Arab League Nabil Elarabi and foreign ministers of Egypt, Jordan and Saudi Arabia.

    Earlier on Friday, Mogherini announced the forthcoming Quartet meeting but did not say when it would be held.

    Ministerial debates on conflict settlement in the Middle East and North Africa and rebuffing terrorist threat in the region will be held at the United Nations Security Council under Russia’s presidency on September 30. The discussion is expected focus on the situation in Syria, Iraq, Libya and the Palestinian-Israeli settlement.
    auslander
    auslander

    Posts : 1423
    Points : 1503
    Join date : 2015-04-25

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Putin Live at UN, English

    Post  auslander Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:12 pm

    http://www.rt.com/on-air/putin-address-un-live/
    auslander
    auslander

    Posts : 1423
    Points : 1503
    Join date : 2015-04-25

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  auslander Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:15 pm

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q13yzl6k6w0
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 16730
    Points : 17237
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  George1 Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:56 am

    max steel
    max steel

    Posts : 2930
    Points : 2955
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  max steel Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:49 am

    George1 wrote:


    Ha! I remember when US blocked Russia's UNSC request twice to place sanctions on ISIS.
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 16730
    Points : 17237
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  George1 Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:06 am

    George1
    George1

    Posts : 16730
    Points : 17237
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  George1 Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:28 pm

    Struggle For The Next UN General Secretary Gets Feverish

    Last week the UN conducted a straw poll to determine the candidates to be the next UN General Secretary. When the member states, after much lobbying and jockeying, arrive at settled choices the Security Council then picks a winner. As I’ve written in the past on this topic, there seems to be a preference for a woman and an Eastern European.

    The US back the former idea, Moscow the latter. After four straw polls at the UN Security Council over many months, four candidates are leading the race: Antonio Guterres of Portugal, Slovakian Foreign Minister Miroslav Lajčák, Serbia’s Vuk Jeremić and Irina Bokova from Bulgaria.

    Antonio Guterres has come up repeatedly as the number one candidate. He enjoys very wide support within the Security Council. Alas, the two biggest players do not like him. The Russians will most probably veto him because they want an East European as part of the rotational principle and they feel some affinity for the region. So, no to Gutierrez from that side. He also happens to be male. So, no to him also from the Western pro-female crowd.

    Let me first remind the reader of this column’s consistent criticism of the Russians. I carry no water for Putin. I may be one of his earliest still living critics, with emphasis on still living, dating back to a time even before the 2008 invasion of Georgia which I covered for the WSJ. I have co-written a book ostracizing him and the Chinese for strategic malfeasance. (“Return To Winter: Russia, China and the New Cold War”) But the real world dictates certain givens: the UN functions a certain way structurally and the Russians have a veto. They will use it against Guterres. You and I may not like it but fantasizing won’t help. If I know this and you know it, surely the grand political plenipotentiaries pushing pointless candidates to the fore know it also. So why do it? Why even bother?

    Miroslav Lajčák and Vuk Jeremić face the same problem in reverse: the West will certainly veto them. They have been heavily championed by Russia. No way will Washington will agree to elect Moscow’s puppets. Take the Slovak candidate. After his (Slovakia’s) Prime Minister met with Putin and called for lifting EU sanctions against Moscow, Lajčák rose from 10th to 2nd in UN Security straw polls. Jeremić is playing in the same category: he is fiercely anti-NATO, anti-Kosovo’s independence and a Serbian ultranationalist. So forget about these two, the free world will never support them.

    The most probable compromise candidate between the US and Russia appears to be the current head of Unesco, Irina B0kova. As it happens, Bokova is the official candidate of Bulgaria. Keep that in mind as you read on. In past columns I have argued for B0kova as the best option, founded as much on her own plusses as on the minuses of her rivals – which latter are byzantine and plentiful. Which is what makes this topic so enjoyable to peruse: the sheer fallibility and folly of political vanities. The UN is heading for another straw poll at the end of this month so it behooves us to clear the morass anew.
    Recommended by Forbes

    About Bokova on the plus side: she fits the desiderata (woman and East European), she is and was a practicing diplomat as former foreign minister of Bulgaria. She has run Unesco this many years with notable devotion. She it was that launched the prosecution of the Islamist villain who destroyed Timbuktu’s historic shrines. That trial is now actually happening at the Hague as I wrote in the Wall Street Journal, a remarkable success for its unprecedented plea of guilty by a repentant jihadi leader.

