Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+94
Scorpius
Atmosphere
Podlodka77
Finty
Krepost
ALAMO
Gomig-21
Broski
Mir
Russian_Patriot_
lancelot
lyle6
gbu48098
marcellogo
jhelb
TMA1
owais.usmani
Backman
11E
limb
Rodion_Romanovic
GunshipDemocracy
ali.a.r
Tsavo Lion
Isos
Luq man
Hole
hoom
miketheterrible
LMFS
PapaDragon
archangelski
mnztr
nastle77
AMCXXL
ATLASCUB
Azi
bojcistv
Singular_trafo
Dorfmeister
Svyatoslavich
SeigSoloyvov
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
ult
eehnie
SuperEtendard
AlfaT8
Walther von Oldenburg
JohninMK
max steel
BlackArrow
higurashihougi
franco
Berkut
d_taddei2
nemrod
putinboss
Giulio
Honesroc
RTN
Kyo
Mig25
kvs
Big_Gazza
Mike E
Cyberspec
magnumcromagnon
Werewolf
mack8
CaptainPakistan
collegeboy16
gaurav
Firebird
Zivo
Sujoy
a89
dino00
flamming_python
KomissarBojanchev
Arrow
Corrosion
victor7
SOC
TR1
Mindstorm
medo
George1
Viktor
Russian Patriot
Austin
sepheronx
GarryB
Stealthflanker
Admin
98 posters

MiG-31BM/Κ Interceptor/Attack aircraft: News

SuperEtendard
    SuperEtendard

MiG-31BM/Κ Interceptor/Attack aircraft: News - Page 18 Empty Re: MiG-31BM/Κ Interceptor/Attack aircraft: News

Post  SuperEtendard Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:05 am

GarryB wrote:Well for countries with large areas of territory that want low numbers of aircraft to provide decent coverage like Iran, Canada, Australia, Indonesia... the MiG-31 would be ideal.

Imagine some new builds with belly mounts optimised for 6 weapons, plus perhaps three wing pylons on each wing plus a wing tip pod for ESM pods.

That would be 6 belly mounted R-33E or R-37ME (RVV-BD) missiles, plus say four RVV-SD medium range missiles and two RVV-MD short range missiles for export aircraft... quite a potent load for each aircraft...

Like my country Argentine!

We have a huge country to protect and a litle problem in the South Atlantic.

A problem call Typhoon and F-35B (in the near future).

MiG-31BM/Κ Interceptor/Attack aircraft: News - Page 18 Empty Re: MiG-31BM/Κ Interceptor/Attack aircraft: News

Post  Guest Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:17 am

SuperEtendard wrote:
    GarryB wrote:Well for countries with large areas of territory that want low numbers of aircraft to provide decent coverage like Iran, Canada, Australia, Indonesia... the MiG-31 would be ideal.

Imagine some new builds with belly mounts optimised for 6 weapons, plus perhaps three wing pylons on each wing plus a wing tip pod for ESM pods.

That would be 6 belly mounted R-33E or R-37ME (RVV-BD) missiles, plus say four RVV-SD medium range missiles and two RVV-MD short range missiles for export aircraft... quite a potent load for each aircraft...

Like my country Argentine!

We have a huge country to protect and a litle problem in the South Atlantic.

A problem call Typhoon and F-35B (in the near future).

A Su-30 would be even more ideal for Argentina over an interceptor like the MiG-31. The Su-30 does everything well and has a good track record against the Typhoon.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:32 am

The Su-30 would not be a bad choice for Argentina, though the MiG-31 would allow them to control the potential conflict being much faster than either the typhoon or F-35 and with its large powerful radar it should be able to detect targets at extended ranges and be able to engage them at maximum range.

the Su-30 would be a potent fighterbomber, but then the MiG-31 has extensive air to air and air to ground capabilities too.

The British would have to sit up and take both aircraft very seriously... I like the MiG-31 but would probably lean to the Su-30 as being cheaper to buy and operate and also more flexible with a much wider range of upgrade options.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:29 pm

Berkut wrote:

Dude, no one will sell MiG-31 and no one will buy a plane that is not sold. There is no MiG-31's to sell. The production is over, and producing landing gear components wouldn't magically bring production back, there isn't a gram of logic in that. No one is talking about bringing back MiG-21 or MiG-23 production just because components for it are still made.

It is almost as if people turned off their logic or something.

