Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 5771
    Points : 5922
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:49 pm

    RTN wrote:
    GarryB wrote:
    SOSNA and Kornet and Vikhr are the same, but they are looking back at a laser and determining where they are in the beam in a similar way... they manouver themselves in to the centre of the beam..

    Is Russia going to introduce a GPS/GLONASS guided artillery shell, like the M982 Excalibur ? Satellite guided shells have benefits.
    GLONASS shells have existed since 2011, and they've been discussed in dozens of threads, and their 25 to 40 times cheaper than the US GPS equivalent shells.
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 24369
    Points : 24911
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  GarryB on Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:19 am

    They have developed a new nose mounted fuse system with control surfaces for 152mm and larger calibre artillery rounds that includes a GLONASS navigation system receiver and can be used to direct shells on to targets. CEP is reportedly 10m, which is pretty damn good.

    Note a CEP of 10m means a volley of shots fired by Coalition battery, means each gun could fire 6 or more shells at the target and all those shells will hit at once... with 6 vehicles that would mean the impact of more than 36 shells in a 10m circle... I would say most things in that circle are dead... but of course being guided they might just allocate one vehicle per target with perhaps 2-3 shells per target to be sure of the result.

    Of course they also have a range of guided gun launched missile shells from 120mm Gran, to 122mm Kitilov, and of course the 152mm Krasnopol, and also rounds for the larger calibres like 160mm, 180mm, 203mm and 240mm they still use.

    They also have guided Naval rounds in large calibres but technology in 57mm guided shells could probably be applied to larger calibre guns to allow larger HE payloads in those rounds.

    And while the US is busting their budget with guided shells like the very expensive Excalibur... which costs 10 times more than Metis BTW, they are also not even bothering with the new gun system on their new ships because their guided shells cost $800K each... so they aren't buying any ammo for their guns.

    Like I said... the Russians are well known for taking good ideas and solving problems without gold plating the solutions and making them affordable...
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 24369
    Points : 24911
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  GarryB on Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:27 am

    They are developing a range of autonomous terminal guidance seekers for missiles like Hermes and this new air to ground missile on the Mi-28NM... one assumes something like that could be fitted to larger calibre artillery too.
    RTN
    RTN

    Posts : 261
    Points : 240
    Join date : 2014-03-24
    Location : Fairfield, CT

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  RTN on Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:24 pm

    GarryB wrote:Note a CEP of 10m means a volley of shots fired by Coalition battery, means each gun could fire 6 or more shells at the target and all those shells will hit at once...

    CEP of 10m is not that great unless of course you are using 160mm, 180mm, 203mm and 240mm calibre shells. On the other hand Excalibur has a CEP < 4 meters. So a single 155mm shot ensures that the target is take out.

    BTW - Why is the Russian Army still using 160mm, 203mm and 240mm shells ? World has moved onto 155mm shells a long time ago. Makes perfect sense. You can use these shells with the M-777 light howitzers and PzH 2000 self propelled howitzers.

    GarryB wrote:And while the US is busting their budget with guided shells like the very expensive Excalibur... which costs 10 times more than Metis BTW,

    Granted that Excalibur is expensive. But why would you suggest that Russian GLONASS guided artillery shells will be much cheaper ?
    RTN
    RTN

    Posts : 261
    Points : 240
    Join date : 2014-03-24
    Location : Fairfield, CT

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  RTN on Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:38 pm

    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    GLONASS shells have existed since 2011, and they've been discussed in dozens of threads, and their 25 to 40 times cheaper than the US GPS equivalent shells.

    I could not find any thread dedicated to GLONASS guided artillery shell in this forum.

    Cheaper than US versions by 25 to 40 multiple ? That's not possible. Essentially the same tech. How come they are so cheap ?
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 24369
    Points : 24911
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  GarryB on Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:33 am

    CEP of 10m is not that great unless of course you are using 160mm, 180mm, 203mm and 240mm calibre shells. On the other hand Excalibur has a CEP < 4 meters. So a single 155mm shot ensures that the target is take out.

    It is going to be the standard fuse for their 152mm shells, so all standard and long range shells will get this level of performance.

