Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


+55
slasher
marcellogo
Rodion_Romanovic
LMFS
Isos
mnztr
Cheetah
Hole
calripson
Big_Gazza
hoom
Kimppis
PapaDragon
miketheterrible
kopyo-21
AMCXXL
JohninMK
Grazneyar
Pincus Shain
jaguar_br
KiloGolf
SeigSoloyvov
bantaa
x_54_u43
eridan
veeta
nastle77
d_taddei2
Giulio
AlfaT8
nemrod
Berkut
Svyatoslavich
max steel
Alex555
franco
Dorfmeister
Cyberspec
Battalion0415
redgiacomo
magnumcromagnon
flamming_python
Flanky
sepheronx
Werewolf
zg18
George1
mack8
indochina
GarryB
medo
TR1
Viktor
Stealthflanker
Admin
59 posters

    Su-27: News

    avatar
    bantaa


    Posts : 1
    Points : 3
    Join date : 2016-06-14

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Do you know?

    Post  bantaa Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:00 pm

    Perhaps, this news from Mil.Today shed some light... Russian Defense Ministry suspends flights of Su-27 fighters until clarification of causes of the air crash happened Thursday morning, June 9, in Moscow Region.
    Shocked
    The Russian military authority reports that, according to preliminary data, the jet crash was caused by a technical failure. The pilot did everything possible to drive the aircraft away from an inhabited locality, so had no time for catapulting.

    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov


    Posts : 2645
    Points : 2631
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  SeigSoloyvov Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:33 pm

    bantaa wrote:Perhaps, this news from Mil.Today shed some light... Russian Defense Ministry suspends flights of Su-27 fighters until clarification of causes of the air crash happened Thursday morning, June 9, in Moscow Region.
    Shocked
    The Russian military authority reports that, according to preliminary data, the jet crash was caused by a technical failure. The pilot did everything possible to drive the aircraft away from an inhabited locality, so had no time for catapulting.


    That so, a noble death for that man then. He died a hero what more can be said.
    Flanky
    Flanky


    Posts : 187
    Points : 192
    Join date : 2011-05-02
    Location : Slovakia

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  Flanky Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:06 am

    Pisses me off... They lost Tkachenko by pilot error and now they lost another one because of technical failure?
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf


    Posts : 2496
    Points : 2482
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  KiloGolf Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:17 am

    Flanky wrote:Pisses me off... They lost Tkachenko by pilot error and now they lost another one because of technical failure?

    It happens, fast jets fall out of the sky more often than you'd think.
    The US had a terrible last week.
    franco
    franco


    Posts : 4736
    Points : 4768
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  franco Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:49 pm

    MOSCOW, July 3 -. RIA Novosti Deputy Defense Minister Yuri Borisov on Sunday inspected the Komsomolsk-on-Amur Aircraft Plant named after Yuri Gagarin on the fulfillment of the state defense order in 2016, the press-service management and department information.

    Borisov inspected the plant production capacity and familiar with the manufacturing process fighter Su-35S. The deputy head of the Ministry of Defence showed the assembly plant and the manufacturing process Sukhoi PAK FA (PAK FA).
    "Komsomolsk-on-Amur aviation plant - a leading aircraft manufacturer of frontline aviation We checked the performance of the plant state order in 2016 and are very pleased with the progress of this work at the moment almost all the aircraft are in final assembly shop and it gives us confidence that the... until November 25, all plans GOZ-2016 will be fulfilled ", - the press-service Borisov words.
    In 2015, he was awarded the contract for the modernization of four Su-27, which will be delivered to the Ministry of Defense in 2017. As part of the Sukhoi PAK FA is the realization of an experimental batch of T-50 aircraft, serial contract that will be concluded in 2017 with the delivery dates in 2018.

