Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+75
Arkanghelsk
Dr.Snufflebug
Backman
Broski
caveat emptor
Gazputin
gc3762
Rodion_Romanovic
Dima
rigoletto
nero
Russian_Patriot_
Lennox
Daniel_Admassu
lancelot
par far
Rasisuki Nebia
owais.usmani
Kiko
Scorpius
lyle6
LMFS
Big_Gazza
x_54_u43
Tingsay
calripson
thegopnik
PhSt
Hole
miketheterrible
GunshipDemocracy
Singular_Transform
kvs
PapaDragon
Project Canada
Singular_trafo
George1
Kimppis
ExBeobachter1987
victor1985
mutantsushi
Morpheus Eberhardt
Cyberspec
Book.
Kyo
KoTeMoRe
Neutrality
Vann7
indochina
Mike E
r111
Rmf
vK_man
Strizh
Werewolf
Russian Patriot
Mindstorm
Asf
Hannibal Barca
TR1
Flanky
BlackArrow
gaurav
magnumcromagnon
Viktor
flamming_python
Firebird
AlfaT8
Austin
GarryB
Turk1
Stealthflanker
Vladislav
sepheronx
Admin
79 posters

Russian Electronics: Semiconductor and Processors

Neutrality
    Neutrality

Russian Electronics: Semiconductor and Processors - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Electronics: Semiconductor and Processors

Post  Neutrality Mon May 25, 2015 5:10 pm

Awesome news. Baikal is getting its forms Smile
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Russian Electronics: Semiconductor and Processors - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian Electronics: Semiconductor and Processors

Post  sepheronx Mon May 25, 2015 6:29 pm

Fantastic news Kyo, thank you for the find.

Now it is up to Russian companies and developers to buy into this. For instance, Russian cellphone developers and tablet developers like Yota devices and others (I know there are a few Russian brands).
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Mon May 25, 2015 11:56 pm

Kyo wrote:Russian Domestic Development Multicore Processor Issued

Russian "Baikal Electronics" has released an engineering sample of the new multi-core processor "Baikal-T1" at 1.2 GHz on 28 nm process technology. This is stated in a statement. Hopes that the processor will be used in telecom devices, industrial automation

So this thing uses the P5600 MIPS core:

http://www.imgtec.com/mips/warrior/pclass.asp

Russian Electronics: Semiconductor and Processors - Page 11 Mips-p5600-series5-cpu

It has 128 bit SIMD integer and FP units. So it can process 4 x 32 bit FP instructions per clock which is nice.

I though it was an ARM based chip, but it is actually based on MIPS.

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue May 26, 2015 12:07 am

Interesting indeed. But maybe due to sanctions they couldnt get license? Anyway, fantastic news!
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Russian Electronics: Semiconductor and Processors - Page 11 Empty "Daughter" T-Platforms" has released a Russian processor

Post  sepheronx Tue May 26, 2015 12:24 am

"Daughter" T-Platforms" has released a Russian processor
    Russian Electronics: Semiconductor and Processors - Page 11 UxsZbme
    Neutrality
    Neutrality

Post  Neutrality Tue May 26, 2015 10:55 am

Yeah that was my understanding as well. Thought it would use the ARM-Cortex A57 architecture.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue May 26, 2015 2:41 pm

The thing that gets me is that it really isnt what they initially stated it was. My best guess, looking at what they are aiming this chip for, is either going with MIPS for certain applications then ARM, or they are possibly just going to stick to MIPS? I wouldnt see the point of going between both and just sticking to one.

Hopefully after this, they will aim at their own RISC architecture like MCST with their own VLIW. But this is the right first step. Hopefully they will release civil devices powered with these cores.

It is mentioned ministry of industry and trade sanctioned the development, which is strange since they also did same for MCST and reading further in, both chips are for similar applications. So why the overlap?

I am excited to see what is in store in the future.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue May 26, 2015 8:12 pm

Serial manufacture of Russian 8-core processor Elbrus to start in 2016 — developer
    Kyo
    Kyo

Post  Kyo Tue May 26, 2015 9:43 pm

What are the pros and cons of using MIPS vs. ARM processor architecture for baseband or application processors for smartphones and tablets?

Honestly, there's little "real-world difference" between the two architectures; product design is largely driven by other factors. However, I'd say that availability and existing code base are often the deciding factors in choosing one architecture over another; it can be challenging to buy a sub-10k quantity of high-performance MIPS SoCs, whereas you can easily get an i.MX/OMAP/Sitara/Tegra2/etc. solution; if the necessary OS/software/drivers are only available for one architecture, that will be your architecture.

Architecture-wise, ARM has fewer registers but more addressing modes. MIPS has more registers, but fewer addressing modes. --> I suppose that MIPS would have a slight performance advantage when the memory bus is slow and you're in a position to take advantage of having more registers.

