Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    BUK SAM system Thread

    dino00
    dino00

    Posts : 1346
    Points : 1387
    Join date : 2012-10-12
    Age : 32
    Location : portugal

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  dino00 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:17 pm

    Buk-M3 will knock down everything that moves

    https://armystandard.ru/news/t/201910281520-azw5a.html
    avatar
    calripson

    Posts : 249
    Points : 278
    Join date : 2013-10-26

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Anyone Know The Rate of Procurement for BukM3 ?

    Post  calripson on Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:07 am

    Anyone know how many BukM3 have been deployed to date (launch vehicles) as well as the annual rate of production?
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 14713
    Points : 15212
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  George1 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:28 pm

    The 61st anti-aircraft missile brigade in the Central Military District receives the Buk-M3 air defense system

    https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3847762.html
    franco
    franco

    Posts : 3352
    Points : 3384
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  franco on Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:52 pm

    calripson wrote:Anyone know how many BukM3 have been deployed to date (launch vehicles) as well as the annual rate of production?

    This above is the 3rd for sure and possibly 4th brigade. Each brigade has 3-4 battalions of 6 TELAR's and 3 TELL's each. Appear to be produced at 1 brigade per year and suspect like the S-400 unit's, the re-equip is not total in the first year.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 5581
    Points : 5573
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  Isos on Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:20 am

    franco wrote:
    calripson wrote:Anyone know how many BukM3 have been deployed to date (launch vehicles) as well as the annual rate of production?

    This above is the 3rd for sure and possibly 4th brigade. Each brigade has 3-4 battalions of 6 TELAR's and 3 TELL's each. Appear to be produced at 1 brigade per year and suspect like the S-400 unit's, the re-equip is not total in the first year.

    What is it replacing ? Buk-M1 which should be pretty outdated and the export version is very used by Syria near western Elint systems ? Or are they creating new forces ?
    franco
    franco

    Posts : 3352
    Points : 3384
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  franco on Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:50 pm

    The possibly 4th was advertised as a new unit. However no other information has surfaced since to confirm existence actually occurred. The others are M1 units and there were only 2-3 M2 units equipped prior to switching to the M3.
    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3820
    Points : 3904
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty buk-m2 sam

    Post  medo on Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:59 am



    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 5581
    Points : 5573
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  Isos on Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:46 pm

    https://m.kathimerini.com.cy/gr/politiki/test-tis-antiaeroporikis-amynas-me-symmetoxi-ton-rafale

    According to the auto translate in french of this article Cyprus detected Rafale at 160km. They say it was a buk system being tested but I doubt since search radar of a buk has 150km max range.

    Any idea what radar Cyprus could have used ?
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 14713
    Points : 15212
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  George1 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:45 am

    Isos wrote:https://m.kathimerini.com.cy/gr/politiki/test-tis-antiaeroporikis-amynas-me-symmetoxi-ton-rafale

    According to the auto translate in french of this article Cyprus detected Rafale at 160km. They say it was a buk system being tested but I doubt since search radar of a buk has 150km max range.

    Any idea what radar Cyprus could have used ?

    the article in greek says that "the fighter aircrafts were detected when they passed the 160 km, not at 160 km range"
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

    Posts : 3897
    Points : 3983
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  flamming_python on Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:23 am

    Isos wrote:https://m.kathimerini.com.cy/gr/politiki/test-tis-antiaeroporikis-amynas-me-symmetoxi-ton-rafale

    According to the auto translate in french of this article Cyprus detected Rafale at 160km. They say it was a buk system being tested but I doubt since search radar of a buk has 150km max range.

    Any idea what radar Cyprus could have used ?

    Cyprus has the S-300PMU in service does it not?
    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3820
    Points : 3904
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  medo on Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:55 am

    flamming_python wrote:
    Isos wrote:https://m.kathimerini.com.cy/gr/politiki/test-tis-antiaeroporikis-amynas-me-symmetoxi-ton-rafale

    According to the auto translate in french of this article Cyprus detected Rafale at 160km. They say it was a buk system being tested but I doubt since search radar of a buk has 150km max range.

    Any idea what radar Cyprus could have used ?