    There are targets a single 155mm shell is not good enough to take out on its own.

    BTW - Why is the Russian Army still using 160mm, 203mm and 240mm shells ?

    Why is the US Army using M113s?

    They returned 203mm and 240mm calibre weapons for specific roles, and AFAIK the 160mm mortars have never left their mountain unit arsenals.

    World has moved onto 155mm shells a long time ago. Makes perfect sense.

    Why would Russia adopt a foreign calibre? Their 152mm calibre guns are fine.

    You can use these shells with the M-777 light howitzers and PzH 2000 self propelled howitzers.

    Russia doesn't have or make either of those.

    Granted that Excalibur is expensive. But why would you suggest that Russian GLONASS guided artillery shells will be much cheaper ?

    Because they revealed the price a few years ago and they are much much cheaper... the fuse system is about $1,000 which is 50-80 times cheaper than Excalibur... but Excalibur is a complete round, while the Russian system is a fuse and guidance system that can be attached to the nose of any 152mm calibre round.

    Cheaper than US versions by 25 to 40 multiple ? That's not possible. Essentially the same tech. How come they are so cheap ?

    They developed a way of controlling the shell without having to stop it from spinning, and it is not a complete round... it is a fuse and control surface kit that attaches to the nose fuse position of standard rounds.

    You can attach it to already produced 152mm rounds or any type.

    This is off topic BTW so will likely move some or all of it somewhere else.
    jhelb
    jhelb

    Posts : 864
    Points : 973
    Join date : 2015-04-04
    Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  jhelb on Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:18 pm

    ---


    Last edited by jhelb on Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:09 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Comment posted on the wrong thread, hence deleted)
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

    Posts : 4403
    Points : 4381
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  miketheterrible on Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:27 pm

    RTN wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    GLONASS shells have existed since 2011, and they've been discussed in dozens of threads, and their 25 to 40 times cheaper than the US GPS equivalent shells.

    I could not find any thread dedicated to GLONASS guided artillery shell in this forum.

    Cheaper than US versions by 25 to 40 multiple ? That's not possible. Essentially the same tech. How come they are so cheap ?

    Are you seriously asking this question?

    Think hard for a moment.

    No, the bombs aren't the same. Because one is made in Russia and one is made in USA. Tack on a multiplier for US made one vs Russian. Plus Glonass and GPS tracking devices are rather cheap these days.
    jhelb
    jhelb

    Posts : 864
    Points : 973
    Join date : 2015-04-04
    Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  jhelb on Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:12 pm

    GarryB wrote:They are developing a range of autonomous terminal guidance seekers for missiles like Hermes and this new air to ground missile on the Mi-28NM... one assumes something like that could be fitted to larger calibre artillery too.

    And will these missiles be GLONASS guided ?
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 24369
    Points : 24911
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  GarryB on Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:07 am

    There were plans to include Glonass in some of the seekers... the advantage of which is that a forward deployed unit could passively locate targets and pass their coordinates to HQ via the Ratnik super soldier system... with this information passed from HQ to a platform on the battlefield near those coordinates they could launch in this case a Hermes missile which will head to the target location... as it approaches it can turn on its TV or IIR seeker to find the target and then hit it directly. Or with a cheap optical guidance system it can look for a laser spot on the target from a nearby unit or UAV. Or it could scan with its MMW radar seeker and find the target and hit it that way.

    If the platform is a Coalition battery then firing off a salvo of cheap GLONASS guided shells... HQ could simply generate a grid around the target coordinates... which might be a platoon of enemy soldiers dug in to position or in buildings... the HQ creates a grid around that position with a 4m or 5m grid base and then order that Coalition battery to fire two rounds at each node of the grid all to impact at the same time, with airburst shells bursting at 2m altitudes for troops in the open or in open topped trenches, or delay fuses for buildings and trenches with roof cover...

    Excalibur would be far too expensive for such area targets because you will know the location and the extent of the trenches but you wont know where the people are, so you just need an even coverage on target to arrive together so there is no time to take cover.

