Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+52
BlackArrow
macedonian
RTN
VladimirSahin
Morpheus Eberhardt
Vann7
DostoevskyRasputin
Sujoy
KomissarBojanchev
Werewolf
etaepsilonk
JPJ
magnumcromagnon
zg18
volna
ahmedfire
Vympel
Cpt Caz
Hachimoto
sepheronx
xeno
Regular
collegeboy16
AlfaT8
Shadåw
ricky123
medo
Cyberspec
SWAT Pointman
Mindstorm
AZZKIKR
Zivo
Pugnax
AJ-47
Dima
TheArmenian
flamming_python
George1
Mr.Kalishnikov47
ali.a.r
runaway
TR1
Russian Patriot
Viktor
nightcrawler
Austin
Flanky
GarryB
IronsightSniper
Serbia Forever 2
Andy_Wiz
Admin
56 posters

Russian Ground Forces: News #1

Viktor
    Viktor

Russian Ground Forces: News #1 - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

Post  Viktor Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Ratnik sytem explained wigh eng. subtitles. Interesting stuff.

SWAT Pointman

Russian Ground Forces: News #1 - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

Post  SWAT Pointman Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Thanks for the English version. The shaxin will certainly increases the soldier's combat effectiveness in the field. The hosts gun safety skills are terrible. The guy said the new AK-74 with rails and new buttstock weighs 5kg! That's quite heavy for an assault rifle with no optics. Perhaps they'll reduce the weight when they further refine it. The Penecheg seems to be rather difficult to control according to the host. The Ratnik seems very ambitious, I hope it will actually get issued. No other country is close as Russia is to fielding such a system to my knowledge.
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:27 am

SWAT Pointman wrote: The hosts gun safety skills are terrible.

Seriously. It's a bit troubling that the commander made no attempts to stop him when he pointed a loaded weapon at his film crew.

The guy said the new AK-74 with rails and new buttstock weighs 5kg! That's quite heavy for an assault rifle with no optics. Perhaps they'll reduce the weight when they further refine it.

It is very heavy for what it is. 5 kg is equal to about 11 lb. A loaded AK-74M weighs about 3.63 kg, which is a little over 8 lb. This means the rails and new buttstock add an additional 1.37 kg, which is close to 3 lb. That new thermal scope will add even more weight. Quite a dramatic increase in weight if you ask me. Whether it's worth it or not is up to those testing it.

The AK-12 on the other hand is said to weigh 3.53 kg loaded , which is about 7.8 pounds.

The Penecheg seems to be rather difficult to control according to the host.

Well it's a 7.62x54 machine gun. They aren't an easy weapon to control. That's why you're suppose to limit yourself to short bursts instead of firing the entire belt in one go.

Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Russian Ground Forces: News #1 - Page 19 Empty Special robotics and mechatronics (Prospective Engineer Equipment)

Post  Cyberspec Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:53 am

Some interesting stuff...

Department of CM4-4 Special robotics and mechatronics
    http://niism.bmstu.ru/otdelyi-nii-sm/sm4-4

http://gurkhan.blogspot.in/2013/01/blog-post_2718.html
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:55 am

Thanks for posting... very interesting.

This sort of stuff would be very useful in Chernobyl and Fukushima.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:26 pm

http://twower.livejournal.com/961307.html

NO MORE LYNX WILL BE BOUGHT!
    WOOO!

Current contract will be completed (it is almost done), and no more will be signed after.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:25 pm

TR1 wrote:http://twower.livejournal.com/898732.html

Very very interesting. MOD published tenders to be assigned this month, regarding modernization and repair of vehicles, with the maximum cost for each individual tender.

The most eye catching stuff:

-145 BMP-2 to have capital overhaul, plus communications+ radio modernization. 48 million USD.
    -134 BTR-80 to be modernized to BTR-82AM. 90 million USD.
    -105 MT-LB capremont and modernized with Kord and new radios. 26 million USD.
    -101 T-72B modernized. 170 million USD. This is believed to be the T-72B2 (Rogatka) due to price.