Can you identify what is the single biggest constraint anyone has when working on smartphones or tablets? Give yourself a minute to think before reading further..Assuming you got it right...its battery aka power...Since vendors are making the phone "smart" by adding many functions to it, consumers also want to do lot more , but still they don't want to drain the battery out...So any architecture should be power efficient ..As it turns out, ARM processors has the best power efficient processors or in another words they have advantage of in power performance ratio...Now add another dimension to this. You need an OS and android primarily is based on RISC based architectures and so OS portability is important..And next is marketing..ARM did an amazing job in marketing and selling its solutions..It targeted the right segment...MIPS used to have larger share in Settop box markets etc...

But now MIPS and Intel with ATOM ver2 processor are closing the gap with ARM ...so its matter of time when there will not be much technical advantage going ARM processors...There are also other business factors like pricing, availability and application support which also largely influence a vendors decision to go with a specific architecture...

sepheronx, kvs, can you translate, pls?
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue May 26, 2015 9:52 pm

Pretty much it is a RISC processor vs RISC processor. What made SPARC popular in the past was its efficiencies in access to its instructions that were available, the software designed around it, and its general use in mainframes. No different than others. ARM is like other forms of processors of RISC nature but is apparently better power management in comparrison to its overall performance. add that there is a huge popular base for them due to mobile market and the android os (as well as ios) are built around them. But in the end, a MIPS processor can easily do what arm one does, and vice versa with little differences.

KVS can probably explain it better than I can.
    Kyo
    Kyo

Post  Kyo Tue May 26, 2015 11:21 pm

sepheronx wrote: But in the end, a MIPS processor can easily do what arm one does, and vice versa with little differences.

Thx! That's all what I wanted to know.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Wed May 27, 2015 12:42 am

I think the chose MIPS because it derived from the original processors used by SGI back in the day. So it is a serious
    CPU architecture. In particular it looks to me like it has better performance in floating point operations than the ARM
    architecture.

The Elbrus CPU needs SIMD FP units. Then it will truly kick ass.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Thu May 28, 2015 1:02 pm

http://www.rostec.ru/news/4516582
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu May 28, 2015 2:15 pm

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:http://www.rostec.ru/news/4516582

So that was more or less leak right there of Elbrus 16C. My bet is it will be an Elbrus 8C but with 16 cores instead. Which is fine. But they need to remember that majority (and I mean majority of software is very poorly coded to do beyond 2 cores these days in proper execution amongst all cores in efficiency. There will need to be a breakthrough in it.

I also agree with KVS, as it was a very important step that Baikal T had SIMD 128 something that Elbrus needs. Since it appears that Rostec has their hands in both, I have no idea why they didnt opt for it in Elbrus yet. As well, one instruction that actuall gave a big boost to performance for PowerPC and its Nintendo CPU "Espresso" was OOO execution (out of order) which effectively allows the CPU to continue doing operations on other cores when one operation is taking too long and thus can dedicate work done on other cpus to the tasks that are not as complex. It really is a smart system. Something that Rostec should look into.
    Neutrality
    Neutrality

Post  Neutrality Thu May 28, 2015 3:30 pm

So after reading that article it sounds like the next Baikal (Baikal-M) CPU will be based on ARM architecture.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu May 28, 2015 6:21 pm

I dont see the point really. If they produce mips now, they can accomplish what arm does with mips. Would also save them money.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Post  GunshipDemocracy Fri May 29, 2015 9:36 pm

sepheronx wrote:I dont see the point really. If they produce mips now, they can accomplish what arm does with mips. Would also save them money.

not all egs into one basket?
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Fri May 29, 2015 11:26 pm

sepheronx wrote:I dont see the point really. If they produce mips now, they can accomplish what arm does with mips. Would also save them money.

It may be a code base issue. There is a lot of software written for ARM. Even though MIPS dates back to the 1990s, it never had the sort of
    large scale adoption. If all one cares about is compiling programs from source code then any decent CPU is enough. But as I am sure you know,
    that is not how this industry works.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Fri May 29, 2015 11:38 pm

kvs wrote:

It may be a code base issue.   There is a lot of software written for ARM.   Even though MIPS dates back to the 1990s, it never had the sort of
    large scale adoption.   If all one cares about is compiling programs from source code then any decent CPU is enough.   But as I am sure you know,
    that is not how this industry works.

Of course not. But it has to start somewhere to be honest. In what I am getting at is that clearly the MIPS works great. Software coding base is another and Russia has been turning away from the western software, not just hardware. And that would mean great opportunities for various programmers not only from Russia but India and China as well (Since China has also moved to the MIPS field with their Loongsong processor). I understand the purpose, but I don't think it is worth it really.
    mutantsushi

Post  mutantsushi Sat May 30, 2015 1:06 am

Well if you want to make CPUs to go in commercial products like smartphones that are supposed to use
    generally available Android apps from Google Play App Store, yes it's important.
    Sure, China also has MIPS projects, but also pursues commercial ARM projects.
    (Android in fact HAS a MIPS branch maintained by Google, and it may become commercially relevant. Not yet though)
    There is really no difference in software jobs in general, since the issue is recompilation,
    a "hassle factor" to promote local ISA infrastructure is just not going to accomplish much.