    Once they take cover you will need thousands of rounds and days to get them all.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 4976
    Points : 5004
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:57 am


    Mi-35P Fenix - newest upgrade. Please note this one has again longer wings and retractable landing gear ! new materials, avionics and new composite rotor blades (not in first example tho). Also , “Vitebsk” is an onboard defense system option.





    BTW here the author claims that GSh-23 - twin barrel gun has muzzle velocity 750m/s not 715m/s as in wiki.

    https://topwar.ru/48532-otechestvennye-poslevoennye-aviacionnye-pushki-kalibra-23-mm-chast-ii.html
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 24369
    Points : 24911
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  GarryB on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:29 am

    It is probably an upgrade of an older model Hind that retains the old larger wing and retractable undercarriage...

    Regarding the 23mm nose mounted cannon, it might be new ammo with plastic driving bands on the shells that increases muzzle velocity... either way the difference is not enormous and would have little practical effect on its effect on ground targets... I would assume the aiming fire control system would compensate for the muzzle velocity so rounds will still impact on target... the main round is a HE Frag so a minor increase in muzzle velocity wont effect performance very much.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

    Posts : 3864
    Points : 3950
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  flamming_python on Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:36 pm

    GarryB wrote:It is probably an upgrade of an older model Hind that retains the old larger wing and retractable undercarriage...

    Regarding the 23mm nose mounted cannon, it might be new ammo with plastic driving bands on the shells that increases muzzle velocity... either way the difference is not enormous and would have little practical effect on its effect on ground targets... I would assume the aiming fire control system would compensate for the muzzle velocity so rounds will still impact on target... the main round is a HE Frag so a minor increase in muzzle velocity wont effect performance very much.

    It's an upgrade of the Mi-24P

    And I wonder if it's not the new VDV 'flying BMP' that there was talk about modifying a Mi-24 into
    The VDV's new air mobile brigades are slated to be equipped with Mi-35s to transport troops, conduct recon and provide fire-support.
    This aircraft compared to the Mi-35M seems to focus on lighter armament and long-range optics/visuals.
    Hole
    Hole

    Posts : 2787
    Points : 2787
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 44
    Location : Merkelland

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  Hole on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:50 pm

    It has the old wings, instead of missile rails it carries pods with sensors for the self-defence suit. Much better then the ugly covers on the cheeks of the Mi-35M.

    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 24369
    Points : 24911
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  GarryB on Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:39 am

    They tried Hinds for troop transport but found access in and out meant they spend too long sitting on the ground vulnerable... an Mi8/17/38 is a much bigger target but with better access from side and rear access points for the number of troops involved they are much better.

    The armed helos can then do what they do... prowl around daring the enemy to poke their heads up so they can cut them off.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

    Posts : 3864
    Points : 3950
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  flamming_python on Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:52 am

    GarryB wrote:They tried Hinds for troop transport but found access in and out meant they spend too long sitting on the ground vulnerable... an Mi8/17/38 is a much bigger target but with better access from side and rear access points for the number of troops involved they are much better.

    The armed helos can then do what they do... prowl around daring the enemy to poke their heads up so they can cut them off.

    I heard, but the VDV is still planning to use Mi-35s in the airborne IFV role
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 5771
    Points : 5922
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:47 am

    flamming_python wrote:
    GarryB wrote:They tried Hinds for troop transport but found access in and out meant they spend too long sitting on the ground vulnerable... an Mi8/17/38 is a much bigger target but with better access from side and rear access points for the number of troops involved they are much better.

    The armed helos can then do what they do... prowl around daring the enemy to poke their heads up so they can cut them off.