    Cyprus has the S-300PMU in service does it not?

    No. Cyprus buy S-300PMU, but it is now on Crete in Greece to prevent tensions between two NATO members.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 5581
    Points : 5573
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  Isos on Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:04 pm

    George1 wrote:

    the article in greek says that "the fighter aircrafts were detected when they passed the 160 km, not at 160 km range"

    Isn't it the same ?

    Do you know what radar they use for early warning ?
    dino00
    dino00

    Posts : 1346
    Points : 1387
    Join date : 2012-10-12
    Age : 32
    Location : portugal

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  dino00 on Sat May 09, 2020 2:52 pm

    In order to plan the re-equipment of units for new anti-aircraft missile systems and military air defense systems, long-term state contracts were concluded for the purchase of eight Tor-M2 air defense systems, two Tor-M2DT air defense systems, seven Buk-M3 air defense systems and one air defense system S-300V4, "Krivoruchko told the National Defense magazine
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 25031
    Points : 25575
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  GarryB on Sun May 10, 2020 4:17 am

    Isn't it the same ?

    No.

    If they are refering to a point 160km away from land or a specific point it gives you no indication of where the radar that spotted them was.

    For instance aircraft detected 160km from London is not the same as aircraft detected 160km from UK territorial waters...

    In either case the aircraft detected might have been detected by the ship they flew over, or an OTH-B radar 6,000km away.

    The 160km in this case relates to a point in space that is a distance from something but does not mean 160km was the detection range.

    Of course having said all this... what is the big deal... the Rafale is hardly a stealth fighter...
    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3820
    Points : 3904
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  medo on Sun May 10, 2020 12:17 pm

    GarryB wrote:
    Isn't it the same ?

    No.

    If they are refering to a point 160km away from land or a specific point it gives you no indication of where the radar that spotted them was.

    For instance aircraft detected 160km from London is not the same as aircraft detected 160km from UK territorial waters...

    In either case the aircraft detected might have been detected by the ship they flew over, or an OTH-B radar 6,000km away.

    The 160km in this case relates to a point in space that is a distance from something but does not mean 160km was the detection range.

    Of course having said all this... what is the big deal... the Rafale is hardly a stealth fighter...

    The French aircraft carrier from which the fighters were killed is at a distance of 240 kilometers from the point of exercise. The fighters, as soon as they passed 160 km from the point of exercise, were located and trapped by the anti-aircraft systems that took part in the air defense exercise.

    From Google translator. 160 km is from point of exercise, not from radar location. Search radar 9S18M1have range of 140 km, so it was nearer to that point of detection. Question is, if radar detect Rafale from head on or from the side and at what distance. Most probably near max. range, as Buk could not be placed very far from point of exercise. Rafale is not stealth, but is still made as low observable jet and from the front RCS should be lower than 1 m2. Max range for such radar is calibrated by standard RCS, which is deffinitively not as low as Rafale frontal RCS. If Buk radar detect Rafale head on near max range, than it is quite unpleasand surprise for French. If it detect Rafale from the side, where RCS is bigger, than this is not such problem.
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 14713
    Points : 15212
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  George1 on Sun May 10, 2020 11:11 pm

    Isos wrote:
    George1 wrote:

    the article in greek says that "the fighter aircrafts were detected when they passed the 160 km, not at 160 km range"

    Isn't it the same ?

    Do you know what radar they use for early warning ?


    medo wrote:

    From Google translator. 160 km is from point of exercise, not from radar location. Search radar 9S18M1have range of 140 km, so it was nearer to that point of detection. Question is, if radar detect Rafale from head on or from the side and at what distance. Most probably near max. range, as Buk could not be placed very far from point of exercise. Rafale is not stealth, but is still made as low observable jet and from the front RCS should be lower than 1 m2. Max range for such radar is calibrated by standard RCS, which is deffinitively not as low as Rafale frontal RCS. If Buk radar detect Rafale head on near max range, than it is quite unpleasand surprise for French. If it detect Rafale from the side, where RCS is bigger, than this is not such problem.