    An equally compelling narrative though is the comedy of errors being played out by Bokova’s rival for the Gen Sec position: the shadow bystander, yet another female Bulgarian, Kristalina Georgieva. Alas, she is manifestly, utterly unelectable. Sysiphean, to re-use a term I’ve used about Georgieva before. She is not actually a diplomat, never has been. But she won’t get elected chiefly because of her top EU posts which link her to EU sanctions against Russia. Russia will veto her; this weekend they reiterated that they refuse to consider her candidacy. And, in fact, she’s not even an official candidate! Not yet. But shadowy forces keep pushing her to the fore toward a nomination. And pressure is building on her own country Bulgaria to switch its vote to her. Therein lies another tale of political folly.

    Here we enter the murky inertial forces of EU power politics. Gutteres belongs to the Party of European Socialists (PES). His nomination by Portugal boosts the leverage of the entire party in Europe. Their region-wide rivals, the center-right European People’s Party (EPP), led by Angela Merkel, don’t like it. So, all of a sudden, there’s a move by the EPP and the distinctly more right-wing leader of Hungary, Viktor Orban, to oppose Gutteres. To do so, they are considering nominating Kristalina Georgieva, one of their own EU functionaries. Officially, it would be Hungary, Croatia and Latvia nominating a Bulgarian to run against a Bulgarian (Bokova) already nominated by Bulgaria. Follow me? If not, don’t blame me. That’s how it is in Europe. Now do you see why the EU can scarcely stand up to Putin or prevent Brexit or… well, you get the point.

    So the game hangs in the balance as the insular internecine power struggles within Europe pirhouette about. If Bulgaria’s Prime Minister Borissov gives in to Orban and the EPP, switches Bulgaria’s nomination from Bokova to Georgieva, he will lose his country’s one shot at leading the world. He will thereby wreck his own career. Because, as certain as day follows night, Georgieva will be vetoed by the Russians. As both the former Polish President Kwasniewski and the former US Ambassador the UN Bill Richardson stated this week-end, Bokova is the only chance for Bulgaria and Eastern Europe to get a UN Secretary General. There’s nothing that Berlin or Budapest can do about it because they have no seat in the UN Security Council and no leverage over it. On the other hand, if Borissov resists his fellow European conservative politicians, one can only imagine the personal political cost for him. Still, it’s his one chance to write his name in history as a Bulgarian patriot, and not to be humiliated by a last minute swap of candidate which would fail dramatically. We will soon see which actuating force will prevail over Europe’s and indeed the world’s affairs.

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/melikkaylan/2016/09/11/struggle-for-the-next-un-general-secretary-gets-feverish/#40b38fe45c20
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 16730
    Points : 17237
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  George1 Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:27 am

    António Guterres to be next UN secretary general

    http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=55224#.V_tCbcmX7K8

    franco
    franco

    Posts : 4486
    Points : 4518
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Not sure where this should go but here is a world wide survey conducted among 38 countries

    Post  franco Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:14 am

    Not sure where this should go but here is a world wide survey conducted among 38 countries on what are the biggest threats in their citizens perception. Canada and Australia results are somewhat surprising.

    http://www.pewglobal.org/2017/08/01/globally-people-point-to-isis-and-climate-change-as-leading-security-threats/#fn-38604-1
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 16730
    Points : 17237
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Zimbabwe: Robert Mugabe downfall

    Post  George1 Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:23 pm

    i think developments are very interesting for the strongman of Zimbabwe that governs the country for 4 decades. Today his party ZANU-PF asked him to resign

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-zimbabwe-politics-harare/ecstatic-zimbabweans-celebrate-expected-mugabe-downfall-idUSKBN1DI08B
    avatar
    par far

    Posts : 2625
    Points : 2868
    Join date : 2014-06-26

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Military and Political Trends Of 2017 That Will Shape 2018