The MiG-31 is still officially offered to export. You can see it in this link:

http://www.roe.ru/mmc/index.html

(See Export Products -> Aircraft Materiel -> View Catalog -> Fighters, Bombers and Combat Trainers)

Not sure if it would be new or used units, but Russia is offering the MiG-31.

I would not count the MiG-31 as totally out of production.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:06 pm

eehnie wrote:
    Berkut wrote:

Dude, no one will sell MiG-31 and no one will buy a plane that is not sold. There is no MiG-31's to sell. The production is over, and producing landing gear components wouldn't magically bring production back, there isn't a gram of logic in that. No one is talking about bringing back MiG-21 or MiG-23 production just because components for it are still made.

(See Export Products -> Aircraft Materiel -> View Catalog -> Fighters, Bombers and Combat Trainers)

Considering, that Kazakhstan is also MiG-31 user, you could see ROE as supplier of supplies for MiG-31 in Kazakhstan and this could be a reason to have it in their catalog, but I don't think Russia offer MiG-31 to anyone as it is no more in production and RuAF reactivate them for their Arctic region.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:07 am

medo wrote:
    eehnie wrote:
    Berkut wrote:

Considering, that Kazakhstan is also MiG-31 user, you could see ROE as supplier of supplies for MiG-31 in Kazakhstan and this could be a reason to have it in their catalog, but I don't think Russia offer MiG-31 to anyone as it is no more in production and RuAF reactivate them for their Arctic region.

I do not know it exactly, but there is a lot of Russian stuff of different types in use in many countries that I think still have supply for parts, but are not listed by ROE for export.
    Giulio
    Giulio

Post  Giulio Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:46 pm

It is not enough to have an aircraft. It needs to have above all very skilled engineers and pilots. And again, what could happen if a Mig-31BM falls in the wrong hands?
    Libya had Tu-22 Blinders, but Libyan Blinders did not have an in flight refueling probe.
    Also some aircraft's components, I think, it is better that do not fall in wrong hands.
    The Carter administration gave the F-14 Tomcats to the Shah of the Iran, but soon after they fell in Khomeyni hands.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:45 pm

MiG-31BM/Κ Interceptor/Attack aircraft: News - Page 18 17764710

MiG-31BM with AKU-170 adapters for R-77-1 missiles. Very Happy
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:36 am

Guess that means R-77-1 should be inducted soon.  Good.

I would love to see an updated variant of the MiG-31BM with newer technologies used, as a new aircraft.  I mean, replace a lot of the metal with composite materials to lighten the aircraft as well as increase strength/durability.  As well, use newer engines (or restart production of same engines but with newer technologies to increase efficiency greatly) and obviously new radar.  A much newer Zaslon radar using newest techniques of manufacturing.  Maybe AESA.

Such a beautiful fighter and lots of capabilities left in her.
    Berkut
    Berkut

Post  Berkut Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:53 pm

sepheronx wrote:I mean, replace a lot of the metal with composite materials to lighten the aircraft as well as increase strength/durability.

Have you checked lately what speeds MiG-31 is supposed to fly at?
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:11 pm

Berkut wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:I mean, replace a lot of the metal with composite materials to lighten the aircraft as well as increase strength/durability.

Have you checked lately what speeds MiG-31 is supposed to fly at?

No.  I havent kept up much on anything weapons related besides technology and thats it.  Rest is economics mostly.  All I know is it was Mach 2.8 maximum thats about it.
    Berkut
    Berkut

Post  Berkut Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:39 pm

And how stable do you think composites would be at M2.8? Point being; replacing metal to composite panels would be useless on MiG-31 and would not offer any extra performance but rather give worse performance.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:23 pm

I hope new MiG-31BM from the second contract for Arctic units will replace old RWR sensors with new Pastel RWR sensors, get optical MAWS sensors like those on Su-35, chaff and flare dispensers and radar jammers for self protection. They all must have IFR probe to increase range and patrol time.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:31 pm

Berkut wrote:And how stable do you think composites would be at M2.8? Point being; replacing metal to composite panels would be useless on MiG-31 and would not offer any extra performance but rather give worse performance.

I thought composites were generally lighter and stronger than Titanium?

I am just saying it would also help with RCS reduction, at least that was the main selling point for newer jets that replaced most metal on surface with composites. But that doesnt deter me from wanting to see newer made MiG-31's Smile

Post  Guest Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:06 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    Berkut wrote:And how stable do you think composites would be at M2.8? Point being; replacing metal to composite panels would be useless on MiG-31 and would not offer any extra performance but rather give worse performance.