More numbers, among the MOD orders for 2013:

http://twower.livejournal.com/960935.html

Including what I wrote in that above post:

-New patrol boat of sub-2000 ton size.
    -145 BMD-1 modernized to BMD-2 level. 76 million USD.
    -32 YR-77 mine-clearing vehicles to go through capremont. 2.5 million USD.
    -61 PTS-2 amphibious vehicles to go through capremont. 7 million USD.
    -23 MDK-3 trench-digging vehicles to go through capremont. 6.5 million USD.
    -58 IMR-2 engineering vehicles to go through capremont. 9 million USD.
    -15 T-90 to undergo medium repair. 11 million USD (expensive repair! )
    -15 BMP-3 to undergo medium repair. 9 million USD.
    -30 BREM-1 evacuation vehicles to go through capremont. 17.5 million USD.
    -30 BTR-D family vehicles to go through capremont. 4.5 million USD.
    -34 BMD-2 to go through capremont. 6 million USD.
    -Frigates Ladny and Pitlivy to be repaired for 16.5 million USD.
    -3 An-140 for 65 million USD.
    -7 AW-139.
    -30 Taifun-Y mine-protected vehicles. 36 million USD.
    -10 Rakushka. 1 million USD per vehicle.
    -10 BMD-4M. 2 million USD per vehicle.
    -50 million USD worth of rifles and ammo (sniper weapons apparently).
    SWAT Pointman

Post  SWAT Pointman Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:57 pm

A shame they aren't spending any money on rifle upgrades.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:08 am

SWAT Pointman wrote:A shame they aren't spending any money on rifle upgrades.

Keep in mind, the list I x-lated is not all encompassing.
    Just whats open, right now.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:10 am

When the Russian military was looking at the Lynx there was little in the way of a domestic alternative, which means that any problems with the Lynx could be overlooked because it offers much better protection compared with a UAZ or even BRDM-2 which is what it will be used for.

Now however there are decent domestic alternatives that while they are certainly not perfect and could use a little improvement that comes with being in service and having the design improved over time and small problems dealt with, they seem to be up to the job at hand.

I very much suspect the domestic vehicles will end up in Russian service and the few hundred Lynx vehicles already made will likely go to Sochi for the olympics, and then likely be handed over to the new military police forces that will rarely go off road anyway.

The Lynx might be produced in Russia for third party countries that Italy can't sell vehicles to for political reasons, but I don't think the Russian military will use a large number of them.

Regarding upgraded rifles, they haven't really finished proper testing yet, so I doubt they will make any serious orders for a period.

Having said that the Pecheneg (PKP) will likely be bought in numbers for the LMG role within Russian forces, and they will likely buy more pistols and other light arms to update existing stocks.

They have tested the AK12 and identified problems... I suspect the makers will be given 6 months to a year to deal with those problems identified and then give the weapon another test.

The problems they found will highlight to the makers what the Army is looking for in a new rifle I suspect, so the AK12M should be even more of what the Russian Army is looking for.

Of course they could do a lot worse than just keep the old AK-74M which has proven its effectiveness for the last few decades anyway.

New weapons to enter service likely will include new SMGs, new pistols, new model semi auto and bolt action 30 cal sniper rifles and new larger calibre sniper rifles, the real question is... will they look at introducing the new automatic grenade launchers in 40mm calibre... and if they do does that mean a new 40mm grenade round for the existing 40mm under barrel grenade launchers too in a unified design. Also will they keep the 7.62 x 54mmR calibre or adopt something new?
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:13 am

30 Taifun-Y mine-protected vehicles

Is the Taifun entering service early? It wasn't suppose to until next year according to earlier reports if I remember correctly.

And I notice the VDV is getting a lot of love Cool
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 am

http://vsegost.com/Data/72/7249/4.gif

If someone is interested in Russian GOST armor levels....
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:37 pm

-145 BMD-1 modernized to BMD-2 level. 76 million USD.
    -34 BMD-2 to go through capremont. 6 million USD.
    -10 Rakushka. 1 million USD per vehicle.
    -10 BMD-4M. 2 million USD per vehicle.

Indeed, lots of love for the DVD.

-30 Taifun-Y mine-protected vehicles. 36 million USD.
    These will go to the units in the Caucasus who are located in the areas where Islamist terrorist still exist. 30 Taifuns (possibly an extra 30 as well) is all they will need since these are not vehicles suited for fighting regular armies.