    Post  par far Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:07 pm

    A good video showing what may happen in 2018. Do You agree about what it has to say about Russia?




    https://southfront.org/military-political-trends-2017-will-shape-2018/


    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

    Posts : 1377
    Points : 1389
    Join date : 2013-12-13

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  Hannibal Barca Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:56 pm

    2017 was clearly ours, although fiercely contested.
    2018 will not be easy either.
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 16730
    Points : 17237
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  George1 Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:54 am

    Sudan Military forced Omar al-Bashir out of power

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/africa/live-news/sudan-latest-updates/index.html
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 16730
    Points : 17237
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  George1 Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:05 am

    Sudanese Military Arrests Senior Officers After Failed Coup

    https://sputniknews.com/africa/201907251076352860-sudan-military-arrest-senior-officers-failed-coup/
    PhSt
    PhSt

    Posts : 541
    Points : 547
    Join date : 2019-04-02

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  PhSt Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:55 pm

    Unfortunately, Russia does not have enough ‘Financial’ ammunition to buy votes in the UN compared to US and China. This incident only shows the urgent necessity to bring down the US economy. With America’s economy in ruin, they will have no money to buy influence and fund maintenance of their military bases in occupied countries.



    UN First Committee rejects Russia's proposal to consider moving its sessions from US

    THE UNITED NATIONS, November 8. /TASS/. The UN General Assembly's First Committee on disarmament has voted against Russia's proposal to consider moving its sessions from the United States if the UN and Washington fail to resolve visa issues of Russian delegates, a TASS correspondent reported. Eighteen countries supported Russia's proposal, 69 states voted against it, and another 72 countries abstained. Among those who supported the proposal were China, Kazakhstan, Syria, Iran, several Latin American and African countries.

    Russia suggested to request a report from the UN secretary general by 1 April 2020 about alternative locations for holding the 2020 sessions of the First Committee, including Geneva and Vienna, if no progress is reached on the visa issues.

    When discussing the draft co-authored by Angola, Burundi, Nicaragua, Syria and Russia, Moscow suggested to make amendments to the initial proposal and specify the steps needed to resolve the problem, Russia's Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN in Geneva Andrey Belousov said. "However, we think that this serious problem - access of national delegations to UN events - should remain in focus of our committee and General Assembly, so we suggested a step-by-step approach," Belousov noted.


    The diplomat stressed that the new draft is "aimed at allowing the UN Secretariat and secretary general to once again make efforts to settle the visa problem." "On the other hand, we are giving the US another opportunity to reconsider their policy toward issuing visas to delegates from certain countries who plan to participate in UN events," he noted.

    Since the start of the 74th session of the UN General Assembly, the United States have not issued visas to 18 Russian delegates.

    kvs
    kvs

    Posts : 10859
    Points : 11004
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  kvs Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:39 pm

    PhSt wrote:Unfortunately, Russia does not have enough ‘Financial’ ammunition to buy votes in the UN compared to US and China. This incident only shows the urgent necessity to bring down the US economy. With America’s economy in ruin, they will have no money to buy influence and fund maintenance of their military bases in occupied countries.



    UN First Committee rejects Russia's proposal to consider moving its sessions from US

    THE UNITED NATIONS, November 8. /TASS/. The UN General Assembly's First Committee on disarmament has voted against Russia's proposal to consider moving its sessions from the United States if the UN and Washington fail to resolve visa issues of Russian delegates, a TASS correspondent reported. Eighteen countries supported Russia's proposal, 69 states voted against it, and another 72 countries abstained. Among those who supported the proposal were China, Kazakhstan, Syria, Iran, several Latin American and African countries.

    Russia suggested to request a report from the UN secretary general by 1 April 2020 about alternative locations for holding the 2020 sessions of the First Committee, including Geneva and Vienna, if no progress is reached on the visa issues.

    When discussing the draft co-authored by Angola, Burundi, Nicaragua, Syria and Russia, Moscow suggested to make amendments to the initial proposal and specify the steps needed to resolve the problem, Russia's Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN in Geneva Andrey Belousov said. "However, we think that this serious problem - access of national delegations to UN events - should remain in focus of our committee and General Assembly, so we suggested a step-by-step approach," Belousov noted.