    I heard, but the VDV is still planning to use Mi-35s in the airborne IFV role
    I'd rather give that niche roll for the new Mi-38/Ka-62. Mi-24/35's 'troop' compartment to fit the transport role, I'd much rather have future modernizations focus on converting that compartment in to a belt feed/connect ammo storage, with the 57mm grenade launcher replacing the chin mounted gun. Not to be mistaken for the 57mm autocannon, the 57mm grenade launcher would have low enough recoil to be riggedly placed on the chin to be accurate enough for 3 round burst fire. Specially made shells could be made in to missiles, with laser guidance, should be absolutely devastating!
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

    Posts : 3873
    Points : 3869
    Join date : 2016-08-15
    Location : AZ, USA

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  Tsavo Lion on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:51 pm

    A good tribute to them: http://nvo.ng.ru/nvoevents/2020-02-19/100_200219news4.html?print=Y
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 5771
    Points : 5922
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:38 pm

    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

    Posts : 1693
    Points : 1873
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  d_taddei2 on Sun May 03, 2020 12:30 am

    i have always been a fan of the Hind Mi-24/35. I with new upgrades the aircraft has just got better and its got armour + EW protection. The main reason i like it is its versatility, it can be armed for any type of mission and has the bonus of being able to carry troops, stretchers, or cargo (both inside and underslung) it really is multirole helicopter. I think its the main reason why its still in service and why many poorer countries operate the helicopter, its like having 3 helicopters into one, (small heli transport/ combat heli/ medivac.) and when your armed forces budget is tight to me its the best choice for a small airforce. Of course some may argue its not, and although it doesnt perform the attack role as well as a Mi-28 does its still capable of doing the job, and the Mi-24/35 can carry troops/ stretchers insertion of special forces etc something the Mi-28 cant do. recently looking at type of weapons and combinations of what it can carry it really is a deadly aircraft. to put it into perspective see the following examples of whats its capable of raining down on the enemy below:

    S-5M1 (HE-FRAG producing 75 splinters) Hind can carry 128 rockets so that’s 9,600 splinters on a full launch of all 128 rockets that lethal for troops. Twisted Evil

    S-5MO (FRAG 20 notched steel rings producing 360 fragments) 128 rockets so that’s 46,080 fragments of full launch you certainly don’t want to be anywhere near the impact area.  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

    S-5SB (Flechette contains 1,000-1,100 40mm long flechettes) 128 rockets so that’s 128,000 – 140,800 flechetts welcome to becoming a human dart board.  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

    S-5KPB (HEAT FRAG 250mm RHA penetration) 128 rockets that could make a mess of a convoy of light armour. You also have the cheaper S-5K1 HEAT 130mm against RHA.

    S-5KOR a new rocket which is laser guided (0.8-1.8m CEP) 200mm RHA pen.

    So as you can see even the smallest rocket (range 3-4KM) available to the HIND is devastating, especially at soft skinned vehicles, convoy’s and infantry. Remember its harder to find cover from attacks from above than horizontal fire.


    S-8KOM (HEAT 400mm against RHA) HIND can carry total of 70-80 rockets, there is also a penetrator rocket 800mm Vs. reinforced concrete, and a Tandem HEAT 350-400mm Vs. RHA after ERA, all these would prove to be a nightmare for light armoured convoy such as APC, IFV, wheeled APC etc. most have a range of up to 4km apart from the new Broneboyshchik (HE FRAG PEN.) up to 6km. A laser guided version also available S-8KOR. Thermobaric rocket also available.

    S-13 (penetrator 3m of earth/dirt and 1m of reinforced concrete, runways 20m squared) Hind can carry 10 rockets although this still leaves space for two rocket pods for other weapons such as S-5 rockets. so you could in theory destroy 200m squared worth of runway.

    S-13T tandem HEAT (total penetration of 6m of earth/dirt and 1m of reinforced concrete)

    S-13OF (APAM FRAG produces 450 splinters weighing 25-35g each can penetrate APC, IFV light armour, HIND can carry 10 rockets so that’s total of 4,500 splinters/fragments that’s pretty lethal against armour. thermobaric rockets and laser guided S-13KOR also available.


