Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+41
SeigSoloyvov
The-thing-next-door
Kimppis
xeno
HUNTER VZLA
syunsan
Walther von Oldenburg
DTA
Boshoed
PapaDragon
max steel
Arctic_Fox
Sunbeam
Vann7
Book.
2SPOOKY4U
Regular
OminousSpudd
kvs
Airbornewolf
Zivo
collegeboy16
flamming_python
Manov
VladimirSahin
Morpheus Eberhardt
As Sa'iqa
CosPetia
NationalRus
KomissarBojanchev
magnumcromagnon
AlfaT8
higurashihougi
Mike E
Werewolf
Viktor
GarryB
TR1
Admin
Stealthflanker
sepheronx
45 posters

Video Games Thread

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Video Games Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Video Games Thread

Post  PapaDragon Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:05 pm

kvs wrote:People ragged on Andromeda but I found it OK.   There is too much anal purism in games which probably turns off the makers
    and is thus self-defeating.

For me Mass Effect 1 is one of the best things ever made, not just in videogames but in entrainment overall

Sequels didn’t even come close to that level of greatness, total disappointments despite my best effort to like them (especially ME2)

But you convinced me to give Andromeda a go, fresh setting will probably work for the best

flamming_python wrote:...The game has two sequels, Dead Space 2 & 3. They are more action orientated while still maintaining the horror atmosphere. But I haven't played them yet so can't really say for sure.

Oh and it's also one of those games with a completely silent protagonist. In case you hadn't had your fill of GTA 3 and other older action-adventures in your life thumbsup

I played Dead Space 2 and 3 and I do have to say that they are amazing

Dead Space 2 really cranked up the horror (that fucking nursery) and while everyone ragged on Dead Space 3 for some reason the game itself is great, there is more action in the second half but it fits the pace of the narrative as it moves towards the grand finale and at the end of it you will be given ALL THE ANSWERS to all the mysteries from the entire story all the way from the first game

A rarity in videogame storytelling

flamming_python likes this post

Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:36 pm

Scorpius wrote:
    The game is from the Russian studio Mundfish.
    That has some Half Life 2 and System Shock/Bio Shock vibes.

It's on my whish list on steam. Will be looking forward to play it.

The game I am playing is Mordhau since I am a fan of Buhurt/Battle of the Nations and I like challenging games.

Not the best video to propagate the game but just for impressions on how it looks.

GarryB and flamming_python like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:20 am

That Atomic thing looks pretty awesome, but one look at it is enough to tell me that I need a new graphics card.

**sigh**

Anyway I'm going to throw in a retro release here and go all retro. Coz retro is my thing afro

Pretty much all that needs to be said about Exhumed is said in the video.
    I played it on the Sega Saturn out of all things back when I was a kid. Never got far in it. Then as an adult I had the PS1 version loaded up on my PSP, and I got a little further. It gets hard, what can I say.
    But it is undeniably an awesome and unique game and should not be passed up.
    The company who made it was a Sega Saturn developer who only ever released 3 games - and 2 of those were ports (Quake and Duke Nukem 3D for the Saturn). They created a custom engine for those ports, and then created this original game on top of that engine for the Sega Saturn; and it was ported to the PS1 in addition.

As mentioned in the vid a remaster on Steam came out just earlier this year (not to be confused with the PC game of the same name on the Build engine). Which looks great. Go check Exhumed out, it has a unique alien Egyptian theme, a fantastic score and the best M60 machine gun I can remember from any game. Metroidvania stuff adds a lot of value too.
    It's just a shame a sequel never came out.

Video Games Thread - Page 17 Ss_9726bea2634589d08259ff68ccee5d38c7b78927.1920x1080
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 Ss_0e2f814b51fafb6a4e46867f9d1d4b76013f772d.1920x1080
    Video Games Thread - Page 17 Vgtimes_ru_ss_23720840078bf15ac1fa91f147d496eff8e87

GarryB and Werewolf like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:20 am

The game I am playing is Mordhau since I am a fan of Buhurt/Battle of the Nations and I like challenging games.

Interesting looking game... surprised the number of people using axes and swords... a spear is actually more powerful out in the open if used skillfully... or should I say it is as much work to learn to use skillfully as any sword or axe, but has enormous advantages in reach... especially out in the open like that.

Lots of vids on YT about medieval weapons and their actual effectiveness...
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:25 am

GarryB wrote:

Interesting looking game... surprised the number of people using axes and swords... a spear is actually more powerful out in the open if used skillfully... or should I say it is as much work to learn to use skillfully as any sword or axe, but has enormous advantages in reach... especially out in the open like that.

Looks the same as Chivalry, which is/was the big popular 1st-person medieval combat game for nigh on 10 years now

Although I actually preferred a little game called War of the Roses. Until the servers were shut down and I couldn't play it anymore at any rate. It's third-person, but was very focused on realism and technical skill when it comes to swinging your weapons and aiming them right. Brilliant game, especially when opposing teams elected to decide things by duels.
    lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:10 am

GarryB wrote:

If armor actually works in that game the axe is a good choice. It might not cut through armor but it will break skulls and bones with a good strong hit.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:59 pm

flamming_python wrote:

Looks the same as Chivalry, which is/was the big popular 1st-person medieval combat game for nigh on 10 years now

Although I actually preferred a little game called War of the Roses. Until the servers were shut down and I couldn't play it anymore at any rate. It's third-person, but was very focused on realism and technical skill when it comes to swinging your weapons and aiming them right. Brilliant game, especially when opposing teams elected to decide things by duels.