    The diplomat stressed that the new draft is "aimed at allowing the UN Secretariat and secretary general to once again make efforts to settle the visa problem." "On the other hand, we are giving the US another opportunity to reconsider their policy toward issuing visas to delegates from certain countries who plan to participate in UN events," he noted.

    Since the start of the 74th session of the UN General Assembly, the United States have not issued visas to 18 Russian delegates.


    Who cares, the UN is a total joke.

    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

    Posts : 6196
    Points : 6170
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  miketheterrible Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:02 pm

    kvs wrote:
    PhSt wrote:Unfortunately, Russia does not have enough ‘Financial’ ammunition to buy votes in the UN compared to US and China. This incident only shows the urgent necessity to bring down the US economy. With America’s economy in ruin, they will have no money to buy influence and fund maintenance of their military bases in occupied countries.



    UN First Committee rejects Russia's proposal to consider moving its sessions from US

    THE UNITED NATIONS, November 8. /TASS/. The UN General Assembly's First Committee on disarmament has voted against Russia's proposal to consider moving its sessions from the United States if the UN and Washington fail to resolve visa issues of Russian delegates, a TASS correspondent reported. Eighteen countries supported Russia's proposal, 69 states voted against it, and another 72 countries abstained. Among those who supported the proposal were China, Kazakhstan, Syria, Iran, several Latin American and African countries.

    Russia suggested to request a report from the UN secretary general by 1 April 2020 about alternative locations for holding the 2020 sessions of the First Committee, including Geneva and Vienna, if no progress is reached on the visa issues.

    When discussing the draft co-authored by Angola, Burundi, Nicaragua, Syria and Russia, Moscow suggested to make amendments to the initial proposal and specify the steps needed to resolve the problem, Russia's Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN in Geneva Andrey Belousov said. "However, we think that this serious problem - access of national delegations to UN events - should remain in focus of our committee and General Assembly, so we suggested a step-by-step approach," Belousov noted.


    The diplomat stressed that the new draft is "aimed at allowing the UN Secretariat and secretary general to once again make efforts to settle the visa problem." "On the other hand, we are giving the US another opportunity to reconsider their policy toward issuing visas to delegates from certain countries who plan to participate in UN events," he noted.

    Since the start of the 74th session of the UN General Assembly, the United States have not issued visas to 18 Russian delegates.


    Who cares, the UN is a total joke.


    Exactly. Use current systems in place to build the next League of Nations but this time of Russia, China, India and other big players mixed with many small players (Africa) so that it gets more potential voices. The displeasement for UN grows rapidly and many small nations like those in Africa and alike view they have no voice at all, which is true. So give them a voice in the Russia/China league of nations and all of a sudden UN will end up losing its luster. Heck, you can probably host it somewhere in lets say Vietnam and it may end up becoming a very popular structure in shorter time.
    Hole
    Hole

    Posts : 4657
    Points : 4645
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 45
    Location : Merkelland

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Unfortunately, Russia does not have enough ‘Financial’ ammunition to buy votes in the UN compared to US and China.

    Post  Hole Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:05 pm

    There were some votes initiated by Russia that went trough. 160 - 170 countries voted for condemning Nazism, against militarising outer space and so on. Just or beloved hegemon and his minion Israel voted against them.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 8030
    Points : 8014
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Idk where to put that...

    Post  Isos Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:27 pm

    Idk where to put that...


    Shoaib M Khan
    @ShoaibMKhan
    · 7h
    UK has been called an illegal colonial occupier by Mauritius after it ignored a deadline to return control of an overseas territory to Mauritius. The UN had given the UK six months to give up control of the Chagos Islands, but that period has now passed.
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 30975
    Points : 31501
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  GarryB Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:14 am

    This is a suitable threat... but I suspect the British government would prefer you placed it under a carpet somewhere.... Wink
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 16730
    Points : 17237
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  George1 Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:44 pm

    AFP: Malian president, prime minister arrested by rebels

    Sponsored content

    UN / Global Situation News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: UN / Global Situation News Thread

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:46 pm