    Su-27 - the Russian multi-purpose highly mobile all-weather fighter-interceptor. Intended for long-range and short-range air combat, interception and destruction of manned and unmanned aircraft over its territory and ensure the actions of naval forces at a distance of 300-400 kilometers from the coastline.
    T-50 (PAK FA project) - Russia's fifth generation fighter aircraft equipped with a fundamentally new avionics suite and promising radar with a phased antenna array. The first flight took place in 2010 in Komsomolsk-on-Amur, the first public display of fighter aircraft - in 2011 at the Aviation and Space Salon MAKS in Zhukovsky near Moscow.



    Take it that the 4 Su-27 under modernization are part of the 36 Su-27P being rebuilt to Su-27SM3 standards. First deliveries were to be in 2017.

    Also confirming serial production of the T-50 (which will soon need a Su designation) starts in 2017 with deliveries in 2018.
    avatar
    jaguar_br


    Posts : 35
    Points : 37
    Join date : 2015-03-07

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  jaguar_br Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:52 pm

    I've read that Su-27SM/SM3 uses N001 radar.

    In my opinion, the new SM3 should use at least the N011 version, since the cockpit devices are modern.
    medo
    medo


    Posts : 4310
    Points : 4394
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  medo Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:19 pm

    Su-27SM/SM3 use N001VEP radar with air to air, air to ground and air to sea modes, which is still very capable radar and good enough for modernized Su-27 jets.
    avatar
    Pincus Shain


    Posts : 10
    Points : 12
    Join date : 2016-07-31

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  Pincus Shain Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:33 pm

    medo wrote:Su-27SM/SM3 use N001VEP radar with air to air, air to ground and air to sea modes, which is still very capable radar and good enough for modernized Su-27 jets.

    The Panda version no? Can detect 5m^2 target at 190km and engage 6 at once?
    sepheronx
    sepheronx


    Posts : 7085
    Points : 7351
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 32
    Location : Canada

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  sepheronx Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:42 pm

    No. I don't think Panda antenna was ever made.

    N001VEP apparently can detect upwards to 200km range according to a source medo posted from a Venezuelan source of the Su-30's they use.
    George1
    George1


    Posts : 17251
    Points : 17762
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  George1 Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:23 pm

    Two Su-27SMs collided at the Khotilovo airport

    Su-27: News - Page 7 3816442_original

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2344196.html
    Isos
    Isos


    Posts : 8463
    Points : 8447
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  Isos Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:44 pm

    George1 wrote:Two Su-27SMs collided at the Khotilovo airport

    Su-27: News - Page 7 3816442_original

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2344196.html

    In 9 months, they will have 2 beautifull Mig-35 love lol1
    Grazneyar
    Grazneyar


    Posts : 39
    Points : 39
    Join date : 2016-04-12

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  Grazneyar Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:18 pm

    Is there any news on the pilot ? Did he get out ok ? Taking an impact on the canopy right where the pilot sits could be bad news if the canopy broke.

    Edit: It looks like he is still in the plane and the canopy is intact. He probably was a bit heavy with the throttle on the ice.
    George1
    George1


    Posts : 17251
    Points : 17762
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  George1 Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:01 pm

    Su-27 and Su-27SMs of Belbek 38th Fighter Regiment , Crimea

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2363426.html

    JohninMK
    JohninMK


    Posts : 9745
    Points : 9868
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  JohninMK Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:58 am

    The photographs below were taken from Tikaboo Valley, near Groom Lake, Nevada, by Phil Drake, who was lucky enough to observe one of the U.S. military’s Su-27P Flanker-Bs dogfighting with an F-16 — presumably one of the four Groom Lake based -D models — in the skies above Area 51.

    Although the quality of the pictures is low — the aircraft were flying between 20,000 and 30,000 feet — they are extremely interesting since the Flankers operating from Groom are not a secret but have rarely been photographed.