I played chivalry for like 400 hours. Loved the game, however, the ballerina mechanics have destroyed the game and any interest by new players. It is impossible to predict a player's direction of attack to block or parry if he abuses the ballerina mechanics to its full potential.

The Ballerina mechanics refers to the possibility to swing your weapon and move your mouse in such way, that your character turns 180° while his Hammer/Maul is swung from above his head and your character snaps in the middle while touching with his head his toes (in full body armor). There is zero reaction time the enemy has and people who played that game for several thousand hours would be just one man armies.

Along with bugs and glitches that could cancel the animation for your next swing by simply switching weapons back and forth before a strike. Things like that destroyed the game.

Mordhau while better has also some bugs that are annyoing, but less severe and it is much harder to become a one man army.

Chivalry 2 I haven't played yet, but would like to.

If armor actually works in that game the axe is a good choice. It might not cut through armor but it will break skulls and bones with a good strong hit.

The Axes in this game are quite good, but Armor is obviously not really doing anything other than reducing the damage points which slowly reduce your health. Would be the armor in the slightest be more realistic then Archers and onehanded swordsmen would be jobless.

I prefer the Hellberd, Knightsword or Berdych. Sometimes I just like to kill horsemen swith the short bill since it can dismount the rider. tongue

GarryB wrote:Interesting looking game... surprised the number of people using axes and swords... a spear is actually more powerful out in the open if used skillfully... or should I say it is as much work to learn to use skillfully as any sword or axe, but has enormous advantages in reach... especially out in the open like that.

The swords in that game have a slight speed advantage to overcome slower weapons. Would actually like to see that onehanded (light weapons) are barely capable to parry twohanded weapons, would make it more realistic but, yeah, just a game.

GarryB likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:31 am

A double face ax is a waste of weight and energy... why duplicate the weight of an axe blade when you can only use one side at a time...

From the videos I have watched on YT it makes more sense to have a good blade on one side and a spike on the other side... the blade for exposed flesh or unarmoured targets.... or as a practical tool while the spike will punch though any level of wearable armour with the weight of the blade on the opposite side adding momentum and energy to the blow.

There is a guy on YT that does a lot of testing and is a bit of an expert (without being a pompous dick)... name is Skallagrim.

Very interesting to learn from.
    lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:04 am

Werewolf wrote:
    The Axes in this game are quite good, but Armor is obviously not really doing anything other than reducing the damage points which slowly reduce your health. Would be the armor in the slightest be more realistic then Archers and onehanded swordsmen would be jobless.

I prefer the Hellberd, Knightsword or Berdych. Sometimes I just like to kill horsemen swith the short bill since it can  dismount the rider. tongue
    Only the most heavily armored of knights wore full plate that are immune to bowshot and cutting edges. If games were to limit the amount of armor the typical players wear its possible to implement a realistic armor mechanic while still maintaining archery and swords as viable playstyles. It was that way in real life anyway.

Halberds are nice. Prefer the Poleax myself for the shear versatility of the spike, ax, and hammer.

GarryB wrote:
    A double face ax is a waste of weight and energy... why duplicate the weight of an axe blade when you can only use one side at a time...

From the videos I have watched on YT it makes more sense to have a good blade on one side and a spike on the other side... the blade for exposed flesh or unarmoured targets.... or as a practical tool while the spike will punch though any level of wearable armour with the weight of the blade on the opposite side adding momentum and energy to the blow.

There is a guy on YT that does a lot of testing and is a bit of an expert (without being a pompous dick)... name is Skallagrim.

True. Its also not a good idea for a weapon that one wrong hit can rebound back to the user's face. Twice more expensive for the amount of work each head needs as well.

Skall is good, been watching him for years. Recently discovered this dude who does a lot of reenactments of fighting manuals. Real great stuff.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:11 am

GarryB wrote:

Yea, I watched many of his videos. Quite good content but I also watch others and some in Russian.

In video games aesthetic touch inspired by fantasy movies is almost always present and even many times in Viking movies (horned helmets or double edged axes and oversized Sledgehammers).

lyle6 wrote:Only the most heavily armored of knights wore full plate that are immune to bowshot and cutting edges. If games were to limit the amount of armor the typical players wear its possible to implement a realistic armor mechanic while still maintaining archery and swords as viable playstyles. It was that way in real life anyway.

Halberds are nice. Prefer the Poleax myself for the shear versatility of the spike, ax, and hammer.

I absolutely agree, but in games how do you create a balance who will be the unfortunate twat on the battlefield who only gets a helmet and a spike and no other stuff and who is the rich knight in full plate armor and entire sophisticated weaponry of his choosing?

I would like to see such a game mode tho just to see if it is even possible to balance and have some realism but also fun for players. I think it is overall avoided since such genre is a small niche in itself and risking to flop such a project due to much realism and zero fun is not a motivation or risk developers take.

The game isn't that widely known nor modded to have this even achieved by fan community, but I would totally like to play that.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:23 am