-New patrol boat of sub-2000 ton size.
    Aha. That's what I was expecting. The Albatros (Grisha) class ships will not last forever and they will need a replacement. The Steregushys are just to big and expensive to replace them on a one to one basis. I expect this new class to bebuilt in large numbers.

-Frigates Ladny and Pitlivy to be repaired for 16.5 million USD
    Indication that these Black Sea veterans will serve probably till the end of the decade. Why not, they are reliable, capable and uncomplicated ships that can still do their duties in a cost effective manner.

-3 An-140 for 65 million USD.
    More work for the Aviacor plant in Samara.

-7 AW-139
    What a waste of time & money. Paying for this Italian design from the eighties when Ka-226 or Ansatt can do the job. Or why not wait for the Ka-62 which is around the corner.

-50 million USD worth of rifles and ammo (sniper weapons apparently).
    50 million is approximatly the price of 100.000 AK-74M rifles with magazines (special price for the MoD) or 50.000 SVDs or 10 - 15.000 SV-99 or other special sniper rifles. But I guess a good chunk of that money is for ammo.

-32 YR-77 mine-clearing vehicles to go through capremont. 2.5 million USD.
    -61 PTS-2 amphibious vehicles to go through capremont. 7 million USD.
    -23 MDK-3 trench-digging vehicles to go through capremont. 6.5 million USD.
    -58 IMR-2 engineering vehicles to go through capremont. 9 million USD.
    -30 BREM-1 evacuation vehicles to go through capremont. 17.5 million USD.
    -30 BTR-D family vehicles to go through capremont. 4.5 million USD.
    Glad that attention is paid to special vehicles.
    SWAT Pointman

Post  SWAT Pointman Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:24 pm

"Commander of Land Forces of Russia Vladimir Chirkin visited Izhmash"
    http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.izhmash.ru%2Frus%2Fnews%2F240113.shtml
    Accompanied by the Director General of the NGO "Izhmash" Constantine Busygina he met a weapons manufacturing company: visited the shop machining, barreled production and assembly plant, was interested in the production capacity and the potential for modern firearms.

After inspection of production for the Commander made a presentation of all manufactured "Izhmash" images automatic and sniper weapons, and high-tech.

Look like there's a better chance the Army will buy the AK-12 or modernized AK-74.
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:00 am

Arrow http://gurkhan.blogspot.com/2013/02/faberlic.html

New modular arctic IFV.

Russian Ground Forces: News #1 - Page 19 Ucua469

Here's the new APS. Afghanistan?

Russian Ground Forces: News #1 - Page 19 %25D0%25A42
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:33 pm

http://www.lenta.ru/news/2013/02/19/terminator/

In september this year UVZ will show new modification of BMPT. Also in 2014 and 2015 Russian army will buy T-90S tanks and other armored equipment. This is good decision to buy more T-90 tanks before Armata is ready for production.
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:19 pm

It'll probably be based on the T-72 chassis vs. the T-90 chassis, minus the grenade launchers. Very appealing to operators of the T-72 who want their vehicles to be more effective in MOUT.

The more I look at the Syrian War, the more I think an upgrade like this is needed. Countries on shoestring budgets needs ways to keep their dated armor relevant.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:08 pm

Interesting... hope Terminator 2 is as good as the movie... Smile

Looking at the article "Tank support combat vehicle "Terminator" is intended for destruction of enemy armored vehicles (including light tanks) and manpower. Its weight is about 48 tons, range - 550 km and a top speed on the highway - not less than 60 kilometers per hour. Machine equipped twin 30-millimeter cannon 2A42, MG PKMT 7.62 millimeter, two grenade launchers AGS-17 as well as a launcher for anti-tank guided missile "Ataka-T"."

I rather suspect that even two 30mm cannon would not be sufficient for engaging enemy light tanks at useful ranges and that the Terminator 2 might have a 57mm or 45mm gun mount. It might have a KPB 23mm cannon which is smaller and lighter than a 30mm cannon but with a powerful HE shell of moderate velocity for use against ground targets. I think as a compromise the 57/45mm gun with guided shells could take on point targets on the ground and in the air well beyond the effective range of 30mm cannon or Ataka-T missiles and firing 3-4 shells should make up for the smaller HE punch compared with a guided missile. For area targets like troops, or to use against firing positions or as suppressive fire the 23mm HMG would be small, compact, with effective ammo that can be carried in larger volume than 30mm cal ammo.