    The Su-27s have been previously documented in 2003–2004 and more recently between 2012 and 2014.


    https://theaviationist.com/2017/01/06/these-crazy-photos-show-a-russian-su-27-flanker-dogfighting-with-a-u-s-air-force-f-16-inside-area-51/
    George1
    George1


    Posts : 17251
    Points : 17762
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  George1 Thu May 25, 2017 10:28 am

    Russia's legendary Su-27 jet fighter marks the 40th anniversary of its first flight

    More:
    http://tass.com/defense/947321
    George1
    George1


    Posts : 17251
    Points : 17762
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  George1 Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:26 pm

    Su-27SM3 in Syria

    Su-27: News - Page 7 4413372_original

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2693974.html
    AMCXXL
    AMCXXL


    Posts : 547
    Points : 547
    Join date : 2017-08-08

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  AMCXXL Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:54 am

    GarryB wrote:My understanding was that the P in Su-27P was for interceptor for PVO units, while standard frontal aviation units had fighters designated S.
    AFAIK they even had different systems so the R-27ER and ET missiles that the PVO used were not the same as the R-27ER and ET missiles the Frontal Aviation used.
    The PVO tended to use datalinks rather more.

    The Su-27P are the latest batch´s of Su-27, after 1989 or so, from 29-XX series to 37-xx in 1993-4 +/-
    ALso , several Su-27S got the "P" new skills, but basically the difference is simply: was made later , with inprovements learned of the operational use of the firsts

    The Su-27 with MiG-31 and others like older Mig-25 , Mig-23, etc... , was part of USSR PVO forces (air defence forces) while the most Mig-29 , not all , was part of VVS or Air Force (frontal aviation) combined in divisions with Su-24 , Su-25  , Mig-27 , Su-22 and older planes
    Just look some regiments of East  in 80´s (22º,47º,60º)   http://www.ww2.dk/new/pvo/11oapvo.htm
    I think Su-27 was out of PVO mainly outside the USSR,  in outstanding forces in other countries of Warsaw Pact

    The Su-27 was designed basically as superiority fighter, the ground attack capability (FGA) for become "multirole figther" was added with the SU-27SM modernization

    franco wrote:More Su-27SM's to Besovet. According to this article there where only 45 -27SM's left, 2 at Ahtubinsk, 10 at Belbek, 18 at Dzemgi and that would leave 15 at Uglovaya. Those at Dzemgi being moved to Besovet.
    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1798441.html
    franco wrote:There still could be 5 Su-27SM's at Lipetsk making 50, as this article doesn't mention any aircraft at Lipetsk. It just breaks down the status of the original 48 at Dzemgi and Uglovaya, when you think about it. And an article from last year mentioned 5 -27SM's at Lipetsk

    About the number of Su-27SM , was made 54
    -One for Akhtubinsk as head of series, that later was transformed in "prototype" of SM3
    -5 for Lipestk , which are out of service because are much older than the other, and once that Sukhoi squadron of Lipestk only has Su-30/35
    -48 for two regiments (22 and 23 IAP)

    Each regiment lost one plane in accidents , so probably remains 46
    One plane of Vladivostok Nº 07 had bad landing because of the front landing gear , and touched the runway with the "nose"
    I suppose bmpd , or the site from which he takes the information ,it discounts this plane.
    I think the plane could fly if it is repaired, or perhaps is cheaper modernise other Su-27 in good shape than repair this one after many time unused
    Su-27: News - Page 7 53279d10



    Su-27: News - Page 7 597f5710
    https://russianplanes.net/id213606
    https://russianplanes.net/id215238

    In late July , 5 Su-27SM of Dzemgi , including Nº 85 and 90  travel to West , 2 for complete the squadron of Besovets and 3 for Khotilovo
    Also 2 planes of Vladivostok , Nº09 and Nº27 was seen in the way for West , probably for complete the squadron of Khotilovo