    In Cyprus we cant know exactly what weapons systems are availabl because of obvious reasons (Turkish presence) and many of them are kept secret for years. Very Happy Time will tell... Probably its a russian radar
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

    Posts : 1761
    Points : 1941
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  d_taddei2 on Tue May 26, 2020 2:16 am

    George1 wrote:
    Isos wrote:
    George1 wrote:

    the article in greek says that "the fighter aircrafts were detected when they passed the 160 km, not at 160 km range"

    Isn't it the same ?

    Do you know what radar they use for early warning ?


    medo wrote:

    From Google translator. 160 km is from point of exercise, not from radar location. Search radar 9S18M1have range of 140 km, so it was nearer to that point of detection. Question is, if radar detect Rafale from head on or from the side and at what distance. Most probably near max. range, as Buk could not be placed very far from point of exercise. Rafale is not stealth, but is still made as low observable jet and from the front RCS should be lower than 1 m2. Max range for such radar is calibrated by standard RCS, which is deffinitively  not as low as Rafale frontal RCS. If Buk radar detect Rafale head on near max range, than it is quite unpleasand surprise for French. If it detect Rafale from the side, where RCS is bigger, than this is not such problem.

    In Cyprus we cant know exactly what weapons systems are availabl because of obvious reasons (Turkish presence) and many of them are kept secret for years. Very Happy Time will tell... Probably its a russian radar

    Buk is definitely there seen it with my own eyes while stationed on mount olympus and troodos. They have bunkers built into the side of the mountain that they use to hide/store AD systems and radars. One of their soviet radars that was right next to us use to leak badly (as we were told) and when they used it our CCTV screens would go snow screen, we then had to grab our radios and rifle and move a along a corridor to a hardened accommodation which was roughly 60m away from our guard room. After sometime one of us would get the short straw and have to walk back down to see if the screens were still snow screen now very technical or professional i thought at the time. to me it looked like a P-35 radar it was old whatever it was i would be surprised if it was still in service now. We were only trained on AD systems and vehicles etc, Radars they didnt want us to study although we did have to log when this old radar started to be used (spinning as they said lol)
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 14713
    Points : 15212
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  George1 on Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:16 am

    Buk-M3

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Buk-m310
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 25031
    Points : 25575
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  GarryB on Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:51 am

    Nice... that is the reload truck...
    Hole
    Hole

    Posts : 2905
    Points : 2905
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 44
    Location : Merkelland

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  Hole on Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:02 pm

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Parade15
    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Parade16
    The-thing-next-door
    The-thing-next-door

    Posts : 680
    Points : 718
    Join date : 2017-09-18
    Location : Soviet Interdimentional Command

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  The-thing-next-door on Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:01 am

    Isn't the BUK-M3 already in service?
    Hole
    Hole

    Posts : 2905
    Points : 2905
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 44
    Location : Merkelland

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  Hole on Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:45 am

    But it was never shown at the Moscow parade. Just like the Bal coastal defence system, the S-300V4 and some other stuff present this year.
    dino00
    dino00

    Posts : 1346
    Points : 1387
    Join date : 2012-10-12
    Age : 32
    Location : portugal

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  dino00 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:49 pm

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Phpghw10

    Looking at Buk-M3 from the parade, if Almaz-Antey in the next buk version can increase the performance to the standard that Mod wants with a missile slightly thinner, and lighter, they could mount 8 missiles per Telar, and 16 per Tel... easier said than done.
    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3820
    Points : 3904
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  medo on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:00 pm

    I don't think, this could be a problem. Just integrate 9M96 missile to the Buk and you will get the number of missiles as well as range with long range one.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 5581
    Points : 5573
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  Isos on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:59 pm

    medo wrote:I don't think, this could be a problem. Just integrate 9M96 missile to the Buk and you will get the number of missiles as well as range with long range one.

    That's very likely going to happen. 9m96 has longer range but S-350 can't go off road with the armor vehicles contrary to the buk but which lacks long range missiles.

    It's surprising that buk didn't receive them as they were developed in the same time as buk m3 for the s-350.

    That would also benefits the grigorovitch frigate which could receive 150km range missiles in the shtil launcher with a light modernization.

    Sponsored content

    BUK SAM system Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: BUK SAM system Thread

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:41 pm