    S-24 (with RV-24 fuse) Hind can carry 4 rockets (possibly 6 rockets) (plus will still be able to carry wingtip rockets and main gun) detonates a few meters above the ground with 4,000 fragments that will penetrate 25-30mm of armour and covering blast radius of 300-400m, so if all four were fired at same area you could have a 300-400m blast radius with a saturation of 16,000 fragments that can penetrate 25-30mm of armour, or whats better is firing rockets in a way as to create a large massive blast radius of minimum 1,200m across of course this would be fairly hard to get right but either way a large area will be saturated and light armour and troops will be in serious trouble.  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

    Of course this isn’t including the main gun 23-30mm cannon or wingtip missiles such as Shturm or Ataka, in which two can be carried in pairs on each wing tip. So the heli could be armed in a variety of ways depending on the mission. It can also carry various gun pods such as 12.7mm or 7.62mm gattling type guns, AGS systems can also be carried. If it was on a an anti armour/anti tank mission is could carry up to 20 Shturm / Ataka + 23mm or 30mm main gun that could be potentially 20 MBT taken out with one heli. But of course this is only on paper and the battlefield its totally different. And various combination can be done an almost endless list of variations.


    I remember mentions of ease of access getting on and off wasn’t great but that could easily be rectified with a wider opening and different doors etc. And maybe its possible a new version might be designed/upgraded for VDV in that role that was mentioned earlier in this thread.
    They could design a few version one with a drop off pod that slots into troop compartment could carr any number of supplies. Another version I think could be useful is a rocket pod system where the large rocket pod likely would carry around 4-6 times of a normal pod
    (S-5 for example) which could extend out of the sides of the helicopter (retractable) or a small bombing bay to drop dumb bombs could carry 5-6 KAB 250, or drop/scatter cluster type munitions anti personnel or anti armour bomblets/mines. Or even drop something similar to what smerch carries a cluster munition self-guided anti-tank dropping at height, or even a small rotary launcher or just extra pylons carrying more anti armour missiles, upgrades of these types would truly allow the hind to become a jack of all trades and be a truly multipurpose heli with increased uses, this could be useful for export to poorer countries giving them more functions or methods, and could even carry out certain missions that a fixed aircraft or MLRS would have to do. Of course if could only carry out such functions if the threat level made it available for it to do so.

    I dont think we will see a replace for the Hind for decades, although i do see a major upgraded version being designed with more versatility/multirole.
    avatar
    mnztr

    Posts : 319
    Points : 341
    Join date : 2018-01-21

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  mnztr on Sun May 03, 2020 2:35 am

    flamming_python wrote:
    GarryB wrote:They tried Hinds for troop transport but found access in and out meant they spend too long sitting on the ground vulnerable... an Mi8/17/38 is a much bigger target but with better access from side and rear access points for the number of troops involved they are much better.

    The armed helos can then do what they do... prowl around daring the enemy to poke their heads up so they can cut them off.

    I heard, but the VDV is still planning to use Mi-35s in the airborne IFV role

    Not a bad option for picking up a downed pilot if the LZ is not too hot and if you have a few other helos to supress the locals.
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 24369
    Points : 24911
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  GarryB on Sun May 03, 2020 11:29 am

    Magnum... if I was driving down that road and that Hind blew past I would sht myself and probably have an accident... what a vid...

    Of course some may argue its not, and although it doesnt perform the attack role as well as a Mi-28 does its still capable of doing the job, and the Mi-24/35 can carry troops/ stretchers insertion of special forces etc something the Mi-28 cant do.

    The old model Hinds didn't have any capacity to determine range to target so rocket fire and gun fire was very much a hit and miss affair.

    Current models with new EO balls with laser rangefinders and thermal imagers and digital video sensors dramatically improve the Hinds ability to deliver rocket and gun fire and it is much more capable.

    They initially tried to use the Hind as a sort of cross between a pure attack helo and a transport helo... a bit like a cross between an Mi-28 and an Mi-8, but they found that its fire power was useless while it was on the ground and just having side doors meant getting into and out of it was much slower... meaning more time on the ground and vulnerable despite its much better armour than the Mi-8.

    For police or special forces use it is flexible and capable, but as a troop transport they found it was better to put troops in an Mi-8 or Mi-17 and have fewer troop transports and more attack aircraft... an Mi-17 would fly in and launch 6 pods worth of 57mm rockets and then touch down and take on or drop off troops from each side and the rear ramp doors and then leave while armed helos flew around shooting at anything that tried to interfere. One thing the Hind is useful for is carrying extra ammo in the rear so in a quiet place you can dot down and reload some rockets or ATGMs.