    Now , should have:
    3 squadrons in Belbek , Besovets , and Khotilovo , 36 planes
    10 remain in 22º(5), 23º(2) & Akhtubisnk(3), excluding the "prototype". Other squadron could be raised up, just adding two of the better Su-27P remaining now and change for a couple of extra Su-27SM3 later

    medo wrote:Interesting. Where are the rest of Su-27SM? they produce 53 Su-27SM, 5 for Lipetsk and 48 for Dzemgi and Uglovaya. they lost 2 in crashes, so 6 were somewhere. I think they will quite soon send all their Su-27SM and Su-30M2 in Belbek and Besovets as they are getting replaced by Su-35 and Su-30SM in Dzemgi and Uglovaya. For now, they have enough Su-30M2 for existing Su-27SM/SM3 units. 12 in Krymsk together with 12 new built Su-27SM3 to form a combined regiment and 4 in Belbek and 4 in Besovets to form regiments with Su-27SM from Dzemgi and Uglovaya. Bit for 36 more Su-27SM3 they will need at least 6 more Su-30M2 or 16 if they will make another combined regiment with 12 Su-27SM3 and 12 Su-30M2. I don't think those additional Su-27SM3 will be without twin seaters.

    SU-30M2 production line was closed after the Nº89 and 90 blues of Belbek. Su-30M2 is for training, is only a improved Su-27UB (Su-30=Su-27PU)
    -Dzemgi have 4 Su-30SM and 2 Su-30M2 as "two seater" and I think this is the model
    -Vladivostok have 2 SU-30SM (only one Su-35 sq. now) and 4 SU-30M2 that will be not necesary when regiment was completed with other sq. of 12 SU-35 and 2 Su-30SM. I think only will remain 2 "M2"
    When Su-27 squadrons change to Su-35 ,some Su-30M2 will go to training bases like Astrakhan and Kuschevskaya (Krasnodar Flying School) , that now has Sqdn, of 8 SU-27UB+2 Su-27S
    I think when all Su-35 regiments are complete with their Su-30SM , the 20 Su-30M2 should be in Astrakhan ( 12 ) and in Kuschevskaya ( 8 )

    In westen Su-27 regiments, by end of 2020, each regiment should have one sqdn. of new Su-35 (40 or more will received 2017-20) and other sqdn. of modernized Su-27SM  (as Besovets will get now) except Krymsk  that will have sqdn. of new Su-27SM3 + sqdn. modernized Su-27SM3.
    In this way each western Su-27/35 regiment will have brand new and modernized squadrons each and it will not take so long to make the transition and have new planes in all Military Districts
    All Su-27SM/SM3 should be replaced after 2020,also for Su-35. The Su-27SM/SM3 only "cover the gap" until the Su-35

    I think Putin wanted to open a airbase with 24 Su-27SM3 in Belarus at Baranovichi, but Lukashenko don´t wants and Belarus will get Su-30SM now, so only is necesary one dozen of Su-27SM3
    If Russia do not open other regiment (Kilp Yarv, Chkalovsk-Kaliningrad ,  etc...) , I think Su-27SM3 is only necesary at Krymsk now


    Last edited by AMCXXL on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:56 am; edited 2 times in total
    avatar
    kopyo-21


    Posts : 207
    Points : 209
    Join date : 2013-08-21
    Location : Bangkok - Thailand

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  kopyo-21 Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:45 am

    Some months ago, there was a news talking about upgrading Su-27s to Su-27SM3 (that have been newly built sofar) instead of Su-27SM. Do you have any update on that?
    medo
    medo


    Posts : 4310
    Points : 4394
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  medo Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:40 pm

    kopyo-21 wrote:Some months ago, there was a news talking about upgrading Su-27s to Su-27SM3 (that have been newly built sofar) instead of Su-27SM. Do you have any update on that?