Remember, America's "Silicion Valley" is all about commercial synergies after all.
    Ultimately, swapping MIPS execution units for ARM designs does not impede Russia's larger Semi design/fab projects,
    and if an ARM licence produces profitable commerical product, that helps things in the larger picture.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sat May 30, 2015 1:13 am

mutantsushi wrote:Well if you want to make CPUs to go in commercial products like smartphones that are supposed to use
    generally available Android apps from Google Play App Store, yes it's important.
    Sure, China also has MIPS projects, but also pursues commercial ARM projects.
    (Android in fact HAS a MIPS branch maintained by Google, and it may become commercially relevant.  Not yet though)
    There is really no difference in software jobs in general, since the issue is recompilation,
    a "hassle factor" to promote local ISA infrastructure is just not going to accomplish much.

Remember, America's "Silicion Valley" is all about commercial synergies after all.
    Ultimately, swapping MIPS execution units for ARM designs does not impede Russia's larger Semi design/fab projects,
    and if an ARM licence produces profitable commerical product, that helps things in the larger picture.

There are general costs and resources used when maintaining two different lines of architectures. Intel found that out the hard way. Seems MCST has not (since they keep the SPARC line and the VLIW line going). MIPS have been used for various commercial purposes from game consoles to even mobile devices plenty in recent past. If what you say is that google already has a MIPS sector for commercial purposes, then at that point, switching to ARM becomes even less relevant.
    mutantsushi

Post  mutantsushi Sat May 30, 2015 1:45 am

I'm saying it exists but you can't trivially download majority of Android apps, thus not commercially relevant at present moment.
    (for consumer-focused software platform markets, as opposed to niches which don't involve consumer software market)
    I actually think MIPS has interesting potential (aside from current niche), considering Android potential as well as other OS,
    but that is obviously not the same as short term commercial viability...
    I would say comparison to multiple competing Intel proprietary ISAs is not relevant, because this is not about pushing new ISA but about
    cashing in on existing ARM market with instantly viable commercial product, which MIPS apparently is not at current moment (outside existing niche).
    The fact they are choosing to go ahead with it while already having MIPS projects (and knowing all costs involved) suggests there is a good reason to do so.

The new non-von-Neumann MultiClet project that basically obsoletes OOO Branch Predictors seems really interesting and potential long-term...
    Unclear exactly what niches it will ultimately be applicable to, but even starting small it can eventually expand if enabled by newer tech re: interconnects.

Last edited by mutantsushi on Sat May 30, 2015 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sat May 30, 2015 1:48 am

mutantsushi wrote:I'm saying it exists but you can't trivially download majority of Android apps, thus not commercially relevant at present moment.
    (for consumer-focused software platform markets, as opposed to niches which don't involve consumer software market)
    I actually think MIPS has interesting potential (aside from current niche), considering Android potential as well as other OS,
    but that is obviously not the same as short term commercial viability...
    I would say comparison to multiple competing Intel proprietary ISAs is not relevant, because this is not about pushing new ISA but about
    cashing in on existing ARM market with instantly viable commercial product, which MIPS apparently is not at current moment (outside existing niche).
    The fact they are choosing to go ahead with it while already having MIPS projects (and knowing all costs involved) suggests there is a good reason to do so.

The new non-Neumann ISA that basically obsoletes OOO Branch Predictors seems really interesting and potential long-term...

Ah, you talking of Multiclet processor? Cause that non-Neumann processor is very interesting.

Yes, I guess Baikal could cash in on the whole mobile phone and tablet market without huge investments. They will probably do basic development in it to cash in and invest further in their other processor products. Possibly.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:59 am

Russian supercomputer based on 256 processors Elbrus
    According to the website of the Russian developer of processors and microelectronics MCST, submitted in the spring of 2015 first Soviet mass-production rack server based on a 4-core Elbrus-4C is an integral part of the new computing building Supercomputers with performance of 13.8 teraflops! New Russian computer system is a rack-mounted cluster based on domestic servers, in which a total combined 64 module 4 processors each. All 256 processors 4-core Elbrus-4C (800 MHz per core) on domestic motherboards, where the slots of RAM installed dies a total volume of 6 TB, and the total amount of disk space of the entire complex is 32 TB. The performance of such computing systems Supercomputers equal to 13.8 teraflops. At the end of 2015 is expected to create the next generation of Russian computing systems based on 8-core processor Elbrus-8C (1.3 GHz per core). The developers also acknowledge the ongoing processor Elbrus-16C and a series of decisions based on it.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:29 pm

http://www.sdelanounas.ru/blogs/64331/

The 8 core Elbrus CPU is now sampling. It has a frequency of 1.3 GHz and a nominal 250 gigaflop rating.
    The 8 core Intel i7-5960X has a nominal 350 gigaflop rating.

I believe the higher flop rating for the Intel is due solely to the fact that it can do SIMD 64 bit floating
    operations. The Elbrus flop count reduces by a factor of two when doing 64 bit math. This should be
    urgently addressed. Even so you can see the VLIW performance when a 1.3 GHz CPU manages to get
    flop rates close to a 3-3.5 GHz CPU.

It is ironic that a VLIW processor was not equipped with vector floating point. I think they were too
    conservative in the design targets back in the 1990s and this has become a legacy burden. The need
    to expand the floating point width from 32 bits to 64 bits and they need to include vector FPUs.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:30 am