    The new model Hinds have similar pylon level weaponry to the Mi-28 and I actually think the twin barrel 23mm cannon actually suits its role much better than the much more powerful 30mm cannon the other helos carry. The round is compact so lots of rounds can be carried.... it is essentially a HMG like round of low velocity but a much better HE payload than any HMG round. If they needed armour piercing rounds an APFSDS round would be rather potent I would think against most light vehicles. Much like a SLAP round for a 14.5mm gun but with more case capacity.

    The main reason they dropped the 57mm rockets was because of its limited capacity, but I rather suspect Laser guided versions and in fact a decent ballistic computer and laser range finding of the current model Hinds would significantly improve accuracy and performance.

    Will be interesting to see if they revive the 57mm calibre rockets with these new box shaped rocket pods as well as the 80mm and 122mm rockets.

    There are other rockets as well, for instance the S-8PM which deploys a chaff cloud in front of the aircraft to fool radar guided weapon and sensors, and there is also the S-8TsM which is a smoke rocket for marking targets or landing zones on the ground. The S-8OM is an illumination rocket which delivers two illumination flares to a range of 4 to 4.5km that burn for about 30 seconds.. The fuel air explosive rocket is the S-8DM which contains 2.5kg of mixture with the effect of about 6kgs of HE.

    The S-13 is the anti runway rocket, but the S-13T is supposed to penetrate hardened aircraft shelters and then send fragments inside to destroy aircraft... so the idea is that if an F-16 is inside a 1m concrete hangar with 6m of dirt on top... this missile will punch through the 6m of dirt and then blow a hole through the 1m of concrete and send an explosive inside to send fragments and flames inside to damage the aircraft inside.

    Also you forgot the S-25... the S-25O and S-25OFM are basically rockets with a body diameter of 266mm that is launched from a tube with a head diameter of 420mm (O) or 340mm (OFM). It is a bit like an aircraft carried RPG-7 with the warhead being a 150kg bomb direct fired at the target.

    For extra range and precision the S-25L is the laser guided model with a nose mounted laser seeker and control fins...

    If they do have plans to use an upgraded Hind as an airborne APC then there is plenty of scope to modify its design... add a rear ramp door for a start and a shift around of internal bits and pieces.

    There was criticism in the afghan war about them beign shot at from behind after they flew through an area... specifically suggesting a tail gun... well with new examples of RWS on armoured vehicles how hard would it be to mount a rear facing 50 cal gatling with tons of internal ammo... or perhaps a 40mm grenade launcher perhaps...

    The Hind is fairly unique and has plenty of potential... later models with compact wings with the same wing armament as the Mi-28 is interesting too... but I could imagine a revised rear area with a rear ramp but also a pusher propeller for higher speeds and perhaps more turret mounted guns for suppressive fire in any direction...
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

    Posts : 1693
    Points : 1873
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  d_taddei2 on Sun May 03, 2020 12:42 pm

    GarryB wrote:Magnum... if I was driving down that road and that Hind blew past I would sht myself and probably have an accident... what a vid...

    Of course some may argue its not, and although it doesnt perform the attack role as well as a Mi-28 does its still capable of doing the job, and the Mi-24/35 can carry troops/ stretchers insertion of special forces etc something the Mi-28 cant do.

    The old model Hinds didn't have any capacity to determine range to target so rocket fire and gun fire was very much a hit and miss affair.

    Current models with new EO balls with laser rangefinders and thermal imagers and digital video sensors dramatically improve the Hinds ability to deliver rocket and gun fire and it is much more capable.

    They initially tried to use the Hind as a sort of cross between a pure attack helo and a transport helo... a bit like a cross between an Mi-28 and an Mi-8, but they found that its fire power was useless while it was on the ground and just having side doors meant getting into and out of it was much slower... meaning more time on the ground and vulnerable despite its much better armour than the Mi-8.