    Contract to modernize 36 Su-27 to Su-27SM3 standard was signed and the first group of Su-27 jets is now in KNAAPO, where they are going through modernization. Unfortunately there is no info, when they will be finished and delivered back to RuAF.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible


    Posts : 6582
    Points : 6556
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  miketheterrible Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:16 pm

    There are a lot of Su-27's in reserve and what not in Russia. Upgrading them all with latest electronics and capabilities to be able to defeat modern American aircraft is ideal and probably very cheap to do.
    avatar
    kopyo-21


    Posts : 207
    Points : 209
    Join date : 2013-08-21
    Location : Bangkok - Thailand

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  kopyo-21 Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:37 pm

    Thank you Medo.
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf


    Posts : 2496
    Points : 2482
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  KiloGolf Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:28 pm

    miketheterrible wrote:There are a lot of Su-27's in reserve and what not in Russia.  Upgrading them all with latest electronics and capabilities to be able to defeat modern American aircraft is ideal and probably very cheap to do.

    What's good about them is that many are mid-80s up to early-90s builds. They flew very little in the 90s and 00s. So their air-frames have a two decade breathing room compared to, say.. F-15E in USAF. Russia should use every single one of them as they are still top of the line jets.

    It's a pity Ukraine ended up with quite a lot of them after USSR collapsed.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible


    Posts : 6582
    Points : 6556
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  miketheterrible Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:01 pm

    KiloGolf wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote:There are a lot of Su-27's in reserve and what not in Russia.  Upgrading them all with latest electronics and capabilities to be able to defeat modern American aircraft is ideal and probably very cheap to do.

    What's good about them is that many are mid-80s up to early-90s builds. They flew very little in the 90s and 00s. So their air-frames have a two decade breathing room compared to, say.. F-15E in USAF. Russia should use every single one of them as they are still top of the line jets.

    It's a pity Ukraine ended up with quite a lot of them after USSR collapsed.

    Exactly. Upgrading them would prove to be much useful and cheap. Which means a lot of money saved can then be poured into building newer jets like Su-57.

    As for Ukraine, they left them to be dilapidated and so many of them are barely flyable and capable.
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf


    Posts : 2496
    Points : 2482
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  KiloGolf Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:35 pm

    miketheterrible wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote:There are a lot of Su-27's in reserve and what not in Russia.  Upgrading them all with latest electronics and capabilities to be able to defeat modern American aircraft is ideal and probably very cheap to do.

    What's good about them is that many are mid-80s up to early-90s builds. They flew very little in the 90s and 00s. So their air-frames have a two decade breathing room compared to, say.. F-15E in USAF. Russia should use every single one of them as they are still top of the line jets.

    It's a pity Ukraine ended up with quite a lot of them after USSR collapsed.

    Exactly.  Upgrading them would prove to be much useful and cheap.  Which means a lot of money saved can then be poured into building newer jets like Su-57.

    As for Ukraine, they left them to be dilapidated and so many of them are barely flyable and capable.

    Since Russia undertook all the USSR debt and responsibilities, they should have withdrawn and kept all top notch equipment. Su-27, MiG-29, Su-25, Mi-24P are among some good examples. Third world republics like Uzbekistan got to have Flankers for free. Kazakhstan and even Belarus (that sold frickin Flankers to USA in the 90s).

    Anyhow, Russia's policy on Flanker consolidation is 100% right on the money.
    franco
    franco


    Posts : 4736
    Points : 4768
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  franco Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:47 pm

    medo wrote:
    kopyo-21 wrote:Some months ago, there was a news talking about upgrading Su-27s to Su-27SM3 (that have been newly built sofar) instead of Su-27SM. Do you have any update on that?

    Contract to modernize 36 Su-27 to Su-27SM3 standard was signed and the first group of Su-27 jets is now in KNAAPO, where they are going through modernization. Unfortunately there is no info, when they will be finished and delivered back to RuAF.


    Planned for delivery of first 4 this year.

    Sponsored content


    Su-27: News - Page 7 Empty Re: Su-27: News

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:28 am