I am just saying it would also help with RCS reduction, at least that was the main selling point for newer jets that replaced most metal on surface with composites.  But that doesnt deter me from wanting to see newer made MiG-31's Smile
    Went over something related in my university not so long ago. I would like to take a shot at relating these concepts. Metals like titanium are a lot more versatile than composites. For example, titanium has higher ranges of elasticity and it still handles heat remarkably well. Composites like ceramics (honestly don't know about their usage in aircraft fuselages) can handle high temperatures even better but have low ranges of elasticity. At the performance envelope that MiG-31 is capable of (such high linear speeds and still able to pull some rather tight maneuvers), composites may not be able handle what the MiG-31 is capable of.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:40 pm

Ivan the Colorado wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:

I am just saying it would also help with RCS reduction, at least that was the main selling point for newer jets that replaced most metal on surface with composites.  But that doesnt deter me from wanting to see newer made MiG-31's Smile
    Went over something related in my university not so long ago. I would like to take a shot at relating these concepts. Metals like titanium are a lot more versatile than composites. For example, titanium has higher ranges of elasticity and it still handles heat remarkably well. Composites like ceramics (honestly don't know about their usage in aircraft fuselages) can handle high temperatures even better but have low ranges of elasticity. At the performance envelope that MiG-31 is capable of (such high linear speeds and still able to pull some rather tight maneuvers), composites may not be able handle what the MiG-31 is capable of.

Awesome. Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know this. +1.

Post  Guest Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:55 pm

"The MiG-31 BM will not allow any stealth aircraft, cruise missiles or hypersonic drones to escape. This aircraft is capable of simultaneously striking out six and tracking up to 10 air targets."
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:14 am

Last batch of Mig-31BM's for the 2015 order turned over to the VKS;

"November 25, 2015 in the flight-test facility PJSC" NAZ "Sokol" was handed over to the final batch of upgraded MiG-31, the Russian Defense Ministry in 2015 state defense order, "- said in a statement.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:33 am

franco wrote:Last batch of Mig-31BM's for the 2015 order turned over to the VKS;

"November 25, 2015 in the flight-test facility PJSC" NAZ "Sokol" was handed over to the final batch of upgraded MiG-31, the Russian Defense Ministry in 2015 state defense order, "- said in a statement.

how many BMs we have till now?
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:43 pm

George1 wrote:
    franco wrote:Last batch of Mig-31BM's for the 2015 order turned over to the VKS;

how many BMs we have till now?

I don't have an exact count but estimate would be in the 50-60% of that 110 contract figure. Supposedly to be finished in 2018.
    Berkut
    Berkut

Post  Berkut Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:56 pm

Considering a bunch are either not photographed yet and/or not handed over, over 80 frames.
    ult

Post  ult Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:56 am

5 more Mig-31BSM have been delivered.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1601799.html

franco
    franco

Post  franco Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:48 pm

ult wrote:5 more Mig-31BSM have been delivered.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1601799.html

According to this article this makes 73 Mig-31BM's completed since the upgrades started of which one has since crashed. Will leave 72 operational or 6 squadrons.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:00 am

Russian Primorye Air Regiment to Get 3 MiG-31BM Interceptors By Year-End

The Primorye-based Russian Aerospace Forces' regiment is to receive three advanced MiG-31BM fighters, according to Russian Defense Ministry.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — A Russian Aerospace Forces' air regiment located in the Far Eastern Primorye Territory will receive three advanced MiG-31BM (NATO reporting name Foxhound) interceptor aircraft by the end of 2015, the country's Defense Ministry said in a statement on Thursday.

At the moment the Eastern Military District's acceptance commission is completing the inspection of the jets at Nizhny Novgorod-based Sokol aircraft manufacturing plant.

"The Primorye-based regiment is to receive the fighters once the necessary documents are signed and test flights are completed. The reception of the fighters is scheduled to be completed in mid-December," the ministry's statement reads.

The ministry added that the Eastern Military District's fighter aviation regiment, based at the Centralnaya Uglovaya airfield near Vladivostok, in 2016 will be reequipped with advanced Su-30SM (Flanker) and Russian Sukhoi Su-35S (Flanker-E) multirole fighters.

Russia is currently carrying out a $325-billion rearmament program to achieve a 70-percent modernization of its military by 2020.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20151203/1031213635/mig31bm-primorye-russia.html#ixzz3tLRCsxo3
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:19 pm

in 2016 will be reequipped with advanced Su-30SM (Flanker) and Russian Sukhoi Su-35S (Flanker-E)

That is a little curious... without new orders Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:55 am