I rather suspect the suggestion of a reduction in crew size might mean the T2 is a turret system that could possibly be dropped into any suitable tank chassis, so for export it could be used in T-55/54 and T-72 tanks as well as old model western tanks.

The further purchases of T-90 tanks is a very good sign and should allow UVZ to practice producing modern tanks and allow more of the T-72 chassis to be released for other uses including BTRT and MSTA.
    Shadåw
    Shadåw

Post  Shadåw Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:47 pm

medo wrote:http://www.lenta.ru/news/2013/02/19/terminator/

In september this year UVZ will show new modification of BMPT. Also in 2014 and 2015 Russian army will buy T-90S tanks and other armored equipment. This is good decision to buy more T-90 tanks before Armata is ready for production.
    Isn`t the T-90S the "export" version of the T-90, as well as the onne used by the indians?

Hm..article does not name which version of the T-90. i`m more or less hoping for the T-90MS, but they could just order the standard version like before.

Much remains to be seen then.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:43 am

Isn`t the T-90S the "export" version of the T-90, as well as the onne used by the indians?

Yes, the Russian Army will likely buy T-90A or further modifications of it like the T-90AM or perhaps T-90AM2 with Armata components adapted... a bit like the Su-27M called Su-35 didn't enter wide spread service, but when a new flanker was ready it has early PAK FA components added to make an Su-35 that is quite different from the Su-27M.

Hm..article does not name which version of the T-90. i`m more or less hoping for the T-90MS, but they could just order the standard version like before.

I suspect they might order a T-90AM perhaps with some of the very expensive bits left out but perhaps upgraded with new stuff developed for the new vehicle families so there is continuity and larger order numbers for equipment and parts and of course fewer new systems to learn... as well as an earlier opportunity to bug fix before the new vehicles are rolled out.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:10 am

This is the problem with constant "reforms" and shuffling of personnel.

Production was at a good steady rate, then they stopped it for several years, now with Armata even closer, they are going to buy them again?
    Ridiculous.

Maybe has something to do with the T-72 upgrade not actually being anywhere close to T-90A level.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:08 pm

I think BMPT will sooner or later find its way in Russian army units. We will see what weapon configuration it will have. I hope they will replace Ataka ATGM with newer Kornet-M, give higher elevation for main gun(s) together with new FCS, which follow with all channels to highest elevation and install C4I inside.
    Austin

Post  Austin Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Surprise Check Reveals ‘Systemic Problems’ in Russian Military

MOSCOW, February 22 (RIA Novosti) - A series of random checks in the Russian Armed Forces this week revealed a number of systemic shortcomings, General Staff chief Valery Gerasimov said on Friday.

Combat alert checks were carried out in the Central and South Military Districts, the Airborne Assault Forces (VDV) and military transport aviation units.

Alert duty officers in some military units demonstrated an insufficiently prompt and ineffective response in processing orders via automated combat command and control systems, especially in VDV troops and at the 201st Military Base in Tajikistan, Gerasimov said during a teleconference.

He also criticized the level of cooperation between the 201st Military Base command and the local Tajik authorities.

Military vehicle drivers, mechanics and operators showed insufficient handling skills, leading to delays and disruptions on the march and during the fulfillment of combat training missions, particularly in the 28th Motorized Rifle Brigade of the Central Military District, he said.

Other problems included low-accuracy shooting and shelling results, especially by tanks and infantry fighting vehicles.

“The majority of subunits only received 'C' grades,” the General Staff chief said, adding that many officers commissioned last year failed to demonstrate good overall results.

Gerasimov ordered military commanders at all levels to analyze the causes of their problems, draw up remedial plans and follow them meticulously.

The Defense Ministry said on Tuesday the checks were carried out for the first time in the past 20 years and will now be conducted on a regular basis.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:16 am

http://www.arms-expo.ru/049057054050124051048055052050.html

AMZ is making 146 armored Tigrs in 2013 and 770 BTRs.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:46 am

TR1 wrote:http://www.arms-expo.ru/049057054050124051048055052050.html

AMZ is making 146 armored Tigrs in 2013 and 770 BTRs.

http://twower.livejournal.com/985458.html

According to the above site, the BTR number is 2770.

Also it mentions that production will be 5.5 times greater than 2012.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:28 pm