    For police or special forces use it is flexible and capable, but as a troop transport they found it was better to put troops in an Mi-8 or Mi-17 and have fewer troop transports and more attack aircraft... an Mi-17 would fly in and launch 6 pods worth of 57mm rockets and then touch down and take on or drop off troops from each side and the rear ramp doors and then leave while armed helos flew around shooting at anything that tried to interfere. One thing the Hind is useful for is carrying extra ammo in the rear so in a quiet place you can dot down and reload some rockets or ATGMs.

    The new model Hinds have similar pylon level weaponry to the Mi-28 and I actually think the twin barrel 23mm cannon actually suits its role much better than the much more powerful 30mm cannon the other helos carry. The round is compact so lots of rounds can be carried.... it is essentially a HMG like round of low velocity but a much better HE payload than any HMG round. If they needed armour piercing rounds an APFSDS round would be rather potent I would think against most light vehicles. Much like a SLAP round for a 14.5mm gun but with more case capacity.

    The main reason they dropped the 57mm rockets was because of its limited capacity, but I rather suspect Laser guided versions and in fact a decent ballistic computer and laser range finding of the current model Hinds would significantly improve accuracy and performance.

    Will be interesting to see if they revive the 57mm calibre rockets with these new box shaped rocket pods as well as the 80mm and 122mm rockets.

    There are other rockets as well, for instance the S-8PM which deploys a chaff cloud in front of the aircraft to fool radar guided weapon and sensors, and there is also the S-8TsM which is a smoke rocket for marking targets or landing zones on the ground. The S-8OM is an illumination rocket which delivers two illumination flares to a range of 4 to 4.5km that burn for about 30 seconds.. The fuel air explosive rocket is the S-8DM which contains 2.5kg of mixture with the effect of about 6kgs of HE.

    The S-13 is the anti runway rocket, but the S-13T is supposed to penetrate hardened aircraft shelters and then send fragments inside to destroy aircraft... so the idea is that if an F-16 is inside a 1m concrete hangar with 6m of dirt on top... this missile will punch through the 6m of dirt and then blow a hole through the 1m of concrete and send an explosive inside to send fragments and flames inside to damage the aircraft inside.

    Also you forgot the S-25... the S-25O and S-25OFM are basically rockets with a body diameter of 266mm that is launched from a tube with a head diameter of 420mm (O) or 340mm (OFM). It is a bit like an aircraft carried RPG-7 with the warhead being a 150kg bomb direct fired at the target.

    For extra range and precision the S-25L is the laser guided model with a nose mounted laser seeker and control fins...

    If they do have plans to use an upgraded Hind as an airborne APC then there is plenty of scope to modify its design... add a rear ramp door for a start and a shift around of internal bits and pieces.

    There was criticism in the afghan war about them beign shot at from behind after they flew through an area... specifically suggesting a tail gun... well with new examples of RWS on armoured vehicles how hard would it be to mount a rear facing 50 cal gatling with tons of internal ammo... or perhaps a 40mm grenade launcher perhaps...

    The Hind is fairly unique and has plenty of potential... later models with compact wings with the same wing armament as the Mi-28 is interesting too... but I could imagine a revised rear area with a rear ramp but also a pusher propeller for higher speeds and perhaps more turret mounted guns for suppressive fire in any direction...

    Quite agree on a few points, I didn't forget the S-25 but didn't include as the post was already long and the variety offered in it was many and didn't see the need to include. As I said having a storage pod design that could slot in and out could easily be designed to come out of the back. So as troop transport u have rear doors but u also have added advantage of being able to slot in some kind of pod carrying extra ammo, dumb bombs dropped out of the rear or as mentioned some pods of extra tickets that could extend out of the sides to increase the rocket count. You imagine having and extra 6 pods of S-5 (128 rockets + 192 rockets) using splinter or steel ring frag rockets that's a lot of fragments/shrapnel flying around and if it was flechette rockets that's a monsoon of a hail of darts (upto 352,000)

    Sponsored content

    Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News - Page 6 Empty Re: Mi-24/Mi-35M Hinds: News

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed May 27, 2020 1:02 am